Looking back, how the fuck did the fandom figure out the twist two years before it was actually confirmed...

Looking back, how the fuck did the fandom figure out the twist two years before it was actually confirmed, where they just that autistic?

Attached: 0_kXN1lvWb6-duO5el.png (1600x900, 1.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mhu28FvplwM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Eh it was kind of obvious.

>where they just that autistic

The license plate on Grunkle Stan's car had his real name on it since day one.

They wouldn't have put "stnlymbl" on his license plate for no reason.

Attached: Gravity_Falls_Stanmobile.png (406x283, 127K)

It wasn't, though. I thought it was so far-fetched that they pull something like this and didn't believe it. It was random and had no hints but it was still guessed. It had to be a leak or something

>It was random and had no hints but it was still guessed.
Not him, but it was pretty obvious. Main thing coming to mind right now was pic related with the glasses. As well as having a different nose shape like Dipper(points down) and Mabel(points up). Him having a twin brother was the only thing that made sense.

Attached: stan.png (307x225, 113K)

They also had that one episode that showed a closeup of the totem pole, and on top was very specifically 'Not Thunderbird but his younger brother that tries to impersonate him'. That kinda sealed the deal for me.

Attached: totem pole.png (1280x1382, 1.29M)

Yes, but also, there were a little of really clever hints dropped here and there. The final piece of the puzzle was really Carpet Diem since that put focus on the pair of glasses we had seem in Time Travelers Pig, drew attention to the differences between the 'Stan' we saw in the past and the present 'Stan', and established that those glasses held significant emotional/character importance given his reaction to them.

Deepest lore doods....

Fandom took a scattershot approach to figuring out the mysteries of the show. With how many theories were flying around at the time, it was inevitable that somebody would hit the mark.

Attached: anthyding can hadplen.jpg (500x333, 44K)

But the theory was pretty popular compared to others

Guys, guys, why are you leaving out this shot?

At the time, there was a 50/50 chance that this was either an animation error or an intentional detail. But the fact that the only background character resembling Stan had his face covered made the latter seem ever more likely.

Attached: God, the buildup and theorizing was fun as hell.png (977x718, 767K)

According to Hirsch, you can't beat a thousands of people who can spend an hour thinking about your show every day and then telling everyone else their theory

It was alluded something along that nature was up with the wax dummy episode, where stan flips out when he sees mabels stan wax dummy.

Was Hirsch a channer?

you tell me

Attached: McGucket Prank.jpg (727x421, 49K)

A shitposter, too.

Attached: brilliant.jpg (795x595, 59K)

Soiboi face

I wonder how much other creators do this?

this was honestly based and i completely fell for it.

not everyone autistically reads theory posts. some people just...watch the show

I've heard of creators telling people straight up lies in Q&As and such, but I've never seen another creator go as far as make a fake screenshot to take a shitty picture of and upload it.

Alex was too good to us

Attached: Cipher Hunt.jpg (1582x2048, 1017K)

When you can freezeframe cartoons a lot of the subtle hints and soft allusions stand out way more.

They threw up so many different theories, one of them was bound to get it.

>had his face covered
Not just his face, but his hands were also concealed with boxing gloves, supporting the theory that he could also be the six fingered author of the journals. Which it turned out he was.

I don't know, but he always seemed to be pretty relaxed about the weirder parts of internet fandom, which makes him generally ok in my book.

Attached: weird fanart is ok guys.jpg (896x1280, 142K)

based

Attached: dat Flapjack poster, tho.png (276x173, 100K)

He used to be so fucking based. He let those California crybaby boarders get to him.

him and a lot of the other people who got to lead their own shows in the last decade or so, for example Ian JQ used to draw for Yea Forums occasionally

Man, him and Justin Roiland used to be great. Now you couldn't tell them apart from your atypical 19-year old girl Tumblr user with pink or blue hair.

At least Ian JQ has remained a jokester.

Attached: 253534.png (612x1320, 609K)

>He let those California crybaby boarders get to him
Imagine unironically thinking this. Every one of Hirsch's political Tweets just gets Yea Forums all riled up because the guy states common fucking sense. Grow up.

Attached: Grunkle Pumpkin.jpg (1280x879, 258K)

addendum

Attached: THE THUNDERBIRD WAS IN THE BASEMENT.png (500x353, 245K)

I wasn't browsing this place at the time of "Gideon Rises." How did Yea Forums react to the Season 1 finale?

youtube.com/watch?v=Mhu28FvplwM

Attached: Finally... I have the mall.png (1366x768, 443K)

Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that the Weirdmageddon was better than Endgame?

