So-called adult cartoons

>so-called adult cartoons
>the jokes are stuff that 13 year olds find funny

Attached: 378467649545.png (268x402, 107K)

Which makes me wonder. Did adults back then go to the theater to watch looney tunes or Tom & Jerry?

this movie felt like Seth Rogan trying to do South Park but without the effort or heart. The over-cursing became grating so quickly.
>Whoa what the fucking FUCK! This shitty fucking shit is fucking up my shit you cunt, SHIT! Fuck!

Yes, they were actually targeted at adult audiences. That's why Looney Tunes was so full of references to classic literature and opera. Obviously kids still went to theaters so they were still family friendly, but the old theatrical shorts were primarily aimed at adults.

what are examples of cartoons not aimed at adults back then ?

TV animation was mostly aimed at children, because it was dramatically lower quality and at the time barely economically viable. They'd air reruns of Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry theatrical shorts in the evenings when adults got off of work.

What happened then that we have this notion that animation must always be aimed at children unless it has poopy and dick jokes?

Sort of, they were usually shown before actual movies.

>>the jokes are stuff that 13 year olds find funny

reminds me of how weebs defend anime

The 70s created the idea that animation should be aimed at children only, and the generation that grew up watching animation on TV felt like it was aimed at kids because they WERE kids when it started to be heavily rerun. Adult animation actually went in a bunch of different directions in the 90s and early 00s, but the only really successful ones were the ones that were trying to be really crass for whatever reason. Biggest exceptions I can think of is early Simpsons and KotH, and even then both of those shows are comedies.

that's all his movies though
Sausage Party is more of an animated Seth Rogen DUDE WEED LMAO movie than an actual animated movie

>TV animation was mostly aimed at children,

tv didn't exist until the 60's

Attached: Daffy bait.png (800x600, 19K)

You can get the same story from what Jim Henson went through with the muppets. The man kept wanting to make shows for adults, but the success of stuff like Sesame Street made it hard to see them as anything but children's entertainment. Now we got this subversive culture that's making adult muppet shows, but it's just crass and immature with none of the wit Jim was actually pushing for.

That's just the way things go when it comes to entertainment. For every one person wanting "high-brow" comedy, there's a dozen who would laugh at a woman with comically large breasts knocking things over in her daily life. This is the reason why you saw statements like "I love British humor" or "I prefer Japanese animation to Western" back in the 90s, because there was a public perception that Black Adder or Yes, Minister are intelligent shows, and anime was dark, serious, and mature.

there was no tv in the 40's

A: there was
B: there's a whole decade between the 40s and 60s where TV first became massively popular in.

"Adult" cartoons all aim for 11-18 year old boys. Actual adults either don't watch cartoons or they watch children's cartoons. If you're over the age of 22 and you enjoy adult cartoons you're probably very dumb.

>the only really successful ones were the ones that were trying to be really crass for whatever reason

Attached: Cool World brad pitt 01.jpeg.jpg (350x262, 14K)

>and anime was dark, serious, and mature
*breathes in*

Probably has something to do with the decline of theatrical animation afterwards