/film/

Thread for the discussion of arthouse or whatever

>/film/ literature
mega.nz/folder/OVIDlQTJ#7L4e8TGqNnbJEFqQzaf8lw
>/film/ charts
mega.nz/folder/DtpiBSjT#PFN4YVpwqQRDL7r2_ZKXUw
>/film/ directors directory
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qgdYsMPAaFWrAa_7EHLpXqpOHLaDLmytM9wJ5nhGtqs/edit?usp=sharing
>but user, how do I make webms with MPV?
github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm

Previous: who cares?

Attached: 1684950375938.jpg (1275x689, 137.66K)

Any good films showing at Cannes this year?

>Previous: who cares?
it's unironically over, time to go outside or something

I was just being lazy and didn't feel like digging through the archives to find the actual previous thread

sad

>keeping updated about cannesshit directors
you are no different than marvel fans

I really regret starting the Teletubbies meme now. It was one of my various rants and some dude just ran with it.

We need a discord

meh, it's slightly humorous

Anybody seen this kino? surprised they went that dark with the ending

Attached: MV5BNTYxODYxNTYtODNiMC00OTJhLWE4MzMtNTM1MmNiYTQwMmQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_.jpg (550x800, 526.8K)

I haven't seen that one. I've enjoyed pretty much all of Anthony Mann's western movies that I have seen, a strong 8/10 director.

Attached: Winchester '73.jpg (1935x2937, 2.04M)

nice, 1950's westerns are so comfy

1950s Westerns starring Gregory Peck, doesn't get much comfier IMO.

Attached: Big_country833.jpg (564x865, 166.6K)

yep, fucking love The Big Country, that and Shane are my two favourites from the 50's

holy shit
do non-finnish people even have access to translations of this or is this known only in finland?

Attached: 640px-Kahdeksan_surmanluotia_elokuvan_juliste.jpg (640x960, 161.21K)

looks cool, what's the best Finnish film? I've only seen The White Reindeer and some other random one from the 30s

>best finnish film
honestly i'm only now dipping my toes in finnish film myself pre-80s, but so far i've liked Aki Kaurismäki, and he's a safe bet.
his style is comparable to French new wave and Ozu

picrel is the finnish film i'd rec anyone

Attached: MV5BYWFmN2YwZTMtZTQ3Yi00ZDEzLTg4NWUtYTkzODRkNWYzZjVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI2NDg0NQ@@._V1_.jpg (940x1329, 492.95K)

It looks like some English translations are out there

Attached: Eight Deadly Shots.jpg (967x1720, 341.69K)

One of his worst

The Northman is out. Is it capeshit?

Haven't seen it yet, but it's bound to at least be McDonald's arthouse tier, which is a step above capeshit imo

it was a step over mcdonalds arthouse, i think the straightforward Conan/Shakespeare inspiration was good for eggers, it suits him more than doing faux arthouse phantasmagoria like the lighthouse

How do you reconcile having solitary hobbies/interests with wanting communication and to live a life? I don't want to be a Tsai Ming Liang character

I liked it. Has a lot of flaws, but ultimately I don't think I've seen something like it before. Especially the first half, it's so raw, so primal.

It's ok. Basically Hamlet plus the Virgin Spring with norse mythology and a bit of surrealism, not mind blowing but didn't mind spending money to see it in theatres

Does /film/ like Spoorloos? I finally watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I really liked how the film spent so much time with the killer and turned him into a sort of main character. I also really liked the ending. Not many films have the balls to end that way

Attached: spoorloos.jpg (1339x810, 174.21K)

Goodness gracious. I am not one for breezy films with poets and prostitutes and historical allegories, but this thing has been living in my mind rent free for a long time now. Are the rest of Monteiro's films this touching?
I wholly recommend this to anyone who lurks this thread. There's an upload of it on youtube with english subtitles for the sake of convenience, and it's barely 90 minutes long. Give it a shot.

Attached: the last dive.jpg (400x559, 30K)

That Rantubbies Terayama cut is peak /film/ memery

I really want to get to Monteiro, but I have so many films I need to watch first. I'll add this one to the ever-growing backlog though

Attached: France-Tour 2.webm (425x310, 2.65M)

>How do you reconcile having solitary hobbies/interests with wanting communication and to live a life?
realize that no-one (including you) deserves communication/desired social life. it is something that is always sought after and built for yourself over time
realize that your life so far that you've lived has been as much of a life as the life of someone more social
realize that the quote "life is short" is the biggest lie ever, just the +12h we are awake within a 24h span fits immense amount of slow minutes daily that nothing happens.
get rid of the idea that you're missing out on something. everything you do you do by choice, everything you avoid, you avoid because of instinct, reason and values

realize the separation of the concepts "now" and "forever" e.g. "i'm missing out on communication now" and "i'm missing out on communication forever" are wildly different things

Attached: Knight_of_Cups_2.jpg (1024x492, 38.52K)

WHERE IS LYNCH

Attached: The Living Magoroku (1080p).mkv_snapshot_01.06.18.516.jpg (1434x1038, 150.56K)

Mind sharing the origin of it, what caused you to say that?
I’ve found the images funny occasionally

This is the previous thread:

I know many of these things but I can't avoid feeling that what I'm doing now is going to be perpetuated in the after. I've spent so much time alone filling up with art, with movies, music, books. All these things that brought me incredible satisfaction at one time now feel so empty. I crave love and friendship. I want to see small things growing, but I can't help feeling like the world is closing in on me, like I'm fading into obscurity.

