The Western comic book industry is a joke that's run its course. It's time to just stop

The Western comic book industry is a joke that's run its course. It's time to just stop.

Attached: berserk.png (650x415, 42.9K)

Berserk's about the only bright spot in Dark Horses' manga library, I don't think any of their other releases have nearly as much presence. Shoutouts for Dark Horse for managing to do the impossible and publish Mob Psycho 100 out of order.

>hellboy

lol, does this guy believe its popular today? lmao what a caveman
umbereall academy? i dont even know of it. your oldfaggy nostalgia is simply unknown today lol

I love comics but has there even been any modern run close to generating as much hype as a modern manga? It seems like their only popularity comes from the movies and that doesn't really count since I think even the movie tie in comics do poorly.

I can kinda understand. Manga volumes have how many pages, 100-200? While american floppies have like 25. Hellboy is a fine comic but it's kinda stilted and has a cool art style when it's still but manga looks great when they draw things in motion.

>east vs west thread

Attached: manga vs graphic novels.webm (720x1280, 1.95M)

>today
He said of all time, numbnuts.

what year did weebshit and otaku culture overtake the west?

Attached: see.png (235x233, 70.98K)

>a tweet from a year ago
weebshits should all be put against the wall and shot

heh?

if young people dont buy the series, then it just comes to the end. "all time" doesnt mean anything here. im pretty sure most of the "new" readers buying berserk comics up are zoomers, and they arent buying hellboy at al. so hellboy is going to die. simple as.

>tfw it's almost been a year since Miura died
It still hurts bros...

Attached: adgqeZ0.png (1000x1016, 993.79K)

Umbrella Academy is a totally pointless unreadable comic and was hugely improved on in the show.

>beserk outsold an incoherent mess with only three books out to date
I love umbrella academy but i mean, come on...

After the anime boom. Late 90's I think?

Late 90s when DBZ and Pokemon took over the world.

Never heard of umbrella academy. Is it drawn by an actual child?

Attached: embed-5fabf46f9a15b.jpg (780x793, 151.72K)

I'm genuinely tired of their faggotry but it helps that telling them weebshit still makes less than western media causes them massive seethe

Didn't a single issue of Daemon Slayer outsell all of America's comicbook industry combined?

Attached: 1620325698124.jpg (1080x1080, 64.05K)

>finally gets to the graphic novel section, it is also full of manga
Western comics just can't win

Manga = wasteful, unlimited print in b&w on cheap paper that'll turn yellow in under 10 years. Telling forgettable stories with no endings until the day the creator dies.

Comics = limited prints. In color. Collectable. Concise, concluded storytelling using IPs that can be handed off to another generation, or exist in parallel with other teams, across different multiple continuities.

Manga doesn't have a readership. It has impulse buyers.
Yeah, bookstores have lots of Manga to sell. But they also don't have entire series. They might have vol 1-5, then Vol 25 and Vol 43. And you'd have to order-to-print the rest.

With western comics, you can generally pick it up at any point. And read them in any order.

>>>/global/rules/3
>You will not post any of the following outside of Yea Forums: Troll posts

it really is painful

>Graphic novels
>still more manga
KEK

The comic book industry wants to die. The Big Two has made it obviously clear they want that POC/Female/LBGTAQ+ audience at the expense of Straight White Males that make up the majority of their audience. To the point that writers will outright mock, ridicule and even insult their fan base over it and portray them as caricatures in their comics.

Well, if that's what they want, that's what they get. What's the result? Oh, sales are declining? Really? Is anyone here honestly surprised that women, ethnic minorities, and gay community don't really care about comics?

Considering comic sales have been in a slump since the 80s, that's not the flex weebs think it is

West shit is all hype and embezzlement.

