Unpopular Yea Forums Opinions

Right in the subject

>If Adventure Time had kept the tone of Season 1 and 2, absolutely nobody would be talking about it today

Attached: Original_Finn.png (203x311, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/oYmVW6faqIc
youtube.com/watch?v=R9fngout7e8
youtube.com/watch?v=YPGrxmxWMSQ
youtu.be/udkjwspnFwU
youtube.com/watch?v=GcRbP5UQp14
youtube.com/watch?v=6TKV4vbe04U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's not an opinion, it's an unprovable hypothesis.

It's my opinion that it would be true

If your favorite cartoon is Gravity Falls you really don't have taste
If your favorite cartoon is Avatar you're not only proving you have no taste outside shit like thinking NCIS is deep, but you're also proving you hate animation as a whole

2000s anime influenced shows like Avatar got anime fans into western animation, and the only reason things supposedly declined is because things are going back to normal and weebs don't like western cartoons in their default state

>if avatar is your favorite you hate animation
you gonna explain that take or just leave it there?

Cartoons from america have stagnated since the 90s, with the last decade being no better or worse than the oughts.
While anime has been degrading since around 2005, its average is still better than America's average.
Cal arts style is perfectly ok for childrens programming. The problem with the shows that use it is almost entirely the writing, not the animation.

>I enjoy Marvel comics more than DC’s nowadays
>Spider-Man has never been better than he is in comics right now
>Cosmic Ghost Rider is my favorite version of Ghost Rider and my fave version of Frank too
>Morrison’s Doom Patrol is the best comic run ever
>She-Hulk is the hottest bitch in comics

Agree, never understood why people thought GF was the peak of animation, it’s good, but nothing special

what's your favorite cartoon then?

>you're also proving you hate animation as a whole
Nah, that would liking shit like Foodfight. What the fuck are you actually talking about, nigga?

Then why did it get so popular during seasons 1 and 2?

Attached: 048948213051.png (250x250, 111K)

Yeah, because people don't discuss shows that were just good.

No one is talking about it now.

Attached: Modelsheet_finn_-_naked.jpg (1600x952, 165K)

What do YOU think is the best cartoon, Einstein?

My view on anime is that its declined just as much as american cartoons and at the same rate, it just started from a higher point

I think if you compare it to other shows and what animation was founded on you'd find out why it's true. If I need to explain I will but it should be very obvious
Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies

I actually agree with you. Animation peaked from the late 30s through the mid 50s

>If I need to explain I will but it should be very obvious

Enlighten me. Also include how GF is better on the explanation

I’m gay

There's only one time lime that loops back into itself in Endgame

I think The Amazing Spider-Man movies where better than MCU Spider-Man movies.

People need to stop fetishizing action. You only like action because there were a bunch of good action shows in the 90s and 2000s and now your brain conflates action with quality. What you really want is just good writing and art

Realism and detail are highly overrated. They can look nice when done well, but they aren't the be-all and end-all of quality in art, and I feel like people only want them because they're relatively uncommon today

We don't need more of this or more of that, we need more variety in general. More variety means more choice for the consumer, and more freedom for artists. Having more shows in different styles would solve basically every single one of Yea Forums's problems with the animation industry

Higher framerates look better unless you're doing intentionally limited animation a-la UPA. I know you don't NEED a high framerate to do good animation, but the best high framerate animation still will always look more natural than the best low framerate animation.

At the same time, good animation doesn't come from the amount of motion, it comes from the quality of what motion you have. I will always admire a head tilt where everything stays super on-model and consistent and solid the whole time way more than a super flashy fight scene where the characters proportions change constantly and their construction melts

The 2010s isn't as bad as Yea Forums makes it out to be. It's not as good as the 90s or even the 2000s, but your kidding yourself if you think they're anywhere near as bad as the 70s or 80s.

Most cartoons made from 1980-1987 have aged horribly and people only like them because of a combination of nostalgia and the small handful of very short well animated scenes that shows would have here and there every so often. Outside of those they had 70s tier animation and went off model so much it would make steven universe blush

People need to stop comparing western animation to anime. They're vastly different styles with vastly different audiences

Attached: 1551061148591.jpg (720x540, 114K)

you are

I unironicaly wanted the lich from adventure Time to successfully kill everyone.

