Spiderman

I am completely new to reading comic books and wanted to start with Spiderman. Where should I begin? Should I just read 1963 Amazing Spider-Man? Or Ultimate Spider-Man? I honestly have no clue where to begin.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (1280x1958, 549K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cbr.com/50-greatest-spider-man-stories-master-list/.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

IMO start at the very beginning of the original run. Spider-Man is at it's core a procedural, and the first run is awesome at sucking you into Peter's world.

Ok so start at 1963 Amazing Spider-Man, but how far should I go?

Start at the Stan Lee/Ditko stuff and go from there. The first twenty issues introduce pretty much all of the classic Spidey villains and the Ditko art is great.

If you're totally new to comics, I'd say give them a try, if you can get on with the Silver Age Spidey, you'll be able to enjoy early FF, early X-Men, Batman, Flash, Daredevil etc. I always think that people who start with modern comics struggle to appreciate some of the charm and ingenuity in the classics, whereas if you can get on with the old stuff you'll have no problem with 20 pages of almost nothing happening when you start reading the 00s and 10s.

If you do find it too old-fashioned, then I'd say skip to the eighties and read the black suit saga and go from there. You can always go back and read classic runs if you want to - don't forget that nearly everyone who ever read Spidey started in the middle. For years, Marvel comics were written with the idea that any issue could be someone's first - which is why you'll find a lot of exposition and repetition in the early stuff - so you can pretty much jump on anywhere.

Here's a list of CBR's best ever Spidey runs, as voted by fans - cbr.com/50-greatest-spider-man-stories-master-list/.

Hope that helps!

Attached: tumblr_p8eyeg6b1D1ridgmwo1_1280.jpg (700x642, 91K)

I don't like the way they talk in old stuff.
It's like a soap opera.

It's pretty much all good up until the 90's and the clone saga. You can skip bits and pieces though if you get bored, that's what's great about comics. After the 90s it's a bit more patchy. JMS's run is considered one of the best though.

You might think "i saw Spider-Man 3, Venom can't have been that shitty in the comics", so you read all the Spidey-Venom stories. In the third one, he beats the shit out of Black Cat, so you think "who's that?" so you go back to the late-70s issues where she's introduced as a thief. She gets powers, so you go back and read the issues from the mid-60s introducing the guy who gave her the powers. Then you read Frank Miller's Daredevil, you enjoy that so you read Year One, then you're back on /co asking which Batman comics to read.

It doesn't really matter what order you read them in, there's continuity but who cares about that when writers are retconning other writers and characters are being brought back from the dead.

Attached: tumblr_p87nl7RFil1ridgmwo1_1280.jpg (979x760, 176K)

You start at the beginning and ignore everyone that tells you to start with Slott.

As a kid growing up the ultimate spider man series was fucking awesome. I read every volume and the majority are pure kino. Also has superior art style. At the end it gets really faggy because they switch the art style and kill off peter

Then read the JMS run from the late 90's.

Or read Ultimate Spider Man.

They were written in the 60's, that was the style at the time.

All Spidey comics have a dash of soap opera anyway. If you want something more real, read Daniel Clowes or Kevin Huizenga. Read Simon Hanselmann. Or don't read capeshit.

Attached: tumblr_opoczbQwlD1ridgmwo1_1280.jpg (700x340, 30K)

I tried reading other marvel comics after that but none compared to ultimate spider man. However I read moon knight which was fucking badass

Shut up and read it.

60's is fucking GARBAGE

You are garbage.

It aged like milk, stay mad old man.

It aged perfectly fine, your weak bait is not going to change that.

>shit tier art
>horrific language
>CTRL C, CTRL V plot.

I want to go back in time and kick JMS & Bendis dad's in the balls so hard that they never produce sons

>shittalking Ditko/JR SR.
>not appreciating 60's dialog
>straight up lying

Attached: 1561920602148.jpg (534x534, 69K)

I'm not denying the legacy it left behind but every aspect of it aged like your mothers powdery tit milk.

It really hasn't.

your age is showing boomer.

>boomer
Try again without using meme words.

Attached: 6ce47504042cd0af7a71826e4c564d83a539bf04_hq.jpg (1024x682, 107K)

Ultimate and The Original run will be your best place to start. After those runs you’ll have enough of a sense of the character to know where to go. Just bust off any classic arc you feel after that. Kraven last hunt, etc.

go home boomer

I can't recommend Ultimate Spider-Man enough for a beginner. That's the first run I read and I loved it

you can always start with a tranny magazine skinny boi

WEW

Attached: 1521958139795.jpg (260x194, 5K)

Recommend me some good AU stories

Attached: spider.jpg (960x720, 88K)

the one with the tarantula and the bugle hat !!

>Should I just read 1963 Amazing Spider-Man?
Ha ha ha! Oh no, it may have been "good" then, but by today standards it's pure garbage. Horrible art, narration and pacing. The only way you'd like it is if you already read it as a kid and look at it with rose colored glasses.

Thats what makes it fun, dude

Personnaly, I'm literally intrigued and in awe of old comics narration.

Started reading with the silverage storytime threads and nope, shit's kino.

Much better pacing then today's issues long slog to see Spidey beat up a bad guy.

Seconding this, ultimate is a great place to start.

Best stories:
Clone Saga
One More Day
Sins Past

They're what got me into comics, actually. The first Sandman issue got me hooked and made me want to read more.

Okay, well here's a question that's probably stupid and gonna get me some flak.
So I'm a physical media whore who hates digital and likes actually owning stuff I can keep on my shelf. What collections should I get? I mean that in the sense of; what releases or rereleases are best? I'm not really a fan of owning individual comic books and prefer collections in the style of TPBs, omnibuses, shit like that. Stuff that has a bunch comics collected into one big nice book I can read in one sitting if I want to. That's my shit.
I'm a big, big, big Spider-man fan who pretty much learned to read from the OG Steve and Stan run, I love that shit.
So given all that, what would you recommend for me? Doesn't have to be Steve and Stan or that style, I just like good comics.
No Slott.
Also, has that Amazing Spider-Man first omnibus gone back into print yet? Every time I see it on eBay or something its pricey.

Attached: D_hfp5bXoAE-W-K.jpg (1200x489, 103K)

Pic related is in print now. Go to a discount site like Cheap Graphic novels or in stock trades and you can get this which contains all of Ditko ASM for under 60$.
It’s fuck awesome.

Attached: 3DE84F5B-E0F8-44E0-823E-EF6155173AFC.jpg (3264x2448, 1.28M)

Is it okay in hardback? I usually hate hardcover comics because the art gets cut off in the spine. Also if that covers all of ditko what does vol 2 cover?

completely wrong.
starting from the OG is the best way to go for spider-man
go for the essentials I have the first three

The 60s Spider-Man is surprisingly solid and has aged reasonably well. Spider-Man comics in general were worth reading until about 1990.

The star of the romita era obviously

Who here read Superior Spider-Man?

Attached: 557f7b801b06193a772840c618062148.jpg (494x750, 75K)

Slott needs to see someone about his Doc Oc hard on. Its weird.

I'm starting this

PeterXGwen 4ever!

Attached: Spider-Gwen - Ghost-Spider 010-021.png (1988x3056, 2.44M)

Artist?

Considering buying it as well and from what I have seen and read from dedicated groups, it is solid and without issues on the spine since it being a collection of older comics, the paneling does not suffer.

With omnibus editions, you are concerned with gutter loss but it is not the case with the classic stories.