Comic & manga

As someone who love both the comic and the manga.
How do i describe the difference between manga action panel and comic action panel to others ?
They both gave powerful emotional feeling and are very actional while you read them, but it's very obvious they are different.

Attached: IMG_20220425_174411.png (1080x1880, 2.47M)

Go read understanding comics.

Go check some of the crossover examples of in between shit to see it in action.. Frank Miller's Ronin, Luther Strode, Attack on titan.

Look up decompression vs compression in comics, that's essemtially the key storytelling difference between the two

Comics are like picture books, manga are like storyboards. This is so deeply ingrained in each medium that once you realize it you won't be able to stop noticing it. That's because manga as we know it today was inspired by film, while comics were inspired by literature. Even nowadays, when comics are very different from how they used to be in the Golden/Silver age, most people still subconsciously use the same style of only showing the crucial (if even that) bits of action, while manga can get away with having detailed, drawn-out fight scenes.
Another thing is that the Big 2 comics, are, unironically, not very action-focused. Action, just like many other things in American fiction, is a means to an end. It's something that exists in the story but doesn't get a lot of focus. Japan, on the other hand, is all about indulgence in fiction, so if there's action, chances are, there's gonna be a great emphasis on action, if there's cooking, there's gonna be emphasis on cooking, if there's engineering, there's gonna be emphasis on engineering... Well, it helps that the people who make stuff about certain things are usually really INTO these things and not just use them as yet another tool in a story.
This response is wrong. There's pretty of long-ass decompressed comics that still use the picture book method and utilize the panels inherently differently than manga. Even a lengthy fight scene in a Western comic that lasts an entire issue still won't have tight choreography and will skip a lot. A lot of people writing/drawing comics cannot even imagine

(cont.)
A lot of people writing/drawing comics cannot even imagine making a fight scene manga style, it's an insane concept and waste of pages to them. Despite everything, there's still quite a bit more pretense to comics than to manga: telling what the creator perceives as a meaningful story comes first and foremost, and indulging in the fun of it is often barely an afterthought.

Attached: 1643349816495.jpg (2390x3440, 1.01M)

I feel like you're far too heavily biased toward manga to be saying anything about comics here

Manga tends to take forever on a single fight seriously, Psykos vs Tatsumaki took way too long. Comics are more like talking heads babbling about philosophy or whatever random shit the writer likes with maybe two pages of boring action, Also manga tends to be more stylized

>A lot of people writing/drawing comics cannot even imagine making a fight scene

Why not trying what the Hong Kong comic artists did, mix eastern and western style together ?

Attached: RCO022_1484005566.jpg (987x1600, 595.33K)

Attached: RCO011_1484005566.jpg (967x1600, 575.14K)

>Also manga tends to be more stylized
I disagree with this, comic can bw stylize and epic to look at too

Attached: Hero-Envy-Thor_Vol_1_388a.jpg (1600x1226, 720.24K)

Attached: 0eb2e825f63f8d71a3f3a2856691a14f.jpg (570x860, 209.95K)

Pic related gives an explanation from a mangaka point of view, granted he is ony talking about cape comics from the 60s, even back there were comics this did not apply to, and comic styles have changed a lot since then.

Attached: drifting%20p624.jpg (2239x3351, 702.97K)

Attached: hearty American chuckle.jpg (582x600, 294.19K)

American comics USE to try to look stylish and epic. Most modern comic art generally lacks any type of impactful visual aesthetics whatsoever.

Attached: d3c2dde0a8d858462d2f4aa4e2bb4211--female-thor-lady-thor.jpg (655x994, 182.74K)

I agree with this completely. A lot of manga flows very neatly, you take in the words and the images at the same time, and the art itself is telling a story. Most western comics have way too much words, and even the ones that keep it to a minimal usually still have panel art that lacks emotion.

For comparison:

Fuck

Attached: thor3.jpg (454x665, 119.72K)

Attached: Thor-172p.jpg (900x1343, 206.27K)

There's still plenty of comics with stylized looks. You don't even have to dig that deep.

