Whatever happened to creativity and originality in American animated movies?

Whatever happened to creativity and originality in American animated movies?

Attached: C1E5769E-4F03-4E0A-8F82-80DB753A8E11.jpg (750x1118, 721K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yE3cXlcqFqA
youtube.com/watch?v=AZUz_KhFzgc
pesfilm.com
youtube.com/watch?v=Xhrm196UQSY
youtube.com/watch?v=fbSIQeL4ZK8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

CGI happened.

This
I'm pissed the Blue Sky spy movie couldn't just be a full on spy movie period. Nah we gotta go full early 2000s and have one really shitty gimmick that makes it different from all the other stuff.
Also Frozen 2 will be nowhere near as great of a Disney sequel as Tangled: The Series

You grew up

At least they’re making Nimona.

Nimona is a good story, right?

Capitalism. Nobody makes movies in the United States without expecting major profits, even though that's not how film production works in the rest of the world.

>even though that's not how film production works in the rest of the world.
That's sound kinda contradictory, but elaborate.

We’re getting these from Japan

Attached: F6FE8340-FF68-45D4-87CC-55E50AA88548.jpg (2048x1970, 1.24M)

Half of these look like the exact same movie

Most feature films outside of America rarely make back their budget and usually rely on some kind of government assistance.

>boring coming of age/romance dramas
Can't tell what top right is and bottom right is just Kill la Kill 2.0

>That disgusting amount of blue
And then John K praise Japan for its "color theory"

This one is a better response. As a thirdworld user most national animated movies are assisted by the goverment, but still most of them are bullshit.

>Also
I'm pretty sure that festival animated movies are quiet common in murica, I mean, movies aside from mainstream comercial garbage.

Attached: 7d8e8f1e4d15316be145a197e409abbc356a4ea687cece6cc8eacc0b1aca6a13.jpg (500x426, 20K)

Don't try and post anime on Yea Forums. Anons will try to come up with any reason to hate it. Use french/chinese/russian animation as a positive example instead

>le ebin romance movie that's just an overly stylized romcom that looks pretty but has nothing meaningful to say
WOAOOAAAAAH THIS IS SO KINO AMERICA BTFO
Granted I wish more mature animated films were more common here but whatever, at least what few have aren't this shit

Serious sour grapes.

Has Ilya Kuvshinov finally made his own movie?

Forgive me user, I'm stressed and up too late and resorted to doling out my anger on innocent films that I'm sure are great. I'm feeling pretty fucking pathetic right now with all that in mind, not gonna lie.

It's alright user. It be like that sometimes.

>Nimona is a good story, right?

Attached: 1543397345881.gif (320x240, 323K)

Yeah because rehashing old fair tales is original isn't it?

>>That disgusting amount of blue
>And then John K praise Japan for its "color theory"

it is noticeable but it's still far more visually appealing than the garbage in op's pic

Faggot.

bullshit, it has been like this ever since direct-to-vhs.
Also,
Cinderella 1 > Cinderella 3 > Cinderella 2

Attached: 1526211391416.jpg (559x1024, 59K)

>Tangled: The Series
IS it any good? Any good barefoot sole shots?

Attached: 46F3CA2E-E4AC-450B-A7BD-3B5FE83332F1.jpg (1280x720, 549K)

>This can't be from the actual show right? Some fan-art?
>looks it up
>its real
thanks user, adding to my list

Attached: 18.png (1024x576, 652K)

Her real quote is, “The important thing is that you’re comfortable.”
Which is probably just as good. But this caption actually lines up pretty good?
Season 2 Episode 9, if you're wondering.

Attached: asdfasdfasdfasdf.gif (640x480, 1.78M)

It's been gone for a while.

Attached: grannyjafar.jpg (720x548, 23K)

Only read the webcomic (couldn't find the graphic novel it became) - it's alright. Blake-ish artstyle kinda fits the tone they were going for, so it's bearable, at least.

Though, I hear the homosexual tension between the dueling protagonists culminates in the graphic novel - if so, ol' "Republican family values" Disney will either not let this (even the development of it) pass slide or will make this aspect play out in such bad taste (a la GadFou) that even the gays will be offended.

Doesn't explain why the same doesn't apply to 3D anime.

They don't. You're either making things up or there's something wrong with your brain.

>boring coming of age/romance dramas
How would you know that?

>That disgusting amount of blue
Many of them coincidentally feature the sky or the water, which usually are blue.

>le ebin romance movie that's just an overly stylized romcom that looks pretty but has nothing meaningful to say
What are you even talking about?

>And then John K praise Japan for its "color theory"

One sentence. All it takes is one sentence to know that you are worthless filthy pig and the world would be better off if you were dead.

Money.

To elaborate on what said, animated films cost a crapload to make and pretty much all films now are expected to make not just a profit but at least double their budget back or it's not a success.

It's one thing to take minimal risks with meet cutes or slasher films or court dramas that aren't that expensive to make apart from getting big celebs to sign on, but animation has to be visually impressive. It *has* to draw in big crowds even if it's just kids in summer time wanting to see fart jokes and slapstick on the big screen.

