Why did people hate it so much? What could've been done to make it better/more likable?

Why did people hate it so much? What could've been done to make it better/more likable?

Attached: UncleGrandpa.jpg (1600x1200, 321K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fQEdSguzWY4
youtube.com/watch?v=YPGrxmxWMSQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GhCxvZtSD8s
youtube.com/watch?v=Pi1dmxP2ScY
watchcartoononline.io/uncle-grandpa-season-2-episode-52-ballroom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

people are plebs it's the best show cn's made in like a decade

people hated the main character and thought show was too weird and stupid. it's also a bit harder to gain traction if you don't have lore or waifus in your cartoon nowadays.

>What could've been done to make it better/more likable?
I think the show was fine as it was, but normalfags would hate it less if it had what I mentioned above; lore and waifus.

It was hilarious and I don't get the hate to this day. People have no sense of wonder or humor nowadays.

I haven't watched it yet but the art just feels off-putting to me. Uncle grandpa just looks like he's going to be incredibly annoying so much that I don't really wanna give it a chance. I do hope to give it an honest watch sometime though but those two reasons kept me from taking it seriously for a while.

This. It just looks like YouTube style "lol random" humor. I never watched it but I never gave it a chance so it might be good might be ok.

The artstyle want pleasant, there's definitely a way to make the characters more appealing, the humans were gross. But honestly my problem is how bored the VAs sound it was just not an interesting show. Bland is what I would call it.

Everybody says that they want more wacky cartoons that don't take themselves too seriously, but when we finally got one people bitched that it was a wacky cartoon that didn't take itself seriously. I thought it was fun.

Main character wasn't a pedobait waifu or a furry; that's the big difference.

They still had an episode where the green dinosaur-thing had been turned into a fursuit for prisoners to wear.

It could have been more popular with a female lead. Some sort of redhead Aunt Grandmilf maybe.

I like the show but I think GRFT made it look bad. Luckily they didn't use her so much.

>Why did people hate it so much?
It was a mix of the show starring a doofus that most audiences would not find appealing and its lack of the well-paced comedic timing and more clever jokes that made other modern slapstick cartoons like Gumball, Wander Over Yonder, the new Mickey Mouse Shorts, or even Teen Titans Go! far more entertaining. UG almost always went for easy jokes that subsequently fell flat or were executed in ways that kept them from being truly funny. Ever notice how nearly every UG alum seems to be incapable of nailing surreal slapstick comedy and actually making it consistently FUNNY?

My Science Fiction Project (Audie Harrison): youtube.com/watch?v=fQEdSguzWY4

Tiggle Winks (Myke Chilian): youtube.com/watch?v=YPGrxmxWMSQ

Sunshine Brownstone (Audie Harrison, with story by Kelsy Abbott): youtube.com/watch?v=GhCxvZtSD8s

That being said, "Ballroom" is by far one of the funniest 11-minute cartoons of the past decade and I recommend everybody to check it out if they were to watch just one episode of this all right show.

Attached: DC8D1B84-EEA2-415D-B7F1-6D7A023B706C.gif (400x225, 46K)

>That being said, "Ballroom" is by far one of the funniest 11-minute cartoons of the past decade
So I take Yea Forums's advice and now I'm seriously considering buying this shit site just so I can ban every single user of Yea Forums. This was our decade's magnum opus? Yea this show is way better then pedobait waifus, furry shit, and "DEEP LORE" shows. It's not God awful but to act like this is anything beyond a 5-6/10 that would get a few laughs and kill a little time is nothing short of idiocy.

Attached: 1546655364270.jpg (600x865, 35K)

Chill, man. Most UG episodes were mediocre-to-subpar, but just like any show, it had its fair share of outstanding episodes.

I tended to like the episodes where Uncle G and Pizza Steve were freaking out over a minimal problem. Those could be pretty funny, especially when Mr. Gus was used as their foil/voice of reason.

Attached: Nick Edwards's title cards were pretty neat.jpg (1254x372, 82K)

I use to not like it very much but I warmed up to it after a while. The SU crossover parody was mint.

Attached: 1541504120606.jpg (1200x1200, 182K)

>it's also a bit harder to gain traction if you don't have lore or waifus in your cartoon nowadays
But Uncle Grandpa had waifus

Attached: Priscilla Jones.png (1280x759, 554K)

Plenty of 'em

Attached: UG - Uncle Caveman (Ep #49).png (714x402, 287K)

The artstyle was off putting and the concept of him being two paternal relatives paradoxically while traveling cross country in a van with a bunch of strange creeatures was too weird even for CN at the time when the show itself attempts to passive itself off as something accompanying AT, RS, and SU on the lineup.

