Did Tom King write Sanctuary as a terrible mental health facility on purpose...

Did Tom King write Sanctuary as a terrible mental health facility on purpose? Or does he genuinely believe that letting patients indulge in whatever holodeck fantasies they want while cluless robots occasionally ask questions without ever proposing any real treatment is good for their mental health? Did he think that having BATMAN, one of the most unhinged heroes ever, and not an actual mental health professional program these robots was a good idea? Why did he have characters say that the AI was programmed with the compassion of Wonder Woman when it's not compassionate at all? Does he think that keeping patients isolated and all alone with no company but an AI was a good idea, especially when you consider that because of this Wally went even more crazy?
The in-universe scandal shouldn't have been that Sanctuary exists, it's that it's run horribly by people who have no idea what they're doing.
Do we even know if Sanctuary actually made people better? Any success stories?
For a guy that writes a lot about mental health issues, Tom King's portrayal of therapy is usually quite lacking.

Attached: Sanctuary therapy.jpg (1041x1600, 457K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.twitter.com/ThatCmonster/status/1101783512531623937
deviantart.com/psuede/art/Cass-in-Crisis-796165335
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He wrote a scene where an obscure D-List hero who shrinks gets eaten by crows just because it's shocking imagery.

The kind of person who has ideas like that has no business writing anything.

Don't forget that he revealed that an anti-drug superhero created for an anti-drug PSA was actually addicted to multiple drugs this whole time. Ow the edge.

Also, why was the facility a single barnhouse in the middle of nowhere? How did all the patients even fit in there?

>implying Yea Forums knows anything about mental health
mobile.twitter.com/ThatCmonster/status/1101783512531623937

why is there no licensed brain doc in there? or at least Jonn?

VR therapy is real and the questions sanctuary asks are questions a real therapist would ask.

> It’s because he’s showing what it’s actually like, and the painful, long process of EMDR therapy/recovery instead of what others feel recovery SHOULD be like.
Except that it doesn't show what therapy is actually like. Yes, therapy takes time, but it doesn't involve VR fantasies and conversations with uncaring robots while you're stuck in a barn with no humans to interact with for weeks on end. It involves actual therapy, talking to real doctors with experience, talking to real people, being with friends and family that support you every step of the way, taking medication...

Who?

This plot only happens because so many stupid factors are in play. The frustrating thing is that hero therapy is a valid idea to explore, just not like this. If Harley wasn’t so trash these days I would have suggested Dr Quinzel make a return.

We have purposely trained the AI wrong. As a joke.

Attached: ywef1.jpg (800x336, 33K)

Go away Tom.

>Why did he have characters say that the AI was programmed with the compassion of Wonder Woman when it's not compassionate at all?

Attached: 1522426545168[1].png (1600x1261, 1.74M)

We understand his point, we're criticizing him for writing it poorly. You don't get a par on the back for saying "look, pain." Any jackass can do that.

Except tom king isn't just saying "look pain", he's also showing how healing works.

>but it doesn't involve VR fantasies
Sometimes it does, VR therapy is a thing
>conversations with uncaring robots while you're stuck in a barn with no humans to interact with for weeks on end.
You ever been institutionalized?

Stream that movie if you’re so great

VR therapy, when used, is PART of the overall therapy, not the entire therapy like in Sanctuary.

Attached: kung pow.webm (294x125, 2.87M)

It would have been a lot better if Wally didn’t kill anyone and instead gather a team of individuals to help fix the timeline or something. I would read that.

I would argue we didn't see the overall of what sanctuary had to offer.

Based

AI in comics are human in nature as they can think and feel.

No, he's not. He's showing a very incomplete look at mental heath treatment that belies a surface level understanding of what happens.

Pretty much one of the largest complaints about in-patient psychiatric treatment is the lack of privacy and personal space.

The AI in Sanctuary didn't seem human. It actually asked a man who lost his children why he misses his children.