Attached: happy ending.jpg (1024x581, 47K)

I enjoyed it, but I was just a casual watcher. I didn’t understand all the people getting mad or talking about unreached potential.

I kind of get it now but the last few episodes got to end on the creator’s terms, so whatever.

We were fucking hype because at that time, Gravity Falls was still an adventure/mystery show
Rather than a romance/comedy

>the last few episodes got to end on the creator’s terms, so whatever

Attached: Jack's mom was fucking hot, tho.png (1400x788, 352K)

Exactly. Like Samurai Jack, Gravity Falls got to end in the creator's vision.

Attached: Episode CI.jpg (1024x559, 68K)

The only problem with Weirdmageddon was how easily Stan got his memory back.

With Samurai Jack, I feel like the creator had a lot more he wanted to do, but was only given the resources for 10 episodes.

No fuck that. The last season of Samurai Jack is what happens when the creator has no push back or someone to tell him “that doesn’t make sense.” It’s Genndy’s Star Wars prequel trilogy. I almost wish it didn’t exist.

Are you trolling? It was blatantly obvious, right down to Stan's car's plates saying STANLEY mobile. That had to be animated in, it was clear he wasn't Stanford.

I personally enjoyed Season 5 up until the last 2-3 episodes of the season. That’s when it went south and lead to the show going out in a weak puff of smoke.

Attached: 336FE075-73A6-4FF6-92BB-44441754B57C.jpg (1136x640, 44K)

I can generally see why Hirsch made the decisions he made for the end of the series even if I didn't like all of them. The last part of S2 wasn't as good as the rest of the series, but it wasn't nearly as bad as anons here make it out to be.

Attached: CyWjA_zVIAARZ-g.png (698x395, 249K)

You seem like you actually have a reasonable argument to make. What did YOU not like about Season 2B?

Attached: 213C466E-AC2B-4746-A34C-4C6FB1CD8918.png (2048x1144, 857K)

come on pal the clues where all over the place

Her skirt is incredibly wind resistant.

That was a pretty epic shot. Gravity Falls was always great at staging during intense sequences. The crew really tried to make it feel as cinematic as possible.

Attached: DA4AEE72-D644-4C23-90C2-9F7781DD231E.png (1920x1080, 2.39M)

Guillermo del Toro liked it. Good enough for me

Ah, shit. Is this thread gonna get fucked in the ass with Endgame spoilers, too? Can’t this board respect a guy who hasn’t seen it yet?

Attached: 2C6CAEBD-B725-483C-8528-4386F74CC047.jpg (639x480, 24K)

I'm sure somebody who has actually studied writing could phrase this better, but I felt that after the show's driving mystery was revealed in Not What He Seems, the plot had to be rushed to a conclusion to prevent it from stagnating. A lot of character development, filler and plot were rolled up into that last quarter and it came off as less well thought out as a result of being rushed. I don't know if giving that material some breathing room would solve the problem, especially since I'm not sure Bill is a compelling enough mystery to drive an entire season's worth of episodes. But it would have been nice, for one example, to have Ford's character arc occur within the show instead of a supplemental book released months months after the finale aired.

Attached: 30 years and now hes back.jpg (503x810, 126K)

>i have no idea how things got this way

HAHAHAHAHAAH
HAHAHAAHHAHAHA
HA
HA
HA

Attached: 1538008050217.jpg (502x975, 229K)

It's been in theaters for almost two weeks, and there's been decent copies to torrent for over a week. If you wanted to see it, you would have seen it by now.

nice

all I remembered is that he endorsed some nigger dem politician back in election time, outside of that he doesn't tweet that much about politics. If you think anybody who studied at calarts isn't a libcuck I don't know what to tell you

Difference is Hirsch never put his politics in his work which has ruined star and SU, though if the show kept going he would've ruined it

The issue is that episode 5 through the finale are on-par qualitywise with the majority of Samurai Jack, the first three episodes are massive outliers in quality and are probably the best episodes in the entire series.

>Difference is Hirsch never put his politics in his work
There's a reason why Mabel was wearing a rainbow sweater in Love God. Hirsch also wanted to include Cupid bringing to women together, but Disney wouldn't let him.

> putting a rainbow sweater on a character is politics
wut?

Couple that with the part you left off to get the full context.

Attached: c5debf23b7f67fdd635d337c2aec3fef.jpg (640x388, 40K)

>Didn't put his politics into it
>Episode where Dipper flirts with girls and is treated like he's Harvey Weinstein
Pick one.

Ranbow like... You know... The gay pride flag?

