/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Old Throne Edition

Previous Thread:>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/guIyhAzS

>Archive
>>>>>>warosu.org/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>A link to the ultimate colossal science fiction and fantasy collection torrent
>Discord
Never going to be created.

Attached: __original_drawn_by_doora_dora0913__c71a24652386bbfa3d45260d8913ec75.jpg (1400x900, 1.49M)

Other urls found in this thread:

z-lib.org/
sfintranslation.com/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RyMOXmi1Zd4yvuTVHQcw5gka8YLZ1In42GJn6Rhh12E/edit#gid=67096027
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: sneed.png (1537x1498, 3M)

Any series like the Broken Empire? Either as shamelessly edgy, or with an MC as clever and asshole-ish. FUCK I love Jorg, the evil bastard.

Attached: The-Broken-Empire1.jpg (933x475, 160.7K)

My favorite part about this picture is that right wingers are dying out and mostly grey, kek

Novels for this feel?

Attached: Happily Ever After.jpg (480x4267, 572.69K)

We should burn their books too.

>It's another "hooded dude with a sword" cover
Is this the equivalent to "military dude with a gun walking at you" from video game covers?

I barely read Chinese books and I still felt like this was the most understandable image ever. Damn.

Attached: SFF Vietnam.jpg (1600x1158, 346.37K)

If that's the ironic parody opening to a story I'm extremely interested in reading/watching it. Even if it isn't, that's an amazing hook and someone should write a story based on it.
How would it go?
An initially played straight story where the MC is that guy's distant descendant and sets off on an adventure only to gradually realize the whole thing was made up bullshit and none of it actually happened that way?

I do not care nigger the series was based

I was just commenting on a trend. The book may be good or not I don't know.

I want more "military dude with a gun walking at you" books personally. There's not enough good mil sci-fi in this world.

Anyone have any good recommendations for fantasy books where the characters go on an adventure? Lots of traveling. Not in the mood for high stakes action or politics. Just a few lads going on a nice adventure. Basically The Hobbit. I've got Earthsea lined up to read next but need some more recommendations.

Thanks lads

Attached: [SubsPlease] Mushoku Tensei - 13v2 (1080p) [AF21FAEC].mkv_snapshot_12.01_[2022.01.12_19.17.59].jpg (1920x1080, 1.03M)

Discworld? Color of Magic was a fun book, though I just found a site with free audiobooks and was listening to it(the Nigel Planer version).

Need some more SFF recommendations that are mainstream enough to be on free audiobook sites.

Attached: com.png (556x901, 1.1M)

Holy BASED picked up

Is that cradle manga?

Cradle's plot isn't remotely similar to that

Attached: 1620837043157.jpg (945x945, 179.76K)

It's a parody of every xianxia/wuxia thing.

Oh yeah we need even more wokism and globohomo shilling in Scifi.

typos and mistakes sure are starting to become more frequent the more i read into book 4...

I'm sorry user, it's the lead-in to a villain transmigration comedy.

Guy dies in the middle of rageposting about how this webnovel dropped all the promising plots to become harem-of-the-week bullshit with an idiot cast. Guy transmigrates as the villain teacher and is told that if he wants to complain, he can go on adventures to fill in the plotholes and boost everyone's IQ himself. Guy does a really good job at this because for all his shitposting he really enjoyed the novel, thought the novel MC was a badass, enjoys the genre, and fucking loves all the weird monsters and plants.

Attached: harem fight 1.jpg (987x1405, 382.95K)

any books akin to neon genesis evangelion?
humanity fighting different huge monsters in sci-fi setting

Berserker, by Fred Saberhagen.
>Long ago, in a distant part of the galaxy, two alien races met—and fought a war of mutual extinction. The sole legacy of that war was the weapon that ended it: the death machines, the BERSERKERS. Guided by self-aware computers more intelligent than any human, these world-sized battle craft carved a swath of death through the galaxy—until they arrived at the outskirts of the fledgling Empire of Ma

NGE is such a bitch. It makes you realize that this is such a good concept, and then refuses to deliver.

