Ad Astra

Very good movie, good performance from Pitt, good special effects, subtle but effective, I was a little bummed out that there were no aliens in the end but it's not a deal breaker, definitely one of the better space flicks in the last 20 years alongside Interstellar and Life.

Attached: Ad_Astra_-_film_poster.jpg (220x326, 98.07K)

I didn't know the movie was so irrelevant/disliked that no one even wants to talk about it, I should have just made a general space movies thread.

the plot wasn't that memorable to me but the movie looked nice and I remember I thought it did a great job portraying the vastness of space

Shame... I had been so much looking forward to it that time.

Agreed. Seeing it in theaters was my favorite movie experience of that year. The whole Neptune sequence was awesome on the big screen.

>memorable
I guess that's because the movie's plotline is simple and not anything grand, but that is one of the reasons I liked it, using space as the backdrop to human struggle might be cheesy on paper but they managed to make it work.

I hated it. It felt too much like some reimagining of Apocalypse Now

I feel like in the last 10 years there's not that many movies that stick to the public consciousness, they come and go, some movie get discussed for months then drop off the face of the planet, others somehow persevere like Nolan's movies (Tenet is perhaps the exception), most threads here are about capeshit and starshit, which I guess explain why people stopped talked about these independent movies and only care to discuss stuff that have a multiverse/universe behind them.

>i never cared about you… or your mother
>i know dad
Kino, i loved it

Yup, I'm glad that it used practical effects instead of going full CG, this and Interstellar are probably the best looking space movies in the last 10 years, that's how I feel anyway.

Only good bit , love neptune...event horizon features it aswell.

What? I can't even draw any parallels between the two, and I rewatched apocalypse like a month ago, it's that fresh.

Apocalypse Now was one of the inspirations of the movie, but that's a weird reason to hate it.

Needed more moon pirates and space apes, less daddy issues.

They should have chose a Sci Fi concept and stuck with it. It was like flipping through a Popular Science magazine. Any of the concepts could have been kino in their own right.

>Space elevator
>Moon pirates
>Derelict space station with angry monkeys

These were way more interesting than the main plot.

I have watched this movie 5 times but the only part of it I can remember is the beginning where he falls off the tower

I liked the part where he's surfing on the space rocks on Neptune, that was radical dude

>out of nowhere: chase with moon buggies for no reason
dropped

A memorable movie has to be quotable if nothing. This movie was underdeveloped. While the world portrayed in it was interesting and other visual aspects were neat as well. It had nothing really much going for it in many areas. Gray is known for his relationship dramas. Why couldn't have had written a tigher script than this? Make it a soft scifi with engaging human drama or go all autistic hard scifi.. Or, go Bay route. Make a trashy yee-ha space adventure.
He failed but well, he is still making movies. Some Period drama with Anne Hathaway is in works.

The plot is literally Heart of Darkness.

I thought it was treading a lot of old ground; it was obviously an homage to Apocalypse Now and I thought thematically it borrowed heavily from Gravity with the larger "space is not a way to escape our global nor our personal problems on Earth" theme, but it was very well made and was effective in making a similar point to the movies that it borrowed from. Solid 7.5/10 imo.

>out of nowhere
Humans are selfish beings who keep fighting amongst themselves even after they left the planet to escape those things.

>Main character goes on a journey they narrate
>Main character visits interesting locations on their journey but is only passing through
>Main character is searching for a highly respected individual and sees themself in that individual

It felt like plagiarism to me. I love Apocalypse Now though.

>quotable if nothing
Seriously? I guess I don't feel that way cause I'm ESL.
>Gray
I like his work, the lost city of Z was awesome.

Wasn't it something about moon pirates or something? The larger point being we hadn't achieved some utopian "we'll never have to worry about lack of resources once we tap the infinite potential of space" vision and that people are still people even when free of Earth?

>Gravity
I don't know why, but I could never finish this movie even though it's supposedly a great one.

>Main character goes on a journey they narrate
>Main character visits interesting locations on their journey but is only passing through

Apocalypse Now did not invent those basic storytelling elements user.

still out of nowhere
it wasn't set up, explained well, realized, or impactful on the overall story
it was just some producers idea to spice up that part of the film because NPC attention spans are too short
the holywood rule is that all expensive films must have action scenes in each act

That's the plot to a bunch of other movies though

It's a movie that you really had to see in theaters imo. It was made to be watched in 3D and is very cool when you see it that way.

Scorsese described marvel movies as theme park ride. Gravity in fact IS a theme park ride. It had to be seen in the theaters.

I never said it did. I was just drawing parallels between the two.

I think they should have revealed that he did discover aliens while he was alone to make the ending more grand, but Pitt's performance obviously elevates the movie.

