I'm new to capeshit. Where should I start with Marvel comics...

I'm new to capeshit. Where should I start with Marvel comics? I don't want to have to read 40 years of backlog to follow a plot, or dip into sixty different series's because the writers want you to buy more comics for the complete story.

Basically, whats some marvel capeshit that doesn't pull typical capeshit tropes?

Attached: marvel-comics-retro-badge-featuring-captain-america_u-l-q134t3w0.jpg (550x550, 101K)

Who's your favorite character? Look into their first Omnibus or Epic Collection, depending on your finances and preferences to hardcover or paperback. InStockTrades and Amazon are your best bets if you don't have a local shop.

I'd recommend the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus #1. $90 on Amazon, reprinting the entire Stan Lee/Steve Ditko run. Or FF Omnibus #1. The first 30 issues of the FF. It's smaller so it's only $60. Thor by Walt Simonson is another great option. It's about $80-90

>Basically, whats some marvel capeshit that doesn't pull typical capeshit tropes?
None. Marvel has never done anything outside the box.

>Basically, whats some marvel capeshit that doesn't pull typical capeshit tropes?
what do you mean by capeshit tropes?

anyways go to the local comic store and get anything with a number 1 on it. its a myth that you need to know all the history. as long as you know who a character is, youre good.

Anything published before 1990. It's where the masterworks are.

>Anything with a number 1
Well not exactly especially since in recent years Marvel has had the habit of relaunching midarc to try and get a boost of 1 collectors.
Plus a lot of it's trash.

Technically this. Modern marvel shit is mostly terrible. X-stuff is the most obvious recomendation, but prepare to be dissapointed because you won't have any satisfing conclusion whatsoever.

You don't have to read most series from the beginning, but a lot of Marvel books back in the 60s and 70s were really good. Are there any particular characters you're interested in? That would help narrow down what to recommend to you. Until then, here are some good books that are coming out now.

>Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing
Bruce Banner was dead. Then he wasn't, and he won't stay dead anymore. Diving deep into Hulk lore while still being accessible to new readers, this is probably the most hyped series Marvel is putting out with the first issues getting a 5th printing as demand doesn't seem to be slowing down. It treats the Hulk more as a monster and has some gruesome body horror in the art. Check out the first issue and keep going if you like it.
>Doctor Strange by Mark Waid
After a lackluster first issue this has become the best run Strange has had in years. It starts with him being sent into space and studying alien magic, and is loved for bringing Strange back to his roots in personality and tone. That may not sound appealing to you as a new reader, but there's a reason those stories are classics. Issue 9 is a good standalone to give you a taste of it if you don't want to start with the first arc.
>Meet The Skrulls
A five issue mini-series with one left to go, it's the story of a family of shape-shifting Skrull spies on Earth with a mission to infiltrate and destroy a covert project designed to detect and kill hidden Skrulls like them. An all-around good book with family drama and plenty of twists.

I have a similar question but specific to the amazing spider-man - I just read the first story with green goblin(#15 I think). when is the series done being a "monster of the week" kind of action with the characters describing their every action in the dialogue and when do some interesting, multi-issue stories start?

In the 1980s.

nice, I guess I'll just enjoy the camp for now

>I don't want to have to read 40 years of backlog to follow a plot

I still think it’s amazing that this is the same worry every new comic book reader has.

OP just pick your favorite character, look up suggested readings and go from there. If you have general knowledge of a character and their origin, there isn’t much backlog you need to follow up due to reboots and the sliding timescale.

Eventually you will find certain writers and artists you like and you can branch out to other stuff or characters they’ve worked on.

>what do you mean by capeshit tropes?
>Stories that require multiple other comics to understand. "Confused, check out [random shit character you don't care about] #34 and be ready to be confused still because you didn't read the first 33 issues of his shit"
>Massive arcs that again require a bunch of reading elsewhere
>Characters dropping in that you're meant to know
>Nothing ever happens or progresses because the wrtier doesn't have permission to do anything of value

>I still think it’s amazing that this is the same worry every new comic book reader has.
Its because most cape comis do this? Marvel and DC are terrible for this, and they know that, why do you think you get reboots now and then? Its the only way to attract new readers.

