Main character's father is unknown or absent

>Main character's father is unknown or absent

Why is this such a common theme nowadays?

Attached: No father figure.jpg (1000x1000, 205.56K)

The Great Raven

Attached: 7FC89213-4A6C-4C02-A0E1-A1775E5252DF.jpg (278x365, 23.28K)

Written by black people perhaps?

anime trope

>nowadays
No that's been a trope for a loooonng time. Like thousands of years.

I hope you’re not implying missing parents originated with anime

If there's no man in the house things feel a lot more uncertain. Easy way to get a sense of danger, which is also why so many stories star women now. You want your protagonists weak and incapable (or at least perceived that way) to give then things to overcome so you just make them a girl with no dad and you're golden

Attached: 1651227034701.jpg (1024x905, 260.27K)

A wholesome, loving family with a middleclass lifestyle is a boring story element if you're not writing a preschool cartoon. While making a character live with strict/abusive parents, or live in a neglectful dump, etc is a plot element you might not wish to add, since then you have a story arc you have to wrap up. Also, your character can focus less on parent-child interactions and more on same-aged friendships. Orphans, latchkey kids and runaway children will always be popular setups for children's stories.

>nowadays

Attached: 1646758211795.jpg (900x900, 76.71K)

More like written FOR black people.

All the other shows in that pic>Owl House
The Dragon Prince had the dad die as part of a plot so it fits in the story. Trollhunters did this great. They barely talked about his dad in a way that clearly indicated some beef with him. Jim clearly was yearning for a father figure first with Strickler, and then found one in Blisky. And they finally addressed him in the final movie. Thats how you gotta do it.
Hilda doesn’t mention her dad at all because he doesn’t matter to the story now, sometimes you don’t need to have a dad in a story about a girl and your mom.
The Owl House was clearly going for what Hilda was doing, but then at the last moment they decided “no, Luz totally had a dad who died and this is totally a crucial part of her emotional story”. Like a lot of Owl House season 2, it was unplanned damage control in a desperate attempt to save a sinking ship. It’s the most cowardly pathetic way to do this plot line.

>130389743
Sounds like cope

>The Dragon Prince had the dad die as part of a plot so it fits in the story.

Ezran's dad died in the show. Callum's dad is still unknown.

>Standard Family is bad and toxic.

None of them are black.

>Like a lot of Owl House season 2, it was unplanned damage control in a desperate attempt to save a sinking ship
yep

why is Yea Forums so full of retards?

Isn't Luz half-black?

I only saw the first season, but Callum was adopted as well, so Ezran's dad was his as well. I dunno if they made his biological dad be part of the story, but I don't feel it's a necessity if he already had a father figure before.

Saves the need to write another character.

The fucking Mouse did this shit way before anime you retarded weeb

>Main character's father is unknown or absent
Probably because the creators hated their fathers.

you're the seething weeb here

Because parents, especially fathers, are overrated and worthless. Parents should not raise their offspring, given the high divorce rates, single parent upbringings early in their child's development, and the high rate of childhood abuse among the population. I am entirely convinced that the State would be a far superior provider than the biological parent can ever aspire to be. A law should be put in effect that prohibits parents from raising their children. The State is responsible for all its citizens. Those who simply brought them into society should have no special privileges over them.

>t. a pussy depressed person with an absent parent

Callums dad is that wizard bad guy.
Gonna spring that surprise incest on you with the witch girl

Because there's alot of women writers in animation now that have Daddy issues.

its not that common

How are those retarded?

Sorry, too busy finding new milfs in the world to raise the kid

Attached: Eris tea.jpg (363x486, 34.13K)

>nowadays

literally 3000 year old theme

I don't think he was, but it shows up in Anime a lot (especially the big one that these guys would've been watching). That's probably *why* these characters don't have fathers, but not the originator of the trope itself.

At least, with Dragon prince's cast being a lotta Avatar staff (that borrowed a lot from Ghibli) and the Owl House (obvious anime references up the wazoo). Not sure about the other two since I haven't actually seen them.

I don’t know how the story revealing Luz’s dad is dead helps save the “sinking ship”, can you elaborate that?

Funnily enough Jim jr in Trollhunters was the son of a single father in the book. Of course they had to change it to a single mom who was also a nurse for the show.

For both shows you mentioned we have confirmed dead fathers

Father figures are inherently politically incorrect.

Probably the same, then. In anime it's more like distant/constantly working salaryman fathers, but I still think that's probably where the inspiration came from.

Holy shit imagine a more cancerous attitude
>The emotional and psychological anchor that is the basis for humans is bad and should be replaced by the guiding hand of a government that can't even squash basic crime

Honestly universal health care and education combined living wages and affordable housing would probably go a long way to preventing child abuse and divorce while also preventing crime.

It's also cultural appropriation because none of the characters are black.

Cartoons have existed for 3000 years?

>nowadays
Having one or no parents has been a cheap overused thing in stories from the literal beginning

>I am entirely convinced that the State would be a far superior provider
Yeah all those state run schools and child care facilities prove that with all the dead kids, molested kids and criminals they churn out

We learned that Luz's father didn't divorce or abandon the family but died, so that's refreshing in a sea of shows with children raised by single mothers or mothers married to stepfathers.

Because the parents usually don't matter enough to be characters in the story or are used as twist reveals

Because we are living in fatherless times. Women led the Single Mother Movement by divorce raping fathers for at least three generations consistently. As such kids live by majority in Single Mother shit households. So if you show them media with the father being in the family? It's foreign to them and they can't relate. That and they will question why they don't have a father living with them. And if you do by some chance see a father in modern media like in Gumball or Adventure? They are mentally retarded or very unlikable pieces of shit because "Mothers are holy" you idiots gave women rights and this is the result.

