The Wire

I just got done watching season one. This was easily one of the best crime dramas I've seen. Does it only get better in the later seasons?

Attached: 250.jpg (250x341, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DozVdtbMuM8&feature=youtu.be
youtube.com/watch?v=vn0ylNZhOJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Keep watching it fs

Seasons 1-4 are all great in their own way and have a claim at being the best. 5 has two shitty storylines and a new character who badly drags it down but the finale is fucking great so it's still well worth it.

two is a meme season (you'll see)
3 and 4 are great
nobody remembers 5

Fag, Ziggy best character

S2 was kind of an odd plot shift. S4 was my favorite.

McNutty's redball plotline was retarded and nonsensical per the objective re funding, totally unrealistic beyond anyone's wildest fantasy. ruined my suspension of disbelief and any potential case against Marlo forever, completely ruined due to their horrible insane decisions

Yeah, liking 2 basically hinges on whether or not you can engage with the dock story which is why it's so divisive

Season 2 is a major shift that's hard to get into at first. But it gets really good halfway through. Season 3 is more similar to the first.

>an odd plot shift
the original plan for the show was to have a new setting each season but after season 2 they got so much feedback they changed their plan and went back to the original characters

>alcoholic self-righteous cop makes bad decisions
what a surprise

S2 is fine if you skip 90% of ziggy scenes, not recommended on the first viewing but upon rewatching it, it makes it better.

yes

The Wire is the best show of all time

S4 is probably the best season.

This and The Sopranos are the 2 best series out there. You'll feel empty after you've watched both. Knowing you'll never get anything as good again.

lol s01 is the weakest so come back when youre done

Each season focuses on something different so it's not always better, it depends on what you like.

It's The Sopranos but otherwise you're right

Nah I'd say they're both about even. It's unfair to pick one over the other for me.

I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.

Attached: 1547291468061.jpg (1280x720, 103K)

I unironically enjoyed the journalism arch in season 5

>2
>meme
Pleb filtered

The only season that's noticeably worse than the rest is the last season. Personally I think the fourth season is the best.

I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.

Attached: 1565627253585.jpg (758x644, 64K)

Checking and approving

Attached: 1579089113732.gif (244x240, 387K)

1-4 kino of the highest order.
5 really is skippable but okay if you want more.
Fuck ziggy what a loser.

I liked season 2 better when I rewatched it. It kind of lacks focus in its storylines, but it slowly builds into a really beautiful overall story, and I liked it better when I knew what ending it was developing towards.

It doesn't get better, but it's still good.
My only problem is that Dominic West fucks up the acting of a drunken McNugget, making it sound like an amateur trying to be funny while imitating a drunk.

Why bait about such a good show, fuck you

McNulty's autistic schemes in S5 are kino

>GOD DAMN IT MCNULTY
>ITS 9AM IN THE GOD DAMN MORNING

Attached: JM2.png (400x229, 127K)

the show is forgettable garbage that's only rated highly because retards think it's a mockumentary

Imagine being this stupid. It's not meant to be a deep masterful symbol, it's meant to be d'Angelo introducing another way of thinking about their situation to these ghetto kids.

That's a pretty hot take bro careful not to get burned

>falling for a decade old copypasta

It don't make me no nevermind, blimey guv'nor

Attached: 493F53CE00000578-0-image-a-4_1518719301026.jpg (634x767, 91K)

where did you get it? I can' buy it or pirate it.

The way S5 ruined Freamon was worse to me, he was always on top of all procedure but suddenly he forgets something as basic as information from illegal wiretaps being inadmissible as evidence. McNulty's "development" in S5 was unnecessary, Freamon's was plain bad.

look harder

Why can't you pirate it?

I dunno, this is Yea Forums, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same retarded autist who's just reposting his honest opinion all these years.

it's not a good show. it's topical libtard garbage. it's the lowest of the low

What does "topical" mean to you?

Something known for being good that I can shit on to make people think I'm smart.

it's exactly what it means. it's topical. it's propaganda. it has no artistic merit

Yes exactly. It has no artistic merit at all. I bet everyone here is amazed at how cool and smart we are now.

I'm honestly impressed by what a retard you are, user, but still, explain to me how you came to that conclusion, I'm honestly curious.

I came to this conclusion because I'm smart and cool therefore anything that gets famous is automatically beneath my super smart brain.

>mcnutty spending an entire night looking and maps and drawing up lines to give a murder case to another department solely to fuck with rawls
kino

Why has dominic west only been in trash since the wire?

