1991-2018

drive.google.com/open?id=13BXGa0JqTYOMgJGrXuDOFQKN1iYeRoux

1991-2018

Attached: guide-to-sonic-comics-cover-1098159.jpg (655x341, 41K)

are the comics good

>are the comics good

Don't read anything before Flynn and Yardley take over and you'll be OK, but drowned in trash continuity as Flynn/Yardley spend the first two years cleaning house. Really, just start at the soft reboot #252. The opening arc is pretty pointless (the characters go on a quest to regain memories of the old continuity only to immediately lose them at the end), but it's the only jumping on point post-Dark Ages you can really get.

They only deleted the threads about the movie, which has nothing to do with comics or cartoons.
This thread is about the comics, so it's fine.

I know but I'm not going to make an entire thread to RRREEE, I'll just piggy back onto a tangentially related subject.

And it's more of a cartoon than goddamn MCU movies.

Starting with #252 is probably best, but it still isn't a great reading experience.

>A "version" of the previous continuity happened, but also merged with all the Sega games, so it lightens the continuity load and burdens it at the same time
>The first arc, as you mentioned, is completely and utterly pointless
>Flynn had run out of steam and ideas by this point and so arcs are draaaaaaaagged out and become so decompressed that they get boring as Hell
>All the back and forth with Universe and then the massive crossovers with Mega Man mean that you have to track down a shit ton of books that aren't part of the main series to try and get the whole narrative (the first MM crossover led into the reboot, so you can skip that one, but the second and much bigger one is a pointless and annoying distraction that unfortunately can't be skipped)
>And the series ends abruptly without any closure on any of its ongoing arcs (which is true of the series pre-reboot) and so you won't get any kind of closure, it just stops all of a sudden

To be honest, there is no good way to read the Archie Sonic comics because they aren't good comics. You can try, though.

If you're familiar with SatAM and the games, then read on from 160. There's so much you would've missed, but it still has some flow to it and you may manage to get invested while piecing together what's happened.

For silly fun to awkward but still pretty good transition to serious stories, read 1-50.

There's also loads of specials/separate other comic series that directly influence the main book. The comic becomes more consistent after 160, and a bit sterile and boring - but newcomer friendly - after 252, but that's just my opinion. If you like Sonic, you'll likely find something you like in there, but boy do things get crazy sometimes, good and bad.

If every live-action movie with a CG special effect in it qualified as an animated film, then we might as well merge Yea Forums with Yea Forums.

Anyone confirmed the link is safe?

Got a warning explicitly calling the Sonic movie off-topic.

Lazy-ass mods need to correct, not just punish. If we can't post it here then tell me where I fucking can.

It's google drive and it's a zip file. It's fine. I haven't downloaded it because 12GB is huge, but as long as there are no executable files in there, you're fine.

>we might as well merge Yea Forums with Yea Forums.
Yea Forums is already merged with Yea Forums

>which has nothing to do with comics or cartoons.
just like all the capeshit movies?

>Don't read anything before Flynn and Yardley take over
Nigger, DeCesare's strips are arguably better than Ian's.

I want to take a moment to shame JenHen's art. It's horrible. I never thought I'd see MSPaint backgrounds in a published comic.

And yet it's still better than any Archie Sonic art from #75-159.

>Better than Axer, Gray, Spaz, Colleen Doran, even Fry.
Not really. She draws characters on model, but everything else is abysmal.

Just read IDW Sonic
yeah but mods are MCUfags, it gets a free pass, complain about those not being deleted instead of complaining about the shitty sonic movie threads getting deleted

>complain about those not being deleted
that's what I was doing

Capeshit/MCU threads don't have anons posting about (insert e-celeb)'s input, unlike Sonic movie threads which keep referencing Chris-chan. Seems that mods will just prune a thread outright if somebody references him to avoid the thread spiraling into something else.

>pretending to sperg out about blue arms
It wasn't funny in the last thread, or in the thread before that. Stop doing it, and maybe the thread will live to breathe for 2 more hours.

>just like all the capeshit movies?

At the very least, capeshit movies are based on capeshit comics. The Sonic movie is not based on the Sonic comics, it's based on the Sonic video games. Comics are nowhere in the equation.

On the whole, no, but they're one hell of a curio. Ignore people who say to skip stuff. The really bad comics are half the fun.

The Archie comics are at their best/worst right around the Adventure era, because that's also right when the artists discovered anime and try to draw "anime style" in the book for the first time. And it is the same caliber of art that you'd see NOW on Deviant Art, except it's an officially-licensed-by-Sega-yes-they-actually-looked-at-this-and-approved-it Sonic the Hedgehog comic. The terribleness is baffling and you can't look away. And the art is that How To Draw Manga tier weebshit for like a hundred issues straight, until Tracy Yardley takes over and the editors try to get the book to look a little less embarrassing.

I dunno, it's pretty bad.

apparently part of the anime look is because editor Justin Gabrie wanted the artists to make their art look anime-esque because anime was starting to get popular in the west

Jen Hen's art in the annual look better than they did in issue 3: she needs to be paired up with a *good* colorist and while she's not a good colorist she's a better colorist than the one who worked on issue 3

>Flynn said he and the editor fought over the memory thing, Flynn didn't want it at all
>having to plan story arcs around forced 4-issue format and forced crossovers

I'm not saying he's without his flaws, but he was fighting an uphill battle even before Sega's meddling.

I disagree. The inks are better, but the labelling and backgrounds are exponentially worse. The colors aren't the issue at all.