Attached: m2PJHkL_OANHlPmhVnF38kO8vhIUmZCfSgiZwo1jAj0xP7EXDZQ4v-Wu3L3Qk7trLk6pgRlH6hDEDclVLGLxYB8mBUZag2CTpKffjtvJGz65zsFt1YznXuNs5666j1eoQMo7r0DN4gI=s1600.jpg (1040x1600, 607.29K)

This isn't "stylized" it's just plain bad art

you describe them by describing the individual artists because that's where the actual difference lies

By its nature it is stylized, even if you don't like it.

Reminds me of when people call Something is Killing the Children "stylized."

What comic artists do you like Yea Forums? I like Dan Mora

Forgot pic

Attached: OnceFuture_020_PRESS_6.jpg (2500x3845, 2.44M)

Hong Kong comic books are super male target and male dominated , they had many elements that you don't see in American superhero comics nowadays.
Like older husband and young wife

Attached: sketch-1650549342365.png (1080x1975, 3.03M)

>last panel
That's a really awkward way to clash hammers. Wouldn't it be better if their heads clashed?

Could have used a better example. Your pic looks like someone’s notebook drawings.

Attached: EB7AEF8F-B5C0-42EE-B6DC-DEA0CB8E3A6D.jpg (1988x3056, 1.02M)

>Hong Kong comic books are super male target and male dominated
Just like cape comics? Don't tell me you believe women actually read anything other than Nightwing.

>older husband and young wife
Does this even appeal to young men? A lot of writer self insert characters in comics were not well received

he's not wrong

Frank Frazetta even though he more known for his paintings.

Attached: A2BD9777-8390-42EB-9B9F-C248104AAC0D.jpg (935x1118, 305.83K)

Attached: 7B1118DE-C860-452E-8BE5-0CDEFA37D3EE.jpg (888x1050, 296.9K)

Tradd Moore

Attached: VENOM2016150018_19_spread_color_low.jpg (1000x773, 257.18K)

it's so hard to make what the fuck is going on. Many western comic are just plain incomprehensible and rely too much on tracing Poser

Here's another pig of the hot wife
>>Just like cape comics? Don't tell me you believe women actually read anything other than Nightwing

What i mean is the HK comic book company and the writers/artists know there are mostly only men that read and buy their works, so the the tone of the stories are super musculien and 99% male target, there are almost no female target fanservise, despite having many super muscular male characters.
He's not the protagonist, just the young handsome protester's father in law, so no problems with that.

Attached: 1650510135991.png (1080x1975, 3.47M)

I do, but I like different pairings in general. I like /ss/, I like Amazon women on scrawny men, I like blacks on blondes and brown girls with white guys, I like huge musced guys and little goblin girls. Its like different flavors. Its not a self-insert or humiliation thing at all to me; I just like seeing interesting pairings. People who rage about those sort of pairings always seem insecure. Like older man/younger women seems to make young men seethe because they fear an older experienced man being more appealing, or older women seethe that a man would prefer a younger woman.

>Like older man/younger women seems to make young men seethe
I have literally never seen any of this seethe you describe unless you're trying to count Fat Ugly Bastards which is less about the actual appearance of the guy and more about how NTR is a shit fetish.

>Does this even appeal to young men?
Ehh, I'm fine with it personally.
Plus "badass old dude" is almost always fun.
Especially if they're the villain.

Attached: adeaa6920feb3277af741122236ea1b0.jpg (869x1218, 286.1K)

I’m personally not a fan of Moore’s style, but there are times when I can definitely see the appeal.

Attached: 1C0CD30A-02FC-4394-A11E-1BF3406C3B1E.jpg (781x1200, 208.67K)

Since theres only like 10 women on Yea Forums and the women here are kinky bitches usually I always think people who hate Bruce/Babs as a pairing are younger guys. There's always seething because "he's too old for her!"

Yea Forums probably dislikes him, but I love Nick Bradshaw.

Attached: Spidey1.jpg (2005x1534, 1.78M)

My dude, the people who would say "he's too old for her" are typically going to be women and simps.