Single Motherhood is how you raise the next generation of sluts and criminals. And for the record Single Motherhood is how child molesters easily target children of both sexes. Single Motherhood should be globally illegal and seen as Child Abuse. Fuck humans who worship pussy and enabled this hell.

Fatherless-ness is very common in ducks according to cartoons.

Attached: 95920-2-5b073d91bb67a.jpg (800x642, 374.26K)

It's more common than you think.
What's unusual is, that girls in cartoons are now also raised by single mothers.
Back then it was boy and single mother or girl and single father.

Ducks are raised by their uncles!
Come on, it's common knowledge.

>kids live by majority in Single Mother shit households

Source: my ass

Except that female characters are written as Men With Tits. I assure you if Amphibia or Owl Shit or the female characters from Infinity Train of Shit were written realistically they would have gotten their asses brutally killed off. Not joking, they would get killed by any threat.

And I blame the movie Aliens where the cock sucking STD director said "Our protagonist could have been male or female it doesn't matter so we opted to make the main lead female" yeah right. That twat would have been murdered by those blood thirsty aliens. No tough woman shit.

>All the other shows in that pic>Owl House
>The Dragon Prince had the dad die as part of a plot so it fits in the story. Trollhunters did this great. They barely talked about his dad in a way that clearly indicated some beef with him. Jim clearly was yearning for a father figure first with Strickler, and then found one in Blisky. And they finally addressed him in the final movie. Thats how you gotta do it.
>Hilda doesn’t mention her dad at all because he doesn’t matter to the story now, sometimes you don’t need to have a dad in a story about a girl and your mom.
>The Owl House was clearly going for what Hilda was doing, but then at the last moment they decided “no, Luz totally had a dad who died and this is totally a crucial part of her emotional story”. Like a lot of Owl House season 2, it was unplanned damage control in a desperate attempt to save a sinking ship. It’s the most cowardly pathetic way to do this plot line.

Attached: ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif (500x281, 2.55M)

>Hilda doesn’t mention her dad at all because he doesn’t matter to the story now, sometimes you don’t need to have a dad in a story about a girl and your mom.

In Hilda's case it's because the creator is a faggot s o y boy loser of a man who when asked about Hilda's father he basically said fathers are NOT important to a family. In the eyes of that retard Single Mothers are divine and superior. So as you can imagine he is shit. Can't speak about the creators of the other examples, but Hilda's is definitively a mangina.

Gizmoduck is raised by his mom. The only mention of his dad is that he called the mom worthless and left.

I hate how fathers are treated in media for generations now, if they are not absent? They are retarded and if not retarded basically unappealing like Anne's father in Amphibia who is a gamer stereotype. Look even if you use gaming to stream and get donation money? That is not something to be proud about, he looks like a damn manchild. And yes your kids will judge you negatively for being some grown ass man playing video games.

I agree, humans deserve to be abused by the system they celebrated. They already destroyed fatherhood so it would be delightful to see women get shafted in a way they don't like, if the State takes over then goodbye alimony prizes for parasite women.

It's a handy narrative tool. Overworked/busy/absent parents give you more time to focus on the kid and force the latter to take things into his own hands and go on adventures/put themselves in danger.

Orphans are popular, but are a bit of a can of worms that has to be addressed in some way. Two parents both being frequently absent starts to feel a bit too much like active neglect, which the story would have to address. Single parents are a narrative sweet spot, where you can have relatable family moments, but also force the parent out of the picture whenever you want in a way that feels a natural result of difficult circumstances. Also acts as a good, hanging narrative hook for a plot involving the mother finding love again, or the kid looking for a surrogate father/mentor figure (which are much more common and easier dynamics to pull off with strangers than surrogate mother figures, which can often get associated with odd sexual undertones).

It's common because it's easy. Now more than ever though I think there's a need for more "complete" families in media; there's a lot of untapped potential story-wise, and I think it's the sort of dynamic that, while a lot of people can relate to, has been absent for far too long and played out in only just a few ways that were already cliche back in the 70s.

Attached: 1547483864941.jpg (750x719, 589.2K)

Don't feel sorry for them, they voted for this shit. Same way Single Mothers are NOW complaining about children getting groomed by Disney? Those shitty sluts voted for it and paid for it by supporting corporations. They deserve whatever makes them feel uncomfortable.

>he basically said fathers are NOT important to a family
I don't think he said that, it's more that he didn't want to deal with the dad because he had no plans with him. That's better that forcing a father plot line just because.
basically after over 20 episodes of Luz not showing any signs of missing her father or that dad having any role in the story whatsoever, suddenly in an episode it's just the anniversary of his father's death and they act like it was totally an important emotional aspect of her. Despite not being the case at all.
S2 of Owl House in general is throwing things at the wall and see what sticks, tons of plot and characters were not planned in the slightest, yet the show tries to claim they were part of the overall story the whole time. To some people it works, but I can't stand it when the foundations are so weak.

>implying the MC with both parents and no family issues will be insane enough to start adventure

Attached: tumblr_ptis1uRScl1vhtejco2_1280.jpg (1280x923, 208.35K)

Hilda's creator is also most likely an actual pedophile because of the scene with Hilda being naked yeah that's creepy. Up there with the naked scenes of Gumball and also Power Puff Girls. If a creator enables or injects stuff like this, watch out. They probably are actual pedophiles.