The core audience of the comic book industry is teen girls, user. Pic related outsells the entire catalogue of Marvel Comics just like mangas do, and the only reason DC is on sales charts at all is because Watchmen and V For Vendetta continue to be must owns for every library. Without Adam Moore, capeshit doesn't sell enough copies of anything to be worth notice

Attached: BE00D4E2-918F-40BF-AED0-7F2974D7EA62.png (1076x702, 1.27M)

Unholy amounts of cope

heh?

Are you even human? You sound fucking retarded.

>First part of Graphic Novels section is still manga
Okay that's kinda funny

Comics are the same IP fucking around in garbage stories for damn near a century now.

It being "collectible" is a scam because of how absolutely trash 99% of comics have been since inception.

Everyone is sick of American comics being g stuck in a fucking ghetto. Being told the same bykkshit by the same incestuous group of fucking losers creeps. Now degenerate sociopaths and alphabet agency agents pushing demoralization and grooming!!

>that's not the flex
Oh but it is.

Somewhere around 2012-13

Holy shit, I still feel like that was a few months ago

Pokemon and Hello Kitty are the 2 most profitable media franchises, Dragonball and Spider-Man combined profits including the movies, toys and games are identical.

>With western comics, you can generally pick it up at any point. And read them in any order.
>Actually types this and does not realize the very issue with this on an industry and general audience level and why it's losing out to manga

What would be a flex then?

It was heading g for the sitter for decades now. Even before the powers that be backed gay thing.

It was old out of touch men telling each other stories and lying about how popular they actually were to the public.
WHILE denigrating anything outside of their trash heap.

The miles morales ya comic outsold every American comic period.
Also that beastboy girl aimed book is killing it in sales.
Watchmen and v for vendetta aren't as popular as you hope.
Comics are fucked and if they don't push different stories it will die completely.

Are those dragon comics actually any good?

It literally isn't though. A manga outsold something that's had lagging sales for over 30 years. Would you gloat about your Porsche going faster than someone's Kia?

>A manga
Any manga. Not just the mega popular ones. You could pick a manga out of a hat and chances are it outsells whatever western tripe you want to compare it against.

what

how bad was the misprint

Attached: 1649913712382.gif (480x480, 1.57M)

>The miles morales ya comic outsold every American comic period.
Because everything featured in the Scholastic catalogue outsells anything in the direct comic book market.

Dogman is outselling every other western comic by a mile, because Scholastic is pushing on kids it like crazy, and it's perfect for kids.

I'm more shocked that DC and Marvel is still trying to chase after other demographics, especially women and the younger generations, when they have proven for almost two decades that these people aren't interested and won't buy their comics.

But now it's come to the point that "Modern" comics makes Jack Chick looks sane in comparison. People mocked Jack Chick for being extremely intolerant, irrational and insane. But how can anyone now say Jack Chick is off his rocker when Marvel and DC are promoting this non-binary pronoun non-sense and saying people can choose their gender?

Even if you agree with all that stuff, do you actually want to see that in comics?

Marvel and DC are retarded because they think changing the character from male to female will magically make girls interested even though everything else is still the same. Meanwhile magical girl manga is selling to girls like hot cakes.

>manga is just graphic novels with the pages in the wrong order
Now tell me the color of the sky.

I can't. Manga is in black and white.

If Manga are just graphic novels, why are there two sections for them?

It's just funny to notice there was so much overflow into the next section you schizo

What part of "impulse buyers" don't you get?
The irony is, despite being capitalist, most don't treat customers like livestock to be farmed and manipulated.

Oh, Berserk is a best seller? I wonder why? Kentaro couldn't write an ending. That's just quantity over quality. 30+ years, 40+ volumes. Berserk went nowhere. That is cruel.

It's like how Japan makes Gotcha games to exploit "white whales". Of course Japan's island fisherman philosophies, rooted in resource anxiety, is going to lead to different business practices than self sufficient mainlanders who don't need your money, or you, or your validation.
Like, here you are pretending "sales" is some kind of scoreboard. But I bet you can't explain why it matters.