As such, studios are averse to taking risks. They see themselves as unable to afford it. Sequels of successes (or reboots) at least ensure a portion of the original audience will come back.

I mean, just for the sake of discussion, imagine if Disney stopped making sequels amid original projects and bankrolled 6 or 7 entirely original films that were *all* duds. Not unappreciated good movies, but half a dozen films that were completely unpopular and didn't even have the saftey net of drawing in sequel crowds. That could cost them literal billions, and the goal of the game here is to make *all* the money. Not just a profit.

Don’t forget that modern audiences are literally retarded and just want the same spoonful of baby food scraped off their chins every time they go to a theater. 90% of Yea Forums is these morons hooting about lookalike CGI superhero movies. Why would their awful taste be different when it comes to “animated” movies? It’s going to be the same ugly models and the same fart jokes and the same “believe in yourself!” moral every time.

>Whatever happened to creativity and originality in American animated movies?
The companies that used to compete with one another now cooperate, creating an environment of low standards.
Luckily, there's plenty of innovation happening in the rest of the world.

Attached: international animation 2019.jpg (2668x2883, 2.25M)

Well I mean Spiderverse won an Academy and Laika Studios keep pumping out great stopmotion, so it's not completely dead.
It just looks dead if you only focus on the negative.

Missing Link came out and you didn’t see it.
All of you are to blame for this

The Studio Trigger movie looks like the only interesting movie. The rest look like the typical whimsical anime movie Japan shits out all the time

>the typical whimsical anime movie Japan shits out all the time
These don't exist.

>sequel, live action remake
The industry starts to lose the idea to create brand new original titles.

What film is that tenth picture with the evil Walt Disney lookalike?

A Chilean movie called Homeless. It's screening at Annecy this year. It does seem like a TV adaptation but still, the visuals were too cool to pass up.

Another thing, too, the Quirino Awards were also early April, and there was some rad animation there, too. I'm convinced Central and South America are rising stars in the global market.

Attached: quirino-awards-features-nominees-2019.jpg (800x491, 128K)

>doesn't apply to 3D anime.
3D anime abomination is new thing, while the majority is still nicely 2D,

TV was invented

3D anime isn't bad just because Berserk's meme adaptation is bad, and the point is that if 3D animation leads to movies or shows all being the same then it should also be occuring in Japan, except it isn't.

>Trigger
>Ever making anything worth seeing
LMAO

>if I arbitrarily hate anything some studio produces, everyone will see what a cool guy with good taste I am

I thought that only killed the radio star.

Why should I like them? It's on them to make something that has more to offer than just flashy animation. I'm under no obligation to like their crap.

>It's on them to make something that has more to offer than just flashy animation.
They already have, it's just that you have arbitrarily decided to hate anything they make no matter what it is. Same as all the "kyoanus" shitposters who've never seen a Kyoani show in their life.

>BRAND BAD
>why
>THE HOLY SCRIPTURE SAID IT
yikes

>Seven sequels
>Two toy movies that seem like rip-offs
>Two Sasquatch movies
>Really only two original films
Yep, not a year for creativity.

Not every year we can have Spider-Verse tier animated movie.

Oops, forgot:
>One comic strip adaptation

I know. Still, in terms of fully-animated films, it looks like the worst is behind us.

so since we're talking about animation, did you guys watch White Fang
youtube.com/watch?v=yE3cXlcqFqA

>Based on Jack London’s classic novel ‘White Fang’, this animated feature film is a touching, adventure-filled tale about the life of White Fang, a wolf dog who’s life unfold from being a puppy in the wild to dog-fighting in Fort Yukon

Anime characters are no different to actual characters in fact Anime nowadays has replaced Live Action in Japan which is subpar.

You can see how much they love their damn fishes though.

>all but the gook one are ugly.

DAMN.

I guess the Missing Link will be the best animated movie this year

how dare you

Attached: mimmi.jpg (1669x1000, 176K)

>Latvian animation

Of course Yea Forums does not know about that.

No.

It's really too bad Yea Forums doesn't pay more attention to foreign animation.

Attached: whitesnake-1280x600.jpg (1280x600, 82K)

>Chinese animation

Of course Yea Forums only cares about Japan.

The first blockbuster animated film was Snow White, an adaptation, so never

Why does this board complain about animation while refusing to acknowledge actual animation efforts?

You only remember the good stuff

Nobody’s going to remember it next year’s Academy Awards.

What good stuff?

Yea Forums has mostly North American posters that only know what they find in English.

Europeans need to make a bigger effort to distribute their cartoons in the US.

US distribution companies don't want to touch anything the didn't make themselves and they have a chokehold on the major cinemas. Where does that leave the European movies besides GKIDS and Netflix?

How does anime get such wide distribution compared to euro cartoons?

Anime fans have got more enthusiasm.

Americans only want to watch dancing animals and fart jokes while stuffing themselves with McDonalds and Big Gulps.

Yeah, you're right, everyone who hates something you like clearly just haven't seen it.

>You can see how much they love their damn fishes though.

