How come Cartoon Network had such a larger cultural impact compared to Nickelodeon?

How come Cartoon Network had such a larger cultural impact compared to Nickelodeon?

Attached: BN-HJ707_Adult__H_20150312172522.jpg (659x439, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jvtQx_tkmtc
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force_Colon_Movie_Film_for_Theaters
youtube.com/watch?v=v6mwBT9r1iQ
youtu.be/eI_el2XhI8s
youtube.com/watch?v=uYGH3GRBJF0
youtu.be/xCKtq_hANrw
youtube.com/watch?v=jnxbreSfQ48
youtube.com/watch?v=VJLDK8j_HnA
youtube.com/watch?v=Ir__i56vtoE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nick fucked up by introducing live teen kids show while Cartoon Network actually showed cartoons
In current year both is terrible during the afternoon. Sometimes they show ok shows at night/midnight

All those shows were absolute kino, especially mission hill.

youtube.com/watch?v=jvtQx_tkmtc

they're all trash. more like cringe hill.

God, I love the aesthetic of Adult Swim. It's such a genuine crime that they survive off of fucking Family Guy reruns.

Nick had Jimmy Neutron, Timmy Turner, Spongebob, and I can't remember the rest someone help me
Cartoon Network on the other hand has a shit load of good shows during the time

Attached: ERvKQUAWsAA4P6g.jpg (1200x646, 85K)

based underage faggot

Were not talking about bed you lie on at night user.

better selection of shows

Attached: 1538264676984.webm (640x480, 1.28M)

Adult Swim stuff on late in the evening when kids were staying up late that kids actually wanted to watch. While Nickelodeon during the same time slots was airing fucking I Love Lucy and Happy Days. Not knocking either shows but if you're a 12 year old would you rather watch those, or Aqua Teen?

You can't molest cartoons and Nickelodeon was being operated by degenerates. Nickelodeon started dropping their animation which was the only thing of note they had.

>Hideki Naganuma!?
>こんにちはピーター、愛の概念を理解していますか?

Power Puff Girls was a massive hit and basically carried all the other shows. Then they hit the goldmine that was Adult Swim and Toonami in the early 2000s when adult animation and anime were at peak popularity.

Cartoon Network was for kids
Nickelodeon was for adults that like kids

>CARTOON CARTOON
EEnE
PPG
Dexter
Samuri Jack
>Toonami
Dragon Ball
Yuyu Hakusho
Naruto
>Adult Swim
Fox sitcom shit
Space Ghost universe (ATHF, Squids, Brak)
Anime
Mission Hill
All that alternative music

I mean, they really had a huge hand in defining millennial nerd culture. Nick had the Sponge and that's it.

Half of these aired on networks before cn

And the only one anyone had heard of was Futurama

>TOM and Sarah still giving us Anime and Game Reviews after all these years
>AS showcasing indie bands/DJ's every so often
>Clever Splash cards that could be Passive Agressive, jokes about other shows, jokes about random nonsense, philosophical, insperational, or just plain weird

This is why I love CN/Adult Swim (moreso AS, since these days all CN wants to show is Teen Titans Go). It doesn't feel like a generic late night block. It feels like it's made by people that actually watch Adult Swim.

They're a lot more experimental with what they let air on their network. Any other network would've looked at shit like ATHF or Robot Chicken and immediately said no

Attached: 2567944-toonamitom2.jpg (480x270, 14K)

UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND

SpongeBob is more culturally relevant than every single CN show combined.

Attached: 1556413460685.webm (640x360, 1.5M)

this took me back

If you have autism

It didn't. Rugrats and Spongebob both had more of an impact than anything on CN. CN didn't have a movie that wasn't a flop until TTGO to the movies

>"The film was a box office success, making $5,520,368 domestically against its $750,000 budget."

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aqua_Teen_Hunger_Force_Colon_Movie_Film_for_Theaters

Attached: 81xuLNDzhAL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1332, 269K)

Visual meme fodder doesn't count. CN shaped a generation's sense of "cool" and there are many adults who still to this day are butthurt about Jim Samples.

Remember those late nights staying up watching Inuyasha?

>Visual meme fodder doesn't count.

Humping the couch during Kagome's screen time.

youtube.com/watch?v=v6mwBT9r1iQ

Attached: dfs.jpg (550x413, 26K)

youtu.be/eI_el2XhI8s

EDmind

Then going to Suncoast and preordering some dvds good times

Attached: inu.jpg (1300x975, 194K)

youtube.com/watch?v=uYGH3GRBJF0
Will it ever be topped?

To be honest, if Toonami started showing Subbed anime as soon as it came out I'd probably watch Toonami a lot more

How you gonna hit me with these feels?

If you were a teenager when AS started running, that shit was fucking life-changing. You'd never seen anything like it.

This could be said... years ago.

I mean... If we're not gonna say overall then you could.. Say the same about CN because they haven't done shit in years

based but the movie itself is actually quite weak.

Oh fuck. Watching Mind Game that night was so comfy.