Except breakfast princess

There's more gingers in cartoons than there are transgender people. Despite the opposite being true in the real world.
We don't need less redheads. But, we need more transgender representation. Also, red headed Asians. Get on that, supposedly Liberal media.

popularity =/= longevity

My point was that people really liked season 1 and 2, but that it wouldn't really have any lasting power in their minds, and they certainly
wouldn't be discussing the characters or anything like that.

Are you?

People who watch and talk about modern CN, Disney and Nick are a disease doing irreparable damage to Yea Forums. More than Yea Forumsermin and company war assholes. It's the toonfags who care about garbage like Steven Universe and Star Vs. that are the real cancer.
They're comprised of furfags, waifufags/husbandrones, shippers, genuine SJWs, or Bronies. Everything wrong with Yea Forums boils down to them.

Attached: don.gif (500x374, 1005K)

No one talks about EEnE now. Tom and Jerry doesn't still air like 60 years later. No one remembers Mickey Mouse or the Looney Tunes, not Woody Woodpecker or Speedy Gonzalez. Not a single human being knows Dexter, Rocko, or Animaniacs even existed. They only remember all those cartoons where the mc cried all day
How much its discussed is truly a marker of quality

So, what are you left with, once you take those guys out?

>We don't need more of this or more of that, we need more variety in general. More variety means more choice for the consumer, and more freedom for artists. Having more shows in different styles would solve basically every single one of Yea Forums's problems with the animation industry
No it wouldn't. We have that and Yea Forums keeps complaining

And being on-model is overrated

Most of those properties, that you mentioned, are still being fed life. The ones that aren't are slowly being forgotten. It's a testament to animaniacs, that people are still talking about it. Years later, despite nothing being done with the property.

I've known people to be more picky about on-model until SU came along and deliberately threw that rule out the window. It's not like other shows use it besides maybe She-ra (which I can't be sure of).

Speaking of SU:
1b > 5 > 3 > 4 > 2 > 1a
I hope we go back to more basic stuff like exploring character's past or character motivations in season 6. Given what we know so far it may be the case.

how is that opinion unpopular on Yea Forums or anywhere?
literally everyones autism from Yea Forums and twitter and all those gay ass places combined into one statement

Attached: 1497885667670.jpg (944x1050, 292K)

*Never known

The Modifyers was a waste of Reccardi's talents

This isn't an unpopular Yea Forums opinion it's just an edgy and stupid one

Lion king, little mermaid, and other so called classics from the 90s disney era are not only overrated but most suck

Rewatching season 1 adventure time it was surprisingly annoying

Superhero’s suck as a concept and think people need to get over most of them

Cartoons are too doughey these days, we need another edgy ren and stimpy to push boundaries and make cartoons funny again

Dreamworks animation has a scary monopoly on the animation streaming market with their agreement with Netflix, which wouldn’t be so bad if most of their output wasn’t shit.

I unironically agree with Ben Shapiro's review of Endgame.
youtu.be/oYmVW6faqIc

>1a as the worst
you're retarded it's literally the only good part of the show
>I've known people to be more picky about on-model until SU came along
Yes that's why everyone was complaining about it all the other shows that did it constantly like ren and stimpy, spongebob, or the simpsons.

Summary for someone who can't hear his high-pitched voice?

Those shows were consistently boarded, were they not? Also 1a is absolutely the worst part of the show and you must have a short memory if you don't recall people complaining that it takes ten episodes before anything good happens.

yes! several of these statements trigger me, NOW this thread is getting somewhere

OK KO is the best looking American cartoon in years that isn't a sequel. Flexibility in animation is not a bad thing.

Young Justice? Hilda?

Superheroes were better off on their ghetto were fanboys wrote them before the entire World Culture became an endless political debate consisting of people memeing each other while calling themselves names.

>yes! several of these statements trigger me
Which ones in particular upset you?

Yet the last season achieved exactly that. I don't think/care for AT anymore and neither does any of my friends who used to be super into it around Season 1 and 2.

Not him but Young Justice is the visual equivalent of oatmeal

>Flexibility in animation is not a bad thing.
Agree but Ok Ko doesn't have that.
Hilda is better than Ok Ko in all aspects you can judge a cartoon.