The Protector
A re-color of robin cause they couldn’t use robins in the PSA’s

Attached: C4B7E332-EAF6-4360-A6BD-2B74DB468080.jpg (600x947, 181K)

>Pretty much one of the largest complaints about in-patient psychiatric treatment is the lack of privacy and personal space.
Which is something Sanctuary offers.

>It actually asked a man who lost his children why he misses his children.
That's called therapy, Identify your feelings and thoughts.

That's the problem, we did. It's a holodeck featuring an AI asking probing questions that lacks even the most basic of psychiatric resources. In reality cognitively recognizing and confronting trauma is the first and easiest step in treatment, which requires long-term work and support to be effective. Sanctuary is literally nothing more than a really fancy episode of Dr. Phil.

This is his updated look

Attached: 47200701-2E42-4DC3-B3A2-5ABCB1E1B0DC.jpg (555x981, 196K)

>It's a holodeck featuring an AI asking probing questions that lacks even the most basic of psychiatric resources
>lacks even the most basic of psychiatric resources
Says you.

It's obvious that a lot of people that have criticized Heroes in Crisis and this page in particular have never actually been through any sort of therapy themselves. A key part of therapy is getting the patient to come to terms with and understand their own state of mind, usually by the therapist just asking questions. Of course if Wally isn't going to even try and just use the VR to dwell in the past, he isn't going to be able to heal and deal with what he's lost.

Why does Batman always get the crazy label? In universe he's really nothing special, Green Arrow and him are basically doing the same thing.
Being a costumed vigilante with a teen sidekick isn't a mental illness, it's a lifestyle.

Or they have been through therapy and thing King is doing an absolutely shit job at depicting it. Just because he can color between the lines doesn't mean the sky is green.

Because Tom King's version of Batman is barely stable, asocial, suicidal, obsessive, neurotic, and emotionally stunted.

It seemed like in story besides Wally the program was working

Maybe tom king is just depicting a different type of therapeutic experience than yours.

That said, there is a lot of other stuff within the series that warrants criticism, like that whole confrontation between Harley Quinn and the Trinity was real head scratcher. What was stopping Wonder Woman from grabbing and restraining Harley exactly?

Poorly. We get it. Therapy not help, so cold so uncaring, unga bunga.

That doesn't make it well written. I'm loath to use them as an example, but Watchmen and TDKR handle critique of mental health professionals well. King's implementation is loud and blunt without precision. He just slaps together a few easy ways to showcase THERAPY BAD instead of logically setting up the story and its players to deliver the message.

Well yeah, mine worked.

And Green arrow isn't? Like Oliver being green arrow is just him still stuck on the island.

It helped a lot of people in sanctuary too

Didn't help Tom King, clearly.

>Therapy not help, so cold so uncaring, unga bunga.
That's not what Tom King is saying though, Heroes in crisis is not anti-therapy and it shows how therapy was actually helping them.

No, GA is closer to Oliver overcompensating for being a shitty person before the island.

And yet its only appearance showcases how it failed completely and got several of its patients killed. The simple fact of the matter is that Tom King comes off as fetishizing trauma and is using mental health awareness as a smokescreen to cover up the fact he really just likes torturing characters.

Why are people just finding out now that Tom King is a really bad writer? The only reason he's on so many DC titles is because they don't have anyone decent left except Grant Morrison and he doesn't seem like he wants to do anything more than that one Green Lantern run going on currently. When your A-Team is Bendis and Geoff Johns you're going to have a bad time.

>GA is closer to Oliver overcompensating for being a shitty person before the island.
Like a type of suicide? Like he's rejecting his past self because of trauma.

Sure, much like how eating breakfast is a type of suicide, like rejecting your past of not eating because of the trauma of hunger.

This. That's the kind of shit you write as/for a parody. It would be more at home in The Boys or The Tick.

it would have been more interesting if it was just like 9 issues of heroes getting therapy.

