One question

Can someone explain to me why in the unholy fuck is Seth MacFarlane SO GODDAMN OBSESSED WITH MUSICALS?
WHY?
What the fuck is with him and musicals?
Why does Family Guy have SO MANY musical related jokes and musical segments/skits?

Why, just why is it so prevalent?
I've known some of the faggiest gay guys over the years and not ONE of them is even 1/4 as obsessed with musicals as he seems to be.
What is up with this man and musicals, seriously, i can't figure it out.

Attached: seth-macfarlane-family-guy.jpg (550x500, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ayZ6c8WrD5U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He wanted to become the next Sinatra but didn't have the guts or talent.

Seriously?
He has a history with trying to get into the show business as a singer?

He wants to be on Broadway so bad and it'll never happen. Do you think it makes him mad knowing Trey and Matt made it there? Also this

>Why does Family Guy have SO MANY musical related jokes and musical segments/skits?

A lot of that, especially early on, was because of Dan Povenmire but things like Seth loving The Sound of Music is at least partly because he was part of a generation where musicals were still larger-than-life phenomenons on television and film.

Just a few decades ago, watching, for instance, The Wizard of Oz on television was still a major "drop everything and watch" once-a-year thing.

because he's passionate about musicals & singing so he puts them in his show a lot
not that weird

yes

Attached: 91V-1XWuoqL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 29K)

He does have a good voice for it, could have done something with the right training.

I just can't stand it.
It's not that i don't like musicals, but he's just so obnoxious about it.
I know Family Guy gets a lot of shit (and rightfully so) but i like using it as background noise as i'm doing other things and every time a new musical segment pops up for the 400000th time i have to stop whatever i'm doing and skip ahead, it's so grating.

That, and the constant, relentless star wars references of the first seasons.
Honestly the show would instantly be at least more bareable without these two terribly prevalent elements.

Attached: 4264236.png (400x300, 76K)

Because him and his family like music. Who thunk it.

He just likes musicals, dude
I don't get why someone liking and having a passion for something is such an insane idea to you

Liking musicals is fine.
Having a musical segment in your show every 5 minutes is just being an asshole and becomes annoying real fast.

The Orville should have an episode where they hit a space thingy that makes everyone sing.

because a five minute musical sequence is a good time filler when you've run through the standard "Stewie is gay, Peter is fat, Brian is an pseud" jokes.

How about doing a Joe segment where he's quiet at first but then gets intense?
How about a Lois segment, where she's bored and constantly craving cock?
How about a Quagmire segment with a dirty joke, if you've got nothing else?
I'll take anything but a musical sequence.
Anything.
I'll ever take a Meg skit.

and what happens when they run through those jokes? The musical bits are just another tired standard of a show that ran out of jokes 10 minutes into the first episode.

I've noticed that a lot of people in the entertainment business seem to have a thing for musicals for some reason

It's like they're a bunch of fags, but then they're not really fags.
They just act like fags a lot.
They've got all the things that make homosexuals annoying, but often without actually being gay and with none of the positive aspects.
Just the stereotypes of narcisism, being self absorbed, selfish, and borderline sociopathic.

Fuck off, OP. Musical episodes of shows are usually the best ones.

Yeah sure.
Tell me again how much you liked the aborted trash fetuses dancing for 10 fucking minutes for a premise that gets old and spent after the first 3 seconds.
Or the song about how cool pot is (with a "clever" reference to The Rocketeerr? seriously? who in the blue fuck gives a shit, even back then?).
Or about getting chris ready to go date the girl with down syndrome (god that was the worst of them all, so drawn out, so unnecessary, slowed the pace of the ep to a fucking crawl).

Real riveting stuff.
Definitely adds a lot to the episode when it's not funny at all, isn't even trying to tell a joke, and completely shuts down the progression of the entire episode and any character interaction for Seth to masturbate himself lyrically for what feels like an eternity before everyone else on the team can finish jacking him off and the episode is allowed to continue.

