Must read comics in Yea Forums opinion ?

(similar to this)

Attached: c-chart.jpg (2292x2700, 2.45M)

That's a lot of comics. It can be daunting to see so many at once, you might find yourself paralyzed by all the choices. Here's a smaller list to get you started.

Attached: 1527553525213.jpg (1946x1660, 781K)

Yea Forums needs a Yea Forums - core chart akin to what mu has. This board is in sore need of an identity. The denizens of Yea Forums bitch all about how they hate "capeshit" but they never offer any alternatives.

Independent Superheroes
Watchmen
Mark Millar's Authority
Enigma

Science Fiction
Nemesis the Warlock
Ex Machina
Invisibles
Sebastian O
The Etraunaut

Fantasy
Cerebus
Fables
Prince Valiant
Preacher

Horror
Locke and Key
Uzumaki
Black Hole

Anthologies
Solo

Crime
Allack Sinner
The Fade Out
Kill My Mother
Death Note

DC

Legion of Superheroes 5 Years Later
Animal Man (Delano)
Kingdom Come
Books of Magic (Gaiman)
Batman Incorporated
Wonder Woman Earth One (vol 1)
Swamp Thing (Moore)
Joker (Azzarello)
Sandman (Gaiman)
Batman White Knight

Marvel
Wolverine (Claremont, Miller)
X Men (Morrison)
Electra Lives Again
Alias (Bendis)
Ultimates (Millar)

Miscellaneous
Love and Rockets (Gilbert Hernandez)
Shadowland
Beauty
Paying for It
The New Adventures of Hitler
Breakdowns (Spiegelman)
The Last Temptation
Cages
Why I Hate Saturn
A Jew in Communist Prague
Little Tulip
Frank
Icehaven
The Cowboy Wally Show
Road to Perdition
Bottomless Belly Button
King of the Flies
A Drifting Life
The Boondocks
Mr. Punch

A lot of the items people would put on this list are missing because:
A. I think they do not deserve the acclaim that they enjoy: (most of Alan Moore, Daniel Clowes, Jaime Hernandez, Frank Miller, Warren Ellis's work)
B. I respect these comics, but I don't "get" them or appreciate them as some do:
(All of Chris Ware, Harvey Pekar, Jack Kirby's work)
C. I haven't read these comics
D. I liked them, but I haven't read them in a long time to be accurate:
(Hello Spirit, All Star Superman, and Peanuts)

>Watchmen
>Mark Millar's Authority

>independent
What did he mean by this?

When I consider Watchmen and The Authority to be Independent, I do not insinuate they are not published by the big 2, as they are, but that they do not reside in either of the Marvel or DC universes. While both franchises were later integrated into the wider DC Universe, this was done after those respective runs were published.

This thread proves you wrong, but I'm sure that you'll find a way to ignore the compelling evidence.

Then you should find another word.

It use something like standalone or not bound by continuity or something akin

Well, he's not right, but he's not completely wrong. OP's chart is indeed quite useless and needs a lot of reorganizing and some reordering it's painful to navigate as it is
That one is nice but really short

I didn't it weird that you did not put road to Perdition in crime?
Stray Bullets and Criminal should be in everyone's crime comics list. It's like making a list of capeshit without Watchmen and Miracleman.

>Joker
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Attached: tumblr_m48duqzw8Y1rpok63o1_1280.jpg (1280x849, 291K)

Very rarely are there any comics that are must read. Look at that list of OP's. It's full of pulp, sci fi, fantasy and capeshit.

The chart has quite a few good ones like Judge Dredd, Mouse Guard, and Hellboy, a lot of trash, but still a decent starting place. How doea digital justice even get here, it's not something that's "smart" it doesn't look good, it doesn't do anything particularly well.
Charts like that are never going to going to illustrate accurately the taste of a board filled with people who argue about every single thing they can imagine to argue about. Charts in general have a tendency to attempt to be the most obscure and pretentious as possible, filled with things most people don't actually like, or even read in a lot of cases. Most people on Yea Forums don't even hate capeshit, it is by far the most popular media on the board without even considering MCU.

I made that list a long time ago. At that time, I had not read Stray Bullets. I must agree with you, however, that it absolutely deserves to be on that list. Also, Road to Peridition absolutely is a crime comic as it deals with the mob.

The two threads posted at the time I made that comment were not representative of Yea Forums itself. No matter what the average Yea Forums poster thinks of Loveless or In The Court of The Crimson King, those albums are frequently the subject of conversation on that board. In contrast, no one on Yea Forums talks about those comics on the "comic book sampler". I have never seen a single thread dedicated to Will Eisner's A Contract with God or the Hernandez Brothers' Love and Rockets.

*I meant charts not thread. D'oh!

Yea Forums is awful and these charts have always been retarded.

This is an old and outdated webcomic recommendation chart.

Attached: co webcomic recs.jpg (2784x2568, 2.53M)

But you're still wrong because the people who "bitch all about how they hate 'capeshit'" are offering alternatives, even if nobody reads those alternatives.