Attached: Pizza Steve's Diary.png (889x514, 547K)

Mr. Gus is easily the greatest cartoon character to have ever lived.

Attached: shower_party.jpg (619x755, 41K)

if this show is so good and funny then post clips of it being funny

Fucking this, people that claim the show had no waifuability clearly never watched it.

Pizza Steve is much better

THICC

Attached: Escalator (Ep #40), Bounce House (short), and The Uncle Grandpa Movie (Ep #82).jpg (3732x2384, 985K)

Yea Forums has shit taste in comedy

I can understand if this kind of comedy is too high brow for you user.

Attached: satiricalcavepainting.png (607x367, 432K)

Pizza Steve had his moments, but Mr. Gus was always a god-tier character. He stood out since he was the calm voice of reason in an otherwise crazy, off-the-wall cartoon. But that didn't stop him from still being funny.

Attached: angry gus.gif (528x294, 220K)

I liked how much he just didn't give a shit about a majority of Uncle Grandpa's shit.

Be honest, Yea Forums.

Would you?

Attached: Uncle G wants it in the ass.gif (393x221, 115K)

>Weird
Regular Show was weird, but I cared about the character's successes or failures. UG never felt like there were any stakes that couldn't be resolved by an asspull.
Gumball had some weirdness, but the visual gags were top notch. UG looked like a 30/70 split of Regular Show and Secret Mountain Fort Awesome.
Xavier: Renegade Angel was the weirdest of them all, but it had witty dialogue that worked on multiple levels. UG narrates just about every. Single. Thing. That. Happens. It gets grating quick.

Every episode I watched feelt like a compromise of adult swim and Nick Jr.

>Regular Show was weird
Not really
>never felt like there were any stakes that couldn't be resolved by an asspull.
Like regular show?

Attached: Untitled-0001.jpg (917x653, 135K)

Early seasons definitely had some weirdness that got toned down as it progressed. It just wasn't lolrandom.

>like regular show?
Not really. The rules were strange in Regular Show, but they were pretty consistent in the episode they appeared in. Plus, I actually cared if the characters succeeded, because the situations were relatable, even if they were taken to ridiculous lengths.

Some people are ashamed of watching a cartoon without deep lore/signal boosting of leftists ideals

Didn't have a waifu until the very end. Just like Wander Over Yonder. Yea Forums is full of hypocritical virgins who only think with their tiny phismosis dicks.

The issue with UG is that it came out too early. Back when it started airing, Gravity Falls was at the height of its popularity, Adventure Time was beginning to become more lore heavy, and Steven Universe was actually a decent show. Back then, all that shit was new, and a traditional lighthearted wacky comedy like Uncle Grandpa Seemed dated by comparison

Nowadays, everyone's sick of lore heavy shit, so shows like Uncle Grandpa are getting praise for being lore-free. I honestly think if the show started in 2018 it would've been a mega-hit for Cartoon Network

I loved this show but I always had the impression that people would've prefered a different main character... Like, specifically not an adult, much less an old guy.

Attached: Aunt Grandma.png (1200x1000, 380K)

>Regular Show having stakes

Almost every damn episode, up until the later seasons, had an episodic problem that was formulaicly wrapped up in about ten minutes. What are you talking about?

Attached: goy.png (563x574, 353K)

This was honestly a fun show, really wish there were more shows like this one.

Anybody got a MEGA link to the Hulu-Rip of the whole series?

Because people take themselves too seriously.

I honestly just can't stand the main character or his voice. Really hated the pilot and didn't give the show too much of a chance after that. This is probably how old people felt about Spongebob in the 90s.

I remember when people used the NPC meme, while it was just another shitty wojak edit. It basically reflects the cartoon community. Most of them follow one certain opinion just because some popular group of Youtubers said so. Uncle Grandpa was by no means the worst show ever, sure it had some flaws. But it was honestly far better then the generic bean face garbage we've been getting for the past five years, mostly thanks to Steven Universe. Pretty much every show on both Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon is now just harmless fluff that doesn't push to it's limits. Everything is way too soft and cutesy. Granted there's nothing wrong with that, Anime/Manga for example is simple and yet they're able to tell a good story with interesting characters (well if you aren't watching SOL shit). American animators try to be like the Japanese so hard, but they don't realize that the artists over there have multiple different art styles. Which causes characters from both Steven Universe and really any cartoon after that look like rejected Tezuka creations. UG didn't give a shit about what people thought, it was generally it's own thing which is why it was so unique. However with stuff like Monsters Abroad or Ballmasterz getting noticed. I feel like this simplistic area promoted by large corporations who control the animation studios will likely come to an end.

