Does it have the same cultural impact as Star Wars?

Does it have the same cultural impact as Star Wars?

Attached: 1535211464982.png (354x142, 4K)

Yeah it's the Star Wars of this generation

Star Wars did it with 3 movies.

Marvel needed 23.

>Marvel needed 23.
holy shit.

I'd say it has more at this point

Properly

It actually has a wider generational fanbase and cultural impact than Star Wars did in its first 10 years.

Purely because of its serialized nature and pandering to memes.

And well... Let's face it, Writing is a lot better than Star Wars because the conversations feel a lot more realistic than any single fucking line in the 6 movies.

No. It's odd. The films are omnipresent and they have a ton of success but influence wise, there's not really anything except for a few companies trying to jump onto the universe or cape bandwagon. Star Wars had a massive, undeniable impact on pop culture globally. The MCU is just... there.

no, unironically it had more.

>Writing is a lot better than Star Wars
Endgame has more plot-holes than all SW movies added up.

It feels like that to you now. But you gotta look at it like when you've experienced Star Wars the first time. The same feelings are invoked in the younger generations who've seen this stuff.

And it's a quite positive feeling to have kids aspire to be something greater nonetheless whether it's Star Wars or Marvel.

This shit will make some good niggas in the future.

Unironically, no, it doesn't.

Do more people recognize Darth Vader, or Thanos?

Actually it took 3 arguably 4
Iron man, Cap, Thor and Hulk

marvel movies are forgettable, same can't be said about star wars movies.

Give it some time and maybe.

Only the characters themselves, the MCU or other Marvel movies will only achieve Star Wars levels of cultural impact when other media starts making direct references to the movies like how a lot of shows have a "Luke, I'm your father" parody, the closest I can think of right now is "With great powers comes great responsibility". I think it will eventually happen, soon enough we'll get jokes about characters turning into dust and so on

Attached: 1556749924652.jpg (1280x720, 107K)

Star Wars is dead and irreverent while MCU it becoming even more successful.

Bitch please The first one and the third were incredibly forgettable

>Star Wars did it with 3 movies.
and in the 4th one they started the downfall

people are still talking about star wars now so if people still talk about the MCU 30 years from now then yeah

Marvel earned 23. Star Wars couldn't even get a 4th.

Adventure time had a "I dont feel so good" references

As someone who barely watched any of them, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. People who didn't watch SW know the plot and some iconinc scenes ("I am your father" being obviouly the biggest one"). What MCU have? Vanishing meme?

Kids will recognize Thanos more than Darth Vader.

Sadly, it's a fact.

No one can do the same thing Marvel did except DC. And they aren't doing it.

"Hulk" and the first "Captain America" flopped and lost money. Thor made a slim 400 million. The first Iron Man was big (around 600 million", but the second shrunk (500 million).

Before the first "Avengers", the sixth movie of the franchise, the MCU was barely lucrative. It was somewhat smaller than "Twilight".

People are talking about star wars now because they're still making star wars movies. A better question would be how big of a cultural impact did star wars have in the 80s and 90s.

>In 10 years we'll be flooded with "We're in the endgame now." "I can do this all day." in all media.

"I am Iron-Man" has been played with a lot too.

Right now, it's much bigger. And unlike Star Wars, Marvel is super popular across the whole world.

>Thinks CA:TFA flopped

oi boi

But that has more to do with the moment than with the films itself

The film market today is oversaturated with sci-fi and fantasy shit and long franchises, and yet the MCU still found a way to make some impact.

If SW were released today it wouldn't have half of that impact.

On the ther way, if the MCU were launched in he 70s, even without all the CGI and with cheaper effects, it would still be a hughe hit

>A better question would be how big of a cultural impact did star wars have in the 80s and 90s.
Star Wars was an insane cultural phenomenon and basically transformed the entire movie industry with it's special effects. And despite the prequels sucking donkey dick, they were still big enough that we have people calling themselves jedi irl and trying to make an actual religion out of it.

The only impact the MCU has had on the industry is creating the idea of cinematic universes which NO ONE ELSE has managed to pull off, and the lifestyle of "nerdchic". I don't really think either of these will have the same lasting impact as Star Wars.