First season is best season since it's entirely focused on the cops and criminals. Second season is pretty silly with the stevedores storyline and the Greek coming across like a super villain, but still entertaining. Seasons 3 and 4 are solid, but by this point we're diverging greatly from the core of this series. Season 5 is the worst season with way too many plot lines; most of which simply aren't interesting.

he knew it was inadmissable, they put it down to an informant in their actual case files. it wasn't until after they arrested marlo and he told levy nobody else knew their clock code thing, levy realised they must have been sitting on the phones for a while to figure it out if nobody else could give up the system

And Freamon would've realized that would happen, if they hadn't dumbed him down a whole lot in order to make the plot work.

It's overhyped, like sopranos. A lot of solid characters and storytelling though, even if you don't like gangsta nigger shit.

Season 2 is on par with hamsterdam kino, it's literally a greek tragedy in baltimore. It's even more emotional if you come from working class yourself.

to be fair to the old dude, he was getting his brains drained out through his balls by wild stripper pussy half his age at this point.

Haven't bothered to watch after s3.
They introduce this weird bugman looking machiavellian psycho twiglet that's supposed to scare me or something and I'd just cringe.

Attached: cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpg (1200x675, 161K)

>final boss is not the smart and business savy criminal but the niggerest of niggas going nigger shit

Do you save your pasta on a word doc? Also, are you in Navy Seals too?

This inbred looking mofo wouldnt survive a day in my neighborhood bro

I agree. They jumped the shark so fucking far, that it landed. They went full retard and it worked actually! I like when he uses that Baltimore accent to talk to the reporter... MAD LULZ!

He turned down GoT in its infancy. He kicks himself over that decision. Lol

The point was life is fucked and never fair.

The Wire is mostly pretty good (season 5 is trash and Brother Mouzone is awful) but it never feels 'authentic' like it is clearly trying so hard to be. There are far too many scenes where it's patently obvious that white leftist writers are putting their worldview in the mouths of black people to try and get the audience to relate. Like when D'Angelo talks about power via chess pieces, or when he gives his street take on The Great Gatsby in season 2. The show is a step above most things made in the 2000s, but it is very obviously a product of the 2000s.

As a middle class dude living in India who has no clue how those dock worker unions function and why things were getting worse for them the season made confused me at a lot of places. Still love the show tho.

Omar the shotgun swinging dandy fag is one of the best written characters ever

The older and wiser guys West Baltimore King Niggas were removed from the scene so a young hotshot who hadn't learned the same lessons took over. The Barksdale crew had killed tons of people like Marlo in order to get where they were, and would've killed Marlo as well, if other things hadn't gone down. Marlo was nobody. If it wasn't him, someone else would've consolidated the drug trade in WB.

>i've been here for a whole year now so i know what's up

I liked Mouzone. I always pictured him as some studious autistic kid who snapped from bullying one day, and beat the crap out of some way larger kid. Then he realized he could do anything he wanted, and kept up with the suit and fly shit just to provoke other niggas and set himself apart from them in his mind.

have you ever watched a tv show without finding some way to cry about leftists?

he was just a nation of islam thug, that liked to larp as some genius because he wasn't as stupid as the street retards around him.

He clearly basked in feeling superior to most of the people around him, that's why he kept such an absolute retard around to fetch things for him.

what role would he have played?

Unnamed Lord 2

West wouldn’t say in the interview. I don’t think it was set. If I had to guess, Renly.

I kinda liked that he actually respected Omar some

that's season 2

I liked that too, I'm a sucker for characters who respect competence, although their little alley showdown made me cringe a little, perhaps the only time outside of S5.

>This inbred looking mofo wouldnt survive a day in my neighborhood bro

Attached: depositphotos_3735654-stock-photo-kid-at-his-pc-monitor.jpg (1023x682, 81K)

Attached: advice.jpg (470x800, 89K)

N-no, /pol/ told me this was SJW libshit propaganda....

>know nothing about this show but see it praised
>look up a synopsis
>the MC is a gay black guy fighting le evil white man
Yeah okay I'm not even touching this shit.

Season 2 is pure kino.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DozVdtbMuM8&feature=youtu.be

probably far-right propaganda at this point, i sometimes wonder if simon even watched his own show

Attached: oops.png (821x631, 670K)

it was a different time

it only gets better until you get to season 4 and the niglets in school plot. it's steady decline from there

>that S5 scene with the FBI profiler describing mcnulty's serial killer
apex kek

It's neither, it's just an intelligent man's take on many different aspects of important issues without adhering to any retarded two-party system gang mentality.

