Sports Cartoons?

So, serious question, but why aren't there sports-specific cartoons in Western animation? Like, Japan has stuff like Eyeshield 21, Ping Pong The Animation, Free!, Inazuma 11, etc. But I've never seen, say a French CGI production of a football/soccer team's trials and tribulations, or an Austin-based studio animate webseries about a Grifball tournament, or some random cheap-ass Canadian flash studio do something about ice hockey. The closest things I can remember are Gemusetto Macchu Picchu which was a parody, and a bunch of CGI fantasy/sci-fi racing cartoons like Hot Wheels, Dragon Racer, and that new Star Wars cartoon that's about starfighter racing. What gives? Sure, racing gives you a really easy way to generate excitement but is there really no studio exec who thinks kids would like a cartoon about actual sports matches in real sports? And I'm not talking Harlem Globetrotters-type affectionate parody, but actual trial-and-tribulation stories about kids/young athletes growing/developing/failing over the course of a season or two. You'd think at the least the NFL and NBA would want to sponsor something, or even the MLB considering how afraid they are of losing audiences because of muh foul balls.

Attached: capture.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CNwNlOGiLdE
youtube.com/watch?v=uxXIcj6AxXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=56ofjCI7QmA
youtube.com/watch?v=9kSZ8Uihz0w
youtube.com/watch?v=px5njG8ikvo
youtube.com/watch?v=cRYGSk5YgHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because sports are a real thing you can just watch and/or play. There's not much reason to make a show about it.

I think nicktoons had some football shit I dunno.

This didn't format right and I'm sorry.

But there are classic stories that can be told in sports, and they're clearly popular. It just seems like compared to very other genre its a very big hole in the Western canon.

I don't think Hot Wheels was a cartoon was it? Weren't they movies or something?

There was at least 1 movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=CNwNlOGiLdE

Inazuma Eleven is pretty damn popular, and Japan is nowhere near as into football not soccer fuck you as the west

Just make it sports but with superpowers like Inazuma eleven

WE'RE THE HURRICANES

Call it what it is

Divegrass

Attached: 1561480555677.jpg (640x360, 42K)

It's soccer.

But like, that brings up a big point: Why hasn't a French or Belgian studio gotten in on this? Or even done an anime collab with Japan ala Oban Star-Racers? Which, also again, is ANOTHER FUCKING RACE SHOW.

Like what the hell?

Because americans are fat slobs

Attached: 1531568741451.gif (260x291, 2.6M)

It's just not a very popular topic. Especially since most cartoons these days try to be relatable to awkward nerdy kids.
youtube.com/watch?v=uxXIcj6AxXQ

I like working out and sports in general but I don't give a shit about watching matches or fiction about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=56ofjCI7QmA
youtube.com/watch?v=9kSZ8Uihz0w
youtube.com/watch?v=px5njG8ikvo

Not saying they're common, but to say they don't exist is kinda dumb

There is no precedence for it in American media. Sports stories only exist in film. In the 30s there was an extremely boxing comic called Joe Palooka that inspired other boxing comics. But that is the only time it has ever been prominent in Yea Forums media. Nowadays though western fujos are getting into sports manga, not the good ones of course but the shitty fujobait ones like Diamond no Ace, Kuroko no Basket, Haikyu, etc. So we will slowly see the genre introduced to western media but distorted for fujos.

extremely popular*

Why do Americans hate sports?

you must be retarded to think that user

Canada had this

Attached: d_myna_leagues.jpg (293x220, 23K)

BOUFBOWL

Hot Wheels Battle Force 5
the Hanna Barbera Hot Wheels series from the 1960's (was that related to Hot Wheels?)

NFL Rush Zone

They exist, though they don't catch on nearly as much as most types of action shows. There's some good sports stories to be told for sure, but I don't know how much of a kid's audience there is for it these days.

France did a few, though they weren't really anything special.

Attached: 1460964857655.webm (1920x1080, 1.39M)

>that cgi

Well, there’s this:
youtube.com/watch?v=cRYGSk5YgHc

Attached: DAC3B4F6-48AC-4E71-9021-D2827BE26563.jpg (838x1187, 296K)

ball
masterz

I know CGI was mentioned in OP, as examples, but didn't get the impression it was a requirement.

Is there a reason you want a focus on CGI for certain shows?

I'm not OP. The CGI is just ugly and unnecessary.

also rocket power, op really beefed it by forgetting it

I can't imagine there'd be an audience for that. The people who watch cartoons don't like sports, and the people who like sports would never watch cartoons.

Kids, the actual audience, would watch it.

Idk, I thought Haikyu was pretty good. And Kuroko was funny as hell during actual gameplay, watching shounen rules be applied to middle school Basketball. I appreciated the absurd hilarity.

What elements are lacking in sports shows that make kids not bother with them? How do you make them more appealing?

Attached: foot2rue864268339.gif (640x352, 1.8M)

I remember this. I never bother with it because it looked like shit compared to Captain Tsubasa.

Do you feel like a kid might be less inclined to check out a sports cartoon if he doesn't already have some familiarity with the sport? Like if he's a soccer kid he'll check out a soccer cartoon, but ignore a baseball one?

Serious stakes? Adventures? Powers?

I assume that's what kids these days want.
Are kids into pro-wrestling? I know it's been done, but you could probably go nuts with that.

yes

>How do you make them more appealing?
>Do you feel like a kid might be less inclined to check out a sports cartoon if he doesn't already have some familiarity with the sport?
I think the answer is cute tomboy waifus.
The west needs more cute tomboys anyway.