Is there really a set of people who can't think for themselves when it comes to films...

Is there really a set of people who can't think for themselves when it comes to films? People completely lacking the ability to critique films without trying to sound smart? I was talking to relatives about a film and my female cousing said "the writing in that was sooo bad" but when I asked her how it was bad, she admitted that was just a criticism that she saw somebody else write about the film online.

Attached: npc.webm (576x1024, 2.91M)

Most people just want to zone out and be entertained so they can forget about their shitty lives, no one cares about subliminals and hidden meanings etc, they just want a believable story.

I wait until Yea Forums arrives at a verdict on whether a movie is cringe or not before I watch it. I don't want to consume NPC media.

>Is there really a set of people who can't think for themselves when it comes to films?
yeah, they're the people who leave positive reviews on solaris

No shit

sometimes I watch a movie and while I can form my own thoughts on it I generally have a hard time discerning whether something was genuinely good or if I just had a good time watching it. There's certain films I watch where it's a gut feeling but sometimes I feel bad for writing a film off because it doesn't appeal to my tastes regardless of how well it's executed.
I feel like a dunce when it comes to film shit so I often turn to reviews to see what other people think of it to get my brain jogging about things beyond the surface level. I feel like it's hard for me to have ideas about anything without some kind of affirmation, however. So this could all just be a psychological thing.
I've also started listening to director's commentaries just to see what they think to understand some of the symbolism straight for the horse's mouth.
I will say that one of my favorite films is that Salesman doc which a lot of people don't seem to like but I love it. It's so much more than the greater than it's parts and I haven't seen nor read anything that changes my opinion or thoughts about. Maybe I'm stubborn.

Attached: 20220421_173403.jpg (941x1333, 192.09K)

this attitude is worse than almost any other I could think of

If you're asking if most people lack any critical thinking skills the answer is yes. Most people can only process information, but they can't analyse or cross reference that information with other information or experiences they have had.
Think of the average person and then consider that many many people are much stupider than average

hey man it's honestly crazy you can't form opinions independently but at least you are trying to form a basis of internal thought by watching commentaries and stuff - that's much more self-aware than about 99% of people and it's commendable

I am dumb as fuck and the fact that there are millions upon millions of people who are dumber than me yet still functional and not actually disabled terrifies me.

being a coping midwit analysing lego batman is no better

so glad i didn't record the cringy shit i did in school

I haven't seen lego batman lol, chill

>Is there really a set of people who can't think for themselves when it comes to films? People completely lacking the ability to critique films without trying to sound smart?
This goes for all things in life. Have you tried talking about events or politics with people? Zero understanding of what transpired, past, present, implications or interactions, different possibilities. They just zero in on an idea that's compatible with their ingroup and hyperfocus on it with zero understand. Finding people that actually talk about anything with any nuance is incredibly rare.

Attached: 1650815689925.jpg (900x900, 194.09K)

Youre not as dumb as you think you are. You're just not an expert at what you like.
Don't feel bad.

I'm in the same boat. A lot of things in life I honestly find confusing, and I'm aware that I'm not that smart, or even that functional - and the fact that billions of people exist who literally have no internal monologue or thoughts really is a scary idea

I can form opinions but it's usually not about stuff like writing or symbolism beyond obvious shit. Like it usually takes a re-watch or something to have my thoughts fully form about a movie fully. Like I've seen Taxi Driver 3 or 4 times and I still don't think I get it fully. I always understood it as a film about not being a passive whiner. To stick to your guns and to solve the problems you see directly, instead of deferring them to a politician. He sees trying to assassinate the president as not the solution to his problems.
I get the movie but I don't think I get anything beyond the surface level. You know, what's actually being presented to me. I always feel like I'm missing on some deeper meaning in films and it could just come from my lack of art knowledge in general.
I get frustrated sometimes because of this, but I don't ever do anything to correct it really, so it's hard to actually be mad at myself.

Attached: 20220418_082454.jpg (1270x944, 102.48K)

Most people probably don't have what could be considered an independent opinion on film and we all have NPC behavior for some aspects of our lives, you're lying to yourself of you think otherwise. Internalizing how we view the world based on our current peer group is a natural unconscious process and it takes a strong effort of will to break from it, self-reflect, and consciously build your own artistic values. Most people use film as a petty distraction and don't have the inclination to form well thought out opinions not dictated by the general flow of public discourse. We're limited in what we can do with our conscious energies and film criticism generally falls lower on the priority scale.

