Why has Tarzan not amassed an outrageously positive cult following on the level of Hunchback...

Why has Tarzan not amassed an outrageously positive cult following on the level of Hunchback? It's the best of the films from 94-99, and I'd even say it's a top 3 Disney film easily.

Attached: image.jpg (1011x1500, 434K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TCkA6F1nfck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the best movie from disney's ugly period is still ugly

I feel like this film will constantly be held back from a fantastic reputation simply because of where it falls on the Disney timeline. In terms of adapting a well known story to an animated film, Tarzan succeeds in all the same ways the early renaissance films do. It would have the same admiration as them if this came out the same year as Lion King. Convince me otherwise.

>Ugly
It looks fine.

The bigger issue is it's a licensed film

Disney can't do whatever they want with it, so it doesn't get pushed in the Public eye as much

I mean the faces are ugly. it's from the period from pocahontas to present where faces are drawn ugly instead of beautiful.

Tarzan's pubic domain

Are you seriously calling Jane ugly?

based philcollinskino

Tarzan is the best of 90's non-Pixar Disney aside from the holy trilogy of Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and The Lion King. Worst thing about it is Phil Collin's shitty music, and fucking Rosie O Donnel's shitty character. I agree it deserves to be more popular than say Mulan. Mulan had so much potential but ended up feeling half-baked imo.

Because they did it while having the rights to Tarzan.

It only partially is. Plus there's the matter of trademark which ERB Inc still holds.

>that Jane on the poster
I miss when animated films had sex appeal

I'd say the design on the faces is the best it's looked since Aladdin and it wouldn't be rivaled the same way until Princess and the Frog.

Mulan was a great film but it suffers from not being allowed to be a film aimed towards a much older audience.

Wait a minute, are you fuckers telling me that Edgar Rice Burroughs' estate is still a thing? Is Tarzan not in the public domain?

Attached: disney timelin.jpg (2154x827, 234K)

>people dont like tarzan
this is news to me. i thought the movie was great, tho looking back on it it does look kinda of weird

Attached: yAdUc0v84Ok28ico6SP820wjZMz.jpg (1000x563, 57K)

Interesting chart but it honestly doesn't prove anything in particular. There's a lot of smaller yet really intense followings for certain films independent of what the general public thought/continues to think about the film in question. Like Hunchback for example. It didn't set the world on fire initially, but now certain fans call it a top 5 film. You could nitpick the other problems here for hours if you wanted to, like Alice in Wonderland and Fox and the Hound being under Big Hero 6 and Zootopia for no good reason.

Tarzan Rocks?

More like Tarzan's Overrated.

Attached: south-park-s04e04c19-riddle-out-16x9.jpg (960x540, 62K)

Disney is the very company that fights against public domain laws, so yeah. ERB got a better deal than Lovecraft or Howard did.

Tarzan is really underrated. It's one of the few Disney movies that use graphic violence, that fight scene with Tarzan and Sabor the leopard was kino as fuck. You actually see Sabor bleed from Tarzan cutting him with his spear, showing that the fight has weight. I even like the Phil Collins songs, not sure why they get hate in the first place though. The cartoon was pretty good too, not perfect but good enough.

I would never put Bolt or P&tF in Revival, even though P&tF totally deserves it

Mulan was better desu

It felt like a longer, better movie cut down to fit a certain mold. Tarzan fit perfectly into the film it sought to be. Mulan had the potential to be better but wasn't given the chance.

I heard the blu-ray got messed up but they released a fixed version later, I need some comparison shots.

It's not fully public domain. The first book is, and so are 9 other books. There's still 15 books by Burroughs that aren't public domain. Plus the ERB estate has the trademark.

Dynamite tried to do their own Tarzan comic without them by making a comic called Lord of the Jungle, ERB filed suit, but that didn't really go far because it settled with Dynamite getting license for Tarzan and John Carter. We'll never know how that would've gone in court.

>hunchback of notre dame is ugly
>hercules is ugly
>tarzan is ugly
>mulan is ugly

Attached: 1555275810655.jpg (1024x923, 162K)

The only reason I want to see the live-action Mulan is to see how they'll handle the violence and nude bathing

>hercules is ugly
You're saying it isn't?

Tarzan has had far more popular films and books than the Disney riff.

Nah, he got pushed out of kingdom hearts because they couldn’t keep the rights to him.

it's when Lasseter started to help Disney make moives

it suffers from having Phil Collins instead of Alan Menken

I don't know, but it's got some of my all-time favourite Disney moments. Such as that part where Tarzan discovers that he's not the only human in the world and first interacts with Jane (but without any kind of knowledge of human language or any understanding of respectable manners), or that part where he's so giddy and enthusiastic to learn about all possible aspects of the human society, or those moments where he tries to introduce Jane to the gorillas. Those scenes just have so much intense emotion in them that I love watching them.
Most of the songs are great too, I've kept them on my playlist for years by now.

Attached: tarzan.jpg (1920x1080, 356K)

God I want to fuck Turk. I always have from the very first moment I saw this film.

I watched that in the cinema.

You need to learn the difference between ugly and stylized, boyo.

An user in another thread claimed there were two different versions of the blu-ray. One was badly transferred or something
I can't find any info on this though

Some people just have no tastes

Fucking animation kino
youtube.com/watch?v=TCkA6F1nfck