Its not even up to date, Goodkind and Gene Wolfe are dead by now, only the old fuck and the fattie are possible alive on the right half, I don't recognise them

The final 2 movies were a crime against humanity

You are not allowed to say that on /sffg/ anymore. Delete your reply or the tranny janny will do it for you.

meant for

Reject Reverend Insanity trash, embrace wonderful The Wandering Inn

-------

I tried Warlock of the Magus World yesterday, today I shall attempt to fill the void with yet another progression fantasy, this time 'The Legendary Master’s Wife', I am in for a good time? I especially crave that good zero-to-hero or just concrete, EARNED progression. Cheat abillities that make all the work for the protagonist make me puke.

Attached: the wandering inn.jpg (297x475, 22.43K)

Tell me about it.
There's just nothing else out there that combines creative bestial alien design with semi-grounded military infrastructure.
Ah fuck. Maybe one day someone else will do it justice.

>I tried Warlock of the Magus World yesterday
How did you find it?

Twitter tranny refugees have taken over here.

Can't say tranny anymore.

Anno lost his love for the franchise. By the end he hated it and wanted to fuck the fanbase as hard as he could. Final scene was the ultimate fuck you to the people who made his career. It's a real shame they ran out of money and couldn't finish it properly the first time around before Anno's ego ruined the franchise

I'll say mentally challenged gender mutant now.

seems like appropriate replacent for tranny. Do you have any suggestions for pozzed and coomer?

Brainwashed and Demonically Possesed

jolenta wanted to fucc

The Beginning After the End kinda has this, but it doesn't really happen until like chapter 250 where he gets his ass kicked, loses everything, and permanently loses the ability to use mana

>How did you find it?
You mean, where did I download it or whether I liked it?
If first, then z-lib.org/ has a lot stuff. These days if the book isn't on zlib, I don't even bother with looking at other places.

If you mean whether I liked it, then no, it's trashy. OP protagonist that instantly gets relatively OP to his circumstances, out-plays everyone around him with his muh superiority, everyone is in awe of him, unless of course he 'hides his strength.' Ugh, the worst type of novel, I want Progression to be EARNED. This is cheap and unfulfilling as fuck.

Janny, please do your job and and take out the trash.

For those who've finished the Wizard Knight can I pick your brain about the Most Low God scene? I got the reference to Dante's inferno but I feel like I missed a lot. Why did Able go down there in the first place? Why did satan turn tail and run like a bitch? What caused the earthquakes or avalanche or whatever?

I'm pretty sure ZLib and Libgen have like 99% overlap in terms of ebooks, but Libgen doesn't restrict your number of downloads via IP. ZLib is nice thanks to thumbnails and ease of downloads though

>mass replying faggot posting OFF-TOPIC garbage
GENTLEMEN...you know what to do.

>muh stakes
Oh fuck off. You have so much of this already, instant OP is a breath of fresh air.

Me on the left

Attached: jma1ue8ww0t41.png (640x640, 659.95K)

What are some of the most entertaining books you've ever read

Discword series by Terry Pratchet

>tfw headmate gf gives you a handjob while you are trapped in the prison hole of a larp wizard village
Why didn't Thecla fuck men, by the way?

Attached: schizo femboy.jpg (1056x1072, 167.17K)

Okay, fuck this, I read 12 chapters of 'The Legendary Master’s Wife'and I am losing brain cells trying to read this, you will tell me that this is too soon to drop it, but all signs point towards it being trash. Massive infodumps, weird dialogues, transmigrator shit. I don't even care if it has some good ideas or characterization, I'm not a native english speaker but the translation is simply unbearable, my brain refuses to acknowledge what I read as story, it's borderline incoherent. And to think it was reasnlated by a PERSON, while there are people who read machine trasnlations, what kind of degenerates are they?

Fuck this, I just can't, I am dropping LMS and moving to I Shall Seal The Heavens. I think I will scratch every fan translated work off my reading list if ISSTH is also trash, I don't need to endure this. I can read thousands of good books that don't hurt me as I read them. Well, time will tell.

