WELL YOU HAVE SACRIFICED STORY CONTENT FOR MINDLESS VIOLENCE AND LACK OF STRUCTURE!

>WELL YOU HAVE SACRIFICED STORY CONTENT FOR MINDLESS VIOLENCE AND LACK OF STRUCTURE!
You can easily tell people at Cartoon Network were butthurt that an imported show like Dragon Ball Z was getting better ratings and coverage than their own cartoons.

youtube.com/watch?v=BNVCnO1D0HU

Attached: 1422079174152.jpg (480x360, 13.97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/co/search/text/BNVCnO1D0HU
youtu.be/jc3SePFYqtY
kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Even the most episodic anime have more of a storyline than any Western cartoon.

>desuarchive.org/co/search/text/BNVCnO1D0HU
>third time he's made this post
Yeah, they're definitely the salty ones

I really loved this scene.

This, it's a bizarre criticism since shounen like Dragonball Z are known for having extended plots lasting dozens or even hundreds of episodes. Sure there are filler episodes, but saying a show you have to watch maybe 100 episodes to understand what's currently going on doesn't have "story content" is the dumbest criticism you could make.

You have autism, do you this with every post on the site?

Maybe they mean the story isn’t cogent because new viewers can’t watch a random episode and know what’s going on. Bunk complaint though, a huge appeal of stories like this is to be new to them and be amazing by this exotic fantasy world that just goes on like it really exists

it would be high-functioning compared to the dweebs he's calling out

For whatever reason it was super common to see anime parodied as random flashy violence and tits where everyone talked like the speed racer dub.

Mate, majority of DBZ story "content" is Goku getting his ass kicked and then screeching "ARRGGH I MUST GET STRONGURRR". DBZ is the definition of a junk food show. You can enjoy the mindless fighting, but don't pretend it's somehow the pinnacle of storytelling. The original Dragon Ball had a more layered plot than Z for fuck's sake. Johnny Bravo gets a pass because it's not pretending to be anything more than it is, a dumb comedy.

Attached: 1418277764050.jpg (431x450, 68.11K)

Wrong, Dragonball is extremely complex.
youtu.be/jc3SePFYqtY

t. seething autist

lol, not watching that shit nigger

>don't pretend it's somehow the pinnacle of storytelling
No one here said it was, but to say that DBZ doesn't have a story with structure and plot is flat out wrong. I mean christ, when Vegeta turns into the Oozaru on Earth, Goku straight up goes catatonic for a minute because thats the moment he realizes that HE was the one who killed his grandfather when he was a kid. If the show didn't have plot or substance, Goku would have just said "Wow! You're stronger, I wanna punch you more!" and that would have been the end of it.

>YOU HAVE SACRIFICED STORY CONTENT
Why's he saying this when none of Cartoon Network's original shows at that time had ANY story content?

Not that it matters, since Goku, Bulma, and co. are still butt-buddies with Vegeta in the end and are willing to overlook him murdering thousands of innocent civilians. That's not structure because the actions of characters don't have real consequences.
Because DBZ's pretending it has story content, when its story is very shallow.

No it’s not it’s a very by the number show. Story arc followed by world martial arts tournament. There ya go that’s dragonball. Than it’s Z and they just keep upping the super strong bad guy.

Sounds like you got mad being caught red-handed.

Sounds like you're a seething Redditor.

I think it was just playful banter. That whole scene was more a parody of Pokemon than DBZ anyway.

Parents in the 90s just saw every episode of DBZ as constipated muscle guys charging beams for 20 minutes

>Goku getting his ass kicked and then screeching "ARRGGH I MUST GET STRONGURRR"
Never happened, Every saga he was MIA and had everyone waiting for him. Dead most of the Saiyan Saga, Incapacitated/traveling for most of the Frieza Saga, Incapped for most of the Cell Saga, and dead for most of the Buu Saga.

Rematches are rare in the Dragon Ball series.

i remember dbz boring me to tears even as a kid, it's mostly og dragon ball i have fond memories of

>That's not structure because the actions of characters don't have real consequences.
1. The death toll was more-or-less irrelevant thanks to the Dragon Balls, which themselves required a whole season to find thanks to the plot requiring the cast to go to Namek.
2. Vegeta only gets to start the path towards redemption after getting physically and spiritually broken by Freeza, culminating in a humiliating death. Even then, he barely tolerates the people he's with and only accepts his family and "friends" (really only Goku, since none of the other characters forgive or even like him) near the end of the Buu saga, which covered several decades and a LOT of character building in the interim.
3. Are you telling me that villain redemption stories are not stories?

I think it was just a funny joke.

>RetardtheProgrammer
Fucking kek. This is the same man that called Naruto a "thesis on how depression and struggles actually work."

Attached: Screenshot_20210519-210326_YouTube.jpg (1080x1609, 386.32K)

Its just a joke bro.
Anime was getting popular, that's a current and relevant event to joke about. That's how jokes work dumb dumb.

Lol, so you make re-posts because you didn't get enough attention and didn't expect one person out of thousands to notice? Look at this faggy little loser cry, haha!

