Is their a proper way to design non-binary characters?

Is their a proper way to design non-binary characters?

Attached: 9wfk7h3l2q551.png (640x427, 243.74K)

Non-binary is pretty stupid, to be honest.

I see it's ESL Yea Forums hours.
Define non-binary and then you can define a non-binary character.
Your image's chosen characters are either poorly drawn (Undertale), have an incredibly restrictive art style (Bug Souls or whatever it's called) or are trying to drawn men like they're women (i.e. not non-binary).

This is also a question for /ic/, not because they'll give an honest answer nor because it's a drawing question but because they'll give you the respect you deserve.

Yeah it's pretty much going emo for zoomers. No point in getting worked up about a bunch of kids being dumb, that's just a part of life

The proper way is to not do it at all

We never saw a push for emo bathrooms

There's no such thing as being non-binary, you're just mentally ill.

Artist here, I'm 30 and don't know and don't care what non-binary means. Sounds like some extra-gay bullshit.

Why should I, as a non-American, care about non-binary representation? I have never met a non-binary person in my life and am unlikely to.

post your work :^)

>The Knight
>nb

Attached: bored_dog.gif (300x300, 957K)

Who asked for your opinion?

the knight is male, he has sharp horns unlike hornet

>Hollow Knight guy
>literal children
>non-binary
They're genderless. Not "non-binary" or whatever. The very meaning of non-binary is to not be male or female, but it's still a gender.

Gems seem like a shit comparison, since they don't have genes or genetials, and the retarded crewmembers have been calling them robots or some shit online. So they don't even have gender, and even if they did, they literally all present as female with no variation.

hahahaha imagine segregation for emo's

I'm not sure if I believe in this whole "non-binary" stuff. I'll just stick with boys and girls.

Non-binary is just another thing crazy made up to validate their insanity rather than getting real help and over coming their issues to get on with their lives in a actually healthy way.

Generally drawing someone "androgynous" is probably your best bet. The Deltarune kid is a good example. It isn't set in stone, though. Most NB people I've met just kinda do and wear whatever they want, just like the rest of us.

>Undertale and Deltarune
>Kid's stuff
Also why the possessive, is this a single kid out there that I should be aware of?

These people are so fucking entitled and ungrateful. This image really makes it seem that if a character isn't a blue-haired human that takes 90% of the screentime, then it isn't valid representation. Like yeah a show that centers around nonhuman characters shouldn't have a nonhuman character be NB, that's not good enough!!!!!

The thing is, real non-binary people always are obviously male or female looking regardless. The human brain can just tell what something is especially post puberty. No matter how they dress or act, I know what they were born as just at a glance. But non-binaries in art are always drawn like they’re separate creatures that straddle the line by nature, and unless they are literally a genderless alien, the human designs always cheat by ignoring the reality that you have to either design a male or female body as a base. Because non-binary is only a state of mind, not physical being.

Hollow Knight has a cute dick and Kris is literally two niggas (male)

The undertale kid looks just like a genetic boy, he's something else in the game? I never played.

The gems are obviously female by desing.

Hollow Knight is a male, deal with it traniggors

I don't understand the gender burger culture, why is a thing?

NB basically means in media "how androgynous can we make a character look" and this means having stuff that is basically just taking aspects of stereotyping from both so they don't fit into a box

They/Them.

Attached: FOUFVn7XwAsWd8H.jpg (722x543, 63.65K)

>nonbinary character in animation
>just a girl who looks like a dude but still sounds like a girl or vice versa

Attached: 3213213213.gif (320x287, 982.3K)

The game itself repeatedly hammers home the point that Hornet’s the only one with a gender, they outright call her the Gendered Child, while all the other vessels are blobs devoid of that sense of self, didn’t you play the game?

frisk and pals aren't really explicit nonbinary rep and more pragmatically blank to serve the narrative's purpose of calling attention to the player's tendency to self insert, like I could be wrong but I just heavily doubt that when Frisk was conceived the thought was "oh it'd be cool to have an NB character" and not "i'll make them ambiguous to pull a prank on the player"

No mind to think.
No will to break.
No voice to cry suffering.
No dick.

The proper way to make a non-binary character is probably to never call attention to it. I’ve discovered tons of people online who do that while also appearing extremely feminine and even being biologically female as well. It could honestly be fine to only explicitly mention it in interviews and just have the characters use gender neutral pronouns in the show itself. Having to justify non-binary rep only leads to further issues, it’s probably safer to just outright throw it out there but never making a massive press release about it.

Sure, but people will generally be more accepting of the character if it leans more to the feminine side.

