The MCU Regret Thread

With the Golden Age of the MCU now over I think it’s time we had an MCU Regret Thread.

ITT: Is there anything you wish the MCU had done differently from a storytelling perspective Yea Forums?

Attached: 3C80D9E3-9287-434E-BC64-0F55FC175BBB.jpg (739x415, 31K)

The Mandarin

Not pandered to China so hard with Doctor Strange and not let Dan Harmon anywhere near it

I wish Quicksilver lived

Not gonna lie; every single movie before GOTG was bad. And several afterwards were below average. Now that we've reached the end, it was absolutely pivotal to give Iron man, Cap'n and Thor a strong foundation which they never got, leading to a lot of disconnect even in something as wonderful as Endgame.

Ultron and Quicksilver.

>Captain America 1 and 2
>Bad

Secret Identities.

Maybe not for Iron Man since Tony Stark is a normal human. But I genuinely think Thor and Cap having a secret identity would add a lot to their narrative. How can Thor be believed to be protector of the mortal realms if he has not been in the shoes of Donal Blake or Jake Olson? How can Cap be expected to represent USA if he doesn’t know what life is like for the average American? Plus, just like Spidey, having a secret identity to protect adds another dimension to the plot of a movie.

Attached: C5B936DA-72B4-4EAA-AA53-32F1217DEF16.jpg (774x396, 63K)

Terrible.

Quicksilver. I'm sad that they'd killed him and they had an ending which he lived. Also sad that they said an unexpected character was coming back and it wasn't him.

I wish mutants were real.

Cast Carol Danvers as someone the fuck else

This, but mostly Ultron. James Spader had the perfect voice for Ultron and the perfect mindset but it was ruined by trying to make him like Loki. I don't mind if Ultron has humor but it should be dark and dry.

>Captain America, Gods, Righteous Man.
>Pretending you could live without a war

Yes, fucking perfect-

>I can't physically throw up in my mouth

Fucking ruined.

I wish Ultron was done better. The best part of Ultron is his dysfunctional and twisted parent-child relationship with Hank Pym and how Hank sees the darkest part of himself in Ultron and Ultron's continued existence is a constant reminder of how low he can and has gone as a human being and how flawed he is. You simply do not get that at all between Tony and Ultron.

Cap 1 was a great movie with boring action.
Cap 2 was a shit movie with good fights.
Both have glaring flaws that didn't get fixed later on.

Iron Man 1 is still the only competent over all movie that FEELS like the comic it comes from. Even Dr Strange has flaws in it's execution since Marvel has some weird fucking issue making action scenes feel tense, dark scenes feeling morose and comedy moments fitting where they should and mishmashes them all together in some sort of awful concoction that makes 90s muscle flicks look well structured. Iron Man 1 did all the above right. They didn't have Tony Stark popping puns and snarky comments while in a cave with terrorists. They didn't sugar coat the "well my weapons kill ALOT of people so I'm stopping that shit" with NOT MY FAULTLOLFUCKIRONMONGERSTHEBADGUY shit since Tony KNEW he was to blame for selling weapons everywhere. They didn't ruin the tension of the action scenes with dumb memes and images for publicity. It was, by marvel standards, a master piece.

Sadly there are two thirds left of the movie after the cave, and it's pretty awful. Iron man should've been a promo, not a full-length movie.

Killing two characters with potential (Black Widow, Quicksilver) for the sake of fucking Hawkguy.

>With the Golden Age of the MCU now over
I'm endlessly amused at how far you faggots have moved the goal posts on these flicks.

>Black Widow
>Potential

>Black Widow
I'd agree IF it wasn't for the fact they had Scarlett Johansson. They fucked up from the get go by having her anywhere near an acting career. At least Jeremy Renner is competent at acting but even in End Game, you can see how fucking deadpan and untalented SJ is when the sob scene is there. Fuck, even the scenes where SJ is MEANT to look stressed and upset just look like someone sprayed her with fake tears.

Fuck knows who'd make a better Black Widow but there's definitely a hundred better actresses that Marvel could have used.

-The whole Hulk situation starting with Norton
-Black Widow underused and never really getting into the nitty-gritty of her red ledger.
-Thor going from noble thunder god to wacky wahoo man
-That 1st Avengers Cap costume
-The Mandarin again
-Later movies feeling more like attachments to the Avengers saga instead of truly stand-alone flicks
-Tony's on and off again wanting to be a hero/have the suit/solve the world's problems

i wish they didn't use Civil War. It loses a lot of its impact when it only affects 12 people.

I thought it was a bad move, but for somewhat different reasons. The characters hadn't had as much history and interactions together as they've got in the comics, and the team had spent a big chunk of "The Avengers" by quarreling with each other (which was also something I disliked). I would've liked the movie series to do more friendship bonding moments between various characters before adapting a story where these friendships are torn.