>extended plots
>lasting a dozen episodes

thats the problem, it goes on too long. you don't need more that 12 episodes to tell the entire saiyan/frieza arc

I'd argue that there was more reverence for anime then than there is now. I remember KND parodying dragon ball Z at the time but it was definitely affectionate and you could tell the crew were watching DBZ, at least to a degree. Nowadays anime "references" just feel like plagiarism of action shots and shallow shout-outs that don't seem to actually care for what they're parodying beyond half-hearted admiration .
not watching video and you're wrong. Dragon Ball is very light reading/watching compared to a great deal of other media

Ok weeb.

The type of writing old cartoon writers like Tom Ruegger and this guy were talking about were mainly witty character pieces They didn't really see "serious" writing or serial writing as a mark of maturity. Which, to an extent, is true. A Woody allen comedy movie is tighter written with better character moments than most serious action movies. A lot of animation watchers conflate a serious story with one that's good.

>A lot of animation watchers conflate a serious story with one that's good.
It's the edgy 90s all over again.

I liked it

OP seething at being caught red-handed

>STORY CONTENT FOR MINDLESS VIOLENCE AND LACK OF STRUCTURE!
But they're right.
Dragon Ball Z did sacrifice story content because Toei and Jump was pulling Toriyama at both sides.
The dude wanted to end it, but they forced him to keep going.
Toriyama planned to kill off Vegeta, but fan demand kept him around
He wanted to make Gohan the protagonist and give him an actual arc, but they threw a hissy fit over that and Goku had to take back he spot.
When compared to Pre-Piccolo Jr. DBZ is just mindless violence and lack of structure.

Yes and no. DB's plot is very barebones and a good chunk of the episodes don't actually feature any story progression. But there are some genuinely compelling story beats.

Attached: 1610390992285.jpg (947x1061, 242.96K)

>The dude wanted to end it, but they forced him to keep going.
He wanted to end it like one time at the very beginning
>Toriyama planned to kill off Vegeta, but fan demand kept him around
Also false
>When compared to Pre-Piccolo Jr. DBZ is just mindless violence and lack of structure.
Do tell me about the great structure of the Red Ribbon Arc where the climax is Goku effortlessly beating up lowlife henchmen and a guy in a robot suit. Wow, so climatic. Such struggle. So intense. I do love it when the final boss is objectively weaker than the player and goes down easily.

The first part of that is that most anime out in America in the 90's were ultra-violent imported OVAs.

Attached: detail.jpg (240x240, 67.89K)

What are you gonna do
When the odds are stacked against you?

Attached: bakugan-battle-brawlers-new-vestroia-76d27b54b1.jpg (460x613, 153.98K)

Finally, somebody gets it.

>He wanted to end it like one time at the very beginning
still doesn't change the fact that he wanted to endit.

>Do tell me about the great structure of the Red Ribbon Arc where the climax is Goku effortlessly beating up lowlife henchmen and a guy in a robot suit.
The Red Ribbon saga existed to shift the tone from a gag manga to a more serious piece of work.

Typical

>make the same retarded post several times
>someone notices it and calls you out on it
>n-no you're the autisms!

Attached: 1633109510256.png (521x467, 737.31K)

>He wanted to end it like one time at the very beginning
I didn't realize the Cell Saga was the very beginning, you drooling retard.

Attached: 1494260916535.png (324x271, 5.22K)

>Wow, so climatic. Such struggle. So intense.
Gotta love the Ztard cope with the fact that he likes an inferior show.

Dragon Ball had actual stakes, and the fights weren't just teleport, boom-boom, lazerfest bullshit--those were used accents to the fight choreography instead of the main course, like Z does.

>another after the first cast of characters
BLEHHHH

>boys cartoons in 2003

*hypermasculine bros throwing hands and hacking each other up with swords*

>boys cartoons in 2022

*homosexuals eating vegan pudding and talking about how sensitive they are*

new season of Primal is coming out this year

OP caught red-handed like a little bitch

Attached: 322.jpg (185x251, 10.69K)

honest to god why are animefags like this?

what cartoon was this from ?

because they need to make themselves feel superior to *somebody*--anybody.

We need to dust off the classic for this one!

Attached: 3d2.jpg (317x699, 183.19K)

>Parents in the 90s just saw every episode of DBZ as constipated muscle guys charging beams for 20 minutes
i mean

If Dragon Ball Z Kai (or some similar edit that cuts the filler and ups the pacing) was aired instead of the filler garbage original, Western animation would have been completely annihilated and butthurt forever

no fucking kid woudnt watch it

Attached: 1650958432280.gif (500x281, 746.6K)

It's amazing how arrogant and self-assured you are in your ignorance. Go and educate yourself you absolute fuckwad: kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/
What stakes were there in the climax to Red Ribbon? Once Goku defeats Tao Pai Pai it's all a walk in the fucking park. That's not how you construct a story.

Super really did a number on the way people view Goku. It's kind of impressive really.

I like the Angry Beavers anime parody because its all so blatantly referencing the OVAs they rented from the video store (and Astroboy. There's always Astroboy)

Attached: tumblr_nmlt42Y1hL1qbs05go5_1280.png (841x622, 479.05K)

Fpbp

No