Seething tryhard rival

>seething tryhard rival

Why is this character archetype so fucking good, Yea Forums?

Attached: 2c37e19c5afc8000b2fdb64f820b0a0f.jpg (959x1200, 191K)

Everyone likes the "evil parallel version of the hero" trope. Problem is that you can't really do it more than once or twice for a character before it gets played out.

Attached: 41B1O6HAp6L.jpg (500x500, 29K)

It's not. Bass sucks. And so do all other edgy rival characters. This trope is an even more autistic version of the prerequisite "evil twin" trope.

Sonic the Hedgehog did it 7 or 8 times!

I know Shadow, but what other evil Sonics are there?

Silver, Metal, Chaos, The Edgehog in the last sonic game the rest idk

The rival is an amazing trope that can be played with in numerous ways. Thats one of the wonderful reasons it is loved.
You can have
>Rival that becomes the love intrest
>Rival for a love intrest
>Rival that is the exact opposite to the protag
>Rival that is the same to the protag
>Rival with different goals with similar methods
>Rival with the same goals but different methods
It can literally save a story

Attached: Nero i am your father.jpg (176x287, 7K)

Does he count?

Attached: 01993.gif (650x450, 15K)

no

Vriska stole his gimmick and purpose.

Now he is just a joke character and shipping material.

It can be problem, like pretty much every other trope, when it's done to death with little to no variations to it. Shonen anime is easily the most guilty of this.

>Have an undertaped fan favorite on your hands.
>Twiddle your thumbs and take your time getting there, to the point that the comic dies before you can even introduce them.
Fuck Archie Mega Man.

Silver's evil? That's news to me!

More of a rival. Silver starts out as Sonics enemy but then be becoms an ally

Because it's engaging to see the heroine deal with a character who is her equal in ability, but her opposite in philosophy.

Take Artemis here. Diana is all about love and redemption and talking things out, but Arty is very much in favor of putting an arrow through an evil doer's face because fuck 'em. Classic optimism vs cynicism dynamic.

Attached: 775356-artemis_ww_color.jpg (278x400, 39K)

So knuckles 2.0

Knuckles
Metal Sonic
Shadow
Silver
Blaze is arguably a rival
Jet the Hawk
Fang/Nack

Sonic's had an absolute shit-ton of rivals now that I think about it

Metal and Jet are the only one's to consistently fall into this trope.
>Knuckles was never seething (in Sonic 3 the player was likely to be seething at Knuckles),
>Past SA2, Shadow never really took the rivalry with Sonic as anything more than bantz.
>Silver doesn't fall in at all in any capacity.
>Blaze just wanted to be left alone, doesn't count.
>Fang is just a regular rogue's gallery slot fill.

Attached: 1541949820295.jpg (480x360, 54K)

>Everyone likes the "evil parallel version of the hero" trope.

Hi, I'm Spider-Man, I only fight animal totems.
We're the X-Men and we mainly fight muties
Superman here... alien that protects the world from aliens.
Hm. Batman. I seem to fight a lot of psychopaths, not sure why.
Wonder Woman and I fight immortals, demigods and mythological monsters.
I'm Captain America and I fight tyranny and ideologues like the Hate Monger and the Red Skull!
I'm Doctor Strange... I take care of the magic stuff
Got a speedster to take out? Call me, the Flash!
I... am.... Iron Man! Also I take out corporate and technological threats.

I'm sure Yea Forums must have noticed this before.

Has there ever been an instance in cartoons and comics where the evil rival ends up as a better character than the MC?

Attached: VegetaMajinLittleTrunksBuuSaga.png (400x631, 369K)

I feel like there’s just something cool about two opposite characters who have a ‘close’ relationship with each other that involve opposing each other. Even if the rivals feel some degree of friendliness to the other, it’s still interesting because usually friends do everything together, and focus on helping each other, and they try to be equals. Meanwhile, rivals spend more time apart, when they’re together they compete, and they ultimate focus on trying to be better than the other.
There’s something thematically interesting about a character having a counterpart that is the other character’s opposite. In this instance, one character is heroic, and one’s edgy and is usually either morally gray or outright evil.
And in visually mediums, rival characters can be aesthetically pleasing because you can have contrasting character designs. Plus the two characters can be fan art bait, and artists can make drawings of them fighting or something.

Attached: tumblr_inline_pb556bkYqJ1t539qg_540.jpg (540x621, 83K)

It's not.