Attached: 1317976241051.png (640x480, 14K)

Oh poor you

>What the fuck is with him and musicals?
He likes to consider himself highbrow and artistic, despite being a literal piece of garbage. It's actually kind of sad how passionate he is for it because whenever he sings it is the definition of soulless.

you are so gay

Musicals are hugely influential. A lot of people devote their life to betting in and creating them. You a retard?

You are the weird obnoxious one, user.

You starting this thread was unnecessary

It wouldn't be the same show at all, you homophobe. You are just afraid you're gay.

Someone underage ban this idiot.

You clearly love dick.

He's a homosexual

So is OP, though.

Musicals strongly play to the theatrical, camp, and heightened elements of entertainment. That kinds of stuff is way more appreciated in the sorts of crowd that ends up actually going into entertainment professionally than the rest of the population.
Also a lot of people who go into entertainment start out in theater of some sort, very often including musical theater, on stage or behind the scenes. They have existing skills, experience and attachment working in them.

It's incredibly strange that this needs explaining here.

I think he’s pretty good at musicals, if nothing else.

Though it’s kind of funny that the creators of one of the only shows perhaps even more low brow than Seth’s (South Park) beat him to the punch and was wildly successful (The Book of Mormon).

Kind of makes me want the poor guy to be vindicated, you know? He’s dipped his toe into so many things, but none have panned out, and the most popular one is a laughing stock.

If you weren't twelve you'd know that almost all movies and tv were "musicals" (you've used the word incorrectly, Seth does musical numbers Not musicals) at one point. They all had a song and dance number or three. So he emulates that (I'm not here to discuss how well or poorly he does so).

Seems like you're too young to remember wen nobody made Star Wars references after the prequels.

>another child shits up Yea Forums

do you also hate the south park guys?
albeit they use it more apropos

It fills airtime really easily when you can write a 20 minute script and already had a chicken fight.

Because he's a homosexual. It's not that hard to figure out.

Why do you think he was in the movie Sing?

I don't know, his kind of singing is a dead art.
I don't mind the old crooner shit, but its dead jim.
Michael Buble is famous, but he'll never be Sinatra or ever present famous.

Honestly, has anyone mentioned Buble since his 2011 Christmas Album?
No.
Or Josh Groban since he sang for the Pope?
No.

Crooner singing is just dead. And neither of the 3 have the voice to go into rock, pop, country or rap.
The best they can hope for is Christmas albums.
Seth can just stick to his crappy show.

>What the fuck is with him and musicals?
Maybe it's because both he and Rachel were coached by Frank Sinatra Jr when they were kids?
What did you think this episode was? It was an excuse for Seth and Jr to hang out and sing together.

Attached: MV5BMWM3Zjc0YzEtZDdlYS00ZGM2LTkwYjMtY2EwNzlhNmY4NGMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg (704x528, 62K)

those episodes are the fucking worst

I don’t if he ever tried to get serious with it, but he is a singer and a gigantic Sinatra fanboy.

Everything needs explaining here because you can’t just assume that any person you’re talking to on this site doesn’t literally have autism.

He is a huge Frank Sinatra larper. Also what said, if anything else it is an opportunity for a 1-3 minute not cutaway gag gag. Not like he is alone in doing such a thing either, quite the opposite.
A lot of people in that line of work, for better or worse, are various degrees of theatrical. Some are a little on the downlow about it, others like MacFarlane crank it up to the max. Makes sense if you think about it, “entertainers” being so into entertainment and the like.
Welcome to Yea Forums.

Now that he works for Disney (replacing Craig McCracken) he can make as many musicals as he wants.

If anything the cost of FG & Simpsons should leek over to Disney's other shows to make the animation much better and much more Disney like (replace high VO checks with expensive animation budget), enough with the CN & Nick rejects, you're Disney, act like it.

