Michael Crichton

>At one point of the novel, Ian Malcolm is asked by Kelly why his opinion of the internet and social media is so low. Malcolm explains that he fears the next generation will turn into a bunch of people repeating the same opinion they're told to say by "the popular kids", without ever truly analyzing it, arguing against said opinion, or doing anything beyond repeating it as an argument, ruining the individuality and chances a person has to think for themselves, to criticize, and debate, because disagreement is the key humanity has to evolve and become better. His conclusion is that a hivemind so big could be dangerous, because one terrible opinion could turn into millions and at one point no one would dare to argue against anything that goes against that, and humanity would never go beyond what they had been told to think, forever.
Holy fucking shit, Crichton predicted so much shit. All his books are absolutely kino. Would Hollywood dare to adapt any of his works these days?

Attached: 1225908645_1.jpg (670x330, 55.18K)

>people repeating the same opinion they're told to say by "the popular kids", without ever truly analyzing it, arguing against said opinion, or doing anything beyond repeating it as an argument, ruining the individuality and chances a person has to think for themselves, to criticize, and debate, because disagreement is the key humanity has to evolve and become better.
So Yea Forums?

There are no popular kids in Yea Forums, everyone is anonymous. But yes, the point stands. All social media and internet is dangerous. Hiveminds as whole are dangerous.

>There are no popular kids in Yea Forums
Explain why there are people who repeat the same opinions they hear on /pol/ and Yea Forums then.

Because they're from /pol/ and Yea Forums. Most likely those same people.

Just wait until you read Tom Clancy
Rainbow six features a global pandemic, the Olympics, and terrorists taking hostages in Disneyland

>dude like.......... masses are DUMB
Holy shit, bros. I can't believe he PREDICTED le clownworld!!!!!!!

>NPC gets mad he got called out
>he defends his worldview with an NPC meme
He was right.

Watch his Charlie Rose interview after "Next" it is pure kino. He literally predicted the "progressive trust the science" droolers

Attached: HowToControlPeople.png (606x1592, 135.19K)

>disagree with cliche opinion
>calls me an NPC
Crichton readers, everyone.

Some people just saw it coming.

Attached: mgs2 charts.jpg (408x2652, 626.78K)

Crichton was a god dammed prophet

Attached: state of fear.jpg (1434x2560, 222.95K)

>The world is mostly comprised of drooling retard NPCs and they are even here this very moment!
Wow you really stumbled onto something here dude. How observant

>So Yea Forums?
No. There is literally no social sanction for being a dumbarse on Yea Forums, I can already tell I just abused you for being a newfag in a different thread and told you to fuck off. You didn't, and now you've into this thread to be just as stupid as you were there, yet people are unironically taking you seriously because you're anonymous.
You're wrong.
Which popular opinion is that?

The Jew fears this book

Yeah that shit got him in ever increasing amounts of trouble ten years ago.
Never mind they couldn't actually argue against a single thing he said, and we behaving exactly as he said they would, they'd burn you at the stake for climate heresy if they could.

Yea Forums is not immune to hivemind, but less so than other social media platforms since there is bot anonymity and no upvote system.

>look this up
>supposed to be impressive because it's full of footnotes
>they're all wrong
lmao

Not as big of a deal as his other predictions, but in this movie he predicted retinal scans as a security feature a decade before it became reality.

Attached: MV5BZTY2OTk5OGYtOGUyNS00MWJlLTg3NWEtM2Y0NmFlZjE4YWE0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg (1773x2678, 811.96K)

>Yea Forums is not immune to hivemind
Yes it is.
You can go to /pol/ right now and give your best defence of niggers and jews and be treated the same as any other poster.
You won't be treated well.
Just the same as any other poster.

The reason people don't is because there aren't many good defenses of niggers and Jews. On an even playing field the racists make good points.

Why are you talking about Al gores movie?

What social media were they talking about in 1993?

>You can go to /pol/ right now and give your best defence of niggers and jews and be treated the same as any other poster.
Except for the barrage of replies, anti-nigger memes, gore and maybe even CP, causing said reply and thread to be deleted in the span of minutes. Not to mention how Pavlovian it is for some retards on here to angrily reply to a thread with a bunch of inline replies.

Just because you won't get banned doesn't mean there isn't a hive mind.

Attached: 1636011857490.jpg (772x248, 37.28K)

Crichton was ahead of the game on so much shit going on now, read Jurassic Park and you’ll see how he predicted the state of bioengineering in the near future.
Fuck I miss him so much.