Why don't you reread LOTR?
Stop reading webnovel trash

just read LotM

Christopher Moore’s Bloodsucking Fiends. Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, Lamb, and A Dirty Job were good too.

So this is literary masochism.

what is the go to sanderson to see if i like him

Anyone listened to The Wandering Inn audiobooks? Is the narrator any good or no?

Interesting concept
Is that just a concept or is there an actual novel about that?

Mistborne is his most popular series. Stormlight Archives is probably his most ambitious. Warbreaker is a decent one off if you don't want to try a series first.

It would've been better if I had come across this at the beginning of the year. The below source is Cordasco's attempt at cataloguing all SFF translated into English. It has quite a lot from all over the world. This month is a focus on Asian works. For the purpose of her list, and this month, it only includes traditionally published works, as far as I can tell, and excludes light novels. Her list is for speculative fiction, but even so, some of them are of questionable inclusion.

Source:
sfintranslation.com/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RyMOXmi1Zd4yvuTVHQcw5gka8YLZ1In42GJn6Rhh12E/edit#gid=67096027

Credit: Rachel Cordasco

CHINESE WEEK
NOVEL
Baoshu The Redemption of Time
Can Xue The Last Lover
Can Xue Frontier
Can Xue Love in the New Millennium
Chen Qiufan Waste Tide
Chi Ta-wei The Membranes
Dung, Kai-cheung Atlas: The Archaeology of an Imaginary City
Hao, Jingfang Vagabonds
Koonchung, Chan The Fat Years
Lei, Xu Search for the Buried Bomber
Liu, Cixin The Three-Body Problem (Book 1)
Liu, Cixin The Dark Forest (Book 2)
Liu, Cixin Death's End (Book 3)
Liu, Cixin Ball Lightning
Liu, Cixin Supernova Era
Ma, Jian China Dream
Qi, Tang To the Sky Kingdom
She, Lao Cat Country
Su, Wei The Invisible Valley
Tse, Dorothy Snow and Shadow
Wang, Jinkang Pathological
Wang, Lixiong China Tidal Wave
Wu, Ming-Yi The Man with the Compound Eyes
Yan Ge Strange Beasts of China
Yan, Lianke The Day the Sun Died
Yong, Jin The Book and the Sword
Yong, Jin A Hero Born (The Condor Heroes, Book 1)
Yong, Jin A Bond Undone (The Condor Heroes, Book 2)
Yong, Jin A Snake Lies Waiting (The Condor Heroes, Book 3)
Yong, Jin A Heart Divided (The Condor Heroes, Book 4)

ANTHOLOGY
Broken Stars: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
Sinopticon
New Voices in Chinese Science Fiction
Touchable Unreality
The Reincarnated Giant: An Anthology of Twenty-First-Century Chinese Science Fiction
The Way Spring Arrives and Other Stories: A Collection of Chinese Science Fiction and Fantasy in Translation
That We May Live: Speculative Chinese Fiction

COLLECTION
Can Xue I Live in the Slums
Fan, Huang Zero and Other Fictions
Han, Song A Primer to Han Song
Ji Yun The Shadow Book of Ji Yun: The Chinese Classic of Weird True Tales, Horror Stories, and Occult Knowledge
Liu, Cixin The Wandering Earth
Liu, Cixin To Hold Up the Sky
Oobmab The Flock of Ba-Hui and Other Stories
Xia Jia A Summer Beyond Your Reach

Attached: sff.png (1200x675, 990.01K)

>'The Legendary Master’s Wife'
The title itself is enough to tell you it's garbage.

Bro you are reading webnovels. What the fuck.

It's an actual completed webnovel, but transmigrator guy's efforts to be nice to the novel MC accidentally turn the novel MC gay, I'm sorry again user.

Attached: 3bDL334XA6fYOXL0dVXH9P.jpg (1024x731, 89.95K)

>implying webnovels aren't the avant garde medium that will bring about the next wave of sff
Guess you aren't as big a fan of speculative fiction as the rest of us. /sffg/ is a webnovel general now.