This, the only thing that really mattered about it was muh freedom. In the comics, Civil War had actual consequences for people like Spider-Man.

Honestly I'm glad that the MCU stayed away from secret identities, it's too overdone as a plot point in previous super hero movies.

>No Whedon
>better Ultron (see above)
>Cap delivering heroic speech when he walks up to Thanos with Mjolnir

What about iron man 1? It’s not perfect but most people I think agree it was at least a decent movie

fpbp

Everything about Spider-Man.

You had a perfect setup for a Spidey that had been operating on the streets for years, giving us a college-age Spidey for the first time in forever since the Raimi films, but NOPE, we're back to high school with Peter, and making Midtown some sort of technical school for "geniuses" doesn't make it better, especially since they downplay Peter's supposed genius for making him "le relatable average teenager" in the worst way.

At the very least, they had the sense to skip the origin story that everyone and their grandma knows by now.

Also, turning him into a Tony Stark fanboy, as if RDJ needed additional fellating for his fucking ego.

Honestly, everything about his relationship with Tony takes away from Peter as a character. Sure, Peter makes his webbing and original webshooters from scratch, but it's fucking Tony who makes the MCU version of Spidey's iconic look, and even overhauls his webshooters. If Tony had let Peter loose in his lab for the sole purpose of making himself a new costume, it would have made it far more palatable, I think.

You could have had a scene where Peter gets to show off his overall genius and technical skills, having access to tools and materials he normally wouldn't have otherwise, and if you have to push a Stark/Parker mentorship dynamic, that would have been an ideal place to emphasize it.

Haven’t watched anything passed IW and I skipped DS, Spiderman, BP and and Ant-Man so I can’t judge those.
I will say that Iron man 2-3 was pretty weak and they need stronger villains (That leaves and impact).
Thor movies were all meh, I don’t get why though maybe they should focus more on Thor himself? The villains were kinda lame too.
AoU had a pretty lame Ultron, they should have made him emotionless and give him a better plan.
I don’t have any complaints for CW because it looks pretty good.
Idk this is all just my opinion and I’m not good at criticizing movies.

I think they made Tony Stark too smart as well. He's TOO smart. Shit like Time Travel isn't his area of knowledge and him busting out the equation/method after 20 minutes of effort when Lang and HulkBanner already HAVE the method, just not the equation is fellatio of the highest order and removes their purpose of characters. It's the curse of not having Hank Pym as Ant Man and as the "I make magic technology by pure fucking bullshit" while Stark normally works within the confines of his tech where the majority of his better stuff is just miniaturised/more efficient/bigger and more powerful versions of his own shit. Movie Stark is Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Amadeus Cho and Hank Pym all rolled into a single guy and it's fucking boring.

I wish they focused on making comics instead of mediocre action movies with comic characters in them.

Remove any and all time travel/alternate universe travel that didn't involve the time and space stones.

The villains, mostly. Zeno, Mandarim, Ronan, Ultron, Loki, Dark Elves, Killmonger... All of them are just one-layered bad guy.

If they had given the treatment they gave to Thanos, to build a motive and reasoning that's actually something better than just being a bigot, they could've made way better movies

Hank pym and janet instead of scott. They gave both hank and Reed's role to stark

Ronan worked on a very Ghostbusters-esque level because it was a nice contrast against the silly and diverse cast of heroes. It would have slowed down the movie more to really do too much else with him.

> Cap 2 was a shit movie with good fights. Both have glaring flaws that didn't get fixed later on.
I can't think of a single flaw with Winter Soldier.

shit villain

> the Mandarin twist would have been better if it was serious, and not just comic relief
> a "Civil War" being just about dozen guys, not a more global story.
> Spidey's ties to Stark are too present, having these bloated boat and plane scenes instead of tigh aerial chase and combat in the city with Vulture.
> making Banner a total chump
> Making Mads boring in Doctor Strange

Two things are bad from GotG: Ronan and the Nova Corps

I wouldn't mind having the Collector actually being their Main Villain, and him trying to collect the stones before Thanos.

Had Jude Law be Mar-Vell instead of some random villain who dies in one shot. He would have been a good mentor character.
Also had Carol be a bit less sanctimonious and cocky, but honestly that bothers me a lot less than how they used Mar-Vell.

Vision getting a solo movie would be nice. I feel like he was just a walking plot device in the Avengers/Civil War films, he never really developed on his own.
Scarlet witch deserves her own film, too, but there's still a possibility of that.

Thor not speaking in ye olde English was a bit of a let down
Also in general, they missed out a lot of good opportunities to quote from the comics directly (for every character, not just Thor)- "Ultron, we would have words with thee" comes to mind

Kept the original script for Ragnarok

not enough Justin hammer

you do know that the Film division is almost entirely separate from the comics division of Marvel, right?