You don't need to know a thing to start most books. I got started with random, out of order Marvel Essentials volumes that were at my library, and my first DC reads were the very continuity-heavy No Man's Land and 52. The companies only keep doing that because people think they need a reboot to jump on when they don't.

Some people don't like starting a book in the middle.

As long as you start at the beginning of an arc it's more like starting with The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes instead of A Study in Scarlet.

>>Stories that require multiple other comics to understand. "Confused, check out [random shit character you don't care about] #34 and be ready to be confused still because you didn't read the first 33 issues of his shit"
doesnt happen as much as you think. in most comics, itll be like "the villain was defeated in issue 4" or whatever. you dont need to read prior issues for that sort of thing. the only time you need to read prior issues is for miniseries; doomsday clock, mister miracle stuff like that.
>>Massive arcs that again require a bunch of reading elsewhere
then dont read event comics. or read DC comics instead of marvel
>>Characters dropping in that you're meant to know
dont read event comics or look up that character on the internet
>>Nothing ever happens or progresses because the wrtier doesn't have permission to do anything of value
what do you mean?

in short, stay away from books like
>civil war
>age of ultron
>infinity war/gauntlet
>maybe dark phoenix saga

most arcs have a numbering system, so like an arc may start on spiderman 50 and end on spiderman 62 and then that arc is done. its not like manga where you need to start from volume 1. you can start anywhere and the comic will tell you what happened in prior issues if the current story has to do with prior issues. or you can accept the thing and move on. in grant morrisons JLA, superman was made of blue lighting and then he wasnt. for some reason also in the same run, wonder woman was hippolyta and not diana. just roll with it.

if you wanna read superheroes in general, id say read either new 52 DC or DC rebirth

Attached: 30 year old boomer.png (380x349, 77K)

They don't really though. It's mostly just an excuse by lazy "would be readers" and businessmen using the relaunch/reboot as a marketing gimmick.
My favorite comic was one of my first based around a 4 decade old character, the lead into the run was an entire different run based around a different 4 decade old character and an event that followed the fall out of that run, regularly referenced old events in the characters lives from previous comics as well as referencing noncomic material relevant to the character. I understood all of it as a none too bright teenager.
Is this the case for all comics? No, I won't pretend that's the case but it is for MOST comics. Especially if it's good, a good comic doesn't need to be propped up on the continuity meme, it just tells an entertaining story.

Attached: .png (1440x803, 647K)

>Especially if it's good, a good comic doesn't need to be propped up on the continuity meme, it just tells an entertaining story.

this. dark knight returns and kingdom come are examples of this.

Miller Daredevil
Moench Moon Knight
Bendis Alias

X-statix breaks a lot of capeshit tropes on purpose

Think about like this, you dont need to read like 30 years of peanuts strips to enjoy the peanuts strip in the Sunday funnies. All you need to know who Charlie Brown is.

>whats some marvel capeshit that doesn't pull typical capeshit tropes?
So what you're saying is you would rather just watch the movies because you clesely don't like the idea of reading comics.

>MCU
>marvel capeshit that doesn't pull typical capeshit tropes
wut

Why do you want to read comics if you clearly dont like the idea of it

>Criticise MCU
>Why do you read comics?

T. Casual

What? Are you OP?

Name one Marvel story that has the same energy of creativity as DC during the British invasion.

>inb4 Fraction's Hawkeye

Not Marvel, but probably the best beginner's comic for a newbie.

Attached: DoBuX4FVAAEuFz0.jpg (750x1125, 222K)

Quasar?

See? Pathetic.

>I'm new to capeshit. Where should I start with Marvel comics?
Ah jeez

Attached: 1555034512036.jpg (295x362, 27K)

Based and DCpilled

>Immortal Hulk
>Doctor Strange
>Meet The Skrulls
besides these three, I really like Black Order but who knows if it's new reader friendly for OP. I guess along as you saw the movies and know a little bit of Infinity War event you'll be good.

>as long as you saw the movies

Attached: WHYY.jpg (320x240, 8K)

Is there Darkhawk omnibus? I read the first few issues of his newest run a few years ago and really enjoyed it

that way you don't have to read Hickman's Infinity cause that's part of an even larger story starting with his Fantastic Four then sprawling over to his Avengers run then Infinity kicks in and it all ends with Secret War which restarted the Marvel continuity and universe.