Why did C. B. Cebulski use the pseudonym “Akira Yoshida"?

Why did C. B. Cebulski use the pseudonym “Akira Yoshida"?

Attached: 1535565688363.jpg (1180x842, 107K)

Clan Yashida reference?

>Gomenasai, my name is Cebulski-Sama.
>I'm a 27 year old American Otaku (Anime fan for you gaijins). I draw Anime and Manga on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my art and playing superior Japanese games. (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Persona series)
>I train with my Katana every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and is vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.
>I speak Japanese fluently, both Kanji and the Osaka dialect, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Japanese history and their bushido code, which I follow 100%
>When I get my Japanese visa, I am moving to Tokyo to attend a prestigious High School to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an animator for Studio Ghibli or a game designer!
>I own several kimonos, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Japan, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my elders and seniors and speak Japanese as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.
>Wish me luck in Japan!

During the manga boom in the early 00's, Marvel was under pressure to capitalize on it.
One of the jobs of editors is seeking new talent, and getting really good new talent usually buys you a lot of influence, as well.
Because of said pressure, there was a lot of interest in hiring actual mangaka to do work for Marvel, which was really unsuccessful because manga was just generally a better prospect than doing American comics for a variety of reasons.
So he basically cheated and made up a Japanese writer (since obviously he couldn't do art) to make himself look good, while also being able to pick up an extra paycheck while editing which was against policy.

in honor of Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Cybulksi IV? whose last name has never been rendered properly because asians can't russian

Weirdly enough "Akira Yoshida" never worked with that Japanese artist who drew some X-Men comics at the time.

Now that the dust has settled, how is the shogun as Marvel's EiC?

>In reality, Cebulski himself has family in Japan, has lived there before and now resides in Shanghai, China.
What a twist

The dust is very far from settled.
But he seems to be trying a little harder than Alonso, who was the most ineffectual editor since the 90's editor clusterfuck and seemed to constantly be dead inside.
Creators seem to have a lot more leeway lately, but it's likely this has more to do with Bendis leaving and corporate mandates being relaxed slightly. There are some things that are likely good moves from him, but overall it seems like a lot of Marvel's improvement of late is coincidental, like writers like Ewing and Cates gaining a lot of popularity, a ton of writers leaving for creator-owned and freeing up books, the Inhuman push being mostly nixed, the FF being allowed back, Spider-Man going to Spencer which has been planned forever, and Aaron's Thor run coming to its conclusion.

I suppose I could give him credit for probably cutting the crust off and getting rid of books that seem to have no reason to exist, as well as delineating the young, teen demographic characters so they're not being forced into events and crossovers that no one asked for.
Really in general it looks like he's just consolidating things, shuffling people around and cutting off the fluff that doesn't need to exist.

Attached: kenichi.jpg (185x144, 6K)

and having at least ten #1's a month

back in the early 00's, Marvel didn't let/want editors writing books

They still don't. It was something Shooter did away with.

really though?
i mean 22 pages a month vs 16 a week or 44 a month sounds like a pretty sweet deal
though i suppose any mangaka of note would be to expensive for marvel to afford

There's a lot of reasons for it, particularly what you said about being more expensive. You get paid per page at Marvel, so you'd definitely have to do way more than one issue per month to make as much as you would with pretty much any manga magazine.
Doing comics also does nothing to help your Japanese career, and since most mangaka assistants aim to do their own manga, working for Marvel is a career dead end.
Plus language barrier and general Japanese unwillingness to work for foreigners.

At best there's just no reason to do comics over manga, and at worst it's a worse prospect overall. Mangaka are just plain paid better, since quality is much more important over there: you have to sell your magazine entirely on the quality of the comics, after all, you can't rely on recognizable characters and pretty covers.

he's a weeb

Because an editor isn't allowed to hire himself as a writer. Also, he was tasked with finding Asian creators, not more fat white guys.

>general Japanese unwillingness to work for foreigners.
It can't be THAT hard to find a westaboo Mangaka and ask him if he'd like to write/draw the real thing, can it?

A couple decades ago I was able to license books and commission original artworks simply by being easy to work with, handling all the financial legwork on my end, and communicating in rudimentary Japanese.

I think CB just didn't try very hard, or Marvel didn't try very hard, or there were unrealistic expectations such as requiring people to relocate to New York.

What is the origin of this autistic greentext

>I think CB just didn't try very hard
Gee, ya fuckin think?

Attached: 1416356485786.jpg (316x292, 18K)

That’s basically the guy who created the recent Ghost Rider comic.

Where the fuck is Bloodstained for the Vita, you hack!?

Damn. Now I want to know what you worked to bring over. Hopefully not for that shitty Tokyopop. Those books were garbage quality.