Hey look everyone comic book sales are doing better

Hey look everyone comic book sales are doing better.

Attached: comic sales1.jpg (720x849, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-03.html
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2018.html
comichron.com/vitalstatistics/marketshares.html
icv2.com/articles/news/view/41000/icv2-interview-dc-co-pubs-comics-graphic-novel-market-trends-walmart-management-changes-at-t-acquisition
statista.com/statistics/184055/estimated-revenue-of-us-periodical-publishers-since-2005/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Attached: comic sales2.jpg (720x1034, 118K)

Attached: comic sales3.jpg (720x922, 107K)

>Hey look everyone comic book sales are doing better.
Kinda. By the chart, everything is doing better with the exception of one category. Single issue floppies are plateauing and likely declining. The trade market is definitely growing and the digital market is experiencing some small growth. Didio was right.

>digital comics is a format
>graphic novel is different from comic books somehow

>graphic novel is different from comic books somehow
trades are not floppies, that is correct.

trades and floppies aren't comic books and graphic novel synonyms at all.

look at those icons and tell me that isn't what they mean.

Well, it's hard to buy single issue floppies nowadays.

From an outsider's perspective, it's easier to just get a trade so they can get a whole story instead of being stuck with part 3 of 5 of a spider-man story that they'll never bother collection the rest of because they are normies who doesn't know when the next issue comes out, how to get back issues, or how the numbering system works.

>Single issue floppies are plateauing and likely declining.

What people forget is that 2015-2016 had a lot of things going on:
-In January 2015, Star Wars ongoing by Marvel got launched, and the first issue got at least a million orders, and for the rest of 2015 the book was doing around 100,000. The subsequent movies badly hurt sales though, and now the Star Wars ongoing did 40,514 in March, possibly going below that next month. Star Wars actually used to be Marvel's highest selling ongoing during 2015 to maybe 2017.
-Secret Wars was launched and that was Marvel's biggest selling event for the 2010's.
-The ramifications of how badly Marvel botched things in 2015 (doing a meaningless, unnecessary relaunching of all titles, including titles that just started the prior year) was already starting to get felt by the end of the year when retailers were complaining about it.
-Rebirth was a major success for DC in 2016.
-Hastings was one of the biggest retailers ordering from the direct market and shut down in 2016 because of how mismanaged the stores were, among other things. That probably took a chunk off.

Marvel was definitely badly declining in 2016 because of the reaction from readers to Civil War 2 (the book looks like it sold well, but the things that you'd think would draw in readers like the death of Hulk or new Iron Man replacements, didn't; in fact I think people were saying the tie-ins actually harmed sales on some books) and non-readers were upset about the Hydra reveal. They pissed off way too many people that year and it hurt sales for 2017.

Thanks OP, but I choose to ignore this evidence and continue insisting that comics are dying and/or dead. I also promise to present myself as a knowledgeable and informed authority in every conversation on the subject, despite lacking any charts of my own. And finally, I shall praise the superiority of Japan and place the blame on my personal boogeymen The SJWs whenever the opportunity arises.

>movies don't affect books they said

What the fuck? Why did 2018 do better than 2017? REEEEEE

Are books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Smile included in the GN sales? That would explain the uptick there as those children's GNs sell a ton. I don't really know what from DC, Marvel or Image would case a big uptick in GN sales again.

The floppy sales only getting a small bump is interesting given how many big series came out in 2018 like Metal, Action Comics 1000, Doomsday Clock, ASM 800, and I think some more. With all these big events and issues you would expect a bigger bump.

How much is Marvel and DCs share from this?

>Are books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Smile included in the GN sales?

This is based on Comichron's charts and ICV2's digital charts, so no.

Which reminds me, I wonder when Brian Hibbs will analyze the 2018 Bookscan chart.

Yes and no. most of the boosts would be on the TPB, and not necessarily the ongoing. But the ongoing is necessary to fund a TPB.

Is this from the article of the beat?

so basically only the old stuff is selling while people have stopped reading new stuff doe to the sjw crap in it

Wishful thinking. They stopped reading because the comics are simply bad.