Attached: cass thearpy.png (1260x1947, 2.59M)

That wouldn't be edgy or extreme though. How do you expect it to get greenlit without D-Listers getting torn into bloody chunks?

one of them could have killed themselves or something. flashbacks to traumatic events

Daily Reminder: Tom King is a HERO.

A HERO GOSH DARN IT.

MAYBE EVEN THE HERO WE DESERVE.

HE WAS GOSH DARN CIA!!!

If there’s no narrative elements supporting otherwise, then that user is right to think that way.

Lilith is a member of the Titans, has psychic powers and is a psychiatrist. King decided not to use her or Jon.

>If there’s no narrative elements supporting otherwise
But there is.

>t. Dumb Kingfag
There. I've identified the baiting faggot. Nobody reply to it after this post. Let it starve.

Batman did the programming. Either he screwed up, WW is not very compassionate or a combination of both.

>Muh wife
>Muh children
Why didin't they just add Artemis Crock from the Young Justice animated series as the Rebirth version of Linda?

>Tom king
>Writing

Attached: don't look at me.gif (580x326, 2.49M)

>WW
Both. The fact that Wonder Woman high roaded herself with respect to receiving therapy and excused herself from the exercise, I'd say she's a conceited cunt with a distinct lack of compassion.

And he's a nigger that glows in the dark, yes. His writing is still shit

Well we can't have our heroes actually be good examples, moral, and not massive hypocrites now can we? If our inspirational figures are actually inspirational, actually suggets that we can rise above our worst selves, then everyone who is a petty, low-effort, unkind, arrogant sack of shit will have their feefees hurt and might actually have to face themselves and take a hard look at their lives.

We don't want no Supermen or Captain Americas. Let's sabotage that image right away. No, no, we want our Iron Men, Deadpools and Batmen, damaged individuals who cope with substances, sarcasm, violence, and a nice sprinklign of nihilism. They don't threaten me with the idea that I could be doing better.

Attached: 1527334432084.gif (540x220, 782K)

Wonder Woman did have a therapy session. It was really weird and I have no idea what she was talking about.

This "brilliant insight into trauma" resulted in all of the "cured" patients getting murdered by one of the patients going through the exact same "successful" treatment. I.e. another poorly executed treatise on anguish hamfistedly crowbarred into a story that ultimately does the exact opposite of what it sets out to do from the King with no clothes.

Except using VR to dwell in the past seems to be the entire MO of Sanctuary.

What do you find more inspirational? Perfect übermensch who can do no wrong, or damaged characters who rise above their flaws to perform heroic deeds in the face of adversity? For me, it's the latter.

Superman is the lone survivor of his home planet. Batman watched his parents get murdered in front of him. The entire onus of the characters is overcoming adversity. We don't need them cutting their wrists for them to be inspirational.

it seems like EVERYONE at Sanctuary just uses the VR to dwell in the past, though.

Because they're working through trauma genius.

Because they're working through past trauma.

no, they're just reliving the trauma. We never see the AI actually do anything to help them work through it.

Who's the artist?

SeeThey are working through it.

That's the thing though, taking Superman as an example, he can do wrong. He is the sole survivor of a godlike race who grows up something of an outcast, always feeling different, and yet is still generally good hearted and tries to be a good man. He can't save everyone and be everywhere and that's something he has to face every day; something he can hear and see, even. He could even force the world to be safer. He could do literally anything he wanted to do.

He chooses to be a good family man and to help people. Absolute power does not corrupt absolutely in his case, and not because he is just that good, but because he loves.

that's not the comic, that's just some Twitter retard

So then Wally is "working through his trauma" too. And we see where that ends up.

No, but metaphorically speaking, if they are cut, they need to bleed. If they have suffered trauma, it should haunt them. It is when they feel the pain, but keep going anyway that we are inspired. Not when they don't suffer from it at all.

deviantart.com/psuede/art/Cass-in-Crisis-796165335

So your argument is that Batman, who saw his parents murdered in front of him, doesn't suffer? Or that you couldn't understand that suffering until Tom King made him slit his wrists?

