Did Thanos know about the events of Endgame in Infinity War? If not, how did he know who Tony was in Infinity War...

Did Thanos know about the events of Endgame in Infinity War? If not, how did he know who Tony was in Infinity War? What cursed him with knowledge?

Attached: 1543118896581.png (1125x1113, 2.47M)

I thought it was because Thanos used the Soul Stone to find out who he was, but the directors said Thanos knew about him since 2012 when they beat his Army.

I'd imagine Thanos would take notice into the person who destroyed his army back in 2012

Wut

He knew it was Iron Man personally who did it? How?

Maybe he had some probe skim Earth's satellite transmissions for information and found out about Tony that way. Maybe Ebony Maw got really hooked on Breaking Bad in the process. Who can say?

I don't understand what you're arguing.

That scene is just him saying "being smart has its downsides". Tony is just throwing a one-liner back at him.

At the end of the Avengers Thanos' butt buddy was talking about the Avengers, and how threatening they might be. So clearly they must have gotten some information because they didn't have Loki to tell them this stuff.

Loki informed him through the spooky guy in Avengers 2012. He got all the info from Hawkeye

I always saw it as him being smart and acknowledging Tony as the only one on his intellectual level.

What starts Thanos' talk about being cursed with knowledge is how he knows Tony
>... Tony Stark.
>You know me?
>I do. You're not the only one cursed with knowledge.
>My only curse is you.
Which is what OP is asking.

You ever read that really old book... by that Chinese guy; Sun Tzu? Do you think some earthling knew more about war 2500 years ago than the most accomplished modern galactic warlord?

KNOW THY ENEMY

They didn't know who was responsible for it, just that humans did it.

I figured he meant it in that he realized the universe needed that reset to truly prosper (with him knowing that knowledge through the countless massacres of his own people and others).

He saw Tony fly up through the giant space butthole is why.

Yes, the guy who methodically acquired all the infinity stones would certainly not do any further research on the man who thwarted him.

Endgame has past Thanos talk about the Avengers by name, they knew.

He looked into who destroyed the Chitauri after 2012. He probably is familiar with all of the Avengers. You see it again in 2014 when he is looking at Nebula's future memories and refers to the Avengers by name.

>What cursed him with knowledge?
Mind stone, it was Thanos' first stone.
Vision, Dr Selvig, Stark were also cursed by it.

I mean when you send your forces to a galatic backwater and you lose a war, two infinity stones and your reserves gets nuked you probably start asking around.

Earlier drafts were intended to be this, with Thanos outright saying "I know your soul" at one point. Probably changed it to be less on the nose, but on the other hand it kind of makes the soul stone look really useless.

iirc someone mentioned Thanos having spies all across the universe but I can't remember who said it. I wanna say it was Loki?
This, he outright mentioned the team name. He had to have had some kind of knowledge about Earth's events/involvement in cosmic affairs.

Thinking back how Loki escaped wit the Tesseract I'm guessing he gained all the information from Hawkeye and told Thanos the same thing

And looking at 2012 Avengers I'm guessing everything happened with Loki still happened at that moment, because we don't know at the end were Thor goes back to Asgard with Loki was a timeskip, and the Aveners manage to capture him again.

I had that same theory too

I just took it to mean he might've had dreams of his own downfall the same way Tony did. Plus being informed of the Avengers like others pointed out.

>I'll do it myself
>waits three years to do anything

what did he mean by this?

Attached: 1556779626464.png (1280x720, 1.59M)

Didn't he got the Mind Stone last ?

If I remember right, he gets the stone on Xandar (Power Stone?), then attack Thor's ship to gets the Space Stone, then goes to Knowhere to grab the Reality Stone, sacrifice Gamora for the Soul Stone, get the Time Stone from Strange and finally he goes to Earth and gets the Mind Stone.

>what did he mean by this?

He waited for his most powerful foes and anyone with overt knowledge of the stones to die (ie Odin, the Ancient One)

He gave Loki the Mind Stone in 2012's Avengers. It was the first stone Thanos held that we saw.

It means the AoU stinger is as much of an out of place non-sequitur as it's always been.

He had the Mind Stone in the staff he gave Loki to help ensure Loki would get him the Space Stone.

I guess that works.

He had to get his armies together and then raid Xandar, which was apparently, a major space power.
This also explains why he only had the Outriders in Infinity War, but no Chitauri or those Sakaarans.

He spent three years at war with Xandar to get the Power Stone

I wager it's because he eventually came to know that Stark was the guy who blew up the Chitauri base and was fucking around to protect the Earth

>Odin
Odin was no issue, since his power was pretty much constantly being spent on keeping Hela at bay.
Ego was not an issue either since he didn't even care about the stones. With luck, the snap would have gotten him as well. And if not, who cares? The universe was already "balanced" as far as Thanos was concerned.
The Ancient One would have been as much a threat as Strange was.

His only worry might have been Hela as soon as she showed up, but by then he already had the power stone, so basically nothing was a threat to him. Still, he probably figured waiting for her to be out of the picture before attempting to get the space stone from Asgard was the safest course of action.

>The Ancient One would have been as much a threat as Strange was.
Strange one-v-oned Thanos when he had 4 stones.

Ego is a being who attempts to replicate himself ad infinitum, occupying all space and consuming all resources. He's the antithesis to what Thanos intended to achieve.

Thanos was probably aware of Asgard and likely wouldn't have picked a fight with it prior to obtaining the Power Stone but it's not necessary for him to have been aware of Ego or the Ancient One at all. He might have had a small chuckle finding out that someone else nearly rendered his plans unnecessary.