I want a list of the top 100 best selling graphic novels
Would not surprise me at all when most if not all are just reprints of classic stories

floppies at least don´t seem to have increased much. Wouldn´t surprise me if the increase is only due to price hikes while unit sales are actually down once again

the reason comics are bad is because of sjws
they are the once who hire people based on skin color and gender instead of talent and they are the once who insit on destroying beloved white male heroes and replacing good storytelling with pushing propaganda

It's from 2018 dumbass. Not 2019

If Brian Hibbs does his 2018 bookscan article he will have the top 750 graphic novels listed. Everything from the big comic publishers broken down by how much each publisher made that year.

let me guess
unit sales are down meaning less people spent more money on comics?
doesn´t sound like a healthy strategy

Comichron's monthly sales report includes a graphic novel list.

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-03.html

The top 10 from March were:
>Walking Dead Vol 31
>Detective Comics 80 Years of Batman Dlx Ed HC
>Saga vol 1
>Monstress vol 1
>Wicked & Divine vol 8
>Seven to Eternity vol 3
>Batman vol 9
>Super Sons The Polarshield Project DC Zoom
>Saga vol 9
>Mera Tidebreaker

Man with Raina shipping two books this year its going to look like crazy growth in 2018

i want the sales for all of 2018 with unite numbers compared to the last few years.
I want to know if the growth is spearheaded by new or old stuff and if they growth is actually due to increase in prices or units

>Super Sons The Polarshield Project DC Zoom
>Mera Tidebreaker
Nice. Looks like the Zoom stuff and the new young adult stuff is working out.

Attached: Super Sons.jpg (318x454, 30K)

How retarded is every creator and dumbass here that they think smaller than inflation "growth" is actual growth?

Prices have raised, Id wager less units actually shipped than in 2016. If units moved in 2016 were moved on 2018 it would have been a 400 million increase.

isn´t that just an estimate not a final report?
I remember there being a similar report around december which first showed growth but then had to be updated and showed another decline compared to 2018

I know for a fact that unit ships for floppies where down in 2018 compared to 2017 and 2019 so far has been worse then 2018 ytd as well

But I thought diversity was killing comic books and comic moviea?

Fact would imply you have a source and you don't. But I wouldn't be surprised as a good 10 relatively well known stores have closed in the last year.

I frankly do not believe they e shipped more trades in 2018 than 2017. For instance this says that LCSs are doing at least a third of the trade selling and that's simply not factual.

>i want the sales for all of 2018
Come on, man. Do a tiny bit of looking for yourself.

Top 10 graphic novels of 2018:
>Infinity Gauntlet
>Saga Vol. 9
>Saga Vol. 1
>Saga Vol. 8
>Action Comics 80 Years of Superman HC
>Walking Dead Vol. 29 Lines We Cross
>Paper Girls Vol. 1
>Batman White Knight
>Dark Nights Metal Deluxe Ed HC
>Monstress Vol. 1

First off the comic gains are not from the big 2. It was marvel who's sales were killed by a diversity push and this inarguably happened last year.

Secondly nobody ever claimed diversity would hurt the movies.

>they did
No, they didn't.

where are the total unit sales form 2018 compared to 2017
I want to know if less was being sold for more
the top seller INFINITY GAUNTLET is sold for $24.99 so that is a fair question

>only the old stuff is selling
Why would you think that? There are people who prefer to buy trades rather than floppies, that's all.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Inflation is rarely ever more than 2-3%. Take a look at the dollar sales figures over the past couple decades and it's well outpaced that.
>but the past two years have been selling less!
True, but a two year dip is not useful of the long term trend of the market

Attached: sales.png (694x810, 34K)

Someone answer me

How much of these sales are by the Big Two?

Especially as I seen a lot argue that Superhero Comics are only a small part of the Comic industry I wanna know if it's TRUE

Holy shit how much spoonfeeding do you need? I'm giving you the website with all of the information available.