She's right tho, lagoon boy and Gnark were having real breakthroughs.

As evidenced by when they walked out the door with a smile on their face---oh wait they just relived their trauma over and over again until they were murdered.

Yes, that's the point, you absolute autist. If it was good treatment, there wouldn't be a story.

Until we get confirmation that the Sanctuary AI was meant to bad, then it's just Tom King being a hack. And if it is meant to be bad, it's Tom King being predictable and trying to pass it off as a twist.

>Superman doesn't have any issues to work through

And I'm the fucking pope, trying to cut you a deal on the Brooklyn Bridge to help a Nigerian Prince.

Attached: Superman - Up, Up, and Away-131.jpg (1988x3056, 1.98M)

Yeah, becoming a masochist and getting shot dozens of times a day, reliving your near-death experience over and over, real breakthrough.

Attached: Sanctuary Lagoon Boy.jpg (1041x1600, 561K)

That's implying that a frank, well illustrated, deconstruction of relatable personal events and varied personalities through the lens of super hero fiction wouldn't have been more interesting that a bland twist ridden murder time mystery.

Not when it's written by the same guy who conceived said bland twist ridden murder mystery.

Trauma isn't therapy, King. Now get out.

See that's your problem, you want a safe packaged experience of Doc I'm cured.

I'd take that over "life and therapy are meaningless and we're all going to die" in the context of a superhero story any day of the week.

Not him but you’re full of shit. Sanctuary is a stupid concept and King is an idiot who doesn’t understand therapy

It's like she said, he's always living with the memory of the trauma and all the VR is doing is externalizing that. When he choses to walk away from the memory is the breakthrough for him.

Because that's what working over therapy is supposed to result in? Kingfag, I know you're utterly retarded since that's what's required to regularly take and squeeze King's dick in your ass, but don't make it so obvious.

Thanks man.
Gnark was having a breakthrough, Lagoon Boy not so much.

Well I wasn't saying that thinking Tom King would still be the writer.

except he DOESN'T choose to walk away since he gets murdered before that.

I think that Sanctuary is a good concept but King wasted it to satisfy his trauma fetish. The sad part is that DC will blame the concept and be reluctant about letting future authors write about mental health or blame the fans for not getting the story.

So all he had to do is not go to Sanctuary in the first place.

No, Batman is perfectly fine. He is a damaged man who takes his pain and turns it into strength and that is what makes him compelling.

>its a 'man who has never experienced real trauma tries to tell people what suffering is like' episode
>its a 'guy who cant write writes everyone out of character' episode
>its a 'heroes are actually irreedemably fucked up' episode
As someone who has actually seen some shit, and loves him some comics, this shit is completely offbase and further damages the idea of mental health to the eyes of the public, like most media, and it is fucking embarassing. Its using 'therapy' as a cheap backdrop for shock bullshit, being framed by pop-'mentally ill' LARPers as 'real' because it fits their insane ideal of mental health treatment being some kind of edgy, depressing nightmare of 'flashbacks' and 'PTSD'.
And it is just so shittily written, jesus. Literally everyone is so out of character that they all might as well be different people. Pretty sure he is literally just using Cuckoo's Nest archetypes and slapping DC characters onto them.

Batman is not a damaged man. This is what all the pseuds like you and Tom King fail to realize in their quest to sound smart by regurgitating pop psychology.

Based. Bats' moved on a long damn time ago

nigga what

I agree with this sentiment, part of trauma therapy is confronting what caused your trauma in the first place. How many heroes stated their goals, what they wanted to get out of the therapy? We saw little follow through or progress. And when we saw some characters actually show signs of characters being helper by Sanctuary, they were murdered by Wally. It was like we were just supposed revel in their trauma and problems and when we were done they were de facto thrown in the trash.

He is obsessed and lives only for one thing, the thing that is the root of his trauma. His entire being revolves around it. He is functional, but "perfectly fine" he is not.