What alternatives are you referring to? I'm genuinely curious. Oh sure there may be some poster here or there who talks about Cerebus or 2000Ad in a thread, but the ratio between people expressing their hatred of superhero comics to expressing other genres of comic books that they enjoy is extremely lopsided.

Thank you for moving the goalposts. First you were claiming that it "never" happens, now you're claiming that it doesn't happen often enough.

The reason for that is that most people reading non-cape "comics" are reading manga, which isn't a Yea Forums topic by virtue of being japanese, so you're left with the tiny handful of guys who read obscure indie stuff or euro comics. The moment you count manga cape comics are instantly overshadowed in both volume and popularity, even in their home markets

You are nitpicking here. I am not changing my stance. It is obvious that I was being making hyperbolic generalizations in my first post.

Those sure were some prophetic words:
>This thread proves you wrong, but I'm sure that you'll find a way to ignore the compelling evidence.

So, which comics would you like to see on a shit you should absolutely read list?

I'm considering at least making a template.

American Splendor, Cerebus the Aardvark, Herbie Popnecker and Love & Rockets.

I call it The "Alan Moore thinks you're a filthy plebeian casual if you haven't read these comics" Tetrad.

It would be cool to have more Manga discussion on Yea Forums

There's no real comics you should absolutely read, just read different stuff until you find something you like. You don't need to read stuff just because you don't want to be called a casual. Just hop in storytime threads occasionally and you'll find something you like, then you can download the full run and have a good time. Maybe in some threads you'll spot a cover or two that seem interesting. Maybe just a name and a link in a win 'o' thread. Maybe a character you saw in a DCAU or MCU film/cartoon. Or a picture from an Image Preview that looks interesting. A shelf at your LCS. The backlog of something you picked up at FCBD, the comic adaption of a show/game you like

The best things you'll find will never come from a chart created by a bunch of people on an anonymous image board with different taste than you who are all trying to seem patrician for the approval of people they don't know
Go to Yea Forums. Manga goes on Yea Forums. Manga threads are off-topic on Yea Forums

But Yea Forums is only interested in shounen and waifus.

You think it'd be different if you talked about it on Yea Forums?
Start discussions about what you like there, and whatever reaction you'd get would probably be the same on Yea Forums but slower and with a few less anime girl reaction images

I know it's outdated but O Human Star and Paranatural need to be taken off of this list. They both degraded into sjw bait and are far past their prime.

My purpose isn't to make someone less of a pleb, it's to recommend them something that there's a good chance they'll enjoy. A possible nudge in the right direction.

Well there's a shitton of comics that people are likely to enjoy. The number is higher than you can count.

What are the criteria making a comic special enough for you to include it? What are the criteria making a comic unspecial enough for you to exclude it?

I know. That's why I'm making a list to streamline the entire ordeal.

There really aren't any so far. We'll just have to make it up as we go along. It doesn't have to be special, really. It'd be hard to make this huge general list though. I'm considering something an individual list for Marvel, DC, Vertigo, fantasy, comedy, horror, author, character, etc. Or just making my own personal list.

Or just making a template so user can make their own personal lists.

It's a well know fact that Yea Forums doesn't talk about good comics.

What about Little Lulu?

Do you stop after 10 comics? 100 comics? 1000 comics? There's 160 comics in the OP and it's a bit of a mess. How do you keep your list small enough to make sure that it isn't a mess?

>There's 160 comics in the OP and it's a bit of a mess. How do you keep your list small enough to make sure that it isn't a mess?

I know, hence
>It'd be hard to make this huge general list though. I'm considering something an individual list for Marvel, DC, Vertigo, fantasy, comedy, horror, author, character, etc.

And how long are you going to make these individual lists? Do you think there's less than 160 good Marvel comics, less than 160 good DC/Vertigo comics, less than 160 good fantasy comics, and so on?

I'd go with a template. Personal favorites are much more worth talking about

I guess it would depend on the suggestions. IDK if Yea Forums could list 160 "good" comics from either company, genre, etc. that they'd recommend to someone who's relatively new to comics. And if they did, there's always Strawpoll to help narrow it down.

I'd probably keep it below 50 titles on each list. Again, this would depend on what the theme for each list would be. It would probably be hard for something like a list for each individual character/group to exceed even 20 titles.

Yeah, I'll probably just make the template in form of a .jpg and .psd.

yo Yea Forums I just finished watching the Deadly Class series and I started to read the comic, Im only 3 issues in but Im thinking of droping it, I feel like the dialogue and characters are better placed in the show. does it get better?

Attached: deadly-class-tome-4.jpg (1200x1859, 159K)

>IDK if Yea Forums could list 160 "good" comics from either company
So that's my problem with what you're doing. I think you're underestimating the number of good comics in existence.

Unless you make a list with a clear, specific goal in mind, your list will either be woefully limited (missing a shitton of good comics), or you'll never finish the list at all (because you'll burn out).

