Does DC hate relationships?

I'm just browsing through some Aquaman, after enjoying the movie and never been that interested in him before, and finding Mera and him apparantly seperated (divorced even, if she is going to remarry) was an unpleasant surprise. I've always head people here on Yea Forums saying they were one of the strongest and most genuine feelings couples in comics.

Then there is the Batman and Catwoman thing. And Superman and Lois. And Dick being Ric aside, he was never allowed to settle down with Kory, Babs, and never returned interest in other girls (Donna? Kara?) she seemed to be interested and might have been good matches. Are Ollie and his pretty bird a thing at the moment?

It just seems odd to me. What actually happened with Aquaman and Mera? And am I better goign back to post-crisis for stories about them?

Attached: RCO006_1548295074.jpg (1041x1600, 539K)

>Does DC hate relationships?
Yes. Both of the big two are rather infamous for having a rather shitty and wrongheaded view about marriage. Allegedly, marriage ages characters and makes them less cool to the readers. Never mind that said readers themselves are primarily adults, and that DC revels in needlessly dark and "mature" storytelling.

A good example of this nonsense is when Gail Simone was going to have Hippolyta and Philippus get married, since they had been a thing for a long time. Dan Didio said no, and for no real reason. At this point, one presumes editorial is full of bitter old men who have some issues to work out.

While yes The heads of DC hate marriage, currently Aquaman is presumed Dead and Mera is being railroaded to find a new Suiter

Didio is notorious for hating character development, along with Harras, and one of the aims of the New 52 was to undo as much of it as possible.
People are blaming Bendis and Deconnick for the current downplaying of Superman and Aquaman's relationships with Lois and Mera respectively, but longtime readers know that at least half of it is Didio's agenda.

Dick's relationship issues are actually a different story, though. First, understand that particularly at that time each company was made up of "fiefdoms", where writers and editors would control certain lines of books, and basically not allow characters to be shared between them.
So in the 70's Dick was being basically downplayed and distanced from Batman as much as possible, at first because Robin was considered outdated, and then because people wanted Robin to be younger again so they wanted to push Jason more.
Then in the 80's suddenly the Teen Titans line got super popular. So Dick was now a part of that fiefdom and not Batman anymore, hence why he got his own identity as Nightwing, and why he was paired with new character Starfire instead of, say, Batgirl.
Throughout the 90's the new rulers of the Bat fiefdom, particularly Chuck Dixon, wanted Dick back, so he was written out of Titans, his relationship with Starfire was disintegrated because she was a Titans character and he was pushed with Babs because she was a Bat character.

We don't really know why his relationship with Babs was so will-they/won't-they but I don't think that was specifically because of a dislike of relationships. Dick just got fucked over and over and over again throughout the 00's because of Didio, though. He HATES the character.

Attached: didio.jpg (216x288, 18K)

And Mera, former RED LANTER, is just going along with it?

Didio hates marriage and want everyone to be single. He wants DC to be an edgier Marvel.

>Does DC hate relationships?
Duh. Why would either company want their toys getting married? This shit is money FOREVER! What good is satisfying one generation of readers by letting the "heroes grow up with them", when you can just keep the heroes in the prime of relationship drama forever?

What do you want me to tell you, it’s bad writing through and through at least with Abnett the Marriage was a goal that kept getting sidetracked because of shit going down in Atlantis

Is Didio married?

It's not that he hates real life marriage, he just doesn't like characters to seem older than like 25-27, he wants people to walk in right after seeing the movies and feel completely at home like they haven't missed anything.

>and finding Mera and him apparantly seperated (divorced even, if she is going to remarry) was an unpleasant surprise.

I'm assuming you're just picking up from KSD's run? Because if you are then you'd know it's because everyone thinks Aquaman is dead right now and as queen of Atlantis she needs to marry a suitable candidate out of political necessity. This plotline's apparently gonna get resolved in July.

>after enjoying the movie and never been that interested in him before
>was an unpleasant surprise
Not OPs fault. It's not the best jump-on point that people who liked movie could have.

I mean I can, because it quite clearly establishes that Aquaman has amnesia, everyone outside thinks he's dead, Mera is still clearly pining for him while thinking he's dead, and is only marrying out of political necessity. It's still a pretty garbage run so far, but this has all laid out pretty clearly so far.

Eh Selina and Bruce still love each other and will eventually get back together despite what happened with the wedding.

DC doesn’t understand the concept of Love and Happiness, it is like an alien concept to them. They only understand Suicide, Depression, and Grimdarkness (and even they have a poor understand of that given their quality).

You are better off with Manga.

This shit's just the Odyssey, right?

I want to fuck Mera so bad...

But Mera wouldn't do that, because unless Mera has changed quite a bit she didn't give a fuck about politics.

They actually do. DiDio (and others) has explicitly admitted it. They think that superheroes shouldn't be married because it eliminates the option for "relationship plots".

>because unless Mera has changed quite a bit she didn't give a fuck about politics
She did change quite a bit, as seen quite clearly in Abnett's Aquaman series where Arthur basically begged her to become Queen to keep Atlantis from falling apart.

>reading DC post New 52
Well there is your problem.

Johns got caught Weinstein-ing it and his wife left him

>And am I better goign back to post-crisis for stories about them?
Yes. Especially the way DC is going now.

She is a good witch and she really cares about the queen, the queen will understand it very soon.

Given how his fans whine over every little thing I’d hate the character too

Post crisis Aquaman had an even more bitter Mera, you dumbass Johnstard. Johns' head canon hasn't always existed.

>A CHARACTER WAS DIFFERENT UNDER A DIFFERENT WRITER YOU TARD
No shit Sherlock

Arthur and Mera were separated since the Bronze age, dumbass. They werent in a "happily ever after" marriage like Johnstards claim it to be. Johnstards don't read comics and take Johns' head canon as official canon.

I want Mera to softly dominate my waifu.

Because it was nice having Mera and Aquaman happily married, instead of the bronze age clusterfuck.

They haven't ever been married since then.