Why wasn't M.AS.K. the phenomenon Transformers was when they're clearly both million dollar ideas?

Why wasn't M.AS.K. the phenomenon Transformers was when they're clearly both million dollar ideas?

youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z1yLO9C-Q

Attached: mask.jpg (680x893, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zOsPiVKn06Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Think it was another one of those shows that was only around for a few months then never seen again. A lot of 80s series that had full toylines were only on tv for like 4-ish months then taken off and replaced with another that had the exact same fate.

Dino Riders was only around for like 2 months total. Toy line still did well.

You better hope no one rebooting it.

Because as cool as cars and car toys were, they didnt have the staying power that cool robots that could transform did.

Plus car toys are harder and more expensive to make than action figures.

If I pull their yada yada etc etc will they blah blah blah you get the picture.

IIRC it's purely because they failed the launch in the US market, as it, indeed, was on transformers level where ever it aired.

I'll just leave this here...

Attached: orion pax - mask rhino.jpg (1024x721, 158K)

IDW tried. Matt Trakker was a black dude.

Optimus Prime had more personality than Matt Trecker.

And that's why it failed. You need at least some old fans to like it to build enough buzz to grow a new audience.

In the 1980s, because Transformers and GI Joe both already existed. MASK may combine elements of both, but had to compete with them both, when they were already well-established brands.

Since the 1980s, nobody tried to relaunch MASK, until the IDW comic, and with no new toys or cartoon, nobody born after the 1980s knew or cared what MASK was. A new MASK comic launching in 2016 held little appeal for anyone except old fans from the 1980s, and it changed too much to appeal to them either.

because you donĀ“t spell commando with a k

If those fans are thin skinned enough to get mad over a race change that ultimately changed little, then they're not worth keeping around.

What killed the MASK reboot is a combination of the comic itself being so damn bland and the clumsy attempts by Hasbro and IDW to build a shared universe.

perfectly logical narrative choice

If it were more something like Kamen Rider, it would have been more successful.

I randomly saw this on TV just a few years ago. I found the idea of having heroes wear such terrifying and bulky masks really odd. They look like random nameless henchmen or robots. It's quite dehumanizing, really.

It has unfortunately proved that when showrunners 're obsessed with racia-gender-SJW things it means they're not gonna give a flying crap about the storyline.

why were the 80s so special?

Attached: comfy hug.gif (389x415, 1.99M)

The cutter thing is the least problematic thing about "I Am Suicide".

They didn't hire Denny O'Neil and Jim Shooter like TF did.

Because at that time there were all kinds of original things (good and bad) not only remakes/reboots/recons like now.

MASK was quite progressive at the time.

It was a decent medium range series. People do not know that the 80s had lots and LOTS of toy based series like this come and go but still managed to sell plenty of toys and large sets. Not everyone was going to be Transformers/GI:Joe, but MASK was on the same level as Jayce, Centurions, that one with the armored zip liners, Silverhawks, etc.

>Jayce

This is the one. Deserves a comeback.

And if new producers and writers are far more interested in changing things for their own agendas then they're not worth supporting.

Pretty sure the armored zip riders (Sky commanders) had only 1 pilot episode produced.

Vortech was the same idea but different name due to the Mask movie

Matt's son was the worst

Careful what you wish for, user.

nope, they had a whole season

He was the leader of the team and the most familiar and beloved character of the franchise. When you radically change his physical appearance of course you're going to alienate the people who like him. Appearance matters in a visual medium. It's not even just about race, if you make Kal-El/Clark Kent a blonde guy with tattoos people will be pissed off, If you make Peter Parker a redhead people will be pissed off.

It used to come on boomerang all the time around 08ish

I urge anyone interested in MASK to check out the UK Fleetway Mask comics. Mad Shit -anything goes- kinda stuff with great artists in a lot of places, like 200 ADs Ron Smith and David Pugh.

Attached: MaskIssue6 David Pugh.jpg (538x718, 307K)

What killed M.A.S.K. in the '80s was second season shifted the series into racing.

>make Peter Parker a redhead
I can see the people questioning why his hair changed and theorizing that he's actually Peter Jr from the future.
But the facts still stand as you said people will bitch.
Like if someone remade Mulan but made her Taiwanese or Japanese but still saving China.

The things they turned into were worse than they were before.

One more

Attached: Mask 18_Page_27.jpg (2549x3496, 973K)

not bad.

It was on the air for two seasons, and the toys were around that long. They apparently sold poorly though.

Matt Trakkers Brother together with the first MASK team gets killed. Matt is the only survivor.

Attached: Mask 01_Page_07.jpg (2552x3496, 876K)

Kids in the media are always the worst.

It had no PERSONALITY...Transformers & Joe had likeable characters/engaging villains and had a canon/mythology.

Mask was just a lot of static plots & regurgitated animation to save costs.

I DO have a soft spot for the theme song...

Attached: mask04.jpg (669x415, 46K)

>the theme song
Same

Spike is overhated