>oatmeal

MY FAV

youtube.com/watch?v=R9fngout7e8

youtube.com/watch?v=YPGrxmxWMSQ

When this gets greenlit, it'll be the best thing on the network since Uncle Grandpa

It doesn't break the bank animation-wise but it occasionally flexes while having a very pleasant art style. It's no surprise people have taken to it as they have.

Young Justice is stilted action cartoon stuff that is bested by it's forefathers and Hilda is a good aesthetic but not animated that spectacularly.

So much wrong in one thread I just have to igbore it or i'll pop a autist gasket.

>Also 1a is absolutely the worst part of the show and you must have a short memory if you don't recall people complaining that it takes ten episodes before anything good happens.
What people complain about =/= what is true. From cheeseburger backpack, cat fingers, frybo, giant woman, onion trade, so many birthdays, Season 1A has the best episodes in the series before they dive into the throughly retarded homeworld arc that stretches out for 6 seasons and gets more and more retarded as it goes, before clusters, before human zoo, before trial, before retarded twist rose/pink diamond twist, before garnet being a fusion, literally everything after Season 1A is garbage.
This. OK KO is one of the only visually stimulating shows currently airing, almost every frame and every animation is charming and funny

Attached: OKKO_pre-KO_Blue(2).webm (720x405, 1.55M)

>What people complain about =/= what is true.
So you're invalidating your own post? Alright then.

>Agree but Ok Ko doesn't have that
It has it in droves. Hilda's animation is dull, and at times awkwardly mechanical. There's far less energy in every scene youtu.be/udkjwspnFwU

Attached: 1527473941833(2).webm (720x405, 1.24M)

>This. OK KO is one of the only visually stimulating shows currently airing, almost every frame and every animation is charming and funny

Well, they certainly put some effort into it, at least at the storyboarding level. I wouldn't call it charming or funny.

>So you're invalidating your own post? Alright then.
are you retarded? Are you saying all complaints are equally valid? Even ones that are fucking contradictory?

> I wouldn't call it charming or funny
Then you need to watch it

Attached: 1527473876224(2).webm (720x405, 592K)

>Nobody would be talking about S1 and 2 of Spongebob
(you)

Not true, it was huge and will have continued to be huge.

Gravity falls is good but not nearly the best. Probably means you are new to cartoons or a plotfag.

Avatar is genuinely good and just brcause you don't like action cartoons doesn't mean that anime-likes are not a valuable subsection of animation.

Cartoons have stagnated since 2005. Anime is generally about the same level of quality. Animation is a fundamental problem with modern cartoons.

>stop fetishing action
I agree. They can be great but not everything needs to be them.

>realism is overrated
True.

>High framerates are important
Nah. Overrated. Low framerate and more dynamic is better than HFR and less dynamic.

>muh solid construction
HARD nope. If you want Hanna Barbera/flash toons levels of consistency then stick to live action. Flexibility in animation is part of the beauty of it.

>10's worse than 90's or 00's but better than 80's
Generally correct.

Hilda is competently animated. The scene does what it's supposed to do. It's not a zany madcap chase scene, it's two kids arguing in a bedroom. I see nothing to shit on.

OK KO is animated by morons who are trying way too hard to do things that they are not talented enough to do. The timing is totally off and nothing gives off the zany energy it's obviously intended to. Watch Kill La Kill or Luluco or LWA to see what OK KO is trying to do, except done right.

It's wacky, but I don't know if I'd call it particularly funny. Then again I prefer SU's style of humor when it comes to that circle of cartoons. Ian loves his zany toons.

Lich should have been handled better

Representation in media doesn't matter.

What else should we be talking about? Don't say comics.

People speak fondly of all of those.

Elaborate

>Lion King etc. suck
Wrong.

>Early AT is bad
Wrong.

>Superheroes suck
They are fine we are just oversaturated.

>cartoons are too safe
Agreed

>dreamworks sucks
Half agree.

Pretty much agree. One of the best in terms of animation.

Yeah I agree with this

It’s just like Problem Sleuth/early Homestuck. If things stick to their roots, they would stay good, but unremarkable. But growth is needed if you want to be seen above the canopy. You just have to decide if you want to take the very likely risk of snapping under the weight.