I regret the missed opportunity with Thanos Earth in vasion.
They shouldve kept him around for another movie. A film with focus on military campaign. So far it was just a disorganized bunch of superheroes obliterating a disciplined hoard of galaxy conquerors (some of which possess superpowers too). Its not how battles and wars work. There should be planning, construction, retreats and camping.

I want full Roman style Thanos invasion. He shouldve decimated the superheroes once again in that battle, but nah. Gung ho capes always win, cos they are special. Ye, brit chariots were superior to Caesar infantry based troops. It took him 2 yrs to destroy brits. Hannibal had elephants, which died in first battles after Alps crossing. Parthian troops were based on horse skirmishers that were a literal superweapon Romans coule not parry. Still Ventidius drove them off Syria with strategic genius.

Overall, mcu shouldve had more serious approach to military operations to show that even superhumans can lose to inferior enemies and die if they are outsmarted, hasty or overconfident.

Civil War was retarded and should have been shorter and the Sokvoia accords added nothing to any story.

I do love the MCU but threads like this remind me why I am excited by the prospect of an animated Marvel Universe in the style of Spider-Verse that is more closely tied to the comics or can explore the type of frenetic energy and shit the live-actions films never could.

What was it?

>With the Golden Age of the MCU now over

How does a series of tepid action movies constitute a "Golden Age"?

Because they're never going to sign an actor as good as Downey again.

Favreau is a talented director with a vision. He fought with the studio and pushed and pulled for months and finally talked them into hiring his burnout punchline friend RDJ. Then the script was complete shit so Favreau had RDJ and Jeff Bridges improvise the whole thing on set, Then Favreau thought it would be cool so he tossed in a post-credit scene teasing the Avengers despite the studio having zero knowledge of it or plan to follow through. Feige had essentially zero creative input.

One of the best of the MCU and the movie that created the MCU is the complete opposite of a movie that the MCU would let get made today.

damn i keep forgetting how cool iron mans early suits actually looked

>-Black Widow underused and never really getting into the nitty-gritty of her red ledger.
Theres a Black Widow solo movie confirmed for phase 4. Guess what it has to be about since she's dead now.

>making Midtown some sort of technical school for "geniuses" doesn't make it better,
Midtown Science High has always been that, read some fucking comics.

They should have tie better the whole Tony and Cap have a fallout in their friendship. As it is it feels more like Tony was a jackass while everyone else was cool with it.

Are you retarded? Alexander Pierce was kino

>every single movie before GOTG was bad
Only real good movie in MCU is Iron Man 1 and that is it. Everything else in quipfest.

>Vision getting a solo movie would be nice. I feel like he was just a walking plot device in the Avengers/Civil War films, he never really developed on his own.

Yeah Vision was the biggest waste. He was barely in AoU, barely in Civil War, and then died in IW after spending most of the film damaged.

He never really got to show off his stuff.

>Cap 2 was a shit movie
We finally found him, the man with the shittest taste

Attached: ltuc7fnammv21.jpg (579x329, 17K)

A lot more darker

Nah, don't worry MCU, Superheroes are people too and people make mistakes, that's why superheroes need to think carefully so they won't make mistakes because they are very powerful and they could burn down the cities.

"With a great power comes a great responsibility".

Attached: Anti venom.jpg (360x360, 47K)

>Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war, invaders create avengers,

Ok good...

>people create smaller people? Uh, children! I lost the word there. Children.

For fuck sake.

Pretty much. Would have worked better if it was just 'And people create children... the very things that exist to supplant them' and then maybe finish that off with some line about how that's exactly what he'll do with Stark. I remain convinced Ultron's shit personality would have went down a lot sweeter if his design was not so utterly shite.

>Anti-Venom
Man, that story line was such a cancer.

Attached: tumblr_pi93iub8CY1ro33voo1_1280.jpg (893x576, 330K)

You're both contrarian idiot children with terrible taste.

If Ultron only behaved as he does at the party, and got a more comic book level appearance, it would be fine. Also Ultron should have been a problem worldwide, with drones everywhere, it should have actually felt like an age of ultron.

>Grey Hulk (and also explore Bruce Banner's schizophrenia)
>Doctor Strange wears the yellow gloves (he just wore them in Ragnarok, but never again)
>Quicksilver is not killed, and has his comic personality and looks
>Ultron is not a joke
>The Avengers form by accident, SHIELD is not trying to unite them
>Tony and others keep their secret identities, at least for a while
Bucky gets chosen to be the next Captain America
>they actually make a Serpent Society movie
>acknowledge the tv shows (even netflix)
>Spider-Man is closer to the comics (Feige said in an interview that the MCU Spider-Man would be the one who would stick the closest to the comics, but he ended up being the one who most deviated)

I'know, i would've actually liked if Peter TOLD Ned and Aunt May about his secret identity. But with them just finding out by accident, it feels like Parker's just a dumbass who doesn't take this whole superhero thing seriously.