Me too. But then everything ends up being declared cringe and I haven't seen a new movie since Joker. The NorthMan seems to be polling well though.

I think you have a better brain for analysis than you think. To understand movies, books, etc more deeply it's very important to look at context. When was the film made? What, politically & socially, was happening at that time? What could the film be reacting against or responding to? You watch Directors commentries, which is great - because the mind of the artist who made the is almost as important as the art itself in terms of analysis.

Once you start to ask these questions, analysis becomes much more clear.

For example: It's easy to see Evangelion as an anime series about mechs fighting aliens and the mental turmoil that comes from giving your body and mind up to a semi-sentient machine. However, once you know that the director / creator was someone that struggled with depression and a sense of separation, distance, from other people - you can start to find a deeper meaning to what he was trying to say with his silly cartoon show. The ending being an almost fantasy for him, being able to truly, finally, connect with other people via living their experiences, while being judged for his own experiences. Would your family or girlfriend still love you if they knew ever single thing you had ever said, done, or thought?

Or you could look at Scorcese's Silence. On the surface it is a historical film about Jesuit priests trying and failing to convert Japan to Christianity. But on a deeper level what is Scorcese trying to say about his religion? He's a New York art guy who grew up around crime, what the hell does he know about the Jesuit faith? Is the Silence you hear when you pray to God in fact the absence of god? When the main character finally hears the words of Jesus Christ in his lowest moment is he truly hearing the voice of God or his own voice? Does that matter if the voice he heard encouraged him to protect the lives of innocent people? Interesting shit. Anyway gay essay over

Attached: 1644398268127.jpg (1200x675, 100.7K)

I've had to watch taxi driver 12+ times to catch everything and make connecting thoughts. You just miss a lot or are in a different mindset.

I like to watch films in a serious mood and then watch it as a joke. See what's under the hood that way.

NPC has become such a meaningless buzzword. I saw twitch IRL steamers and their chatbox using it constantly as they annoyed everyday people going about their business. He'd walk up to a guy and try get a reaction, then the chat would all laugh and say WOAH THAT NPC DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO LMAO

>it's a 110 IQs talking down on 100 IQs thread

yeah it started as a Yea Forums way of making fun of the CURRENT YEAR neolib opinion John Oliver type people but has descended into retarded american incels making a silly face at someone and acting superior when that person doesn't want to interact with them

that bosmer needs to calm down

Some people have admitted to me that they have no inner monologue. That essentially means that any opinion they have was by someone else. I think that's why you see so many people just follow each other. The idea og it baffles me, but these people insist that they don't have an inner voice.

this also explains TikTok as a whole

I'll try that. A lot of times I only feel like seeing certain movies in a certain mood.

I mostly just lack confidence in my ideas. I'm more worried about being correct than I am about thinking freely. I honestly just don't have enough practice because I feel in most places where I express my ideas I get shot down and "corrected."
I watched A Serious Man with my brother the other day, and I found the movie to be incredibly banal. Just "life goes on" nihilism crap. Maybe it was just my mood but I was real tired of every one saying that nothing matters so just be a dismissive prick about everything and not care. I don't think that mindset is healthy or productive and it frustrated me to see my brother go along with it. He just kept be laboring his points and eventually I just gave up talking to him about this because he has turned into some faux objectivist nimrod in the last few years. I love him to death but his smug attitude about life drives me nuts.
I just feel like anytime I discuss any idea I have that's against some norm I get immediately rejected and pounced upon.

>relying on Yea Forums of all places to have a genuine opinion on anything
npc-tier shit
this place is teeming with contrarians who are too up in their own ass to even start a productive discussion with
watch the movie and make opinions on your own, you fucking drone

they probably confuse thoughts for talking to yourself. I find it hard to believe anyones head is literally empty even if its just the most basic commands such as "hungry therefore go to fridge" or "im bored let me check my twitter"

no for real a lot of people have no discernible inner thoughts - they rely on impulses instead. It's wild

yeah but an impulse still sends some command r-right? when you ask them a question they still need to think to answer

Midwit thread

>Is there really a set of people who can't think for themselves when it comes to films?

most anons on Yea Forums.