I LIKE YOUR BOOTY
BUT IM NOT GAY

CN had a way better aesthetic, even outside of AS. Nickelodeon lost its identity when the gross-out "arts-and-crafts" aesthetic went out of style and all they were left with were bright orange. Meanwhile CN embraced the 60's revivalism of the time, which gave everything they produced a more sophisticated vibe even when it veered into the vulgar and juvenile.

The movie was absolute fucking kino

Puts every anime I've seen to shame

I remember when I was 10 and watching FLCL for the first time on AS. And then I was sad because I thought Naota was going to go to space and fight space pirates but the show was just that short
The ED was also based
youtu.be/xCKtq_hANrw

yeah, that and the opening track that's it. not giving the plutonians and the moonintes more screen time is a big mistake.

funny you should mention this when jap usually treat movies as a cheaper way to sell a show as opposed to doing it normally on TV

>mfw finding out puffy ami yumi weren't even that popular in Japan

I remember being 14 and seeing FLCL for the first time. I fell in love with Haruko and she was my waifu into my 20s.

I think the thing about Toonami that drew me in the most was the sound and color palette of it all. As a kid, you're bombarded by big bright colors, and loud, wacky music, there to try and get your attention. But Toonami's aesthetic was like sitting in a room with the only thing on being your computer monitor. The music was kino, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=jnxbreSfQ48

FLCL will always be a miracle to me.

That's true. The Cartoon city bumpers were the best

The idea of little space guy broadcasting kickass shows onto Earth kid's tvs is brilliant.

Better production crew. Not only did they have more diverse programming, their programming blocks were shows into themselves, such as Cartoon Cartoons, Toonami, or any of the various Friday night blocks they would do to hype the new episode premieres. It made Nick seem very low rent in comparison. I would also venture that on the whole; CN had better animation.

Nickelodeon killed itself and its original programming by becoming the Rugrats network. Apparently they made the same mistake with Spongebob, but I had already stopped watching. CN actually had good programming after school, then hit it out of the park with Adult Swim.
Nick at Night was based though.
I MADE AN OMELETTE FOR SATAN

>Nick at Night was based though
>Let's play some High tier boomer shit on the first channel for kids
No. AS at least had cartoons

Moltar > Tom

A while back I came home from the bars drunk as fuck around 2, and my sister was watching George Lopez on Nick at Night. I sat and watched till I passed out lol

Based

youtube.com/watch?v=VJLDK8j_HnA

Unironic fucking soul, even in the 2010s.

oh shit his VA died? i loved space ghost c2c

Passed away seemingly at random four years ago. Baffled his friends. Really weird thing.

I miss toonami, even tho I was in my early 20's in the beginning. Was kino just like the pre-launch of the sci-fi channel.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ir__i56vtoE

I’d always swap channels with CN and TechTV/G4TechTV. I didn’t ask for these feels...

>Nickelodeon killed itself and its original programming by becoming the Rugrats network. Apparently they made the same mistake with Spongebob, but I had already stopped watching
Here's what happened.
>Games Animation makes Doug, Rugrats, Rocko, Real Monsters, Hey Arnold, Angry Beavers
>Nick gets full control of Games Animation
>Klasky Cuopo take over with their very ugly cartoons
>These very nearly kill the network, except for Spongebob taking off
>Spongebob being such a hit enables them to go experimental.
>We get a bunch of cartoons that either do take off but get kneecapped (Zim), decent shows like Jimmy Neutron and Avatar and garbage like ChalkZone and Danny Phantom
>Klasky Cuopo fuck off
>by this time, the network has no good established shows after Avatar and Jimmy Neutron end

CN had more than one flagship title. Nick was either Rugrats or Spongebob being the top dogs. The infusion of insipid shows like My Cousin Skeeter and the Brothers Garcia killed a lot of fun too. Along with TeenNick

>mission hill
Worth seeking out the fanedit which restored all the original music. The DVDs replaced pretty much all of it with bad production music.

They wanted shows like Zim to do spongebob numbers and axed them when they couldn't because they were advertising spongebob all the time. It's kind of insane

>You can't molest cartoons and Nickelodeon was being operated by degenerates
kek this makes sense

Attached: 1562061901372.jpg (4032x3024, 2.61M)

Does anyone know what this song is called?

Caccialanza, Dinesh, Luscombe - Mandeer

I like your booty, but I’m not gay.

Recently watched Inuyasha, fully. Loved it.
What are some good animes like it?
I need something long to watch.
Also watched YuYuHakusho.

They stopped using the mooninites and Plutonians after season 3.

Based FLCLchads

Just the other night I came home really drunk, cracked open another cold one and chucked on my Assy McGee DVD, watched it until I passed out.

This

>They're a lot more experimental with what they let air on their network. Any other network would've looked at shit like ATHF or Robot Chicken and immediately said no

Weird shit like too many cooks that's meant to come of nowhere and be seen at like 3am when your tired as fuck, drunk or high and just confuse you are amazing.

ITT: pic related

Attached: 1578003738917.png (371x361, 72K)

It was really AS letting artists be artists that is what made it so great. Let genuine creatives do their thing and give them enough resources and you can get magic.
See also: Bell Labs, LucasArts, RD3, Liquid Television