OK KO outmatches Trigger aesthetically.

>Higher framerates look better
Wasn't Disenchanted done at a higher frame rate? I would say its frame rate was partially to blame as to why the whole show looked super low energy.
youtube.com/watch?v=GcRbP5UQp14

that means you're opinion is just as shit as his

He's contradicting himself. On the one hand claiming realism is overrated and on the other hand defending the most restrictive and visually uninteresting practice in animation to make it more realistic.

I said it before and I'll say it again; it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY make things better, but at a low framerate has a cap on how good it can look that a high framerate does not

Natural =/= realistic

That cap is lower than you think.

They arrn't doing the same things though
>it's two kids arguing in a bedroom. I see nothing to shit on.
Look at the animation user, it's lifeless

He lacks the imagination to make that visually interesting. To him the extra effort is a waste.

>Don't say comics.
Brother even newspaper funnies like Garfield and Heathcliff are better than shit like Loud House or that Dreamworks 2D crap

Don't pretend like that's a reasonable position.

I don't need to pretend, because it's true. Have you listened to the voice acting in the shit I mentioned?

I'm not going to entertain your ridiculousness. I don't even like Loudhouse but it's not garfield.

>I don't even like Loudhouse but it's not garfield.
Damn right it isn't. Garfield has had at least one (1) good joke in 40 years, more than I can say for LH

People need to stop treating their opinions as facts.

Arguing about opinions doesnot mean you're treating them as facts
People need to stop trying to shut down discussion

This

>Arguing about opinions doesnot mean you're treating them as facts

Which is not what the statement says.

It's totally unnecessary. It's supposed to be a grounded scene. What do you need them to make wacky ooga booga faces at each other? How autistic are you?

>two girls arguing with human facial expressions instead of absurdly deformed ones is OBJECTIVELY WRONG and BAD ANIMATION

Let me guess, big fans of John K?

>No one talks about EEnE now.
stopped reading there. weak bait.

KOfags are somehow more annoying and delusional than SUfags

Gravity Falls was an amazing kids show, but is only so-so if you're an adult

Comics, and only comics.

I think people were just tired of the whole CN Real stuff

Retard

>two girls arguing with human facial expressions
I said animation, not expressions.

And sure, John K has done some pretty good stuff.
>bait
Sarcasm. You're literally agreeing with me. Read the post and use your brain, it's obviously sardonic.

shut the fuck up

>it's sarcasm!!! please read my entire boring post!!!!

Attached: 1555508663753.png (808x486, 351K)

>Elaborate

Reccardi's strengths as an animator work better for a pure comedy show like this (and people only wanted Modifyers greenlit is because MUH WAIFU)

youtube.com/watch?v=6TKV4vbe04U

Is this what being retarded looks like?

Attached: 1457113670022.gif (443x250, 3.66M)

>Pixar hasn't made a good movie since Toy Story 1
>The Incredibles is garbage and looks worst than animated movies that came before it
>into the Spiderverse is really overrated but still okay.
>guardians 2 is pleb filter
>ed edd and Eddy is offensively bad in every capacity. Everything from the art style to the voice acting is atrocious

Attached: superhero movies and tv shows tier list-2.jpg (8230x5457, 3.59M)

It's concept and humour style were unique when it first started

>Avatar and the original Teen Titans only got popular because of insecurity of liking "kiddy" western cartoons

If it looks anything like this post then probably

Season 1a had some good episodes, but the characters weren't really fleshed out yet(it was still early in the show) and that affected how people view Steven's character to this day.Most of the disdain for Steven that some fans have comes from season 1a when he was useless.

The Homeworld arc was dragged out but it was a coherent storyline.

Rose Quartz being Pink Diamond was a good plot twist and most people should have seen it coming. Whenever a character is hyped up to be perfect and the ultimate good guy,95% of the time they are evil or at least partially responsible for the current problems the protagonist faces.

SU gradually revealed Rose's flaws and all of the inconsistencies surrounding her throughout the show and revealed the truth. Most shows would just suddenly have Rose be revealed to be PD without hinting or build up.