Attached: 1537737989875.png (375x424, 193K)

Am I the only one that liked it when Uncle Grandpa narrated a lot of what was happening. It made it feel charming and oddly sweet. It was very old school cartoony.

Better things to watch than a show literally about a retarded faggot.

Pretty much every cartoon in the 90s and early 2000s were about a retard or a group of them. The Animaniacs and Beavis & Butthead would probably be the two biggest examples.

Attached: 1511632614785.jpg (509x586, 58K)

It's just SUfags that plotted to shunt all the other new/newish CN shows that they believed were """""competing""""" with SU, getting even worse when they did that Uncle Grandpa crossover.

The thing about UG is that I really liked the characters but the jokes themselves were pretty meh

I think Uncle Grandpa was fine and all but it could've gone a little deeper or a little more to make its jokes better

But on the topic of Uncle Grandpa, I'd like to remind everyone that when Cartoon Network realized that they could save more money by airing reruns, they told people that Uncle Grandpa was renewed for another season when in actuality they went and laid off its entire crew.

That would probably explain the ending.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pi1dmxP2ScY

I think I agree with this. UG came out at the wrong time. if it had debuted either before the lore-trend started (which would have to be before Adventure Time, so around the Chowder/Flapjack era) or in 2018/2019 it would've had a better chance of being successful.

UG had better voice actors in my country so I didn't know why the dislike in america until seeing a sub.

unf

bump

>shows like Uncle Grandpa are getting praise for being lore-free
Like... ?

Attached: 14C5C481-64C3-428B-ACD5-EE692874D61C.png (1280x720, 339K)

You can have a successful kids’ cartoon with an adult protagonist; Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, TailSpin, and countless others have proven that. Uncle G just happened to be a dumbass that most wouldn’t find appealing as a main character. He was the main issue that was keeping people from giving it a chance. Just like Clarence did for his own show. The only difference, though, is that Clarence was actually far more appealing and entertaining than his voice and appearance let on.

Attached: Jack's mom was hot as fuck.jpg (1200x600, 155K)

>TailSpin
>successful

You know I fucking would

Attached: Uncle G bikini.png (1280x738, 335K)

I wanna FUUUCK Pizza Steve!

Attached: jeny04263.jpg (1200x1200, 210K)

Looney Tunes and Spongebob were good wacky cartoons that didn't take themselves seriously.

Cartoons don't need to be either toddler adhd garbage or "super deep" pretentious lesbian bullshit.

UG had a lot of god-tier waifus, obscure or not.

But I'm still pissed about the Tooth Fairy's complete redesign and sex change

Attached: Christmas_Special.jpg (433x452, 16K)

We've come full circle now that Pete Browngardt--who cites Looney Tunes as one of his main influences--is the main guy behind the upcoming Looney Tunes Cartoons. Practically everything about pic related sounds super promising. While I may be one of the few who enjoyed 2011’s The Looney Tunes Show, it does feel great to know that this latest revamping of the franchise is what will finally bring these characters back to life in the public eye.

Attached: Based Browngardt saving the Looney Tunes brand.jpg (963x744, 130K)

The new Looney Tunes are going to be mediocre at best. Pre-Chuck Jones LT wasn't good at all.

Was it not successful? What about Goof Troop?

Attached: adorable ursine waifu.jpg (440x300, 30K)

>I'd like to remind everyone that when Cartoon Network realized that they could save more money by airing reruns, they told people that Uncle Grandpa was renewed for another season when in actuality they went and laid off its entire crew
Truly nothing more fucked up than that. Whether you liked the show or not, you have to admit that was a shitty thing to do.

Attached: Good... night.jpg (233x311, 10K)

So, we know Browngardt's on Looney Tunes Cartoons, but what has everybody else been up to?

Attached: Transitional Phase.jpg (1280x262, 120K)

This is well said. Regular Show was bordering on this but made up for it in later seasons by having some continuity. Uncle Grandpa was just full tilt random and I'm just not into it. I didn't find it funny or engaging. Maybe I'm just too old to be the target audience though.