Attached: 1624803879341.png (1280x1565, 452.23K)

DO: Make designs that legitimately look like they could go either way, ideally make sure they would look right in either men's or women's clothing. If any one element takes the design too far in the male or female direction, you didn't do it right. Nonhuman characters are even easier since they don't need human cues to go by. Simple stuff.
DON'T DO: Whatever the hell steven universe thought it was doing

Attached: 870.png (318x233, 111.03K)

Yeah. A pretty “boy” who’s mysterious but occasionally wheres girly clothes and let’s their hair down. Everyone is confused about them being a guy or girl and then there’s a big reveal where they take their shirt off and they have chest scars from having top surgery

Stick figures?

Just like Houseki no Kuni proved.

Attached: 393A3B4F-7947-4DE1-9983-B31E567FA90A.png (1366x768, 954.88K)

>Frisk is androgynous so players can relate regardless of their gender
>the fanbase automatically calls him non-binary
Fuck the undertale fanbase, they ruined such a good game.

Sex and Gender are two different things. A character can be sexless but still have a gender, like all the Orks in 40k are male even though they reproduce through spores and the Gems are female even though they are goddamn rocks. Gender ideologues only conflate them when they want to call popular characters non-binary or don't understand their own concept

Attached: tumblr_3f324cd567b7a2e0f5821b3665d71b86_33a3b119_1280.png (1280x768, 220.01K)

>Frisk is androgynous so players can relate regardless of their gender
>They do.
>No not like that!

>so players can relate regardless of their gender
I feel like this one skipped a beat when he let you flirt with the mother goat as people who like tits are overwhelmingly male.

The majority of us don't understand it either. But our mental healthcare system is fucked so nobody's delusions are ever treated.

You can flirt with Papyrus too.

This tbqhfam

To be fair, most gems don't present themselves as androgynous and, for the great majority of the time (name exceptions like Antarc, Padparadscha, NuGhose...), only really seem to exhibit femenine traits and mannerisms. They are virtually no different from an actual female character, but in this case the gems are stablished as a sexless species. It's partly why I find it disingenous how certain people insist on referring to them using neutral pronouns or beholding them as non-binary when the fucking Lunarians actively treat them as women.

Why are Americans like this?

Steven Universe has alot of hiatuses

Every non-binary person added to a cartoon will always be met with eye-rolls and sighs because of how forced it always feels.
Even people who say they want NB won't prop the character up for long.
The only way to properly represent a non-binary is to just not reveal a character's gender.

Attached: this is a boy btw.gif (476x268, 1.65M)

Chara is a girl

So is Frisk.

>non-binary
I think those are called gay people dude. At least they look pretty gay to me man.

>The only way to properly represent a non-binary is to just not reveal a character's gender.
I sort of agree but that introduces a lot of shit-flinging between the those who think the character is male and those who think the character is female. Not to mention it really seems like nips are the only ones with enough self control to actually never reveal the character's sex e.g. Nanachi and Chrona.

I love dogs

>Not to mention it really seems like nips are the only ones with enough self control to actually never reveal the character's sex e.g. Nanachi and Chrona.

I hear the English dub had two lines in the season one finale: "She wants me to kill her friend." said by Reg pondering that he had to kill Mitty for Nanachi and then "What smooch is she talking about?" which was said by Riko telling Reg about Nanachi teasing him in the oasis, and yes they used female pronouns for them.

So it's safe to say that Nanachi might be a female-passing nonbinary Hollow.

>Yeah it's pretty much going emo for zoomers.
no, because adults weren't grooming kids to be "emos" through public taxpayer funded institutions

Give them all the hats.

Attached: FPr7dpqWYAU5chC.jpg (874x1399, 129.26K)

We're a late stage empire going the way of Rome

Well, there's these two. Technically, they're only "male" and "female" from the shoulders up.

Attached: Zakandwheeize.jpg (400x471, 37.35K)

erased yet again

Attached: robotjones.png (180x303, 52.39K)

Ok dogfaggot

First cartoon about non binary people?

Attached: images (1).jpg (480x360, 18.12K)

I've never known of a non-binary person who wasn't a woman trying to get men to leave them alone, or a man trying to get women to see them as non-threatening and approachable.

looks like a boy but is a girl/looks like a girl but is a boy seems to be the general design sterotype. Just go the undertale/deltarune root and draw a character with long hair but try and make their gender look as non-obvious as possible.

It's mostly women with no discernible personality traits to speak of insisting on being trannies to seem special, mixed with autistic male coomers who want to be anime lolis and autistic female coomers who want to be yaoi boys

>Is their a proper way to design non-binary characters?
Don't.