>you should watch the wire, it's so realistic
>A police captain declares a street a fully law-free zone, to concentrate drugs and issues there and clean other parts of the city
>realistic

kek, haven't seen this pasta for ages

I'm finishing s3 now. yes, it is very very good, if you find any series better than the wire it's gonna be sopranos

>so realistic, did you see the nation of islam hitman?

Attached: brothermouzone.jpg (700x534, 116K)

The fuck did he do?

>overhyped
Both The Wire and The Sopranos deserve the hype. I'd say Breaking Bad was an overhyped show, especially now that BCS shit's all over it in terms of quality. Still enjoyed it a lot when it originally aired.

Mouzone wasn't a Nation hitman, he was a gangbanger hitman who was into the NoI's muslim shit. If a Christian member of a Christian church murders someone for money, it doesn't make him a hitman of that church.

What about other "golden age" shows? Deadwood? Mad Men?

Digging the hard R's.

it's a bit one note, runs out of good ideas by the end and gets tiring as a result, but it's fun enough for a b-tier HBO show.

Checked for truth and wisdom.

NOI used to have a lot of connections to shady shit
ask Malcolm X if they didn't had hitmen

kek the captioning was very hit and miss, definitely needs a re-do

Attached: ga.png (794x631, 600K)

But nothing connects Mouzone to them, he's just the Wee-Bey of Avon's New York connection.

fair enough

Deadwood i personally think is extremly overhyped, especially on Yea Forums, while still being a good show. To this day i haven't finished Mad Men, had to drop it somewhere in s03 when it originally aired and never picked it up again. A Golden Age show that is severly underhyped is Six Feet Under.

All time best source of quotes, no doubt

Who /Bodie/ here?

Attached: composure.jpg (1284x949, 101K)

>Six Feet Under
The premise sounds silly, tell me what's good about it.

pls stop its just march I can't burn my yearly wire rewatch chip this soon

he'll always be kenny to me

Attached: warmer?.png (794x631, 564K)

Didn't like season 4 all that much, can't stand kids let alone ones that try be thug

when body got arrested and said "i'm sixteen yo" in season one i literally laughed at my tv. dude looks at least 25

I can't tell the age of black people, and Bodie least of all.

The writing, casting and acting is top tier, it hits its stride in the third episode, probably the best drama show that is not focused on crime. Get's really dark and depressing without going overboard, lots of realistic interpersonal conflicts. The first show with a gay couple in it were it doesn't feel shoehorned in for woke points, an absolutely great series finale. Honestly, it's an excellent show.

Reminds me of "The West Wing".

Adding it to the list.

>world goin one way, people another yo

that's weird because I consider both sfu and dw in my top 3, probably the best two shows if you enjoy character development and great acting

Six feet under was great. Fell off towards the end but solid show. I concur

How many motherfucking times I gotta tell you?

IT'S BRICKS, MAN
gottamn

Overrated show, literally shilled by hbo critics and remembered as classic because of those shills and the fact that there were no shows like today are.

My all time top 3 is The Sopranos, The Wire and Six Feet under, BCS and Gomorra - La Serie are strong contenders for third place right now though neither is BCS finished nor did i watch the last season of Gommora yet. DW is lower for me, Ian McShane is eldergod-tier though.

How do we feel about popes?

Attached: The_New_Pope_Malkovich-1024x573.jpg (1024x573, 86K)

Ziggy was not a terrible character

>show turns into you watching all your favourite niggas getting popped one by one

Is this how slave owners felt?

did the actor of bodie starred in oz and sopranos at the same time?

the wire is the shield for faggot nigger lovers.

Attached: 1582241724217.jpg (398x600, 27K)

s2>1>4>3>5

Stringer is the most over rated character in television history, and the anime hitman ruined rest of season 3

DAMN Dylan Roof looks like THAT?

The Gatsby scene was kino though

Attached: dasa.gif (500x232, 493K)

Dropped it towards the end of the first season, acting, casting and cinematography are great but the show failed to captivate me.

youtube.com/watch?v=vn0ylNZhOJI

kino

Oz ended shooting before The Wire started IIRC. Oz needs to be appreciated more, even if it's not a top-tier show it still paved the way for the cable tv golden age. Without Oz and its success The Wire would've never bern green-lit.
>The Shield
Talk about overrated. Kurt Sutter is an absolute hack. Why Yea Forums has a boner for The Shield i will never understand, same goes for Justified.

