Name a bigger fake news relaunch

Name a bigger fake news relaunch

Attached: featured-image-1.png (1400x700, 1.25M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bleedingcool.com/2016/01/27/retailers-complain-about-collapsing-marvel-and-dc-sales/
cbr.com/trouble-on-the-horizon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Proved comic fans are centre left.

This launch pissed off so many readers to the point where sales were bad. At the time the only saving grace for them was that DC was doing even worse than them saleswise with DC You.

bleedingcool.com/2016/01/27/retailers-complain-about-collapsing-marvel-and-dc-sales/

>My Marvel readers are complaining about art this isn’t what they expect from a Marvel book. Cartoony art, manga-influenced art, quirky art… the concept of a house style is gone. The books that generate the most interest are books like Doctor Strange, All-New X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, and (of course) Star Wars & Darth Vader–books that mix strong stories and great art.

>For the first time in store history, yesterday’s Marvel FOCs saw us ordering single digits on more than half of the line items in the Marvel section. Now, to be fair, that includes collected editions and 2nd printings, which boosted that single-digit title count, but it still included an inordinate number of ongoing titles. As recently as five years ago, there were no Marvel Universe titles that sold in the single digits for us. Quirky concept books like Starbrand & Nightmask or Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur stumbled out of the gate for us.

>The most disturbing trend involves established readers who have sufficient disposable income that they can afford to buy what they like to read. A significant portion of these readers are trimming their title lists by 50% or more because they don’t enjoy the current output. When a dedicated DC customer who was buying EVERY New 52 title in 2011 and 2012 is now buying no DC titles, or a dedicated Avengers/Captain America/Iron Man/Thor customer has dropped all of these series, it’s troubling.

cbr.com/trouble-on-the-horizon/

>How about the new and young readership? Marvel actually was starting to attract some of them at our stores — books like “Squirrel Girl,” “Ms. Marvel” and the Jane Foster “Thor” title were racking solid sales for us outside of the “traditional” Marvel customer. But that new/younger readership? They literally don’t understand why you would start a book over again at #1. It makes no sense to them! And that confusion appears to have shooed a number of them off. In an equivalent sales period, our sales of the first issues of all of those series are actually below (dramatically so in the case of “Thor!”) the final issues of the “old series” — which was only on issue #8 for two of the three! But readers appear to be treating the relaunches as simply “issue #9.” That’s not typical consumer behavior.

What about the one after Secret Empire where it sounded like it was going to be a reboot but it was just a bunch of classic covers redone? Marvel said it was going to change everything and when leaks said it was all a lie Marvel got pissed and said that was fake and then it turned out the leaks were true.

Also another problem is that Marvel didn't do anything significant post-Secret Wars other than putting Miles and his cast in 616 and Tony Stark going back to pre-AXIS inversion. On top of that there were fans who felt Secret Wars was a good ending to stop at and drop Marvel titles. Then there were the people getting legacy hero fatigue, some of whom later blamed it on SJWs and decided to join together with the Comicsgate movement.

And then of course there was the Hydra Cap reveal (which got the non-comics reading MCU fans loud and angry) and Civil War II which underperformed relative to Secret Wars and had a bad reception as it went along. And then there was the tepid response to Marvel Now 2's announcement.

This was a time when very few were happy with Marvel.

You mean Marvel Legacy, where their big selling point was giving all the comics lenticular variants (mainly because DC was doing that at the time)?

Also from that same link:

>Marvel did something similar to DC: they took several months of production "off" on the regular titles for "Secret Wars" and a series of "SW" related miniseries. The real shocker for me was that this plan was actually working for Marvel: customers seemed deeply engaged in the entire "SW" experience... at least until "Secret Wars" started hitting unconscionable delays. "SW" sell-through then fell off the cliff, leaving many retailers with lots of unsold (and unsalable!) books -- worse in this case because while there's some hope you might shift first issues of new series, pretty much no one is going to buy issue four of a miniseries after the mini has concluded.