Gay people can have all kinds of politics.

Absolutely true, but deciding to support gay people in their fight for recognition is a political statement.
And just to clarify I don't think that's a bad political opinion to have, or that there shouldn't be political messages in media/entertainment.

I hope it's as apolitical as supporting people with freckles having rights someday.

t.Shitface

Looking back, it's kinda hard to believe the gang went through Stan's mind and never stumbled upon any Ford memories.

Also, Stanley's character design timeline became janky as fuck with him being a nerd at first, then a jock, then a teenage nerd and finally a teenage jock.

His nerdiness established in Dreamscaperers really doesn't fit with his jockiness from A Tale of Two Stans.

Attached: S1e19_stan_punch.png (1280x720, 663K)

Isn't he very much anti-Pinecest?

It was a pretty bland finale scenario, to be honest. Just your typical end-of-the-world scenario with character designs that should've stayed on DeviantArt.
It's essentially a weaker version of the Mystery Inc. finale.

>It’s Genndy’s Star Wars prequel trilogy
At least, episodes 4-10 are. ESPECIALLY the last two.

Really felt like 90% of quality writing of this show was stuck in this one episode.

>I'm not sure Bill is a compelling enough mystery to drive an entire season's worth of episodes
Yeah, that twerp was pretty lackluster. Just another Mister Mxyzptlk. Maybe he would've been more tolerable if he had a real voice actor. Apparently Hirsch wanted David Lynch to voice him but Lynch was like "Fuck that shit."

At least they can't have offspring.

Well if people were drawing proxy representations of you and your sister banging, wouldn’t you be creeped out by it.

Cotugno!!

Attached: FBCE8562-F5E2-48B3-A843-354F1D759EE3.jpg (500x375, 23K)

Alex probably only had a vague idea of how he was going to execute the reveal of the Stan Twins back in Season 1.

Attached: E160D562-DBAA-4FE0-ACC0-7E5A86A1529D.png (538x597, 464K)

Jesus FUCK

>tfw you correctly predicted dipper’s real name

What did Yea Forums think about the protagonist’s name back when Gravity Falls first started (before “Double Dipper”)?

Attached: D06C2CC3-40BF-42E5-8EF1-E82C5DDD263B.jpg (443x635, 55K)

>implying Mabel isn’t the protagonist

Attached: 216BB61C-61CC-4DA5-86AA-44605FA5EB2C.jpg (1161x1473, 422K)

I would but then I wouldn't go about telling people to draw whatever and that feeling otherwise is silly and censorship.

>were they just that autistic?
Nope, it was written by a hack.

Next question.

>tfw the Stan Twin theory and the Garnet Fusion theory were officially confirmed in the same week
March 9th-12th was a fucking rollercoaster

Attached: 119C2C07-6664-4B7A-BBB5-6167CF20E982.jpg (236x183, 13K)

>Alex is a HACK
End this meme already

My favorite retarded theory about Dipper's real name was "Stanley." The idea was that Grunkle Stan's license plate "STNLYMBL" was short for "Stanley and Mable." I thought it was cute, even if it was obviously not true.

Attached: 1537235751244.jpg (474x484, 47K)

I know Justin Roland came her anonymously once and started to shit talk his own show saying how stupid the little squiggley eye pupils looked.

>I have no idea how things got this way
They got that way by listening and taking little pre-teen girls seriously.

I was really hoping for Douglas.

>End this meme already
Perhaps if your next show is good then the meme will end.

wait whats his real name again

Mason.

what the fuck

The thing that always bothered me the most about Gravity Falls was that despite the fact that one of the ESSENTIAL CORE PLOT ELEMENTS of the series concerned a character having six fingers, the protagonists all use the ye olde disney convention of four fingered hands.
For a show that put incredible effort into planting visual clues about characters, future plots and backstory lore in every episode, from unique looking glasses to hidden text - this is a really embarrassing bit of lazy, inconsistent design.

Attached: dipster.png (506x402, 304K)

Get it? Like the Stonemasons. It's like, mystery-related and stuff.

but when I pitch my OC character "Zionist Oligarchy 'orion's belt' Treecone" I'm told to leave the premises

>the character designers thought that some characters looked better with five fingers and some looked better with four
It wasn’t laziness on their part. They just sacrificed overall design consistency for each character’s own visual appeal. And this didn’t really affect the story since in the end, Ford was still the only person with six fingers.

Attached: 69687483-E49C-4455-BEB0-8C105EFF12FD.gif (350x197, 753K)

It takes place in an alternative universe where four and five fingered people are like two separate eye colors and six fingered polydactyly is still really unusual but it heralds from the same unusual hox gene.