>There's always seething because "he's too old for her!"
Because he's her second dad user. Age is tertiary in this situation, the power dynamics are entirely imbalanced given the mentor/mentee relationship and both have far more reasonable, actually canon partners rather than Bruce Timm's fixation. Ignoring that, complaining about older males is near universally women.

Well yes, but as I said, the women who post here are busy wanting to hold down and fuck fictional nerds from failed cartoon pilots or drawing Trey Parker as a cuntboy, which leaves only simps. And the type of simps concerned about the age difference are younger ones . Older simps would just see it and think they have an in.

>Well yes, but as I said, the women who post here are busy wanting to hold down and fuck fictional nerds from failed cartoon pilots or drawing Trey Parker as a cuntboy
user, that's not going to stop them from complaining about older man/younger woman pairings.
If there's anything you should learn about women when it comes to their kinks, it's that the vast majority of them are giant hypocrites.
The kind of people who will flick the bean to gay shota while also spending hours online bitching about some pairing in a cartoon or comic where a 40 year old dude bangs a 26 year old woman.

Sense of movement is great on the first panel. Fantastic panel, really. The rest feel too disconnected from eachother.

He's quite ripped for a old man that lost one eye and one leg.

Attached: IMG_20220426_103310.jpg (939x1561, 761.36K)

>disconnected

I'm in a minority here but I never minded this from US comics. I like the flow of manga pages, sure, but with US comics I don't mind the "imagine the action" part people here seem to hate.

Attached: ejuFvuuQlM1P9YJfHT59H6ml1vb0zvQ10Bpg8aenZUbe4aj4dtDhB65SiN4IKwbCUsddEow9BlaW=s1600.jpg (977x1600, 476.83K)

Too accurate. Seriously though, why are they never deleted on Yea Forums?

>>Ripped old man is badass i agee, just like in
>> so the the tone of the stories are super musculien and 99% male target, there are almost no female target fanservise.

Because of this reason , sexual assaults and rape in HK comic are like in Japanese manga, often play out as a guilty pleasure elements.
You know it's bad, and the story also told the reader that this is bad & character that did this is evil However the scene/panel like to show it in an erotic tone. In the lower panel, a villan want to old man to offer his own wife for sexual pleasure as his sex slave/concubine,
to avoid their village being attack .
This if it's in American comics, won't show as anything sexy fanservise at all.
HK comic, however, put a panel that show the imaging sexual act the villan is imaging he is going to do.
This is not going to happen in American superhero comics, especially nowadays.

Attached: IMG_20220426_105336.png (835x1768, 2.29M)

Asian media in general has plenty of rape.
They don't seem to get as vein-poppingly angry when they see rape in media as westerners do.

Western media is also full of rape, its like one of the oldest cliches in the book right up there with dead parents

>Western media is also full of rape
What's a current comic made in the last 5 years that depicts actual rape with nudity?
Hard mode: Child rape

Rape used to be popular as fuck in American(I refuse to say western, fuck that, we're talking about American made products most of the time) media. People over 40 don't see it as big of a deal and there was plenty of rape in movies in the 90's. Older comedians still joke about it.

Going back to the western thing, Latin America still doesn't see it as a big deal in media; a few years ago a telenovella had an ending where the main villainess goes to jail and gets gangraped

>(I refuse to say western, fuck that, we're talking about American made products most of the time)
I think it's best to just say Anglo, since everything people say about America also largely applies to Canada, Australia, the UK, and New Zealand.

>Asian media in general has plenty of rape.
>They don't seem to get as vein-poppingly angry when they see rape in media as westerners do.

Yes, here is another scene where the same heroine get rape by the villan.
As you can see, it's very different from the infamous Dr light scene which is shown as a horrible and disgusting tone.

Attached: IMG_20220426_115820.png (914x2195, 3.41M)

Page 2

Attached: IMG_20220426_121353.png (592x1839, 1.88M)

Page 3

Attached: IMG_20220426_121411.png (692x1877, 1.88M)

I like old comics, they're comfy, but manga is easier to consume. i think there's a lot of potential for genuine discussion how the difference in distribution of comics and manga affected their industries but the well is poisoned by tribal mentality.

Ngl, that's pretty hot.