>falling off the tower
That was rad as fuck, I love these "accidents in space" scenes because 80 percent of the time they're fantastic sequences.

cool
>moon buggy scene
>overall space visuals

retard
>swimming and climbing into the rocket
>muh daddy issues

>it wasn't set up, explained well, realized, or impactful on the overall story
But isn't that how it is with failed ambushes IRL as well?

>still out of nowhere
There was literally a line about moon pirates 10 minutes earlier in the film that made me say "wtf? pirates?"

It was pretty cool, but I literally cannot remember anything else about that movie. Something about finding his father in space. It just wasn't at all memorable.

I see, so just like Avatar, because that one was also said to be the experience of a lifetime when watched in theaters in 3d.

>Sandra Bullcock is believable as an astronaut
I guess you have never met any smart people like astronauts, pilots, or high-tier scientists irl
playing someone smarter than yourself is where most actors fail at their craft
I thought Pitt was OK in Ad Astra where he was going through mantras and checklists

This movie was total shit. It made zero sense. They don't know how space travel works. Pirates on the moon? Irrelevant time wasting detour to cannibal baboon spaceship? I turned it off after that scene. It's rare I don't finish a movie but this one was terrible.

Honestly... it's better that way, cause you will experience the cool scenes like it's the first time every time you rewatch it. To this day I can't rewatch BvS even though it's one of my favorite movies, because I still remember a lot of its scenes.

>and Life
hahaha ok your being retarded on purpose

>>Sandra Bullcock is believable as an astronaut
Bro... he never said that in his post, where did you even pull that from?

I was going to say the Martian but I remembered that Yea Forums hates it so I went with a recent space watch. What other movie would you have said?

Being trapped isn't much of a selling point

>LISTEN UP FUCKFACE!
>IF YOU DON"T PUT A CHASE SCENE IN THE SECOND ACT I'M GOING TO SNAP YOUR DICK OFF AND SHOVE IT UP YOUR ASS!
>make it space pirates or something

Attached: less.jpg (1280x720, 74.34K)

>They don't know how space travel works
Does that matter when telling a story?
>they don't know how time trave works
>they don't know how flying works
>they don't know how guns work
I don't think such technical matters can ruin a movie, unless your obsessed with those technical details.

didn't know rockets have ladder and access hatches in the bottom

I know, but my point is those aren't really defining traits of Apocalypse Now. You might as well be saying "Ad Astra is a movie, Apocalypse Now is a movie; they're basically the same thing!"

Another bait and switch "scifi" movie that has nothing to do with scifi. Might be interesting to whiny faggots with daddy issues.

Attached: 1622170984329.jpg (549x549, 200.2K)

>I thought it did a great job portraying the vastness of space

That's what I thought too. It wasn't anything special but it was comfy viewing

The entire idea is beyond comprehension. Where do these moon pirates live? How do they make money? How do they get to Earth and back? Why don't satellites pick up their movements? Also why do they use buggies to travel across the moon? The gravity on the moon is so low that it's not only extremely slow but dangerous. If privately funded space pirates exist then they must have vehicles capable of suborbital flight.
That might apply 40 years ago but after Interstellar and Gravity films about space travel are expected to have a baseline of scientific accuracy. But Ad Astra has Brad Pitt making an unscheduled stop to a derelict space station which is not only miraculous that they can be that close in the vastness of space, but such a correction would send them millions of miles off course. Forget about Mars now Brad Pitt, you're going extrasolar.

>I'm too stupid to notice details
must be nice gliding through life completely unaware of most of what is going on around you

i was with you until the last word, that was my punishment for reading to the end

recently you have no options other than interstellar and ad astra, that im aware of, both have their faults but as far as vibey space drama goes they are the only ones up there with 2001

I was pretty disappointed with this but maybe I had too high hopes. One thing it captured very well was that feeling of being so far & isolated from home, only other movie to capture it better was 2001. Then it ruins it by having him stupidly leap through space and get home like superman or some shit. I can’t believe that a guy can fall out of space twice, I had to suspend my disbelief for the first time but not again. 2001 the guy doesn’t even come home which was the only right outcome.

Technical details only matter to those who are on the specific field of that detail. Average folks don't notice them or even know about them.

Posters here talking about the lack of movies that portrays the vastness of space and the feel of loneliness up there, I feel like the game Out There covers that niche, obviously you will need to use your imagination to fill those scenes in your head but I really think you will enjoy it, I know I did.

Details matter to people who are paying attention and aren't idiots, regardless of their field
Some of us are able to follow the story and pay attention to the details at the same time
So when stupid shit happens, we notice
>Average folks
are now less aware than other animals

Attached: troyplane.jpg (414x543, 57.68K)

Sunshine could maybe go in the list

Even with the crazed murderer?

>So when stupid shit happens, we notice
Yeah, but that's not necessarily a movie-breaker if it has nothing to do with plot. Like the wrong costumes worn by extra characters in a medieval Era, or a gun shooting 12 bullets out of it without the need to change mags.