>favorite film tier
you can't just say whatever you want then "tier"

Also this needs defined lines between the levels and the tiers need more pronounced text than the extra details about some of the shows.
Also some of the spacing is awkward like uou were half going for a pyramid then had a seizure

>>ed edd and Eddy is offensively bad in every capacity. Everything from the art style to the voice acting is atrocious
bait
>>Pixar hasn't made a good movie since Toy Story 1
bait

People claim that they want character development and consequences in their cartoons but always wind up complaining when characters get developed or suffer the consequences of their own bad decisions.

'Unpopular' character gets development or a power up and starts contributing to the plot? Yea Forums cries Mary Sue or whines that their favorite character is getting shafted.

Hero makes a bad decision and things go horribly wrong? Yea Forums insists that the character was always bad or is 'ruined forever'.

A competent character is NOT a Mary Sue. Everytime a character doesn't go full retard, people start screeching about plot armor and Mary Sues.

what are examples of that user

cutesy shit is overrated

>but the characters weren't really fleshed out yet
The characters had more well-defined personalities in Season 1A.
In the later seasons they do whatever they need to do to push the show into the next contrived conflict or for the sake of random angst.
>The Homeworld arc was dragged out but it was a coherent storyline.
There was a giant gem monster growing in the earth and Rose and Pearl either didn't know or didn't care
They spent an entire season on it just so it could cameo once later.
Steven talks the two big bads into being good guys
The entire story could be summarized in a paragraph without losing any detail
Seriously what the fuck is interesting about it, it's not unique, not particularly exciting, it's never really much of a challenge solving any of the problems they throw out, even a shitty side character no one likes some how becomes a pirate captain or some shit and a threat to their galactic empire. Whatever reason homeworld has to care about Earth makes absolutely no sense. Why the fuck does Yellow Diamond zap the lawyer except as a red herring
>Rose Quartz being Pink Diamond was a good plot twist and most people should have seen it coming
Literally everyone did, that doesn't make it good. It add literally nothing to the show. Why did Pearl even care about stuff like not knowing about Lion when she was the only fucking one who knew about the Pink Diamond secret. Why did she spend 6 seasons keeping it a secret as the cost of her friends, and Steven's (PD's) safety. It was boring, a twist simply for the sake of having a twist
>Most shows would just suddenly have Rose be revealed to be PD without hinting or build up.
No they wouldn't. You can't pretend other shows are bad to make SU seem good. This is basic.
What the fuck was the point of the powerful artifacts and temples and actually interesting set pieces we got in Season 1A when fucking homeworld was just going to blow up the planet after Rose finished using it as her playgrnd

>people claim that they want character development and consequences in their cartoons but always wind up complaining when characters get developed or suffer the consequences of their own bad decisions.
A few people claim they want that. And even those that do don't say "I want development that makes characters less likeable or compelling." You can't just do bad character development then say "you asked for character development."
If I ask for a sandwich and you give me a chicken sandwich made of feces just because you did what I asked doesn't mean I have to like it. These aren't fucking genie rules, do it right.

We're not done with Pink Diamond or Rose if Rebecca is to be believed, so that's exciting.

Keep it SU related: There was a recent episode where Connie, who is a levelheaded person to counter Steven's almost naive optimism urged him to dance at a Homeworld ball. Now, they were there on a diplomatic mission and Steven is a Diamond, so there wasn't really anything wrong with this apart from the fact they accidentally fused and got themselves landed in gem jail or whatever. The problem with this is that a certain subset of fans tried to make it out that Connie had been written as OOC, as if the plot suddenly had her and the other gems (who jumped in to defend them, not to attack) stupid for the sake of it. This completely ignores all of Connie's character development over the course of the series from being a shy, timid mouse of a character to a really confident and rebellious person. It also ignores Pearl's character development, Garnet's love of Steven and Connie and Amethyst's general outgoing nature. The 11 minute episode format does SU's writing no favors, but this is an instance of, like said of being OOC or it being "forced drama". Basically "it's bad because I said it's bad", even though that's contradicted by the canon.

I'm not familiar with SU so continue on

Most stories can be summarized into one paragraph or even a fucking sentence without losing detail.

>There is an evil ring, they throw it in the volcano and now everything is OK.

There, that's LOTR.