While I wouldn’t say Bruce “moved on”, I will say the mentality of “Batman can’t be happy” is fucking dumb

It's not mentally-healthy to dress up in a rubber-and-leather fetish suit to train child soldiers, and to beat up poor people at night because you can't get over your parents' deaths.

>and conversations with uncaring robots
Uhhh...

He does not live for only one thing. He would not commit suicide if he wasn't Batman. That is a stupid interpretation. Also someone who has essentially transcended humanity by pushing past the limits of what seems possible is far more than "functional". He has a family, achieves the impossible on a nightly basis, and still manages to be a member of society. That sounds perfectly fine to me.

>and to beat up poor people at night
Hey now, he beats up rich people too.

well thats the only true statement i seen in the book a lot of psa people are using drugs and just want to deter kids from doing it

That's a super unique and hot take. I wish we had more people like you in the world so we could get more stories about how Batman being a hero is a stupid concept.

You have a truly terrible understanding of mental health. Look at the high profile celebrity suicides in recent years. All very successful people, with families, working as members of society. All decidedly not fine.

>You're the one who's got issues!
>Not me, who's threatened by any crack or flaw in the polished surface of my comic book god-idols

So, once again, you'd be happy if Batman committed suicide due to it being "realistic"? You don't see how Batman is living a fulfilling life on a daily basis? You don't see a difference between what Batman does and what some pop singer does?

No. But saying "oh he's mentally fine because he's living a 'fulfilling' life" is outright ignorant. Especially since pretty much every Batman comic ever makes it very clear that he's NOT mentally fine, even looking beyond King's garbage.

>I can't find a story relatable unless its main character is wanting to kill himself all the time because I am a solipsistic retard!

No, that's just a post-modern deconstructionist interpretation that idiots latched on to. You don't become Batman without mental fortitude, it directly contradicts the character.

because once you lose four kids! your parents shouldn't be your driving force any more. all of your kids have died and been gravely injured why is mommy and daddy still haunting you? when three kids have died in front of your eyes.

oliver on the other hand actually show emotion and frustration lian died and he killed Prometheus, someone tried to kill connor and oliver held a bow in the guys mouth until connor mad it out of surgery. oliver show his emotion in unhealthy ways but he shows it

. bruce on the other hand lets his kids killers go and act like nothing ever fucking happen he doesn't even talk about his kids death but his parents all the time like he holds on to one death like a badge of honor and the rest are fodder

Jason Todd's death used to be a defining characteristic of Batman's until comics went to shit. It's not the character's fault.

He didn't lose four kids.

>The Backyard.
>A higher-order world that determines the present world's laws.
>A world where all information is turned into high-density elements, carried, collect, and reconstructed eternally.
>An ordinary person would lose their consciousness within seconds, and their being would break to the pressure.

Attached: ramlethal-lastperiod-x-guiltygear.png (1024x1024, 304K)

What in the actual fuck are you talking about you retard? The only Robin that died was Jason, and until they brought him back it was a character defining fuck-up for Bruce.
You can argue that it still is but it's just not the same.

>Jason
>Steph
>Damian
>Tim

it depends on if you count Steph as one of his kids

imagine being so confident yet so completely and utterly wrong

Attached: 5d919d9b79a50983f2184245a7dcc6aea4837246_hq.jpg (1024x640, 112K)

cass died twice, tim was pulled out of the time stream when he was about to died all they found was dust ergo to the world dead. than jason and damian

Still better than Arkham

Attached: 819bbc5af242e29e4e61d0c12a48ad3e50d5d5fd.jpg (384x313, 83K)

Well, that's what I get for not reading comics for a decade. How did they revive him? Lazarus pit?

some bullshit with Darkseid, Tomasi's B&R was dumb

That's the lowest of all possible bars.

But i am not wrong, right???

Attached: c8cb7566079e0093956333821e5950c8.jpg (500x500, 43K)

He didn't lose Steph or Tim.

Steph died, and he and everyone else thought Tim was dead.