Sadly, people were saying the same stuff about Darth Vader and Norman Bates.

>The only impact the MCU has had on the industry is creating the idea of cinematic universes which NO ONE ELSE has managed to pull off

So basically it changed completely the way we understand and see superhero films.

Let's talk again in 10 years, honestly.

who's norman bates

The same? No. Because MCU is more popular.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Indeed.

You know that movie Peycho? With the note and the person with the knife attacking someone in the shower thing? Wel this guy is the killer obsessed with his mom and he keeps her corpse around and he has an alternate personality that is his mom

It made less than Fantastic Four movies, lol

MCU is like the new qt girlfriend who treats you right and all sweet.

Star Wars is the ex-gf who cheated on you, you hate her, but occasionally you think about how she was a freak in bed

Ok so it changed the movie industry, and it was huge when the first one came out as it was one of the few sci-fi movies to rival star trek with its ideas of realism and seriousness of the topic, and of course when empire came out everyone loved it, "No Luke I am your father" was the biggest cultural hit maybe of the decade. I'm saying after that, after Return of the Jedi, when the only star wars media was books and the tv movie which must not be named, when there wasn't anything in movie theaters. What was that like in the mid 80s to 90s, did Star Wars disappear from the public conscience outside of the geeks.

More like, Marvel found a (really good) gimmick for their movies that doesn't work at all outside of Marvel movies. Before Star Wars movies like Star Wars were just NOT MADE period. They pretty much created the modern special effects industry. Superhero movies existed before the MCU, and some even did pretty fucking well (see: Spider-man, X-Men, Blade, etc)

Right, but after Star Wars, everybody tried to make a Star Wars, remember? And they fucking couldn't.

I would say a bigger impact, specially when you consider how many other studios have tried to do their own version of the MCU. This series has stayed good overall, at worst some movies are bland. At worst some of the nu-Star Wars movies are incredibly flawed. Also here’s another thing:
>Marvel played their cards right
They started of small with a character no one really cared for, built him up, made him like able, Iron Man was basically an introduction movie, so was Thor and Captain America. Then the Avengers happened. This is when we first see Thanos but Marvel waited till the very last movie to have him as a villain. Unlike in the DCU where they couldn’t wait to have the big baddie by the second film literally KILL Superman. It’s weird when you think about how the company was once going bankrupt but now thanks to all the movies it’s stronger than ever. I heard this even affected comics. Haven’t comic sales gone up? What’s also weird is thought by now no one would give a shot, and that Superhero movies would fade away like Westerns, but Superhero movies are kinda getting better, even DCU films like Shazam. That being said I do see the Disney-remakes dying, Dumbo made no money, that upsets the Jews at Disney

Attached: C3C37F17-0FEE-4641-9856-600F1675204E.png (400x599, 284K)

>Haven’t comic sales gone up?
Captain America, Thor and Iron Man still sell like shit in comic books. I think they sell worse nowadays than they did before the MCU.

No. Movies don't impact comics at all and the industry is struggling.

It varies. Some do and some don't. Movies don't always affect comic sales unless they're in collected form.

You got the Boys, the Tick,That Arrowverse stuf, even in anime like MHA and OPM, I don’t see superheroes dying any time soon, despite people saying that Endgame is the end

>2019
>Thinking star wars is still globally relevant

That's the point user was making, yes.

Probably a lot more.

This desu

Special effects are used in more than just movies like Star Wars though. I don't think you're really understanding how much of a game changer Star Wars was. Special effects as we know them today effectively did not exist before Star Wars. A bunch of dudes saying "wait how the FUCK are we going to do this we are so boned" started an entire industry.

>earned
nah kill yourself kid

>how much of a game changer Star Wars was.
Star Wars was a game changer for the space operas, the effects in the movie were already known for decades.