It was trash

>Pre-Chuck Jones LT wasn't good at all
damn you're full if shit

>Why did people hate it so much?
That show was never hated. The fuck are you on ?

Main character is fucking annoying.

>What could've been done to make it better/more likable?
Remove Pizza Steve and Mr. Gus.

>removing Mr. Gus
You don't deserve to give your opinion on anything.

>That being said, "Ballroom" is by far one of the funniest 11-minute cartoons of the past decade
I laughed exactly once at the end but otherwise it's pretty boring and the Spongebob house painting episode is a way better-executed version of the same concept.
watchcartoononline.io/uncle-grandpa-season-2-episode-52-ballroom

Attached: I DISAGREE.jpg (240x240, 24K)

Well suck it in, pal. The initial pilots set up everything the show was about, and the final series barely even focuses on that. Most of the time, it's just the Pizza Steve and Mr. Gus show instead of Uncle Grandpa taking kids on wacky adventures.

Underrated

Attached: fe3813f2d1a65dc1a1f5fb5e6aec3bbaa4d1b04e.jpg (400x902, 70K)

>Pre-Chuck Jones LT wasn't good at all
The absolute state of this user

Attached: 84CFECC0-4C95-4E54-8594-98EF45F72465.jpg (698x672, 26K)

People hated it because the main character was a retard with a bastardized version of Patrick Star's voice. Plus nowadays, most cartoons have to have some kind of plot to gain any traction online and Uncle Grandpa shamelessly indulged in its cartoon roots.

None of this makes it bad, I actually think it was one of CN's best 2010s cartoons. It's a shame that it ended so soon but at least it didn't become garbage.

A lot of people also take issue with the title because it implies incest, but that's normies for ya.

the Steven Universe crossover was pure kino

I guarantee that if it had come out in the 90s or early 2000s, it would be regarded as a part of "Golden Age CN"

Well yeah, there are some really bad shows in early CN that are lauded for absolutely no reason.

Attached: endless screaming.png (180x180, 10K)

I’m seconding this.

Bloo was a shitty protagonist and there were some pretty awful episodes, but I enjoyed Foster's.

It's definitely the worst of Craig's shows though.

>I enjoyed Foster's
When I was little I enjoyed TMNT but watching it today it's a steaming pile of shit with the exception of the character design and some of the art direction, and maybe a neat concept here and there.

Foster's is the same. The character design was interesting and relatively new to television (even if it wasn't new in general) so people stamped it "GOOD" and moved on.

If you rewarch either of those shows, you're gonna be very, very disappointed.

Japan really seem to like Uncle Grampa. That being said it also has a weird obsession with the Impossibles.

I meant in the main cast.

Attached: 1546480252183.png (211x120, 7K)

not him, but I rewatched Foster's very recently and it was genuinely funnier than I remember

>nobody's mentioned this absolute semen demon yet
This whole thread is a complete disgrace.

Attached: Melvin's Babysitter.jpg (806x767, 81K)

Wew

I rewatched Foster's last year and like half of it still holds up. The only thing I really dislike now is Bloo, he's a shit character and I wish he kept his Pilot personality the Bendy episode is also pretty bad but I feel like people exaggerate how bad it really is, it could've easily been a better episode with a few rewrites or a longer runtime

You think THAT'S something? Well, check this out!

Attached: Carey Yost, you're a god among men.jpg (1280x989, 146K)

>those "L" and "V" drawings
Oh, my

Attached: I'm shook.gif (298x298, 767K)

Most cartoon watchers today DEMAND and REQUIRE their show have an element of "backstory". They need to feel less self-conscious that they're watching a cartoon, and therefore need a "reason" to tell their fellow teenagers why he is enjoying "Cartoon X" without telling them he is simply a fan of animation, lest he risk his being ostracized.

Uncle Grandpa was a decent, silly cartoon that the exposition-starved masses hated to no end because it didn't offer them anything in the way of backstory. There was nothing deep in its presentation, no 'clues' for the fans to guess as to Mr. Gus's backstory or something. It expected you to turn off your mind and just enjoy the show, but this didn't sit well with modern cartoon fans. They need a REASON to enjoy a cartoon, and there's no excuse more convenient than an overarching backstory!

If the Tom and Jerry shorts came out today, people online would be yelling at Hanna and Barbera to make an episode where they go into every excruciating detail on why they can't talk or how they can survive all the shit they do to each other... this is because revealing any of this sucks all the fun out of the show.

