>renders your shitty subscription streaming platform obsolete

Attached: file.png (1600x900, 198.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jellyfin.org/
emby.media/
stremio.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

explain

It's basically Netflix except self-hosted and will stream your own movie files.

>he fell for the Plex meme

heh paying to pirate

whats the difference with just torrenting and streaming it to my device?

Plex is run by fucking idiots. They wasted time and effort trying to jump on the streaming channels meme, literally no one watches the shitty channels, and so they're killing that feature. They also added "podcasts" but it was a curated list not an actual useful podcatcher client so that was fucked and is going away. I'm surprised they haven't tried getting into content by releasing a web series about how gay they are. Meanwhile, they don't have features that iTunes had 20 fucking years ago. You still can't make useful mixed-media libraries for "courses" like iTunes U and it does a shit job with audiobooks.

Convenience. Plex pulls metadata for your shit and organizes everything neatly. Plus you have a phone app as well where you can download the files, as well as a smart tv app.

eh, I don't have time to download 100s of torrents or rip BlueRays to a gigantic HDD and then hook everything up to the TV.
I will use legal streaming but if a service doesn't have it then I will just use Kodi on my Firestick.

You sound like you know what you're doing. What's the name of one of your aps I could find on my TV for a better experience?

an interface similar to Netlifx that can be browsed easily with a remote control

Attached: file.png (1688x927, 1.25M)

>then hook everything up to the TV.
That's not what you need to do. Not physically, anyway. You just manage your storage device in your settings. Then your PC becomes the server for streaming. All you need to do is download the plex app to your other devices (tv, phone, tablet) and sign into your account. Then you're good to go.

plex is great but it seems very legally grey area, at some point i expect the MPAA to fuck them over. even if you can argue they provide no pirated media, plenty of companies have been fucked over by making easy to access or consume pirated media even if the software itself is 100% legal. you're going on what some boomer judge rules, not what the law says

It's usually smooth but when it's buggy it's painfully buggy. I tried to stream raw mp4s of severance but playback would freeze every few minutes.

*Oh, and I almost forgot to mention don't have any subtitles in any of your movies or Plex will choke and try to transcode all your files because the concept of "foreign language subs" offends them or some shit.

I miss him bros...

Attached: kangz.jpg (593x442, 16.56K)

>*Oh, and I almost forgot to mention don't have any subtitles in any of your movies or Plex will choke and try to transcode all your files because the concept of "foreign language subs" offends them or some shit.
Only if your client does not support the subtitle format. If it doesn't, then Plex has to burn them in during playback, otherwise it just forwards the subtitle file to the player.

Your router can't handle the bit rate
Lower bit rate on playback or get a new router

>enables burned-in subtitles in your path

Plex is great. I can torrent a movie and then watch it on the TV with no other steps other than putting it in the right folder

if your router was made in the last ten years, it can handle the bitrate because I seriously doubt you're watching 1Gb/s rips. the issue is almost always wifi, which is garbage and should never be used for anything that cares about throughput. run a damn cat5 and be done with it

They're small files, 1gb per episode.

I forget the name of it. It's the app that goes back in time and keeps the CIA from shooting Steve Jobs with a cancer pen. That way Apple doesn't get run by a literal gay man who gets them into "content" which then gets forced onto everyone's devices in the name of "content discovery" and ruins the experience. Pic related was the peak of home theater civilization. The iPhone, touch interfaces, and "content" literally ruined it.

Attached: 1622728091963.jpg (2000x1321, 99.39K)

>Plex
>"Self hosted"
>Still requires a connection to a central server of a commercialized entity
Yeah, na, fuck off

The issue is almost always related to downloading a codec that isn't supported on your playback device, causing your server to transcode, which can easily cause buffering if you're streaming from a laptop or low-powered device. Either that or subtitle issues, see

Imagine having to create an account to host something on your own hardware. Just use Jellyfin or Emby.

The server is on your PC, retard

Now do it with 4K movies and enjoy not watching any movies.