>inner monologue NPC thinks others are the NPCs
Inner monologue means you only have thoughts that can be said to other people, the ultimate NPC.

I think they just answer, I'm honestly not sure - I've spoken to a few friends who thought the inner monologue thing was like a movie thing not a real thing, and when I asked them how they answer questions without thinking they kind've got confused

well honestly inner monologue is one step away from talking to yourself out loud so its only a matter of time before its branded a disorder
t. sometimes whisper to myself without realizing

What were they thinking was happening?

Attached: Screenshot_20220426-063658_Video Player.jpg (563x630, 52.07K)

>wow, what a huge faggot

>STIMULUS
>DISREGARD
>RESUME STANDARD OPERATING PROTOCOLS

Attached: 1650942579945.png (520x480, 214.52K)

>fuck off retard

I presume that same guy looks down to the floor when passing by big black guys, and then posts about "fucking niggers" later

nice projection

>I was talking to relatives about a film and my female cousing said "the writing in that was sooo bad" but when I asked her how it was bad, she admitted that was just a criticism that she saw somebody else write about the film online.
lol

Could you like, stop like, using the word like?
Yeah bro Evangelion is reaaaaally deep bro! Glad you picked up on that!

Lmao brainlet central around here

I talk to myself constantly the shadow people tell me it's healthy

>NPC
>thinking

Attached: nx3dtngmlvp61.jpg (640x627, 64.48K)

it's not that deep, just using it as an example of how knowing a bit more about the context of a piece of art can be helpful in analyzing it. chill out

This is the weirdest cope I've read all week

kek i love this image so much

Attached: this nigga.gif (298x224, 3.51M)

This applies to almost everything. Some autistic but smart user makes a really good analysis of something that turns into a meme organically. Then the retarded anons spread it to r/Yea Forums and twitter and then that spreads to twitch and discord and then to facebook and youtube comments and before you know it the 'meme' is so diluted it doesn't mean anything anymore, its just internet slang for kids and normalfags

That's what language is, nothing but a way for you to interface with other humans. If all that's going on in your head is language based, then you don't have any complex thought in your head because language is limited by nature of being an interface between humans. Your entire consciousness is defined by what others put into your and what they want from you.

What I did fopr Taxi driver is try to understand not only the mindset of the write and director, but also the era it's in. Vietnam, the falling of America. You can build up a lot of knowledge on the subjects around it.

You can also watch the searchers, a massive influence on the film and see how they compare and contrast.

Also, I like watching really shit film, then you can see why something great it worth talking about. Never view getting shot down as a bad thing, arguments over a film is always great. You'll see if your ideas stand up, if you think they're important. Over time you'll connect dots or start to talk about aesthetics in a way that is personal to you. Only you hold this view of taxi driver, and nobody can argue it away from you.

There are elements of films that are very special to me and what seems like only me, and that is important. Maybe it's just one shot, or a sound.

>I just feel like anytime I discuss any idea I have that's against some norm I get immediately rejected and pounced upon.

You always be up against everyone with that view so embrace it, don't change and don't give in.

Attached: 1641823177882.gif (220x220, 775.46K)

Wow, your cousing lurks Yea Forums?

Agreeable

you're assuming that every thought is put into words. i have inner monologue but i can also act on instinct
cope more retard

This board is so contraion too get a strong consensus on any movie. I find it better to just watch a new film first than see what Yea Forums has to say about It after.

We both know who's coping here.

I'm actually so intelligent that I can understand where a movie is going in the first 5 minutes and I deconstruct all of it in my head. The only movies that get me off is really avant-garde arthouse stuff like Brakhage and Isou. This is what happens when you have parents that love you and suggest the western canon of literature to you at a young age.

Attached: 1645685678606.jpg (640x632, 42.79K)

yep

That's the origin of the whole Npc meme you retard. Yea Forumsposters making fun of people who need an inner dialogue and thus are incapable of reading fast. (Different poster btw). So yeah by Yea Forums standards (where you heard the term) you are the Npc , not the others.