I still have yet to find a cartoon series as consistently hilarious and visually stunning as the classic Tom and Jerry shorts. Music and minimal dialogue were used seamlessly. Hanna and Barbera were ahead of the game.

Attached: 51A7DFA9-8521-454F-B868-F389AF658850.gif (480x360, 3.99M)

>visually stunning as the classic Tom and Jerry shorts
Can't speak for comedy but TV will never again have theatrical-quality animation, at least until AI will be taught to animate.

>at least until AI will be taught to animate
You mean that hasn't happened yet?

Attached: Marge becomes a robot.gif (256x368, 1.94M)

>no waifubait
>no fujobait
>no SJW shit

>no waifubait
Read the thread.

>no fujobait
Watch the show.

>no SJW shit
The main character wears rainbow suspenders.

Attached: Apparently Weird Man is David Gemmill's caricature.jpg (1000x563, 154K)

EE&E was better

I think you pretty much nailed it here. Lore is now a standard for cartoons and anything that deviates from that gets shunned. UG came out at the wrong time.

(you)

Eh, I suppose

Attached: 35FA854D-BBE9-4224-A18A-98401E246D41.gif (499x377, 714K)

Uncle Grandpa, the character, is way too fucking creepy. Otherwise good comfy kids show.

>Apparently Weird Man is David Gemmill's caricature
I-is David Gemmill handsome as hell in real life?

Attached: E6110E21-B725-4B4C-ABFF-DD3F7F4B42BB.png (1920x1080, 368K)

Main character was annoying and the show as a whole was too weird, not the charming kind of weird, just plain weird

What does he look like in IRL?

Attached: 6D4F1972-A44A-45AE-A93E-4624C555DC32.jpg (1280x1270, 217K)

l-lewd

disgusting

It makes me sad to think that the artists on The Simpsons honestly thought adding shading rims to the characters was enough of an improvement to the animation as a whole. That movement looks like shit.

>Nowadays, everyone's sick of lore heavy shit
user, the only lore show airing right now is Star Vs. There are no new lore shows coming up except for Infinity Train. Stop fucking pretending as if lore shows were ever a majority. Your favorite retarded randumb cartoons were always prevalent.

It still had continuity tho

ugly art style, obnoxious bold colors

main character is a retard in an age where you cant make fun of retards

main character is an inbred joke in the PC age

uncles and grandpas are increasingly associated with pedos

episode supply was too strangled to start out. nobody wants to see the first 5 episodes over and over for half a year

with all that said i think it was the most fun show CN has had in years

People have shit taste. Simple as that.

It was really grating on my nerves when I caught a few episodes on Cartoon Network at the time. The character was really awful, honestly. It was all over the place too.

There's nothing to change that isn't at the fundamental core of UG. It's tough to do a variety show, especially when it's not topical, and that's what UG was.

It's also one of those shows that's funny when it hits, dreadful to sit through when it misses, and it missed often. It's an offbeat kind of humor that doesn't play broadly.

For what it was, the show had a fair run. Changing the character balance/screentime might improve it a little, but a better argument could be made for making an Evil Wizard or a Xarna spinoff series.

If Uncle Grandpa was a cute girl it would have taken off.

This. An Aunt Grandma series would’ve been successful.

Attached: 5F4E8BF2-52D4-4C84-AB77-D6DF4C0DA60D.jpg (500x281, 33K)

>For what it was, the show had a fair run
This. For a show as largely hated/ignored as Uncle Grandpa, 140+ episodes is a really good run.

Attached: Tiny Miracle a cute.png (850x671, 555K)

I secretly really liked it.

wasnt this made by the same guy that pitched a show about some fur trash anthro fox teaching a young boy about sexuality?
I swear this is not made up, I heard someone talk about this being one of his earlier works in a past UG thread, I just want conformation

Attached: uh oh.gif (473x205, 1.1M)

Uncle Grandpa Babies is one of the greatest achievements in television history.

Anything Cartunes Lover is obsessed with is either shit or turns into shit later seasons, so I assume this show is shit for that reason.

Craig has only one good show and that is the PPG, the rest is trash

Are you talking about Peepoodo? ‘Cause that’s a completely different team of people.

Attached: FEDFDA1E-9ADA-4284-A8CB-0A511AF63B73.jpg (479x479, 85K)

Attached: 343563A4-D6E1-4BBD-9DCA-FD42F6989F07.jpg (1024x1007, 391K)