>If I say something that others disagree with, they'll disagree with me.
See, no hivemind.
The CP spammers will be banned and you can make the same thread again and again until they're all gone. All you lose is time. And if that's a precious resource to you, you don't belong here.

They tried to astroturf this whole website on the Ukraine war, and ONLY the faggot mod on /k/ made that even possible in the attempt. It didn't work, user immediately clicked to shenanigans and went to [redacted] to have the actual conversation.

Or Capeshit, like my god Yea Forums CALLS IT CAPESHIT, and I fucking love it. We discuss it constantly. If someone comes in with some dumb
>hurr durr all capeshit is bad
I call them a faggot, tell them to GTFO the capeshit thread, and move on with the conversation.

What you're complaining about is that it's NOT a hivemind, that the rules don't automatically make your opinion the right one and everyone else banned.

>Would Hollywood dare to adapt any of his works these days?
I think the movie rights to micro (a kino bodyhorror version of honey I shrunk the kids) and dragons teeth (frontier survival kino) go sold a few years ago. I doubt we'll ever see them though.
>the kid who gets raped by a wasp and goes slowly insane while the larvae eat his arm from the insane out until he finally kills himself
>the nanobots slicing your arteries from the inside out just like all the conspiracy chads think covid does now we know why that one's never getting made

these are just lazy copes, holy shit
actual free speech = necessarily not a hive mind
You can defend any position of your choice and you will get sincere replies, albeit amid the usual sea of piss

Why do libertarians always seem to think justice will prevail if people are given total freedom? They can't really be that naive, can they?

Most people don't have very sound logical/moral judgement. The more hateful, irrational bullshit you allow, the more it spreads.

What part do you disagree with?
>cliche
Did you know Crichton said that in the 90s? Before social media existed?

It's similar but not exactly. Moot described it best - there are no technical barriers to posting here or punishment for doing anything bad so the community forms its own natural "barriers" where you have to know or say something to show that you are knowledgeable longtime poster.
This has gone from memes and a general posting style to a defacto culture and set of beliefs, not "popular" beliefs but beliefs outside of cultural norms.
Whether it's outside because this place attracts those kinds of people or outside because this place forms these kinds of opinions I don't know.

>Hollywood dare to adapt any of his works these days?
They have multiple times

Mass communication and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Lolberts are as dogmatically utopian as communists.
Freedom of expression does allow the actual truth to be discovered without being censored at least though.

I used to have a venn diagram showing where libertarian views on free speech fit in:
>Any online forum regulated by the government naturally becomes libertarian
>Any online forum regulated by private corporations becomes communist
>Any online forum regulated according to the principles of free speech becomes fascist.

Attached: libertarian picachu sells ausralia.jpg (500x500, 48.5K)

holy cope. you need to go back and ywnbaw

Agreed
Fuck Martin Luther and his printing press.

Attached: 1627857490009.jpg (600x681, 73.77K)

>Height: 6′ 9″

It wouldn't be as bad if there wasn't ACTIVE suppression of dissenting opinions by the tech companies that run these networks as well as the government pressuring them.

It's a combination of that and the natural tendency towards conformity that humans display that spells disaster.

If you don't have those beliefs what happens to you?
There's no social approval to be won, no social sanction to be avoided, I know literally none of you cunts personally and can't recognize the Anons I do know by their posts.
You could be my best mate, my worst enemy, my ex girlfriend, my boss or the dude who takes my order at KFC, and you will still be those things no matter what you post here.

he was a doctor and a scientist before he became an author, he was a legit genius

Freedom of speech isn't "total freedom" and every libertarian will tell you that there are some bad things that need to be accepted in the favor of Freedom.

You get ridiculed, and either you have to learn to shut up about your beliefs, take a beating, or get pulled into flame wars.

>Freedom of expression does allow the actual truth to be discovered without being censored at least though
I'm pretty strong on freedom of expression, but a total freeforall is unwise. The worst in people tends to come out when they're given free reign.

Yea Forums is a good example. 8chän is an even better example.

Interesting

If I understand the diagram correctly, I experienced this on 8chän. The site started as basically the full-on anarchist version of Yea Forums, but the worst people ended up ruining it for everyone in the end.

So what?

How do you say this guys surname?

Are you asking what social clout you gain by espousing views?

The fact that libertarian is an identity and not a belief system, ie. that it's defined as what libertarians believe, not what is logically consistent, is the only thing that keeps it alive since if it were judged wholly on it's own merits it would be instantly destroyed.

It's just Marxism for edgy millennials with a new coat of paint. They tell you to study economics but they don't tell you that you can't get a job as a libertarian economist because economists work for governments.

