Are there any American cartoons which aren't episodic? All I remember are Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Samurai Jack

Are there any American cartoons which aren't episodic? All I remember are Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Samurai Jack

Attached: LrSBqbsHnTmqVCT-800x450-noPad.jpg (800x450, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Rabbit
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not many. American cartoons evolved out of comic strips which were distributed a page at a time, with many of the early people in the American industry coming from a comic strip background, and drew a lot from vaudeville in their approach to writing. American cartoons are, by tradition, episodic

Not really and that's a good thing becasue lore is bore

All but the last season of Samurai Jack is episodic.

i hate that almost no one can do both well.

>Adventure Time
>not episodic

AT had episodic and lore

>implying cartoons can't be episodic and still have an overarching plot through the series

ATLA, especially season 2.
Korra, I guess, but it's not as good.
Stephen Universe to an extent.

samurai jack was only episodic for season 5

Samurai Jack is episodic

I think the current decade has the opposite problem. Too much fucking lore and story. We need to get back to fun cartoons. And no, TTG and OK KO aren't good enough

Attached: 1554001993096.png (256x256, 210K)

Literally every cartoon made in the 50's weren't episodic.

Really? Can you give me a specific example?

Crazy enough Legend of the Three Caballeros. Every episode directly ties into the next one and comes back to where the previous episode left off
Which is nuts one of the very few examples of continuous plot is a Donald Duck show. Hopefully it actually released

Don't take obvious bait.

Both of Nick's TMNT's had about as much overarch as any of those.

Didn't a lot of 90's stuff have continuity? Esp. half of USA's action block from what I remember, ExoSquad in particular.

Exosquad was created specifically to try and get the anime crowd. It doesn't really count

Tron: Uprising
Over the Garden Wall
Gargoyles

Don't forget Motorcity and you can arguably say Wander Over Yonder

Wander Over Yonder had plot?

While you can watch all the episodes in any order, if you watch them in airing order you can see there is continuity, especially in season 2.

What are the requirements to not be episodic because some episodes of Jimmy Neutron are kinda required because of character development.

People like you are why I tire of coming here. Yes, there are serial cartoons, Avatar, for instance, which you'd have to have literally never visited Yea Forums in your fucking life to have not heard of before. Adventure time actually IS episodic outside of specific arcs, Samurai Jack as well. See, American cartoons for the past decade+ typically have a hybrid serial/episodic nature where the episodes have a definite order but don't immediately follow one another. But if you did any goddamn research of your own, you could have figured all this out, you lazy dumbfuck.

Attached: 1425692299337.png (1280x636, 630K)

Roswell Conspiracies
X-Files as an action cartoon except better because the ending fucking rules.

Wish more people remembered it

Would you rather prefer watching the same tired done-to-death tropey premise like "protagonist clones self and epic hijinks ensue" or "protanoist gets rich and becomes a dick"?

The majority of cartoons are still randumb, always have been.

Yeah lots, like every cartoon on Netflix

What's with you and that word? You were in the uncle grandpa thread too. Being a comedy =/= being "randumb"

people like you are why I keep coming back, informative responses AND shit talk

Yes.

Most of the time being a comedy = being in a random setting with very few consistent things if any, effectively randumb

I don't think you get what any of the words you used mean

Gargoyles and Young Justice both had heavy serialized leanings, while ultimately being a mostly episodic series (most episodes advance the overall plot but only a few episodes would lead directly into one another). The 90s Spider-Man and X-Men tvshows on Fox were serials, and would jam about fifteen plot points into a 22 minute episode. The Thundercats and He-Man remakes are in the same boat as Gargoyles. Beast Wars and Reboot eventually end up in serialized content. The 2003 TNMT cartoon was serial format.
I have only vague memories, but Generator Rex and Pirates of Darkwater were serial as well.
Oh, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Duh.

Please don't recommend he-man and thundercats

X-men and Spiderman were serialized but the episodes were always played out of order where I live or some of the later seasons weren't aired. I know it was Fox Kids' fault for doing that.

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Attached: bullwinkle1.jpg (1529x1677, 61K)

That's the one where every cryptid was an alien species, right? I remember an episode where a Superman-pastiche appears and one cast member is drawn to him while the other goes full Lex Luthor, to the point of getting a robot suit and some radioactive rock to beat him down and contain him.
Also I seem to recall there being panther-people as well.

Not recommending, just answering OP's question.
If OP wanted recommendations, then this is the wrong place for it, anyway.

Obsession with long form stories is cancer. Binge culture and plotfags never stop and smell the roses, to them everything needs to be a plot delivery system.

OK KO is plenty good enough. It just can't do it all on its own.

>If OP wanted recommendations, then this is the wrong place for it, anyway.

Miss me with that Yea Forums elitist bullshit.

Is this the first cartoon to involve stories that arched over continuously to the next scheduled episode?

When did people stop being able to enjoy things on a week to week basis without it needing to be buried under a mountain of LORE

Attached: misuzu disgust.jpg (192x190, 6K)

Should I have perhaps said "with very few established rules if any"?

What's there to smell? Another fascinating "inside the body" or "It's a Wonderful Life" plot?

When people got tired of watching characters stay stagnant for 500 episodes and go through the same conflicts over and over again, as if stuck in some sort of a limbo.

>TVtropes deconstructionist bullshit
Thanks for proving my point. It's all about execution. Obsession with originality has led to utter SHIT as they need to subvert everything to feel valid. It's all about how they put their own spin on it.

Not much of a crossboarder so forgive me on that, but isn't /wsr/ where you'd go to get recommendations on a tv show?

You're right, he's a reactionary retard still seething that Yea Forums has a semblance of board culture left.

Recs are not frowned upon in Yea Forums. It is only Yea Forums that throws a bitch fit because they get more retards asking for them, than Yea Forums does. They got a point there, but rec threads are less frequent here, so it is less of an issue. Unlike the live action spam, or when you get flooded Star Vs. and Steven Universe threads.

>A semblance of board culture left
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
This place will be better then that festering shithole could ever hope to be

Whatever you want to believe, Yea Forums. Take your meds.

>When you believe you have culture but your only culture is MHA generals and lolis you can't tell where they are from because they all look the same

I think that’s more of a problem that execs still want episodic episodes so they can reair them.

Yes, but I like your post even less now

>No comeback instead of petty buzzword insults
I accept your notice of defeat regarding Yea Forums's inferiority

Voltron's episode order is pretty inflexible.

That's not a thing most people do. Normal people watch shows inbetween other things, and when they do binge shows its with friends and partly used as background noise

No, this was, Crusader Rabbit. The very first animated television series was serialized.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusader_Rabbit

Attached: Crusader_Rabbit_title.jpg (374x267, 20K)

Oddly enough I think because I never really caught them in order kid me just assumed it was in fact episodic and the previous time and next times were just jokes.

You’re a faggot of the highest proportion.

A lot of serialized cartoons showed up in the 90's for some reason. From the top of my head I remember:
-Exosquad,
-Gargoyles,
-Battletech,
-SATAM,
-Roswell Conspiracies,
-The 90's Marvel shows, not only X Men and Spider-Man TAS (both had season long story arcs),but also the first season of the Incredible Hulk and 2nd season of Iron Man -TAS, also Silver Surfer TAS (but I never watched that);
-the CGI series Reboot, Beast Wars and Beast Machines, Shadow Raiders/War Planets
-Conan the Adventurer was episodic but had a lot of continuity which led up to the series finale.

Honestly that kind of fits the offbeat and meta humor of the show if that happened

Bojack Horseman