Another Wikipedia weeb who doesn't check actual annual posted revenue. Japaneae media makes roughly 90 billion
a year whereas Hollywood alone is over 100 million and that's not including europe

>Another leftist retard who doesn't know what capitalism is

Many such cases

I always thought that the right was crazy, but everything they predicted involving cultural stuff like LGBT and media has been coming true. I just wanted to watch cartoons and read comics and ignore real life.

>Oh, Berserk is a best seller? I wonder why? Kentaro couldn't write an ending.
So you're saying people are only into manga as long as the story keeps going? Then why do sales decrease for manga at all? Why does the concept of the "magazine axe" even exist if manga is such a sunk cost

>Berserk went nowhere.
How are we defining nowhere?

>Like, here you are pretending "sales" is some kind of scoreboard. But I bet you can't explain why it matters.
Well I'd imagine considering that webm of Barnes and Noble posted earlier, it decides whether anybody wants to carry your product in the first place. Also sales are a scoreboard. If it wasn't, Marvel vs. DC wouldn't exist in the first place

There was a storytime recently and I have to begrudgingly say they are I might get a set for my niece

>overflow into the next section
That's a funny way of saying, "Even the people in-store can't tell any difference beyond the superficial." If it is "overflow," that just proves two bombs were unironically not enough.

They can't appeal to old comic fans forever because they're going to die eventually. They need to hook SOMETHING and the twitter social justice pronouns in bio crowd seems to be what they've decided to hitch their wagon to.

>Illiterates make up their own interpretation instead of attempting to understand.
Nobody cares about invalids to correct (you)

>That's a funny way of saying, "Even the people in-store can't tell any difference beyond the superficial."
Or that alphabetically, they reached the end of the section and at the bottom of that image is the start of the Graphic Novels section so they just put the Graphic Novels sign there?

Manga is a well supported industry in Japan, there is always going to be more fresh blood that are willing to contribute to the industry to the whole whether they be new artists or publishing companies.

Comics in the west have languished because it's been the same old faggots running the show and the lack of actual good talent (i.e non-faggots) or even any new talent at all has ruined it's prospects since the fucking 80s.

>That's just quantity over quality. 30+ years, 40+ volumes. Berserk went nowhere. That is cruel.
and meanwhile Spider-Man is stuck in an endless repetitve filler with no development ever since he was a teenager, fighting the same villains, repeating the same dramas and reusing the same plots, nevermind the fact most of it's writers were literal whos

Manga is winning because it's more fun, american comics can't claim superior quality or creativity at all

Hellboy has the same problems the big two have. It's spread over several different series.
>Oh are you done with the hellboy volumes? Now read BPRD
>BP wha
>And Abe Sapien, and Lobster Johnson, and this one shot, and this holiday special

>superheroes endings

Riiiight.

the trick is
>not naming your franchise after one single character
>expanding different parts of the universe and characters that don't need each other

You consider capitalism exploitation so you're already wrong off the bat but typical of a leftist, you don't want to be corrected

Dark Horse Berserk is at least a high quality way of reading it. It's sad how whenever I tried to support a manga in the past by buying the official release it's almost always worse than the unofficial fan translations.

I have some old copies of FMA from Viz Media lying around, and they have typos, speech bubbles left half blank, and even entirely change the name of certain countries in-between volumes.

Attached: marcille_dm.png (249x274, 61.45K)

Had to have been somewhere around when Yea Forums was made since weeb culture is what made it popular before all the meme stuff.

Attached: zack the hack.png (1118x740, 150.62K)

I'd love a western comic in the vein of Berserk but modern comic fans would probably find it too edgy.

This is the problem with a lot of indie comics; people will parade it as being really interesting, artistic, or poignant and you get it and its just a boring or uninteresting lump.

Weebs have the most adorable ways of coping.
>oh, you think it's shit?
>haha, 2deep4u!