I didn't say you have to care. I said that's how beliefs form here. Whether you're subject to the same social pressure that makes people gravitate to those beliefs is another matter.

>I'm pretty strong on freedom of expression, but a total freeforall is unwise. The worst in people tends to come out when they're given free reign.
What’s your solution? Not saying there isn’t one but I’m curious

And it's all for nothing because the cunt you're talking to can just reply to you with a wojak.

>You get ridiculed
Oh now. Not ridiculed! Anything but ridiculed.

> either you have to learn to shut up about your beliefs, take a beating, or get pulled into flame wars.
Or you could just not do those things, and maybe reassess what you said based on what was said to you.

Attached: oh no anyway.png (1536x1571, 1.36M)

Left wing ideology needs censorship to survive.

Attached: 1644490807356.png (815x547, 315.2K)

…or they can reply to you honestly and you can have a truthful debate that’s impossible to have in almost any other place

>Are you asking what social clout you gain by espousing views?
On Yea Forums specifically.

Based

The closest thing you could get to attempt being a "popular kid" here is being a namefag and it does nothing but get you shit on relentlessly.

Moreso than almost any other online platform, Yea Forums is purely about how entertaining and eloquent you are.

Which happens once in a blue moon.

You're telling me.

I always heard it pronounced like "cry-ton".

That's a tough one

Unpopular opinion, coming up: for the most part, I think Twitter has done a good job. There have been certain things I disagree with, like banning people for spreading the Wuhan lab leak theory and posting stories about Hunter Biden's laptop, but I agree with their terms and conditions in theory.

Yeah everyone called him a fucking climate change denier because of that book for some reason, even though his actual stance wasn't that global warming wasn't real, it's that global warming doesn't matter because change is good.

Ian Malcolm says this outright in jurassic park when he says he only wears black because radiation is good for you.

I'm more or less of the same opinion, but my viewpoint is that global warming is good because when the yellowstone caldera erupts and makes the planet tilt towards a new ice age, we'll actually be pretty glad that we spent time heating up the atmosphere. Everything works out in the end.

Attached: file.png (661x517, 82.79K)

>a "popular kid" here is being a namefag and it does nothing but get you shit on relentlessly.
This. Namefags get shat on then filtered. I don't care what they have to say.

Imagine coming to an anonymous imageboard and filling in the "name" field like a fucking wanker.

wow, this ridiculous and easily disprovable assertion really brought the house down user, great job!

>Would Hollywood dare to adapt any of his works these days?
oh Hollywood would love to adapt his works, the problem is they'd fuck them up to the point that any point he was trying to make was lost, pic very fucking related as it was the last straw that caused him to stop letting them use his stuff

Attached: timeline.jpg (301x500, 41.15K)

Nonsense.
I have decent discussions constantly.
You probably just spouted some trite shit that has already been discussed to death and couldn't find anyone willing to take you seriously because whatever you were saying wasn't worth taking seriously.

You understand that the average IQ on this website is like 130+ right? We're only pretending to be retarded. If you can't bring the heat when it's appropriate to do so then shut up and listen. It's not about you.

Imagine giving a shit about social clout when you can instead just seek the truth in an anonymous environment
that’s the side effect of true freedom of expression. This board is like digging through a field of shit to find diamonds.

Hopefully Elon will improve it greatly

>This board is like digging through a field of shit to find diamonds.
It's not even. It's just filling out the board with garbage while waiting for something worth talking about.

The reason Yea Forums is completely full of shitposts and wank is because there aren't any good western comics or animation to discuss. The only conversation worth having is why anime is better and the faggot mod bans you for that, so the board is nearly completely dead.

Yea Forums gets better as TV gets better.

Anime exists as a coping mechanism for a militaristic and honor driven culture being nuked into subservience, hence why it is infantile, fixated on novelty, and generally devoid of masculinity in its protagonists.
>nerdy awkward guy at school
>cute gril (who also happens to turn into a dragon faerie when she eats chocolate, or some other such garbage) likes me for no discernible reason
It’s a transparent beta cope fantasy.

Libertarianism is just "freedom is good hmmkay", it's not tied to any ideology OR identity.

Anime as a subject is to big for bullshit reductionism like that, even if you weren't flat out wrong.

And yet
every libertarian will tell you
Is the most common defence of it.
It's not what libertarianism is, it's libertarians will tell you it is.
And then they have their retarded little purity contests to ensure that only the most extreme retards get to call themselves "true libertarians" while patting themselves on the back for losing elections since it proves how much more pure they are than the average voter.

An ideology of failure.