So true

i don't think it'll be as long lasting. forty years from now people won't be looking at these marvel movies the way that look at a new hope today (or maybe several years ago depending damaging the disney stuff has been)

not that disney cares but its a lot harder to rememeber and idolize 22 movies than 3

I wish we could discuss star wars on Yea Forums

>not that disney cares but its a lot harder to rememeber and idolize 22 movies than 3

That's the thing. In forty years the MCU will probably still be remembered, yes, but as a whole, not the individual films. It's more like a cult TV series, where there's a couple "classic" episodes, but you remember it as a whole thing

Making the sort of impact OT Star Wars or say Batman ‘89 made is not possible now. Pop culture is too atomized and there’s too many choices in terms of entertainment. The *Special Editions* were a bigger deal than the MCU or anything else could possibly be today. Roger Rabbit was too. Dick Tracy was before it tanked. You couldn’t escape a full media blitz back then. When the Special Editions were coming out you’d go to a book store and fifty magazines would have Darth Vader or C-3PO on the cover. Bass Fisherman would have R2 with a fishing rod or something. Whatever the popular thing was was in front of your eyes all the time. It was bananas.

>And they aren't doing it.
I wonder how those suits that decided to rush the DC movies to catch up with Avengers, instead of taking it slow, are feeling now.

Attached: 1344138888533.png (454x421, 197K)

>I don’t see superheroes dying any time soon, despite people saying that Endgame is the end
I hope it does even if it would be slow death. I am getting sick of this shit. I fucking hate that people always get confused when i say i haven't seen the latest marvel movies because for some reason it is crime to not like them.

Attached: 1390714936649.gif (270x121, 1015K)

After RotJ Star Wars died off in the popular consciousness until the Thrawn trilogy kickstarted the EU proper. Even then it was just a thing for nerds until the prequel trilogy brought a ton of life back into it.

I would argue that Marvel is at the same level, ifn ot bigger, of most of the things you listed precisely because it's so well know in a world too atomized for choies in entertainment.

It's quantity over quality. Feige spreads out a ton of average movies across the span of a decade. Movies no one generally cares about after they're seen. The memes don't really stick. Nothing is really memorable about them. And then it's on to the next one.

Conversely, each original Star Wars release was it's own Infitiny War/Endgame event. Star Wars didn't need to make a Luke Skywalker movie and a Princess Leia movie in order to set up the first Star Wars film. It was all neatly packaged and presented.

Space Opera movies were not made before Star Wars. The special effects in Star Wars were not done before Star Wars.

>Space Opera movies were not made before Star Wars

right

>The special effects in Star Wars were not done before Star Wars.

wrong

What exactly is aspirational about the MCU? Honest question. Every "hero" outside of Steve Rogers and Black Panther (no one knows his real name is T'Challa even after his billion dollar movie) is a clown or a narcissist. Heroism isn't the goal of these stories. It's comedy. So if your kid wants to become the next Bozo, then I guess the MCU would be right up his alley.

>if you went back in time and introduced fire to cavemen, they would love it
Yeah no fucking shit

S E E T H I N G

They’re still good people, just cause you’re a clown doesn’t mean you can’t be good person. Except for DC, weird thing against clowns

Your memes are out of date.

You need to be 18+ to post here.

Going to say no because they will run it to the ground

>And despite the prequels sucking donkey dick
*sequels

They make tons of money and they’re certainly a big deal for a short time, but it seems like everyone moves on to the next thing a lot quicker now. I think old guys who were around for Batmania or when The Simpsons or TMNT debuted would say they don’t make cultural phenomenons like they used to.

In the grander scheme of things, yes. Speaking in terms of the entire Marvel franchise, it would be hard to gauge the impact of just the film franchise because the comics were already so pervasive in pop culture. References like "bitten by a radioactive _____" will be understood by pretty much anyone and everyone. Iron Man's armor is every bit as well known and recognizable as Vader's. Cap's shield and Thor's hammer are every bit as iconic as the lightsaber. This isn't owed solely to the films, of course, but it's still there.
Four if you count the Star Wars Christmas Special. Five (or six?) if you count the Ewok Adventures.
You shouldn't, by the way.

Star Wars is like a series of massive explosions, and Marvel is more like the gradual but constant growth of a glacial sheet. It's been building up far longer and is now a massive avalanche.

The Green Goblin