>2018: $516.59 Million, 84.37 million copies
>2017: $522.25 Million, 89.44 million copies

2018 is slightly down from 2017

>I'll tell you you're wrong based on nothing other than my feelings

The dollar became weaker in the last two years as prices have risen across the economy. The actual inflation rate as a result is someone around 4 since 2016.

But sure, just continue to spout how you feel. The market as a whole rebounded from a terrible slide in 2017. It hasn't even recovered to where it was in 2016.

Ignoring down turns because they happen to be at the end of the graph and don't line up with optimistic projection is how the economy collapsed in 2008.

comichron.com/vitalstatistics/marketshares.html

Attached: market-share.png (901x724, 559K)

so why do people pretend like comics are doing good again?
less is being sold

wow so dc and marvel really did do better before they went all sjw

Because they're idiots or lying. But most likely the former and because they were told by liars or idiots that it was good.

2018 wasn't even close to rebounding to 2016 numbers. Why do you think DC was dropping execs like writers who can't sell?

Somewhere*

I'm not arguing against the fact that 2017 and 2018 are worse than the few years prior, but even if you adjust for inflation, both of those years' sales are better than almost anything prior to 2012. Once again, do a little bit of research before saying whatever pops into your head

Inflation adjusted sales in 2018 dollars:
>2008: $306.74
>2009: $301.84 million
>2010: $282.96 million
>2011: $277.34 million

Because they are doing good... outside of the LCS. In the bookstore market.

And every person in this thread who only cares about floppy sales for Marvel and DC is part of the cancer.

Marvel has a bigger market share than before you idiots started yelling about SJWs, but sure ok.

It's likely that in the next two to three years as digital platforms solidify and bigger phones become the standard, comics and graphic novel sales will be back up

>5 million less units
Thats 200 one shots selling 50k each.

The industry IS NOT doing better.

2013-2016 was a huge spike in comic sales, 2017 and 2018 are still up long term. See:

Where did you get those numbers?

Just above 2012 is at 800mil. There was not a tripling of the entire market over a single year.

Comichron's published numbers and an easily accessible inflation calculator.

>long term
Extending back an arbitrary amount to make a claim doesn't make it reliable.

One could just as easily say "longer term they're down".

Compare the five year window. Sales are down.

So they always had a more than 50% combined market share?

Why do people pretend that that Capeshit doesn't dominate The American Comic industry then?

That's only print, go ahead and use the same terms and numbers the entire thread is premised on.

Because they're faggots. Much like the faggots claiming sales aren't down because they're larger than they were almost ten years ago when the industry was at its lowest point.

marvel got really into sjw around 2013 and 2014 then they got a spike thanks to getting the star wars comics.
by the graph marvel had a hire share form 07 to 11 then it is having now after producing nothing but sjw propaganda for years

2008 and 2009 were during a huge recession
if you compare the numbers
adjusted for inflation sales where higher in 2007 and 2006 then they are now

Who pretends that capeshit doesn't dominate American comic sales? Even people who hate capeshit admit that much.

Comchron's numbers including digital only go back to 2011, so this is everything inflation adjusted (in millions):
>2011: $798.18
>2012: $880.43
>2013: $937.78
>2014: $991.76
>2015: $1,091.23
>2016: $1,135.18
>2017: $1,039.79
>2018: $1,095

2017 and 2018 still show growth over long term, only falling short 3.5% from the peak in 2016.

>if you compare the numbers adjusted for inflation sales where higher in 2007 and 2006 then they are now
It only just falls short of the 2007 amount, and still shows growth since then after the recession.
(in 2018 dollars, millions)
>2003: $423.88
>2004: $436.35
>2005: $453.01
>2006: $492.69
>2007: $520.76
>2008: $509.20
>2009: $500.96
>2010: $490.42
>2011: $462.16
>2018: $516.59

I've been wondering, do we even have to care about comic sales ?
These days most of the money capeshit makes is from Vidya and toys, comics seem to just exist to remind us Spider-Man is a thing.