Its kino from start to finish

>Oz
>character is called Bitcher
>becomes a prison bitch
Whoah... deep.

goddamn I love McNulty

it's way the fuck more realistic that any other crime-dramas, you desperate fuckwit

kurt sutter wasnt the showrunner, just a writer offering shitty ideas.

SOMEONES GOT TO GET GOT

THE GAME IS THE GAME

I WANT MY CORNERS

nigger school on season three was trash.

hamsterdan is a stupid concept that they deal like the liberal simple minded faggots they are.

last season whole media manipulation arc was borderline retard with a boring end.

over hyped trash.

Attached: 1582814247286.jpg (521x767, 42K)

Anything Sutter is involved in is going to be dogshit, wether he's the showrunner, writer or fucking caterer.

2 is the best season on rewatch. Its just jarring the first time.

I'm doing this new thing where if I notice someone like 130294086 posting utterly moronic shit, I stop reading and hide the post before I get any more fucking stupid from bothering to read that shit

4 is the meme season, you dumbass.

They still did this just with far less emphasis on the new setting. Season 3 introduced the hall, Season 4 the schools and Season 5 the paper.

wich prove that you never watch the shield, you dense motherfucker.

Attached: 1580763301819.png (613x605, 338K)

The Shield got better each season while this one peaked at season 2. HBO never knows how to end a show in a satisfying or well written manner

god I miss IMDb

and the shield never painted mean mother fucking gang bangers as sweet little capitalists, like the wire did.

niggers, spics, eastern europeans, cops, everybody in the shield is fucked up.

based and hope this doesn't turn into a meme like the season 2 opinion

And everyone in the Shield gets what they deserve, including Vic

Attached: DB3D986F-1068-4FA4-8E7B-9EE7B1E3629A.png (300x224, 84K)

>sweet little capitalists
WHERE'S WALLACE, STRING?

cerebral and emotional ending, one of the best ever done. everything is perfect.

I dropped it after three episodes because it's shit, if a show isn't getting better after three episodes it's not worth my time.

you faggits wanna go make your own thread instead of piggy-backing of a cult-classic?
oh wait, it's gonna die 10 posts in because the shield is garbage with no talent in it

>season 2
>MUH UNION BOOMERS
>'MEMBER WHEN WE WERE NOT WHITE TRASH?
fuck off

WTF was his problem?

Attached: xmq6rznpf6f11.jpg (500x374, 20K)

autism

Absent father, neglected mother with mental issues, no future in the only line of work he knows anything about, probably some kind of learning disorder, no self-esteem.

White

basically, your average Yea Forums poster

I like to think of it as an arc of all the character's hes played. He starts off as a dock worker, low self esteem fuck up, then becomes a Marine and goes to Iraq, then when he gets home becomes a corrupt cop and eventually gets killed.

not bad but I'd put GK first in that sequence
he clearly came back from the sandpit all fucked up and tried to get into the family line of work just to sperg out and get a duck

I can get it. Growing up in a place like that... either you'd become a nazi or a commie.

>and the shield never painted mean mother fucking gang bangers as sweet little capitalists, like the wire did.
What the fuck are you even talking about? The only wannabe capitalist was Stringer and he was conned by a nigger politician and a jewish lawyer. How the fuck are Marlo and Avon capitalists?

I know but it's why his madness in season 5 makes sense. He always did things because he wanted to be in the right andwithout thinking of the consequenses. Remember the map shenanigans came back to bite him in the ass.
The profiling the FBI did of his made up serial killer, while a little on the nose, was also a spot on description of mcnutty

Nah. He starts off as Ziggy as a fuck up dock worker. Murders those guys. Takes a plea bargain with the Judge and joins the Marines to avoid jail time, which they actually talk about in Generation Kill. As the war winds down he suffers from PTSD, moves to California and changes his name and becomes a burnout fuckup corrupt cop, shaking down people for money. Then gets killed as seen in Bosch.

Thing is, the irl barksdale was just a shitty drug dealer who got caught.
They had to make up this complex drug kingpin when irl he was just a shitty dealer.

They're showcases of aspects of the whole of society, culture, economy etc., aspects that mold the lives of many people, even if those real people don't provide any neat storylines like the ones seen in The Wire. If you want pure realism, you should watch The Corner instead.