It really doesn't though, you can connect to your server via its LAN IP.

Step aside. This does everything Plex or Emby does but without the bloat.

Attached: 1649405685557.png (1024x500, 53.98K)

Tell me you don't know how Plex works without telling me you don't how Plex works.

I'm keeping an eye out for this but it ain't quite ready yet.
>gets pissy about certain codecs more often than Plex in my experience
>WebOS app isn't publlished yet and the Github issue tracking this hasn't moved an inch for months
>No good music app for iOS like Prism for Plex

>babies first media server
plex is trash for a lot of different reasons i dont care to go into right now.
heres some alternatives all better than plex.
jellyfin.org/
emby.media/
stremio.com/

Attached: cthulhu karen.jpg (760x1200, 333.67K)

The application it self is still centralized you fucking retard. Authentication happens on Plex's (the company) servers. Its like saying you're connecting over a lan with Teamviewer when it refuses to operate without an outward connection to it's servers even if you're only connecting over a LAN.
Like stated, use Jellyfin or Emby if you want to actually own your setup.

See Plex is definitely not perfect, but the alternatives have some dealbreakers for me.

Tell me you don't know how Plex sends analytics back to central Plex servers without telling me you don't know Plex sends analytics back to central Plex servers

k

>WebOS
Holy shit, do people actually use this? I haven't heard of someone with WebOS in a good 7-8 years.

whats the thing now that replaces kodi+addons?
i barely hear anyone talk about those anymore.

LG smart TVs use WebOS. It's aight.

emby mogs on plex, just use emby

My Plex server never touches the internet. Once again:

If you're gonna use Emby, just use Jellyfin instead. It's literally a fork of Emby but free (as in freedom and free beer) and open source.

Jellyfin has HW transcoding for free. With plex you have to pay for it. For this reason alone jellyfin is better.

Huh, didn't know it was still seeing some life.
I had an old BB tablet with WebOS on it way back, and it was actually pretty great, but it was a shame to see it die out in favor of Android.

I don't care because I download files using codecs that don't require transcoding for any of my devices.

Not everyone wants to have their entire library consist of YIFY rips, user.

Why would you assume that? The codec doesn't dictate quality at all. You could have a 1.5GB shitty 1080p rip, or an 80GB high bitrate encode both using the same video/audio codecs.

Attached: Capture d’écran 2022-04-26 à 21.47.55.png (1956x1186, 247.59K)

And then it fucked the hdr during the process, and i just want to hang myself

My server only has 18TB of storage bitch, you think I have room for 4K?

I have only 1tera and l watch everything in 4k in 50g Blu Ray rip files. I just don't need to keep a collection of movies

>doesn't support Dolby Vision

yeah probably sub issue. The mp4 had a weird mov_text stream. Also I forgot to say transcoder failed too. Long story short I fixed the files with ffmpeg.

plex is free mongoloid

Why use this when an HDMI exists

Wireless
Cover art and organizing
Auto subtitles

>hooking your pc up to your TV with an HDMI cable
Pussy repellent.

whats the point of this if i still need to pay for subscription.
all i want is to watch Lucas lagoon insane pools kino but it still charges me so whats the use

Lol

>the app that goes back in time
Why don't you use that ap, and instead of spending the time whining on internet forums about how bad things are, you do something helpful?
A man of your superior intellect surely could.

>whats the point of this if i still need to pay for subscription.
You don't. Plex has a subscription but it's for some features that 90% of people won't give a shit about. Otherwise you can go straight to Jellyfin which doesn't have any paid feature at all.

I hate how anime just wont show up right with plex.
However it works well for movies and tv shows so that's just fine.

What do you mean? I don't watch much anime but what little I download shows up fine. If you have issues with metadata not getting pulled properly you can press the menu button on the show and select "Fix match".

Long animes are usually sorted as seasons in the metadata and if it's an anime or series that has a long franchise behind it, it's always sorted under one series rather than individually according to the metadata. It's a pain in the ass to fix too despite knowing how to do it.