Retard.

That's what you are for posting off-topic.

>I've spent so much time alone filling up with art, with movies, music, books
I'm jealous

>How do you reconcile having solitary hobbies/interests with wanting communication and to live a life? I don't want to be a Tsai Ming Liang character
I watch movies with my gf (:

Just wanted to comment on the edit that a /film/ member created for 'Pierre, ou Les ambiguites' now that I've finally watched it-

First, the edit itself is a fantastic piece of work, I can tell the user put in a ton of time and energy to get it to the point its at. There's a fantastic moment at the beginning of episode 2 where the characters are walking out of the tunnel into the light and it cuts from the SD footage to the HD footage, creating a nice visual analogy that wouldn't exist outside of this edit. Thank you for all of your hard work and sharing it here.

Second, the series itself- I guess the biggest thanks would be that I enjoyed this more than the theatrical cut, although I haven't seen that for years now. It still feels like a big departure for him from the rest of his films and his usual style. I wonder if he will ever return to more serious/dark filmmaking like this. For some reason I'm picking up on visual influences like Lynch/Grandrieux in certain scenes. The motorcycle scene with Deneuve is undoubtedly my favorite moment and just a striking sequence. Breaking the narrative into episodes and getting more moments with the characters does help the film, this is indeed the superior cut.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks if you're still here in these threads. I hope more anons check this out, it's worth it, you can find the mega in the archives or his Soulseek account as well.

Attached: 1646664932483.png (1239x1754, 2.27M)

realize that's how life is now
it's what zoomers call "taking the L"
if your daily life and comfort zone is what keeps you in this lonely and frustrated period of life, then you're gonna have to live through it. that's just how your life is for now
if you're not literally Sisyphus, then more exciting days are ahead. The fact you're acknowledging that something's not right right now just means you're not totally in the dark, significant life changes build gradually, nothing changes with the push of a button. your realization is basically a step forward

look into altering some of your daily routine habits maybe to change your daily life somewhat
like limit your screen time with amount of hours, wake up earlier, fix your sleep hygiene, fix your diet, look into a team sport/excercise to explore, go on a lot of walks so you somewhat feel good in your skin in public around strangers, explore different walking routes, explore your city/country...

what is some essential graphic design core cinema?

as interesting as this all sounds, i have to ask what the reasoning behind making this cut is. does it come from a place of unsatisfaction with the original release or is it just an experiment? never heard of anything like this done to an auteur film.

I think it's very hard nowadays especially because of the media overload we have, it makes you feel like you have to watch all the thousands of "classics" of every kind made since the beginning of cinema, and balancing that with having some semblance of normal life. Luckily (not really but w/e) for me I'm schizoid so I plain avoid interacting with people as much as I can get away with and function, posting here and on discord a few times a week is more than enough interaction to satisfy me

Carax originally released Pola X in France as a 3 episode series broadcast on French television. He edited it down to be a feature film shown in theaters elsewhere with scenes cut out and obviously not episodic.
The TV version (which is still uncut and nothing is censored) hasn't been publicly released and wasn't able to be viewed, until a lowquality VHS/Youtube copy was found.
user edited together all the footage available from the HD theatrical cut into the SD TV footage so we can all now watch the 3 episode TV cut in the highest quality available for now, until the TV cut is fully released in HD (if that ever happens). He also worked with another user to get a custom translation/subtitle file for the series.
Good shit, the best thing /film/ has ever been involved with.

Visconti, Antonioni, Yoshida

You WILL watch Werckmeister Harmonies.

Attached: ss462539.jpg (736x416, 24.89K)

I WILL eventually

Attached: Terayama's Days.jpg (1920x1080, 287.22K)

>his style is comparable to Ozu
Hardly.

What do we think of Ryan Trecartin here?

He isn't wrong, Aki loves Ozu

We don’t. Stop posting here RyRy.

i am unironically the next big filmmaker

I know he loves Ozu, but they're not stylistically all that similar beyond a few surface-level qualities.

I am ironically the next big filmmaker

Let's see one of your great films then

If the "next big filmmaker" is someone who can't use 'unironically' correctly, the downfall of the medium will surely continue.

he's just like me

You are correct but it's also true that there's some Ozu influence on his films, at least his earlier ones

I unironically agree