That's fine, I just have more space in my head for useless information than most.

>without losing detail
You're being dishonest if you're pretending that's all the important parts of LOTR

Attached: 946efa9405ac34278727ac814bfa6415.png (785x423, 23K)

I'm not pretending other shows are bad, there have been several examples of a 'good' character suddenly being revealed to be an evil mastermind with no build up in comics, cartoons and anime.

far fewer than the ones that did the basic idea of hinting at it before, and far fewer than the ones that actually did it with a hint of subtlety

Don't mind him, we get those types in /sug/ from time to time. The louder they are, the less their arguments hold water.

Real Mary Sues are a bigger problem than false Mary Sues.

go back there

Usually character development made a character less likable it was because that character was flawed to begin with and fans never noticed(or noticed and ignored the flaws because they liked the character).

Usually there are hints of a character being flawed, then the writers bring the flaws to the forefront in order for the character to overcome their flaws. The problem is that certain writers forget to have the characters overcome their flaws.

>It was a huge disappointment compared to IW.
>The should've used Back To The Future's rules for time travel
>The stakes could have been higher like Tony losing his family due to time travel shenanigans
>Thanos is a generic bad guy now
>Captain Marvel is a piece of wood
>Tony figured out time travel WAY too fast
>Blatant nostalgia fest

That second one is pure brainlet fuel.

Examples of an unpopular character getting development and fans getting mad or a competent character that people insist is a Mary Sue.
What characters can be considered a real Mary Sue these days? Most of the so called 'Mary Sues' are not actual Sues.

The real problem is that the term 'Mary Sue' has lost all meaning and people twist it to justify their dislike of a character.

Rey from Star Wars has gotten where she's gotten without establishing herself as likable or going through enough hardship.

Goofy is a far better character than Mickey has ever been, which says a lot more about how good Goofy is than anything about Mickey Mouse.
Being pretentious isn't the same thing as being patrician
The best stories aren't the ones that try to be deep, meaningful or original, though none of those are disqualifying factors obviously.
There's some few acceptable cases of motion tweening or rigged animation, that just because you can post a few decent shows that use it in some scenes in limited context, and post a webm of a scene from the show that isn't actually using either, does not somehow mean it's not a visually abhorrent technique
IDW Sonic is better than Archie Sonic in every meaningful way
When people complain about pirating no one is talking about the people who read before buying, they're talking about the people who don't buy at all

>goofy better than mickey
Agree

>patrician and pretentious are not the same
Agree but plebs confuse the two often

>best stories don't try to be deep
Attempted seriousness or depth is not a plus or a minus

>motion tweening can be OK but is generally bad
Agree. It's never a positive but there is art through adversity (micky mouse shorts, wonder over yonder)

>comics
No comment

Goofy is absolutely based, both in Disney cartoons and Kingdom Hearts. People just like to dismiss it because he's dense (or, y'know...goofy).

Rey isn't very likable but I don't think she's a Mary Sue. The Last Jedi was basically about her arrogance leading to unexpected consequences and making thing worse.

Got a rough one for you Yea Forums:

there is no reason why Yea Forums should be comics AND cartoons. Unlike anime and manga, comics are not the basis for adaptation for the majority of cartoons, nor are they stylistically similar in artstyle and content. The demographics for both are completely separate and any crossover is incidental outside of superhero cartoons.

They're similar mediums

They are both non Japanese drawings. That's it.

Yeah, they use visual art in a sequential format to tell a story.

Ok. Nothing else connects them at all. There is no reason why Captain Marvel box office threads and I want to fuck the rabbit threads should be on the same board. It's just a carryover from Yea Forums.

I'd much rather watch ASM2 than Homecoming but that doesn't make it good.

>Captain Marvel box office threads
Well yeah, those belong on Yea Forums
>Ok. Nothing else connects them at all
Nothing else needs to. They're incredibly similar mediums

There should be more happily abusive relationships. I got cucked with Jaspis, and I don't want any more of that BS.

I'm not saying they where good, but they where still better than homecoming.

You haven't convinced me.

How so?

>not a single human being knows Dexter
user...

fake thread

>Not a single human being knows Dexter, Rocko, or Animaniacs even existed
Literally two of these got new material because of how remembered they are