We want the manga audience

>we want the manga audience
At this point why don't comics save money and sell in black and white?

Attached: Screenshot_20220406-091654.jpg (720x734, 453.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.li/Comic/The-Ogre-Gods/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>we want the manga audience
What makes them think the manga audience wants them? Why would fans of manga want to read a shitty imitation of the real thing?

>sell in black and white
Fuck yes, every day of the week.

Attached: 1462499239151.jpg (1440x2213, 847.89K)

Colors are for children.

Attached: 1646245317546.jpg (806x1250, 938.44K)

It can work if they just hand the IP over to a Japanese artist and writer, like with Deadpool Samurai. It'll fall apart as soon as they start rotating writers/artist and force events and crossovers.

Attached: EqDwcnEXUAcHyJ8.jpg (823x1200, 242.41K)

I've been thinking a major reason people won't buy comics but will buy manga is because manga comes in these fat volumes that cost barely any more to buy, probably less to produce, and have the equivalent of like ten issues of a comic in them. Western comics are really inaccessible compared to manga

That and it's easier to get into. Just pick a series and start at one. It's also easier to pirate (almost all manga I bought as a teen was for stuff I'd already read).

So, who is this thing in future state Gotham?

Attached: Screenshot_20220406-09160.jpg (245x634, 137.3K)

I would love that

I do not understand this meme of "it looks better in black and white".

It's not true at least

Attached: Araki.png (560x800, 748.46K)

>capeshit and (((Yea Forums))) opinions

Attached: 1646251215809.jpg (1248x1600, 549.13K)

I remember in the mid-to-late 90s, B&W comics accounted for maybe 30% of Image's output. Pretty sure none of those comics have been in print since maybe 2005 at the latest.

It’s because black and white has been the standard for so long that they have no idea how to color their work

Colours can be used to hide shitty lines
I know that's not really an answer, but its probably part of one. If you're doing it in black and white, your skill is laid bare.

I would buy them if they were as cheap as manga. Plus no ugly coloring job.

>volume 4 never ever

Most modern colorists are absolute garbage who just vomit photoshop all over a page and have zero understanding of value or tone. Especially these days you either have a muddy gray blob on a page, or a technicolor seizure-inducing secondary color nightmare.

Attached: 9bcea52307a92461e27b1724f0903a13.jpg (1280x1720, 256.53K)

it unironically looks better

What's this?
I like it

Petit

Exactly. I don't buy manga 1 chapter at a time. Same reason why I buy TPBs. Woudl it work if DC/Marvel did something like Shonen Jump and put a bunch of comic issues of different series in a magazine?

Only TAS Harley Quinn is best design.

Attached: EEM2_3wX4AE31q7.jpg (577x750, 43.39K)

But many capeshit comics action scene are crap.

Didn't Detective Comics and Action Comics had that role until they became regular Batman and Superman comics?

>It'll fall apart as soon as they start rotating writers/artist and force events and crossovers.

This. The art has never been why comics suck. Its the content being a slave to the business model that does them in every time.

Except Deadpool Samurai is fucking dogshit lmao

Now this is totally tubalar!

Good thing Shueisha and Kodansha don't pressure writers into keeping pumping content weekly until they die of exaustion, right?

Right?

isn't that the main character from Mother Panic young animal book?

>that time she defeated Ultron
Avengers could learn a thing or two.

Looks like it, but that was way back then.

It's ok. It's the mangaka's assistants who will die from exaustion.

readcomiconline.li/Comic/The-Ogre-Gods/

Attached: OG%20BOX%20SET_large.jpg (640x640, 93.42K)

Thanks

Agreed.
Its asinine buying a comic thats the same price as a gallon of milk. A kid with 5 freedom dollars needs to be able to buy a comic and snacks.

Its ridiculous seeing overpirced comics since it used to be the comman poor mans choice of media.

Attached: spiderr.jpg (2000x1334, 1000.61K)

It's still super funny to me that Araki, of all the westaboos, doesn't actually understand a single western language

The amrican infrastructure for selling comics is also shit.
Wheres the bloody newsnstands at the super market? One section for your boomer cooking magazines and every checkout is filled with tabloids!
You have to go out of your damn way to get a comic book selection at your local comic shop. This is why theres digital releases, but who buys those? Besides, if you go to your comic shop, the kids are buying manga.

Attached: 108847874_29ea5b3424_b.jpg (1024x768, 231.24K)

yeah a lot of famous westaboos like Araki or Kojima still struggle with english but some very niche indie rpg maker game developer knows english better than both of them

In a nutshell, higher contrast, aesthetically pleasing, can hide line work as user said and it allows you to be a lot rougher and bold in terms of how clean you want your lines to be. Some people really like that look, so it's just personal preference mostly.

Think how a messy rough sketch will often at times look better and more alive than a finished cleaned up image. It's like that.

Colorist often fuck up the mood.