Batman should've killed himself in 1985 and never come back because there is no escape from the hell that is modern comics.
The Batman I knew died with the cute days of Ace the Bat-hound, Bat-Mite and of course zebra Batman. Because silliness and a childish lack of logic is the absolute pinnacle of creative accomplishment and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This but pseudoronically.

Yes I agree seriousness and a strict adherence to real world concepts of logic and mental health (and other adult topics) are exactly what everyone wants when they read comic books about superheroes. Otherwise people might make fun of us.

Read some goddamn comics, you phony.

They wouldn't make fun of us if faggots like Alan Moore stuck around to keep writing good stories instead of bailing out and leaving everything in the hands of hacks like King and DiDio, then complain about why all modern storytelling is grimdark shit. But of course that wouldn't be post-modern enough and he wouldn't be able to proclaim himself as not-the-Messiah if he actually took some responsibility.

No one's gonna blame Batman for Wally going crazy. It's all going to fall on Wally's shoulders.

King doesn't know much about therapy because, despite very badly needing it, he's never gotten it.

Funny how the best modern Batman run by a country mile directly addresses how these concepts don't have to be incongruous with the modern interpretations of the character and in fact are an integral part of his identity.

Therapists ask questions so they can move towards a treatment. Just asking questions that break someone down without an endgoal decays their mental health.

I was being sarcastic but whatever.

>Bat-hound, Bat-Mite
You mean characters that showed up last month? Why do whiners never read comics?

That's not a question a therapist would ask. A therapist would ask about what happened, why it happened, and what you're going to do about. Not "uh why are you sad your family died lol"

Was there just no oversight in Sanctuary? Therapy is a reciprocal thing, the patient has to want to get better. I feel like how Wally was responding to treatment should’ve raised red flags.

That's exactly the type of question a therapist would ask, it's about dealing with grief.

Sanctuary helped so much that Wally had a complete breakdown and killed everyone else because he went to go get help. Great facility.

But that's not helping him deal with it. It's not addressing the problem or the source of the grief. It's not like he doesn't recognize the grief. It's not like he doesn't know why he's sad. That's why he went there in the first place.

A real facility would also have safety measures in place to ensure that the patients don't hurt themselves or each other, t. stayed for five days in one.

I can't really blame Bats for that. Nothing he could do could stop an insane Wally West. Dude's on the razor's edge of being a God on Earth half the time. A lot of his stories are literally "I'm so powerful that I need to chill out or I'll become an unfeeling, distant godlike being"

>It's not addressing the problem or the source of the grief
It's trying to.
>It's not like he doesn't recognize the grief
That's exactly the problem.

The problem is that he's aware of why he's depressed and the robot isn't doing anything to help him deal with that?

No the problem is that he's avoiding the true root of his depression.

No he's not. The root of his depression is his family was erased from history and he has no way to get them back. He's very cognizant of that. That's why he goes there, to deal with that survivor's guilt. But the robot treats him like he doesn't even know what's going on. It seems like it's the other way around.

Like I said, not a very good mental health facility if it drove Wally to insanity.

His problem isn't that, his problem is his intense feeling of isolation. That's what he fixated on and what he failed to address. Sanctuary was trying to point that out but he refused to. It's only when he was confronted with that truth that he had an emotional breakdown.

Because they are a Petri dish separated as a control group from the rest of the world and do not need to be informed to be correct. Everything was obviously better when it was cute and silly, that's just fact.

You actually bought into the fucking character assassination and the faux therapy King presents, that's amazing.

If Wally's issue is not that his family is dead then this book is stupider and worse than even I thought it was.

That doesn't make any sense. Just prior to going to Sanctuary he finally reunited with Iris who shared Wally's situation, coming to terms with memories of a lost world. He was literally, finally, no longer alone in how he felt and what his situation was. Wally went to Sanctuary not because he was isolated and alone (he was not, Iris was there) but because he finally knew about his family and they were gone and he had no way to save them.