Where is my fish anime?

Millennial writers and the zoomer market.

Goddamn it
Yea Forums might as well be anime 2.0 because you guys hate cartoons these days

Here's what happened, we got our favorite things, so why even bother looking forward to new stuff?

I can't argue with that.

I do love cartoons, user.

This. I've seen a lot of animated movies when I was a kid, but I barely remember four or five, because they were actually good.

I've seen many french cartoons in TV when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure Wakfu is airing in CN philipies, but we are talking about just an european country.
>Also
This today most animes are shared via illegal streamings. In latin america, In the 80's-90's the TV channels were saturaded with cheap jap toons and shows. Japanese animation companies basically saturaded the market and that's why unfortunately my father's generation and mine are pretty obssesed over Dragon Ball.

Fucking freaks

Plus Boomer producers.

I still put most of the blame on the people making and the people buying.

How is this /pol/ when it's actually true? Speaking as an Amerifat drinking a Big Gulp right now.

So then it'd be Boomer producers and Boomer consumers then. Millennial are the whipping boys/girls and Zoomers are getting ready for that lifestyle.

No one here actually watches/reads Yea Forums media made outside of America. As a result, you get the narrative that it’s Murrica VS The Warcrimes and all other parties can fucks off and surprise surprise Japan steamrolls America nearly every time.

The Wolf House was released last year from Chile. The stop motion is as good as Laika. It was my favorite Yea Forums movie besides Homecoming. I think Yea Forums would love this one more than Missing Link.

youtube.com/watch?v=AZUz_KhFzgc

Attached: 7D40D9AF-541A-47BD-A9A0-3A678CE6D6BE.jpg (928x523, 89K)

I don't know why I came in here thinking anyone was gonna attempt to have any sort of discussion in good faith.

Be the change you want to see.

Ow, the edge.

It became less profitable.

There is zero reason on this earth to work harder for less money.

Attached: RsygBAn.jpg (260x260, 28K)

>As good as Laika
I disagree. The are parts of the movie where you can clearly see the marks of the animators hands and traces of Scotch tape. It not a really clean work, althought it's kinda neat to see people doing new stuff. I've never seen a "wall" stoo motion before.

The german accent mi ed with spanish adds more eerie to the movie but It's kinda hard to follow, I don't think It would be loved my normies but snob people and someone looking for something new and experimental.

Attached: IMG_4360.jpg (1078x938, 145K)

What modern stop motion is as good as Laika?

Never existed mate

Attached: Screenshot_20190502-103027.png (1080x2160, 185K)

Also the version of The Maltese Falcon with Humphrey Bogart is the third adaptation of a very popular book by Dashiell Hammett.

Pesfilms, Svanmajer.

pesfilm.com

Junk Head

>a Shinkai film
>not made expecting major profits

>Svanmajer

You had one job.

Your Name was the first movie of his that was a major success, and Weathering With You isn't going to be studio movie made by committee.

>Jan Švankmajer
Are you happy now?

I love how you specified "American" instead of "western" so I can't post all those amazing French movies that came out in the past decade. You're still an ignorant fuck face who should consider watching some cartoons before you make unsubstantiated claims about them.

Attached: american animated films.jpg (972x1009, 439K)

Not until Jiri Barta gets as much respect.

>The Prince's Voyage by Laguionie
>tfw we still haven't gotten Louise by the Shore yet

FPBP

The Pied Piper is one of my favorite animated films, but Toys in the Attic was fucking awful.
Svankmajer hasn't made a single bad film.

>Svankmajer hasn't made a single bad film.

Sileni (Lunacy) was fucking awful.

Great taste.

Hi autismo. Daily reminder that autism is real, you have it, and anime has shit animation

youtube.com/watch?v=Xhrm196UQSY
I don’t know why this isn’t getting more hype from animation and film journalists. Perhaps it’s the anti-Russian bias?

Better writing as well.

Attached: CF2BF916-EEB0-41A9-B5F2-C6E758E40A49.jpg (282x400, 32K)

>It took 17 years to make this stop motion-animated feature film. The film used puppet animation exclusively and avoided using computer animation for special effects.
>Sōyuzmultfilm

Then explain movies like Cinderella 3

Disney sequels were mostly straight to video shit. Cinderella III was good even taking into account the others.

You sick fuck.

You wish.

>Animation fans: waah why aren't there any 2d animated movies why is there nothing but shitty cg
>Lionsgate, Warner Bros., and Funimation: *make 2d movies*
>Animation fans: *don't see them*
>Animation fans: waah why aren't there any original or artistically ambitious animated movies why is there nothing but Disney sequels and minions
>Laika and Wes Anderson: *make original and artistically ambitious animated movies*
>Animation fans: *don't see them*
I DON UNERSTAN

They want more mature, action-oriented animated features, not just arthouse stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=fbSIQeL4ZK8

Attached: DA60F535-F51A-4E20-BFA7-373736CD475B.jpg (620x919, 232K)

Action doesn't make something mature.

It's almost like dedicated animation fans
are a much smaller group of people than the general family audience.