Why did The Cuphead Show fail?

Why did The Cuphead Show fail?

Attached: CF707E65-79CE-4676-88E3-6964B49E6FAA.png (896x698, 635.83K)

Netflix.

Because it was a stupid idea from the start.

>main draw is that it's a love letter to classic cartoons that was drawn by hand on paper
>ignore it
Netflix's producers need to stop fucking ignoring the integral aspects of the IPs they keep buying.
It's blatant at this point, right? They've seen how all of their adaptations are fucking mediocre at best and how they're getting their shit pushed in by the competition.

Uhh have any video game animated adaptations matched or exceeded the source material? They always seem to either misinterpret the characterizations, botch the worldbuilding, or otherwise warp the tone.

The animation’s great but the stories are dull.

>Thing looking like a cartoon is literally the only it has going for it
>"Holy shit make it a cartoon!!'
The idea wasn't very smart from the start.

No cigars, alchohol or gambling coz muh children

Attached: 2Q==.jpg (298x169, 10.3K)

Made it a kid friendly preschool safe show while the game was most obviously made for a older audience in mind

Arguably Earthworm Jim

>Game meant to emulate the look of Golden Age animation as much as possible, target demographic is Millennials and older who would remember that kind of animation on TV
>Make it look like a modern cartoon for Gen Z that sort of kind of is set in the 20s-30s
Gee I wonder

Attached: Arcane-cover.jpg (680x1000, 152.4K)

Attached: jinx-arcane-762x.jpg (762x450, 30.05K)

Okay, I guess I should have clarified I was thinking of GOOD video games.

This is the definition of moving the goalposts.

Earthworm Jim is a good video game.

Cuphead is a shallow boss rush, why did they think it translates well into a show? It has no substance, just le quirky old timey over-animation.

You may not like it, but League of Legends not only redfined an entire genre of gaming, but the entire competitive gaming scene, clung on through falling player numbers for an absurdly long time, and rebounded stronger than ever with multiple new spinoff games and a hit series.

If you want to call it that, sure. I was thinking of stuff like Castlevania, Mario, Mega Man.

It's a pretty looking game but a mediocre sidescroller.

popular =/= good, and it did nothing to innovate the ASSFAGGOTS genre.

>Its such a bad gaaaaame
How many hours you got? I prepared to BTFO you by either saying you haven't played enough to make the call or asking why you spent so many hours on it if its so bad.

>I prepared to BTFO you by either saying you haven't played enough to make the call or asking why you spent so many hours on it if its so bad.
i say this when I meet ex-smokers

It didn't. I liked it.

Millenials aren't people born in the 20s or 30s though...

>pretty much just takes character from the game and does it's own lore
Shouldn't even count

They still aired golden age animation at regular programming hours across multiple stations up until about 2003, user

>Uhh have any video game animated adaptations matched or exceeded the source material?
Dragon Quest's anime is pretty damn good
.hack had a few series but I honestly don't know much about the games or the anime. I just like Yuki Kaiura's music
The Megaman NT series was enjoyable
Medabots
The World Ends With You I guess?

If you want Cartoons specifically, the first season of Wakfu was amazing. Super Mario Super Show / LoZ I guess? I haven't seen them in a looong time

>popular =/= good
Innovative =/= good either.
You don't have to break ground with every single release to produce quality.

Netflix didn’t make this.

Where are you getting the idea it was a failure? One random online reviewer who was disappointed by the show does not represent how The Cuphead Show! was received overall. Spamming that same article on Yea Forums won't change that.

People watched it, people had fun with it; but like with all Netflix cartoons, it quickly stopped getting talked about after a mere week or so since the binge release model kills almost any chance of ongoing discussion during hiatuses. The Cuphead Show! is an adaptation; it does not need to be a 1:1 copy of the game, so some of the creative liberties taken aren't inherently such a bad thing so long as the show is still entertaining. These first 12 episodes were kinda funny and visually stunning. The setting and supporting cast feel a little empty and barren so far, but the show has otherwise been a blast. Most people can't wait to see the next batch. Yea Forums is just really uppity, so you couldn't resist building some false narrative to attract a bunch of chronically bitter anons to yammer on about nothing. Congratulations.

