PEOPLE THOUGHT THIS WOULD FAIL

>PEOPLE THOUGHT THIS WOULD FAIL

Attached: GOG.jpg (640x640, 204K)

The trailer looked pretty cheesy and it also took a lot of creative liberties from its comics counterpart.
If anything, it very well could have

The script and set design was very good. It had a sense of scale that was comparable to an Avengers style film. Now if they can apply that to GOTG3 and Nova. I hope the costume design improve in Marvel films since it falls sort sometimes.

It was probably the least retarded
>this is gonna flop
prediction from the anti-MCU crowd.

>it also took a lot of creative liberties from its comics counterpart

how is that a sign that gotg film would fail? gotg comics were... not that great to say the least.

This. But that trailer really hit with people, so even that didn't last long.

fuck i love this movie its my most rewatched one

To this day I'm still wondering what it is about James Gunn's directing style that made the GOTG movies work.

It couldn't have just been the music

He's an indie director given a massive budget and a blank check, so the GOTG movies feel a lot closer to their director's style than I would say for most Marvel movies.

Like when Rocket's drunk and pointing a gun at Drax, it's funny at first but then he starts going into a rant about how he thinks nobody actually sees him as a person. The clash between comedy and tragedy in that scene feels a lot more "earned" and deliberate as something Gunn adapted from Super as opposed to just awkward whiplash.

>Watch GOTG in 2014
>Watch The Force Awakens in 2015
>slowly realize that the former is far superior to the latter

Marvel making a geniunely good sci-fi romp is one of the best things to come out of the superhero craze

>hire a good director and let them make a movie

Wow what a novel concept. And it's what led to Iron Man, GotG and Thor 3, the best movies of the MCU while executive meddling led to Ant-Man, Iron Man 2 and Avengers 2, some of the blandest and most forgettable movies of the MCU. I wonder if there's a connection?

So this is some revision history where the 00s Marvel Cosmic wasn't beloved?

lol who the fuck cares about Abnett & Landing? Literal whos

Sure, 80% of the people who went to see the movies read the comics

So you were just pretending to be retarded for this discussion? That's the angle you're going for while changing from "they weren't good" to "nobody cares if they were good"?

No I just butted in to make a joke, I wasn't the user you were talking to. I agree he's retarded.

>It was probably the least retarded this is gonna flop prediction

I still think Captain Marvel would have been a less retarded prediction. Given how little people cared about her character, the actor they chose, and the inconsequential plot. To this day is baffles me that it made over a billion dollars. It only makes sense in the context of it it being the film prior to Endgame and that normies were to retarded to realize it was a prequel with no narrative importance.

I'll give you Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron, but Ant-Man was honestly pretty solid (not incredible) and I think AM&TW is in an upper tier for the MCU. The Ant-Man movies generally are solid action-comedies.

Mainstream has zero confidence in scifi that is not an established property. They think that starwars and startrek are the only scifi that can be sucessful.

>blandest and most forgettable movies of the MCU
>Ant-Man

Attached: 1554537893274.jpg (630x510, 32K)

Fair enough

Before we saw the trailer, look at what we had on paper.
>Main character is played by the fat guy from Parks and Rec
>One of the characters is literally a talking tree who can only say one phrase
>Another character is a talking, gun-toting raccoon
>One is an assassin who works for an actual genocidal warlord
>And the last is a hulking fool played by a wrestler
>Setting is far away from the rest of the overarching series, stepping well outside the more grounded films on earth and leaning into wacky space stuff
>Directed by a Troma alum whose resume includes having written the live action Scooby-Doo movies
People who don't understand the appeal of whimsy and wackiness would obviously have serious doubts, and the quick pitch version of the movie is a little hard to swallow. It starts to make more sense when you get into the themes of the movie, like misfit families, redemption, and all that, but to a bunch of advertising executives who specialize in selling movies -- but not understanding them necessarily -- it'd seem like an obvious misfire. Really, it's a credit to Feige and Gunn that they saw the appeal and knew how to assemble the right creative team to do it.

While I didn't think it would break a billion, I really couldn't see it flopping with how it was marketed and when it was released.
GotG came out in 2014, it was the 10th movie in the franchise and the first one to step away from the relatively grounded Avengers Earth setting to do cosmic. CM came out in 2019, in between 2 Avengers movies, she was the stinger in the first one and normies thought she would play a prominent role in the most anticipated MCU movie to date. It was also super fucking safe in its narrative and style.
Fuck even Ant-Man and the Wasp who people point to to say that an MCU movie can do meh in 2019 (and which wasn't marketed nearly as heavily as CM) made 620mil, that's ~80% of what GotG made and that was considered a massive success.

I remember every female movie reviewer said it sucked while every guy reviewer loved it

it is this generations 3 stooges in that regard

You have to admit. The sequel was rather bland

>"I didn't ask to get made! I didn't ask to be torn apart and put back together over and over again and turned into some little monster!"
>"He called me Vermin!"
>"She called me Rodent!"

poor thing.

Attached: rocketdrunk.png (1280x536, 680K)

this is a bizarre and telling false reality you have crafted here

Yes and I'm still mad

Attached: ANGRYANTS.jpg (1063x1063, 54K)

I think you woke up in the wrong dimension bud

People want everything to fail.
The saddest people are the ones that are happy when others are dissapointed see

Attached: 18.jpg (1200x1699, 619K)

>It succeeded despite being generic trash
That's not a good thing.

bland compared to the first, but overall, one of the better sequels

I actually kinda liked it more than the first. The stakes in it felt more realized and important. Paul Rudd as Ant-man is a gem though and I hope the third one is even better than the others.

Attached: 1526036832168.jpg (500x741, 163K)