Ah yes, Batman. The pinnacle of mental health

>Yea Forums thinks it's an expert on therapy because it spends all day screaming at the computer screen because a black man kissed a white woman in a comic book two weeks ago

I understand what King was going for, but his execution was beyond mishandled and made Wonder WOman seem like an elitist prick. If anything she should be one of the first people to "go with it" to encourage the other heroes to not be scared of opening themselves up and making themselves more vulnerable than they ever have been fighting villains. She could have been that light showing them all it's okay to break down. Even the best of them acknowledges that they can't do this alone. But what do I know? It's not like I've actually sat in on a multitude of group meetings at the VA hospital and actually saw what therapy was like firsthand for these people are anything. King strikes me as a fucking PTSD poser. Someone that has no real understanding of mental trauma and flanderizes it to a point that it blatantly offends people. God damn.

A lot of fictional people that Tom King can carefully orchestrate to be in support of his argument without actually needing it to produce results.

Okay but did you go through a traumatic experience where your entire personal history was rewritten out of existence or did you just get an anxiety attack because you get triggered by identity politics?

If your only defense is to attack the validity of the other person's problems, then this entire book is dogshit because it's failed at King's outright stated goal to shed a light on and show compassion for people in need of help for these sorts of issues. But clearly, the best way to prove a book like that is actually good is to scream and whine at anyone who complains that their own experiences are not not reflected in this book by saying they don't count or don't matter.

She's the type of person who belittles her own issues and trauma because she thinks her problems are too small and resources would be better used elsewhere, implying she thinks her opening up would be burdensome and take away from other people that could be helped first. She's being overly compassionate and humble to other people's suffering at the price of her own healing. She's got a classic case of a martyr complex mixed with just suck it up and bear it, be a stoic warrior who doesn't show pain.

The irony of the post...

I'm pretty sure your experience isn't reflected because you weren't killed you fucking faggot.

If that's the fucking avenue you want to go down you fucking idiot, then King can't be allowed to write about it because it never happened to him. That's how stupid this reasoning of yours is.

Yeah man it's almost like depicting mental health patients like Wally as violent psychopaths and the rest as victims of violence from other patients is a really negative outlook and premise for a book purportedly about the mental health of heroes. You know, the mental health of a bunch of fucking corpses who never got out.

>then King can't be allowed to write about it because it never happened to him
Maybe he shouldn't when it comes to trauma and mental health. Just saying.

>it's almost like depicting mental health patients like Wally as violent psychopaths and the rest as victims of violence from other patients is a really negative outlook and premise for a book purportedly about the mental health of heroes
That's my fucking point. You're trying argue with me when you agree with me? Are you fucking retarded?

What the fuck are you two even arguing about.

The negative reaction and lack of basic understanding that this book gets finally cemented how fucking stupid people on this board are. It's not particularly great and doesn't live up to other series King has done, but it's still entirely readable and more enjoyable book than half of the shit Yea Forums praises.

You're the reason comics are shit.

It's more incidental. By law of averages he occasionally has to beat up rich people too.

Pretty sure that Tangled, Shazam and Sonic Boom are better than Heroes in Crisis. Anything else Yea Forums has been praising recently?

You call Harley doing nothing of value while still being on-panel more than any other character readable? You call Tom King's interpretation of Booster Gold readable? There's a lot wrong with this book even before you get into how retarded his grasp on psychiatry is.

Spencer spidey?

The big murder mystery was literally a bunch of made up bullshit he threw in at the end of the story. It's just an incredibly poorly told story from a character and plot standpoint. Its only value is the art.

Pot, meet kettle.

The mystery feels like editorial mandate to make the book more like an event akin to identity crisis.

At least the pot knows it's a fucking pot.

Also better than Heroes in Crisis, if a little meandering and predictable right now due to channeling way too much from previous arcs.

>akin to identity crisis.
Which is such a baffling move. NOBODY liked Identity Crisis, why the fucking hell is Didio so enamored with it when it's gone down as being in the top 3 worst events DC ever had?