Attached: striptease.png (1920x1080, 2.02M)

American companies like to hire directors that have never experience with the original franchises.

Maybe they shouldn't base a show off a game so hard that nobody can get past the tutorial.

>let's take a Yea Forums property and make a children's cartoon out of it
>wait what do you mean only teenagers and childless young adults care about cuphead?!
or what said. I really hate the ">kid of is set in the 20s-30s" because christ I had millennial friends say "Yeah it's probably shit because stuff from back then was shit too" and these friends haven't seen a single Popeye or how it still holds up today. What happened to script writing and humour?
You can't butcher the source material if it's literally just toy cars with no lore!
Do people actually like this or is it just edgy teenagers?
>oney and the gang almost broke up because it was so hard

Attached: hotwheels.jpg (1000x1500, 278.17K)

It didn't adapt the game into a show format. It was just a generic slapstick cartoon with the Cuphead coat of paint while lacking a lot of the energy old cartoons had.

because you touch yourself

Where the fuck are my Warcraft and Super Mario Bros. cartoons, you fucks?!

Attached: Warcraft.png (1024x1024, 1.29M)

Is a modern cartoon with a coat of old timey paint on instead of a old limey cartoon.

That ship sailed a long time ago. Blizz can't do anything right. They had another chance with Overwatch and they've still done nothing

>Super Mario Bros. cartoons
In the 90s

bad writing. Simple as. The show's episode are so unbelievably dull.

does this show ever not take place in the dark

Only watched a few episodes but it seemed to have way different vibes from the game. Too kid-friendly? Too friendly in general? I dunno. I think they would have been better if they really did go all-in on the "old cartoon" schtick and make em' shorter, weirder, and more reliant on wacky cartoon visual humor.

Flavor of the week game

People believed that the Cuphead show was gonna be something akin to the Fleischer cartoons and all you get is Spongebob antics with references harking back to the Fleischer's without really committing to the setting completely

Visually it looks great and the show isn't that bad like some anons are making it out to be but it's not what it should have been
That's probably why the Ghost episode is well liked, it's the closet to what anyone wanted

>Super Mario Bros. cartoons,
Back in the 90's
DO THE MARIO!!

>The World Ends With You I guess?
No, just no

Did they butcher that adaptation?
I only vaguely remembered the game. Pins and music, pins and music everywhere.

Ms chalice wasn’t hot enough

Thread it reminder the ONLY reason OP and other fags ITT have a hate boner for it before it even came out is because one obese dyke hair did some storyboards for the show along dozens of others.
Since then they’ve been looking for any minuscule reason to hate the show, when in reality this is the only reason they hate it so much

It did?
Just because one jewrnalist didn’t like it, that doesn’t mean it was a failure

Imagine if they'd pumped those Green Eggs and Ham millions into Cuphead. Damn bro.

Attached: p17423272_b_v9_aa.jpg (1080x1440, 224.23K)

Viewtiful Joe.
FE OVA.
SFII Victory.
Arguably Digimon.

you don't have to defend multi million dollar companies you know.

Not that user but I saw the first episode and never felt like coming back
>rushed to hell so you'd probably feel lost if you weren't already familiar with the game
>artstyle was good but the animation was lacking, not even fight scenes looked good
But that was a single episode, mayb after finishing the second game I'll go back to it

The Gungrave anime as long as you skip the first episode

Did it fail, or are critics just saying it was a failure?

In my experience there's a big difference between these two things. There have been a lot of shows, movies, ect that have been well received by their audiences and have been financially successful (if only moderately) that were panned by critics.

It was a massive hit for Netflix. Was number 5 on trending on the entire website for a week. No other animated show on the whole website, the biggest streaming site, has done that. Didn’t fail, you cherry picked an article written by an autistic person.

I hate to say it, but I kind of agree. Ms. Chalice was more cute than hot, leaving The Cuphead Show! with pretty weak waifubait.

Attached: Shakeh-Haghnazarian-Chris-Hacker.jpg (1074x672, 122.58K)

>oney and the gang almost broke up because it was so hard
Funniest episode they ever did done

user... you do realize netflix manipulates these top 10s to push shitty movies and shows no one is watching, right? It's their website...

>visual feast
It doesn't even look good

She's almost sexy.