Every single time someone criticizes Western Comic books for being too Superhero centric some Stan comes along and says "Superhero Comics don't even represent most of the industry"

I don't disagree that they're up on earlier years. Where we depart is our projection based on that. I see no reason for optimism when DC alone is slashing possible units they could move this year which means less frequent trades even if it MAYBE means a few more OGNS (which requires timely completion by creators). This will be reflected not just in 2019 but going forward lest they re-bloom their lines to make up for these lost titles and the thousands of sales they represent.

given that marvel barely represents any of the last months top ten I have little reason to believe they'll be a source for growth.

>I've been wondering, do we even have to care about comic sales ?
This is a board about comics and cartoons. That's the point of the board. It's what is talked about here. That's like going to Yea Forums and saying "Why are we talking about books when there's the show/movie out there?"

You might be misunderstanding the conversation. You might be seeing separate conversations and conflating them together.

In the American LCS, superhero comics make up the majority of sales, but they don't make up the majority of comics available. They're outnumbered by other comics from other publishers, although those comics have fewer sales.

And then in American bookstores, superhero comics MIGHT be outsold by non-superhero comics, but it's hard to say because we don't have exact numbers. Nielsen Bookscan plans to offer exact numbers starting in 2020.

And then in non-American Western comics, superhero comics are definitely outnumbered and outsold by non-superhero comics.

Because this is Yea Forums not Yea Forums.

Disney and Warners/AT&T don't give a fuck about these numbers. The entire industry is smaller than disneys last weekend with avengers and they're half the size of AT&T

It's possible you're right, but at this point it's all speculation. What I'm sick and tired of is people who don't understand how trends or math works making these threads and proclaiming "Sales are less than 2016! DC and Marvel are finished!" The existing data shows healthy growth of the industry. Could that change in the future? Sure.

>I see no reason for optimism when DC alone is slashing possible units they could move this year which means less frequent trades even if it MAYBE means a few more OGNS (which requires timely completion by creators).
They're slashing titles because as and shows, the direct market and singles are stagnant. They're simply reducing their footprint in those areas and branching out in areas of growth, which is their new Zoom and Ink imprints. And even just looking at it looks like it's doing fine. Accounting for the new lines, DC publishes about the same amount of material as they have in the past. It's just a different location of focus. It's something we've known about for a while now.

icv2.com/articles/news/view/41000/icv2-interview-dc-co-pubs-comics-graphic-novel-market-trends-walmart-management-changes-at-t-acquisition

And what I'm sick and tired of is faggots claiming this shit means anyone who complains about sales is proven wrong.

We aren't even out of the hole that was last year.

You say any of this like I didnt know or acknowledge it and as if it's guaranteed success. We have no numbers for the Walmart sales or their sell-through numbers (especially since they're just leeching LCS sales and many sold out due to that exclusivity. This proves floppyfags will elbow kids out of the way for comics and nothing more). We also don't have book store sales for OGNs which is where the growth would need to be because if the stagnation of floppy sales is the reason for branching into book stores it makes no sense to imagine the paltry LCS GN sales will be stronger. Nobody intentionally pays 10-20% more at a random store they need to find on a hobby they think "weekly" is to frequent for.

Real growth would come from subverting Diamond and opening up distribution for floppies because even normies imagine floppies when they think comics. If newstands and grocers and pharmacies had floppies still they'd sell better.

>Real growth would come from subverting Diamond and opening up distribution for floppies because even normies imagine floppies when they think comics. If newstands and grocers and pharmacies had floppies still they'd sell better.
Diamond does NOT restrict comics from being sold at newsstands, grocery stores and pharmacies. Go to one right now and you'll see Archie.

Your favorite capes aren't sold there because the publishers DO NOT WANT to sell there. In the direct market, the LCS keeps all unsold copies with no refunds, but in the newsstand market, the publisher has to buy back all the unsold copies. Marvel and DC fucking CHOOSE to stay away from newsstands/grocers/pharmacies because they think they would lose money in that market.

Archie is the only publisher that can survive in that market because they're bland and nostalgic enough to make the perfect impulse buy.

>We also don't have book store sales for OGNs

We do have Bookscan, which reports TPB and GN sales from bookstores. If an OGN doesn't make it on the list, then the sales on that are lower than whatever was the lowest on the chart.