I'm a little unusual in this regard, but I personally don't recommend anything written by Rick Remender at all. Maybe Uncanny X-Force, except that I think it was carried by the primary artist, Jerome Opena.

House of Mystery stopped being a horror comic almost as fast as Sandman did.

Attached: Comics that co is willing to read.jpg (1600x1700, 937K)

comics and strips: red
manga: orange
but I feel the strip one is cheating because there's more than one abstract cartoonist on my country's biggest newspaper

>So that's my problem with what you're doing. I think you're underestimating the number of good comics in existence.
>...that they'd recommend to someone who's relatively new to comics. And if they did, there's always Strawpoll to help narrow it down.

>Unless you make a list with a clear, specific goal in mind
>I'm considering something an individual list for Marvel, DC, Vertigo, fantasy, comedy, horror, author, character, etc.

Don't use it to measure what you've read in your entire lifetime. Use it to measure what you've read in the last month.

That's not a clear specific goal. A list of good Marvel comics, that you can recommend to someone new to comics? You can easily break 250. If you force yourself to go down to 50, then that's 200 (or more) good comics that you're just throwing out the window for no good reason. What a sad list that'll be.

Cowboy Henk?

I feel like this would need to boil down to either "Normie starter pack" or "Best of Genre"

I'm implying that I'm obviously working towards some more specific goals user .A Marvel list is just a possible example. The list would just be a jumping off point for someone new. It's just to present some comics they might like. There's nothing stopping them from just exploring on their own either. And this is also just me having fun.

It's a comic book list user. You're taking it way too serious.

This shit's ridiculous

Attached: 9ApkN.png (2400x2000, 357K)

Yeah, this is off-putting.

>It's a comic book list user. You're taking it way too serious.
Do it right or don't do it at all, IMO.

If Marvel has existed for 50 years (more, actually) and if they publish 50 comics per year (more if you include miniseries), then that's 2500 comics over their lifetime. If only 10% of those comics are good, then that's 250 good comics. Why make a list that excludes so many good comics?

The only lists you mentioned with clear specific goals are the author lists and character lists, though I'm curious to see which authors and which characters you think need lists (and don't already have them).

Infinite Crusade is okay, but the other cosmic stuff like The End or The Abyss were a bit better.

Here. He has also admitted to liking the works of Chester Brown, Peter Bagge, and Julie Doucet.

Attached: moore.png (674x7635, 2.51M)

It's clear that he likes some comics more than others. As far as I know, Harvey Pekar is the only author that Alan Moore fought to have a statue erected for.

Every single Jonah Hex comic is absolutely kino just ignore the movie

In this last month:
comics: orange
manga: orange

I'm doing neither because I tend to stick to a single "square" from time to time (right now I'm looking at older manga and western anthologies) + whatever I come across that's interesting.
It's not that I read a self-published mini-comic once, it's that I have a bunch and am willing to purchase more if they show up.

fuck, posted before I finished. Anyway:
still, if I stick by last month, I only read like, the volume 3 of those Fantagraphics EC Slipcases, Deadline, the Drifting Classroom and Morrison's DP (which I don't even count because ever since I got the omni I'll spend a whole weekend re-reading it every now and then)

The first 100 pages of it hurts the webcomic

I just picked up vol. 1, 2, and 3 of Hillbilly by Eric Powell and it hooked me immediately. I'm halfway through vol. 3 and each book is better than the last.

If you dislike comics so much why the fuck are you on this board?

>ridiculous
Off-putting

There are a lot of good things (I'm not say that image is composed of them) but there's no fucking way to make a small recommendation list, of anything, comics aren't even as old as some other mediums and a list that size couldn't even contain a fraction of the works worth reading.

Just pick something and read it, there's no other answer

>The only lists you mentioned with clear specific goals are the author lists and character lists, though I'm curious to see which authors and which characters you think need lists (and don't already have them).
Not him but are there a decent Doctor Fate and Doctor Doom list?

You can do it right without taking it seriously. But you're already condemning my attempt at making the list. You gotta remember that a lot of those comics have been lost throughout time user. Not that those numbers aren't completely arbitrary anyways. But hey, there's another idea for a list; 'Ye Olden, but Golden'. And again, the Marvel list is just one of the possible examples, thus far. And yet again, it's to streamline a process. It's to make something presentable and easy to digest. And it's not like this list would exist in a vacuum. It'd be really fun to make tons of specific lists in the form of individual images that would exist as parts of a very large compendium(a HUGE image list). But that would ultimately defeat the purpose.

Those weren't the only ones, but ok. And they're just examples anyways. Oh, there are plenty of lists(images) out there. Or at least there used to, but I haven't seen a lot of them about lately. I just wanna present them in my own format. A list for someone like Grant Morrison probably wouldn't hurt. Neither would a Captain Marvel list.

I called it off-putting because it's an actual wall of text. The amount of recommendations itself isn't necessarily the problem, it's the way it's presented.