Either that or it’s a cartoon and you aren’t supposed to think about it.

I don't really remember the internet "blowing up" about that though. There was a few threads after where people expressed disappointment that the Ponyhead of Gravity Falls was the author, but a lot of posts were calling it fake too. I remember specifically people were wary of screencaps like that after the "Aang is Amon" bullshot.

I think Alex just wanted to stick it to Yea Forums because of /gfg/ starting things like the manlet meme which he no doubt about heard from Manzi.

>just turn you're brain off bro!

Attached: 1391228256300.png (239x238, 82K)

>turning your brain off
>coming up with a goofy scifi explanation
Well Satan, I’m just keeping myself open to fun.

We knew that Stan needed to have at least one brother. Otherwise he would have a different last name.

Or sister.

Did Journal 3 say anything about Shermy?

Attached: B77DCA5C-351F-4A00-B312-48E9355A2574.gif (250x250, 244K)

>A fan theory I watched on YouTube actually ended up being true

This was the most mind blowing part. Made the regret of having watched so many fan theories disappear

Attached: 1534214016425.gif (270x216, 25K)

>Victor and Valentino’s only accomplishment was making a hotter Wendy

Attached: 531DE910-3808-40BF-B44B-ECEB02C04DCC.png (2795x1230, 3.26M)

No but his girlfriend was a /cgl/ regular, and she spent a lot of time in the Yea Forums threads before they broke up

Why is Xochi so fucking hot, bros?

Attached: 277E8B5E-F216-410F-BCE6-B27F44FF1CCF.jpg (1280x548, 124K)

Who is Cotugno?

This person, Sabrina Cotugno. She's the current director of Star vs. and LGBT representation is kind of her signature.

Attached: Sabrina_Cotugno_profile.jpg (500x600, 166K)

>Stanford/Stanley
>Mabel/Mason
It was fucking obvious.

>current director of Star vs.
Boy, that shit's OVER

Attached: Girls_Laughing.png (800x800, 182K)

Spoilers, ASSHOLE! I haven't gotten that far in the show yet

The only valid complaints were Steven universe and Star vs. the rest are stretches with the smiley face

>birthing hips
>fat ass
>big ol’ tiddies
>badass, no-bullshit, authoritarian attitude
>Latina!!
>voiced by Cristina Vee
Wendy Corduroy ain’t shit.

Attached: AE735701-7D4B-4D45-9E58-05B9F48AA8F0.jpg (1536x2048, 690K)

Which twin is your favorite?

Attached: 59016097_p26_master1200.jpg (950x648, 224K)

Whichever one is most down for some incest

Shmipper

Attached: C63190DA-2B31-4004-A546-CBADD7250152.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Just because they didn't lampshade it, it doesn't mean it didn't affect the storytelling.
They had to break their own artstyle rule just for young Stanley because it would be retarded if he had 4 fingers while his brother had 6.

>Casually shitpost on Yea Forums
>Specially makes autistic codes for his autistic fans in Yea Forums
How do I do to be as based as him

Attached: is there nothing you can't do.png (445x494, 388K)

Paperjam

Attached: Paper_Jam_Dipper.png (959x539, 388K)

You got me there. They definitely had to break the rules for Stanley since he’d be paired up in scenes with Stanford. If that weren’t the case, Young Stanley definitely would’ve gone the Dipper & Mabel route with just four fingers.

The crew was forced to break their own rule, but that didn’t affect the storytelling. Ford was still the only person in the world with six fingers. The audience can live without fretting over other characters’ finger counts. It really isn’t a big deal.

Attached: 328BAFD0-96A3-4630-963D-6C6E5B3A14AE.gif (500x281, 1.21M)

Five fingers looks perfectly natural on a kid's hand in this artstyle so I don't know why the artists thought they didn't.

What other “CalArts-style” shows had characters with five fingers? I can only remember Clarence and Talk No Jutsu right now.

Attached: C804080B-64BD-4344-8A01-399AF0471F42.gif (500x279, 1.02M)

I remember Ian JQ actually posted a screenshot from his own twitter in a Ghoul School thread I started last October, basically confirming he still shitposts here

>watched Gravity Falls a shit ton when it came out
>had to resort to streaming it when I got busy at school
>just now realized I've never actually seen the finale

Homestuck managed to do it, so it all depends on how you're delivering the story (though it's not like he was fully free to do whatever he wants with the show on tv, not to mention it's Disney and they like to keep things very simple and clean)