>Anecdotally, I can state that at my stores from mid-September essentially every "Secret Wars"-related comic, including the main book, took a sharp drop of about 20%, which turned those comics from profitable to "not." We're trying to steer the orders back toward profitability as fast as we can, but clearly there are always going to be casualties. And the truly painful thing is that, much like "DC You," "All-New All-Different" is stumbling out of the gate, and what should have been a grand repositioning that would draw flocks of new and excited readers to a revitalized Marvel line, like "New 52" did for DC, ANAD has arrived with just a quiet sigh of indifference from the majority of the readership.

>This was a time when very few were happy with Marvel
Now they just don't care.

its over, Marvel is finished.....

Attached: 1433280005387.jpg (625x401, 51K)

I think it was the point when "comics sell when readers are angry" finally got proven wrong.

Still waiting.........

Attached: 11861412-B229-47F2-A33A-AC9BA2F3CB92.png (182x277, 53K)

>hardcore Marvel fans were hating on cartoony styles but still loving Bachalo's art
based

People got mad at diversity.

And by people you mean "socially withdrawn whyte peepo".
Which was a miscalculation on Marvel's part, given their overwhelming majority in their readership.
You have to be careful adding POC or women into Big 2 comics, they have a traditional, long-standing role in them. And it isn't to be assertive or to make the White Male look bad.

>You have to be careful adding POC or women into Big 2 comics
Basically as long as you don't introduce them shitting all over/killing established characters, you're more or less okay.
That's not really 'being careful' as 'not co-opting someone's spotlight

We can't prove anything because they blacklist every writer who does something provocative

Member... blindspot?

You know how it was...
Captain America - black
Wolverine - female teen
Thor - female
Captain Marvel - female
Ms. Marvel - muslim female teen
Spider-Man - black
Nick Fury - black
Spider-Woman - pregnant
original X-Men - teens

That time they didn’t bring back ‘Monk’ like they said they would.

I never witnessed a series of corporate blunders this immense and hilarious until Fallout 76 or Anthem. Marvel really dug a hole for themselves with all that. Plus there was that time Marvel decided to form a partnership with a huge military weapons manufacturer which was so poorly received, Marvel cancelled the partnership the very next day. It almost led to G Willow Wilson quitting the company.

Yeah their fuckups really kept escalating from Secret Wars/All-New All-Different and reached its peak in 2017 (when they published Secret Empire and Marvel Legacy)

>You know how it was...
>Captain America - black
There's been Black Captains before
>Wolverine - female teen
This bothers me about as much as She-Hulk. For pretty much the same reasons.
>Thor - female
THAT was clearly an attempt to rustle jimmies, I'll grant.
>Captain Marvel - female
Used to be a black woman, white male CM is an old long-dead character
>Ms. Marvel - muslim female teen
No one was being Ms Marvel, and the character herself was Muslim-lite. Also not the first Muslim anything.
>Spider-Man - black
There are so many Spider-Men, (and women) of so many nationalities that I really can't say I care.
>Nick Fury - black
Ok. That being a thing outside Ultimate was unnecessary.
>Spider-Woman - pregnant
That's progressive?
>original X-Men - teens
THAT'S progressive? I remember when X-babies were a big thing.

Then there's the vendetta against redheads
Why do redheads get turned into black people so often?

Not that but it was around the same time. It was first teased as this major thing that Marvel was doing and it was just covers.

That's movies and tv across multiple companies.
I think it has to do with the scarcity of non-uggo redhead actresses. They are heavily using the acceptably attractive ones.

>>Wolverine - female teen
>This bothers me about as much as She-Hulk. For pretty much the same reasons
Because it spit in the face of Laura's "I may be a clone, but I'm not just Wolverine with boobs" thing? That's She-Hulk's schtick too?

I'm so sorry, Laurafag. They shouldn't have DONE that to you, but I also realize we cannot have a rational conversation about your Clawfu.

She is literally "Wolverine with Boobs".
It'd be like Lockjaw denying his existence as a dog. She was literally created with the intention of being teen fapbait Wolverine.

Funny part was that story had by far the most diverse cast of any superhero team ever, part of its philosophy was a STEM oriented team to make that career path more attractive to minorities and youth in general, and the asshole SJW still killed it. Lol.

they've always been since the days of Spiderman and Black Panther

What was fake about it?