You would be too if singing was your only talent.

>a premise that gets old and spent after the first 3 seconds.
that's just Family Guy in general, though. Nothing to do specifically with the musical sequences.

He's a pretty damn good VA too honestly. He's great at doing different distinct voices which is more than many VAs can say. And I think he's a pretty good actor too.

I think his biggest flaw is that he just isn't as funny as he thinks he is when working off his own material. If he focused more on acting with others doing the writing, I think he could be pretty successful.

y'know.... this is kinda like brian wanting to be a deep author. life is imitating art.

Attached: Mike-1.jpg (960x960, 89K)

He was in with the thespian theater and acting crowd in high school.

I wonder how salty he is that Trey & Matt have an extremely successful and critically acclaimed Broadway musical

I hate musicals, I really do.

jesus nowadays you can't even like something without getting bashed about it, bob's burgers also does this a lot, some people just like them, get over it

He's no different from people in real estate or infotech who write, produce and direct their own feature films.

Attached: file.png (1062x425, 525K)

Why are you so obsessed with comics and/or cartoons as to waste hours or days here? Sometimes people just like things you idiot.

But he has a musical career
youtu.be/ayZ6c8WrD5U

Hell, I was supposed to go to one of his concerts a couple of years ago, but they sold out so fast

The big problem is that he wants to make a musical but either doesn’t have the time or the right people to help him out.

he likes rogers and hanerstien like alot

Reminds me of when he was doing the CC Roast for Shatner and it was just an hour of him sucking Shatners nuts and being a Trekkie.

>Having a musical segment in your show every 5 minutes is just being an asshole
if you don't like it, make your own

Musicals are fucking great. That's why.

Also Seth really, really wanted to be Sinatra.

this
Also it's weird to think that Jr was fine with being treated like a wash up, despite the only reason he had any fame was due to his father. Makes you wonder how much his real life would have been like the character if he was that fine with all the things they had him do, or if he just really needed a paycheck. I mean every single episode he's in is a pity episode.

Underrated and sadly true. If Seth were born 40 years earlier he'd be a start.

I think everybody made starwars refrences after the prequels. Star Wars refrences were even spread throughout shows all the way up till then. Damn the first time I remember seeing clips from star wars was on the Muppet babies. Then there were things like Space Balls, and a hundred other one off episodes and skits in shows.

Attached: Muppet+Babies+Star+Wars.jpg (484x366, 43K)

Lounge singing isn't much of an art. It was basically Karaoke for some guys who were able to carry a note. The only reason that a lot of the rat pack got big were because they had medical reasons why they couldn't go and fight the war, so they were the only men left in the country.

Then Dean Martin had mob ties and everyone got involved into larger gigs and films at a time when there was little competition. Not saying they were bad singers, but it is a style that anyone can pick up in a few months of practice. People I think more enjoyed the crowd interaction of those shows, made them feel more personal in a time when a star would never interact with fans.

I don't see you bitching about Phineas and Ferb.

I've never heard of this. I thought some of the more famous ones wrote their own lyrics. How does that factor into lounge singing being karaoke for better singers? Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

>I thought some of the more famous ones wrote their own lyrics
Not at all the case. Sinatra had lots of song writers. Alan & Marilyn Bergman, Paul Anka, Ervin Drake, Jimmy Van Heusen, Carolyn Leigh and more. Many of his songs were just covers. Like My Way by Paul Anka or Aint that a kick in the head by Cole Porter, Bart Howard preformed Fly me to the Moon etc.

Hey Arnold even had that episode that made fun of Sinatra in a way as being a horrible song writer that needed his writer. Sammy was known for his signature Mr. Bojangles and it was a cover based on the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Not to say that they never wrote anything, but their best known songs are ones that they never wrote. Though it really wasn't uncommon back then. Willie Nelson wrote hundreds of songs for other singers, he didn't even start out as a singer he just wrote the songs.