>And what I'm sick and tired of is faggots claiming this shit means anyone who complains about sales is proven wrong.
What it does prove is that you're bitching is not based on a good understanding of data analysis. the "hole" we were in last year is still well up in terms of long term growth, and only a slight decrease from the exceptionally strong 2016.

Instead of looking at a bunch of data that show increasing growth and taking the obvious conclusion from that, you look for any possible opportunity to say "we don't have 100% of the data in this specific sector of the market; that must mean that it is doing horribly and out of line with the rest of what we do know." The only thing backing up your ideas is not data, but gut feelings and opinions of what you think people are doing.

>We have no numbers for the Walmart sales or their sell-through numbers.
>We also don't have book store sales for OGNs.
You know who does thought? The people who actually publish the books and are coincidentally broadening their footprint in those locations.
>If newstands and grocers and pharmacies had floppies still they'd sell better.
Please stop repeating this fucking meme. Periodicals and print media worldwide is dying with comics and graphic novels being the sole exception. Adding comics back to groceries and pharmacies is not going to change that and magically bring things to some mythical unit sale glory days.
statista.com/statistics/184055/estimated-revenue-of-us-periodical-publishers-since-2005/

Attached: Periodical Revenues.png (685x433, 24K)

>If newstands and grocers and pharmacies had floppies still they'd sell better.

No they wouldn't. There's a reason why Marvel gave up on that market in 2013 and why DC gave it up in 2017.

Newsstands/Grocery Stores/Pharmacies don't want to stock comics because they don't sell well enough for them. They want a higher price point and they want returnability on all titles, just like magazines. They also won't stock every Marvel and DC title being published. And forget about seeing a lot of indie comics in a pharmacy. Marvel tried to make another go round in recent years by having Archie sell digests collecting various Marvel stories, but that ended recently.

Getting rid of the direct market to take another unproven risk on the newsstand market is an extremely stupid risk at this point. It might've worked back in the 90's and early 00's, but in the 10's it's harder.

I think that if comics got rid of the direct market and went back to newsstand/grocery/pharmacy only back in the 00's, it would've been far more catastrophic for the comics market, because then they'd get affected by the downturn in periodicals like all other magazines.

Also I'm aware of Alterna Comics trying out the newsstand market, because I see their comics at Barnes and Noble's magazine racks. They can do this because they're a small company and have chances at taking risks to see what works. Other companies might not be able to do that. And I'll give them props for actually trying to test out things rather than sitting around and demanding the direct market die just so comics can be sold in grocery stores.

>Shills got REALLY pissed when it was pointed out that a distributional monopoly is hindering the industry

Where are the shills?

Do you really think this sale report is good news?

If so kill yourself.

It nkt stop overreacting as if I said I want the industry to be doing so poorly. I'm not going to sit here while some faggot questions if I know what inflation is, proves HE didn't know the rate of inflation, and then goes on to act as if a sales dip that would create a fucking recession at a larger scale is a hole. This industry makes less than single films make in a weekend, films based on their IP and you delusionally make enemies out of anyone who claims it isn't good news just because it's not tanking further.

I have never brought up any content for why I think sales are shit. It's very clear you want to argue with someone who WANTS the industry to die. I just refuse to allow you faggots to REE at them as if this is indicative of a strong industry.

>and then goes on to act as if a sales dip that would create a fucking recession at a larger scale isn't*** a hole

>If so kill yourself.

Yeah, that's a real good way to tell your posts are "serious," by using a mold old memephrase from Ancient Yea Forums.

>I'M the oldfag here you edgy kiddo

Nah faggot, kill yourself. You just didn't want to respond in any meaningful way.

Keep crying and spouting childish insults because you don't have any data to back up anything you say. Now you're shifting the goalposts to the fact that the comics industry makes less than movies? Well shit, I guess comics have been in dire straights since literally forever. Just admit you don't know what you're talking about. Take the L like an adult.

You're right, I'm sorry....

I didn't shift the goal post at all learn to read.

Why larp?

man, Dark Horse isn't doing so well