Didio loves IC and so does a large portion of the readerbase. It's contentious, but if 50% of your fans love it then you're getting those readers.

Identity crisis is an evergreen trade paperback. That's why it keeps getting new collected editions, just like Loeb's shitastic Hush. It makes financial sense to mimic it. I'm positive this could likely do the same, because it also features plenty of big A-list name DCU people in its cast along while mixing in cult characters like Beetle and Booster with trendy upstarts like Harley in its primary core cast of characters.

I've been calling out King since the jump, you're the one sucking his dick as he shits out his therapy sessions while dragging a formerly great universe further into the darkness.

There was a brief period in pre-crisis DC where batman was well adjusted, had friends and family who cared about him. But everything since has been "Batman is just as crazy as the joker" hot takes from dipshit hacks

Nah I'd say the decade leading up to the New 52 showed him in the same light.

Morrison's run has them directly incongruous with modern interpretations of the character, reducing large swaths of his post Golden Age and early Silver Age stories to being hallucinations.

>his problem is his intense feeling of isolation.
Which Sanctuary did nothing to rectify. In fact, it actively made it worse. Because Wally wasn't allowed to interact with the other patients, not only was he even more isolated than before, he had managed to convince himself that he was the only patient and that this was all a ruse made just for him. And we saw how that turned out.
If Wally had been allowed to speak with, say, Roy, who was also at Sanctuary, none of this would have happened.

Vision was lame and everyone who cried reading it should unironically kill themselves

This is the biggest problem. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman set up an off the grid mental health facility without proper supervision or any professionals on the premise. They were incredibly negligent and should be held accountable for everything that went wrong there.

Instead, Wally will be used as the scapegoat and the Trinity will get away scot free.
There was no oversight just an AI programmed by Batman that allegedly had WW compassion.

No, it's literally the exact opposite dummy. Incorporating the lighthearted stuff that everyone casts aside into a modern interpretation of the character, making his entire 75 year history canon. Try rereading it slowly next time.

>Because Wally wasn't allowed to interact with the other patients

It was entirely up to the patients if they wanted to mingle or not. The default assumption was people wanted privacy due to the personal and sensitive nature of their issues.

>It was entirely up to the patients if they wanted to mingle or not
No, it wasn't. Wally wasn't allowed to interact with anyone else there in order to protect everyone's anonymity (it's also why they wore those weird cloaks and masks), that's why Wally was suspicious and thought that the whole place was fake and made just for him.

You just know that, regardless of how fucking awful Heroes in Crisis was and how it sums up a lot of the worst aspects of King's writing, it's going to be swept under the rug in a few years and people will still dickride Vision, Omega Men or his Batman run to no end.

It's baffling how does a guy like King manage to achieve such an army of sycopanths.
I 100% believe that Heroes in Crisis, even if published exactly the way it is, would have won an Eisner if it wasn't for the sheer backlash it got everywhere.

Attached: 1520101729061.jpg (720x480, 37K)

he agrees with you but has to defend Heroes In Crisis

Except the idea of Sanctuary is that it's an open secret that dates to before Wally was The Flash. Other heroes have gone there before Wally ever went crazy with grief.

Batman knew what he was doing. If he got these unhinged over powered costumed vigilantes real help they might stop playing along and ruin his whole power fantasy.

That's actually debatale. Arkham also has VR therapy, but it's in a controlled environment with other patients and an actual doctor present.

Attached: Arkham group therapy.jpg (750x1153, 231K)

>PTSD poser

What? The fact he only knows how to portray mental illness and trauma in one disingenuous way didn’t tip you off?

His Booster and Wally are the exact same people. Maybe he got confused

You can not like the book without calling Tom King a fraud, you got no leg to stand on to call him a fake.

I guess I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and convey all the layers of mental illness and trauma present in superhuman culture, but as I continued and saw that "Sanctuary" isn't really critical to the plot as it's really just the Booster/Harley show with Wally. He just let me down.

I dislike the book for a multitude of other reasons. Go to bed, King.