What does Yea Forums think about the classic Universal cartoons, Woody Woodpecker in particular...

What does Yea Forums think about the classic Universal cartoons, Woody Woodpecker in particular? Even after the voice and tone change in the early 50’s the Woody Woodpecker cartoons always had an adult tone and were more self aware than Warner Brothers cartoons. Woody is a standout design and his character had a particular edge that other annoying characters lacked.

Attached: 2261364C-0800-45DB-BB29-789C70D51C69.jpg (558x426, 69K)

The thing is, 4%

>always had an adult tone and were more self aware than Warner Brothers cartoons
I wouldn't go that far. Their humor is certainly better than the Disney shorts but the Looney Tunes are the top tier.

Brazil's boy

Pica Pau.

around the '60s, Woody got hit repeatedly with the Karma hammer and the last original cartoon had him being spanked by Miss Meanie. Even in the short-lived '90s revival Woody still couldn't escape it.

So what other ones did Universal have? Drawing a blank in my head with mostly MGM cartoons being what I remember.

Chilly Willy, Andy Panda, and Inspector Willoughby (He will DESTROY you)

Anyone else find Woody attractive?

If Woody Woodpecker was a real bird I'd hunt them to extinction.

I loved them as a kid but it's been decades since I've seen any. No idea how they hold up.

>Inspector Willoughby
Looks familiar.

Attached: 000.jpg (1125x1500, 280K)

Funny how most of that cast you won’t even hear about here

He's one of those characters the company that owns him has no interest in using anymore and if they ever do anything with him it's just because he has some vague existence within pop culture

Lantz was solid and underrated pre-60s, after 1960 the cartoons only got worse, avoid anything from 1968 onwards as Sid Marcus left Lantz in 1967.

Early 60s was solid because of Jack Hannah who was Disney's best director while Sid Marcus who stood until 1967 was a ok director, avoid Paul J. Smith's 60s works as by that time he was going blind and his daughter was doing all the work by that point.

Tex Avery who is god-tier did 4 cartoons for the studio (s Crazy Mixed Up Pup, Sh-h-h-h-h-h, I'm Cold and The Legend of Rockabye Point) before going to do commercials for almost the rest of his life, he also started out at Lantz doing Oswald before jumping ship to Warner Bros.

Wasn't there also some grumpy lady who was the only human of the cast?

Ms.Meany, Lantz also had Sam & Maggie of who Tex Avery created.

Attached: MaggieAndSam_CrazyMixedUpPup.jpg (220x158, 10K)

Woody is sort of within the outer limits of what makes a cartoon character lovable and appealing. A good number of his 40's shorts are him being a complete asshole just for the sake of it.

Woody cartoons were always full of rampant alcoholism for some reason

I'd say hopefully Looney Tunes Cartoons get them on board truly reviving Woody properly, but I don't think they care outside making the cheapest things to keep him somewhat alive

What is this madness? Not only was Hannah in no way Disney's best (that was Kinney hands down, to the point were Avery wanted to snatch him for his unit) but his Woody Woodpeckers were formulaic as all hell and several were outright stinkers too; like the voodoo one, the one with the robot that pulls feathers, and Woodys Kook Off, which is insultingly lazy in its recycling of previous animation and story concepts; Ive seem clip shows with more original thought and footage in them than this slop!

A name that doesn't come up often is that of Shamus Culhane; he's responsible for some of the most maniac Woody shorts ever done, not to mention regaling us with Wally Walrus. Don Patterson I'd hold in good regard too, very good pacing in his gagfests. Dick Lundy could be slow as molasses, reminiscent of his Disney days, but he slowly acquires more of a taste for the insanity needed for the characters and his pacing improves, culminating in the birth of Buzz Buzzard.

I'd say the majority of Woody cartoons hold up to this day, there's an inventiveness to the jokes that will catch new viewers off guard even if they expect crazy to happen.

>Crazy Mixed Up Pup
>was nominated for an Academy Award, but lost to the Mr. Magoo short When Magoo Flew
Fucking Tex lost to a Mr. Magoo?
I want a word with the academy.

The Academy didn't give Bugs an award until the late fifties and it didn't give Daffy one at all.

>Sh-h-h-h-h-h
Literally fuck that noise.

Best version of Woody.

>The thing is, 4%
?
t. never seen any Woody Woodpecker 'toons in his life.

I made a typo and wanted to see if anyone would comment on it.

Anyhoo, the thing is, Bugs not being the aggressor in his conflicts is what made him work as a character. Some dick messing with him for thirty seconds gives us license to laugh at Bugs tormenting him for the next seven.

Woody cartoons were just obnoxious because he would bluster in and beat up characters that had done nothing to deserve it and had no meaningful way of fighting back. It's hard to cheer for someone who's just an out and out bully

There's several cartoons were Woody is provoked first to varying degrees; and others where he doesn't win after his bullshit.

I feel it gets better in the more modern adaptions
Either whoever is against him is the aggressor, he gets his due or it's not even really a conflict