Yes, and? I never said they were weak, I said Ancient One was no different a threat than Strange. Both are Sorcerer Supreme with the Time Stone. Waiting for one to die simply means the next one shows up.

Strange was only Sorcerer Supreme because the Anicent One died. He didn't have half the experience she did.

How many ships does Thanos own?
Was it just the one? Does he have a fleet patrolling space that just lost its flagship?
Also, that much alien tech crashing into the coast has got to jump start human technological advancement even more than the 2012 event did

Strange spent an unfathomable amount of time fighting Dormamu in an outer dimensional time loop. Why else do you think he went from having issues keeping a shitty shield up in one hand to 1vs1 Thanos with four infinity stones in the span of two years?

Not to mention the 14 million potential futures he played out. Dude was probably more capable than the Ancient One by then.

>Why else do you think he went from having issues keeping a shitty shield up in one hand to 1vs1 Thanos with four infinity stones in the span of two years?
Strange did use the Time Stone to cheat on his training and studying but most of that was after Dormammu.

The Ancient One, when faced with a powerful foe like the Hulk, removed their soul from their body in a single punch. Rendering their physical power worthless and ending the combat immediately

Strange needed Wong to open a second portal to shoot Maw's brick spikes back at him in the heat of combat

But he still had some really good magic during his fight Thanos.

Attached: odin_thanos.jpg (600x507, 227K)

I've also heard speculation Ego would have been a threat. Who knows, maybe Thanos was involved with reuniting Ego and Peter , getting the Dark Elves to attack Asgard and aiding the Zealots.

That was Thanos's army (on loan to Loki) that Tony blew up in Avengers.

"Lord Thanos, a small vessel has just emerged from the Gate!"
"...They managed that? Impressive. But... just a single vessel? How large is it?"
"...Wait, it split up. Oh - that's a missile - and - "
"...Is that... a humanoid? That is not a chitauri."
"Lord, the missile! It is heading our way!"
"Fascinating."

Doctor Strange said that endgame was the only way.

Couldn't he see when Quill set Thanos free and warn him not to ask Thanos any questions until after they got the gauntlet off?

Whatever you do, Quill, DO NOT ask him any questions about your dead girlfriend or you're going to get mad and fuck everything up.

Attached: 586898-policesquad3.jpg (640x360, 26K)

You can disbelieve it for whatever reason you want, user. But the movie made it clear that things had to work out the way they did. Maybe Strange could have found another method if he had more time, maybe he couldn't, but things had to work out as they did, for this, the best possible ending he was capable of.

I'd believe that Quill ignores that request in every possibility Strange sees

Fuck yeah he did. I'm just saying, "I'm with Her."

cringe

I can't believe how many of you are dumb enough to think "cursed with knowledge" means he is literally cursed by a magic stone and its not just poetic use of language.

Considering how Tony was at the start of Endgame, if they actually had beaten Thanos on Titan the guy probably would've gone off the deep end and done something just as bad.

The only way they win is if Tony AND Thanos are dead.

You have to consider that there were a lot of possibilities where they beat thanos, but things ended up even worse.

I'd like to think that he had to skip all the ones where they beat thanos right then and there because when Tony had just one infinity gem he caused the whole Ultron incident. Imagine if they suddenly had them all at that moment in time. Tony would be the most likely contender to go "no I have to safekeep these" and then be super paranoid about another Thanos incident and do something even dumber with the gems they now had.

The ship got snapped away so nope

He had a couple of those donut ships, all the Outrider drop ships, he used to have at least one Chitauri command ship but that was destroyed via nuke during the Battle of New York and Sanctuary II

He saw them in the memories.

He saw them and named then for Maw. He didn't see them and learn about them there.

He literally called them "unruly" like in the first Avengers stinger, he absolutely recognized them.

"To challenge them is to court death"
Thanos thinking: "Huh, that's a cryptic. I wonder who he means. Whelp, nothing I can do, being in space and all, I guess I'll just have to blindly attack and not gather any intel"

It was already foreshadowed and set up.

Attached: original (2).gif (500x201, 1.96M)

Strange also needed to account for there being about a 5 second window where Scott ends up trapped in the Quantum Realm, so everything had to play out exactly the way it did to take the exact amount of time necessary to ensure that.

Why didn't he just use his portal to cut off Thanos's hand?

Thanos' arm is stronger than portals, according to the Russos. They really fucked up with the Cull Obsidian dismemberment, when they could've had his arm survive the portal, or even just take some amount of time for it to get cut through so people wouldn't have expected it to be used on Thanos.

They just shouldn't have shown that dismemberment. Even if the Russos say that Thanos's arm is stronger, we should have at least seen Dr. Strange try it during the fight.

Yes, show me a comic page to prove how the Odin from MCU would fare the same

14 million potential futures. You think he didn't try that in at least a couple thousand?

>Yes, show me a comic page to prove how the Odin from MCU would fare the same
You mean these threads aren't really comic related? Great, stop making them.

This. Tony and Thanos dead and the stones destroyed. Strange chose the path that would ultimately make his universe the safest.

>the same dude that threw a nuke at his fleet and smashed it a few years ago
>like Thanos he's been planning for some apocalyptic endgame

I figured Thanos was commenting on Tony's obsession with/life dedication to saving the world he lives in. They both see a threat enroaching on the universe they are desperate to halt. AoU Tony managed to swerve going down the Thanos route after Ultron because he had a team of equals instead of blind followers, but there's a similarity in their natures Thanos sees.

Attached: 1556205393496.gif (320x240, 271K)

>I'm with Her
kill yourself