>Wheres the bloody newsnstands at the super market? One section for your boomer cooking magazines and every checkout is filled with tabloids!
Why do people keep quoting this like the newsstand market is some kind of untapped goldmine?

How can you not see selling a 99cent 24 page comic at the checkout of a grocery store like those damn tabloids, or at a gas station where a lot of kids go in for snacks while their parents fuel up?

The actual place to put them is the pulse buy at grocery stores, but the point is that you CANNOT sell your product to a consumer base that doesn't know you exist, or cannot reach you. If you want to sell comics to children, you need your comics to be where the children are. Expecting kids, who cannot drive, to come to your basement-shop in downtown is absurd.

If you are selling to adults as your primary audience for comics you have already lost, because you are locking yourselves into a dwindling nice culture. Which is exactly what happened.

It also sucks that most colorists tent to add a second light source to drawings with thier proper light sources already indicated. I think I remember David Finch slightly complaining about it during a stream but he obviously didn't want to name names.

Silly boomer comics aren't for children, they are for incel manbabbies, radical feminists and MtF trannies

Basically modern comics don’t get the per-unit cost break that come from being popular and selling a lot of copies so the difference in cost between color and bw (or coated and “cheap” paper) is actually so small it doesn’t matter

You're forgetting that you can also fire the colourist. You save on staff costs, printing and paper.

It probably won't make much difference. As you say, the price is so high because unit sales are low.

That's how it works in some countries. Here in France you have trades but also magazines collecting a bunch of different floppies.

Japan still tries to keep the prices down.

640 pages for $15.30, that's 41.83 pages for a dollar.

Attached: Untitled-2.jpg (1155x993, 591.53K)

Let's convert that according to page size for honesty's sake. It remains a better deal than comic books, but still.

Attached: 1649270653847.jpg (750x797, 131.46K)

Cant argue with that math.
>i could have bought us milk for the week, but instead i gave my kid 5 dollars for 24 pages of gay sex.

I live in the present, where most kids are just staring at their phones.

US doesn't have the same culture as Japan in terms of consumable literature, nobody is gonna buy a tome of manga to read on the subway or at the office or during school breaks. The fact that Manga sales just in Japan alone dwarfs the US is a sign.

You are right in that the real future for comics to survive in the west is to make digital distribution work somehow. If kids can read Spiderman on their phones and tablets, thats how you win. Nobody but collectors with totally unrealistic expectations on their returns cares about floppies.

Where’s this from?

Shonen Jump makes it free to read current chapters and charges a subscription rate to backread.

It's pretty lame to get a MU/DCInfinite Subscription and still have to deal with being 3-6 months behind. What books you are reading have probably already stopped being relevant.

The fact that what Marvel got from Webtoon's audience is that Vertical Scrolling is how they're gonna capture this fad reeks of goddamn stupidity.

The Shonen Jump Service and Webtoon are good because you can theoretically read everything for free but it charges extra for the convenience (Really only relevant for Completed Series which get locked behind a paywall/daily timer). Making it that much more easier to recommend.

that's the exact reason why i would buy manga instead of comics as a kid. i had limited money and i had to choose between a 6 issue trade that cost $16 or a 200 page manga volume that cost $10. not exactly a hard decision.

Future state Gotham it's a Jason, Foxx Batman and Harley book.

lmao. this is always the go to cope for you faggots.

How many more of these threads do we need to satisfy you, weebs?

Until everyone stops reading Watchmen to start reading My Hero Academia, will you keep spamming this?

Archie was the only publisher smart enough to stay in grocery stores.

I mean, "Mangakas literally drop dead from overwork every other week" seems to be a fairly good argument against the superiority of the manga model.

Would you disagree? Do you think that overworking until you die young in order for a company to become richer is what the west needs to do?

>I live in the present, where most kids are just staring at their phones.
meanwhile scholastic and manga are booming. but no, keep making excuses for the comic industry as it's base dies off and they have nobody around to replace it.

It depends on the artstyle there are a lot that just look bad without colors.

I know other platforms do this, so I am assuming that Shonen Jump likewise does the thing where the free issues are the last couple, but also the first 3-5 chapters so you can go back and juuuust start to get invested in reading the story from the beginning before you hit the paywall. Which is a good model, because it lets people try before they buy on whether they even want to read this story.

It is pretty damning that this is something that cannot work for western comics: where the fuck is the beginning? Are you really going to kick people that want to start reading Superman back to 1937? Because thats obviously not what they are using your app to read.

>I mean, "Mangakas literally drop dead from overwork every other week" seems to be a fairly good argument
except it isn't a real argument. you fags can only make it seem valid by blowing it out of proportion like you're doing in this very post.
>millions of mangaka die every hour from over work that's why american artists being unable to pencil 16 pages a month isn't bad, it's healthy
american comic creators especially are just fucking lazy and don't want to put in any work. they spend more time throwing tantrums on twitter than they do actually drawing pages.